Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    EU is still in fishing fully for next 5 and half years and we dont know the terms after, so can kicked there.

Level playing field is in effect.

So what did the UK get out of this?

Blue passports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. It only matters if they believe they can convince others that it is a good deal.

Matt Cooper remarked today that everything Johnson says about the deal will be a lie : that should be your only reference point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The whole thing has been choreographed.

All PR as per usual with BoJo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Boris has got a great fisheries deal, said goodbye to the ECJ, full control over GB borders and a free trade deal.

RTE in tears. Clinging to the believe that the mickey mouse states can object. FFS.
    Diplomats from EU member states, which would have to approve any technical agreement, were less optimistic however, warning that they still needed to see a text and that problems may remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Boris has got a great fisheries deal, said goodbye to the ECJ, full control over GB borders and a free trade deal.

RTE in tears. Clinging to the believe that the mickey mouse states can object. FFS.

Well done the UK. Wishing them the very best of luck. Bye bye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Matt Cooper remarked today that everything Johnson says about the deal will be a lie : that should be your only reference point.

Hmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Christy42 wrote: »
    If that is true then it is simply a permanent transition agreement. In the EU in all but name. If true obviously.
    No - they don't get the benefits of membership - no freedom of movement, no freedom of services, no access to security databases or ability to return refugees- the things that are most important to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

All I am hearing is a bunch of can kicking. Everything seems to be staying as it currently is in terms of fishing, trade etc but will be looked at again in 4/5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

All I am hearing is a bunch of can kicking. Everything seems to be staying as it currently is in terms of fishing, trade etc but will be looked at again in 4/5 years

Brexiteers won’t be happy.
    But what’s new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭gifted

So fast forward 5 years and it turns out that the UK is doing well....good economy..low unemployment..etc etc...what are the chances of other countries like Holland..Spain...France looking at the UK and saying " Let's leave as well"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭20silkcut

That’s a good result

fash wrote: »
    No - they don't get the benefits of membership - no freedom of movement, no freedom of services, no access to security databases or ability to return refugees- the things that are most important to them.

How many British go live in the EU countries? A sizeable number but they prefer Auz,Canada,NZ etc.

Just like the Irish.

So from what I can follow (when it was in english)

Fishing stays as it currently is but will be renegotiated in 5.5 years

Level playing field and access remains as it currently does but the UK will have the opportunity to negotiate terms in 4-5 years.

It's a can kick, it's all a ****ing can kick. Typical Boris

gifted wrote: »
    So fast forward 5 years and it turns out that the UK is doing well....good economy..low unemployment..etc etc...what are the chances of other countries like Holland..Spain...France looking at the UK and saying " Let's leave as well"......

The Euro makes it much more difficult to leave.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

How many British go live in the EU countries? A sizeable number but they prefer Auz,Canada,NZ etc.

Just like the Irish.

Plenty of British in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Yeah, RTE really don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

am i missing something here
    so the UK must maintain the same standards as the EU in order to have free trade access to EU market however they no longer
    have to pay to the EU gravy train, they can control migration from other EU countries.
    they can do trade deals with rest of world as long as it is inline with EU trade deals and they have slightly restricted EU access to fish in their waters.
    SO tell me what has the UK lost in real terms that is detrimental to them, I just cant see what it is???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

I remember David Davis saying, what seems like a long time ago now, "There will be a fudge..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

wpd wrote: »
    so the UK must maintain the same standards as the EU in order to have free trade access to EU market however they no longer
    have to pay to the EU gravy train, they can control migration from other EU countries.
    they can do trade deals with rest of world as long as it is inline with EU trade deals and they have slightly restricted EU access to fish in their waters.
    SO tell me what has the UK lost in real terms that is detrimental to them, I just cant see what it is???

They have no say in the rules and standards? I think theres a word they used for describing it, now what was it? Oh yeah Sovereignty what this was all supposedly about.

devnull wrote: »
    Plenty of British in Spain.

Around 250,000. A sizeable number alright.

1.2million live in Auz.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36299682

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Whats the crack with the North???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Johnson spinning up a storm

My understanding is they do still have to pay in for the cooperation services they are part of. Freedom of movement is the only area I'm not sure about as no one has said anything about it.

This isnt a win for the UK, it's a secret extension of the transition period so Boris could save face on his "no extension" bravado.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Around 250,000. A sizeable number alright.

1.2million live in Auz.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36299682

750k in Spain. Second only to Australia. 250k is France, same amount as Canada/NZ etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They used to have the 6 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Antwerpian

fash wrote: »

The Brexiteers
    FOM --- didnt want it
    Services --- The city isnt as bothered as you think
    Security Databases -- The UK security services believe they can go solo or just get back door access they also believe the EuroSecurity is untrustworthy
    Return Refugees -- Look at the ERG , they won't be saving drowning refugees

These people see what ordinary decent human beings see as natural as anathema.

Sorry to be so negative.
    As a Briton who's been enjoying the benefits of the EEC/EU for most if my life, living and working throughout Europe fir the past 21 years, I fail to see how else I can be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Johnson spinning up a storm

He needs to. UK now bound indefinitely to future negotiations when they need to deviate on standards, including when the EU strengthens its own standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not quite sure your take is accurate, what does this even mean?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Full Agreement has now been published here:
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2531

Checklist on what they have vs a full member here:
    https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1342129505540984837

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

How is 25% quota and 5.5 years of the status quo "a great fisheries deal"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement