Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Leroy42 wrote: »
    As others have pointed out there will be massive spin, on both sides but mainly UK, of this deal.

The only way to really tell is to see how things stand in a few weeks. Just like the WA, those on twitter etc have not actually seen the deal so any comments are guessing.

You won't get the truth from either the UK or EU press conferences

There won't be massive spin on the EU side. Why would there be?

What do they have to spin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

30% of Italians aged 18-30 have never held a full time job ffs.

The EU project is all about protectionism.

Surely a good outcome for any free market 80's-Thatcher-inspired union-smashing UK voter though? All those lovely zero hour contracts?

I wonder what the corresponding figure is for the UK. Would it be much (or any) lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Notice how in one post there is a complaint about Italian unemployment and in other post complaining about tariffs on Italian shoes there to protect employment in Italy

It’s like brexit switches off critical thinking

But thats my point. Tariffs and protectionism costs Italy jobs.

Thatw why so many are unemployed in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Surely a good outcome for any free market 80's-Thatcher-inspired union-smashing UK voter though? All those lovely zero hour contracts?

I wonder what the corresponding figure is for the UK. Would it be much (or any) lower?

Have you been to Europe lately? Middle-aged men working as waiters on minimum wage. FFS.

The EU didn't stop zero hour contracts nor will it. How else will immigrants deliver takeaways on bicycles to Europeans for a pittance?

• Advertisement

gifted wrote: »
    So fast forward 5 years and it turns out that the UK is doing well....good economy..low unemployment..etc etc...what are the chances of other countries like Holland..Spain...France looking at the UK and saying " Let's leave as well"......

Zero

Theses are countries who aren't governed by rabid racist nationalism. They see the benefits of the EU.

Good to see our resident Brexiters are in now that the "deal" has been done.

What an absolute pointless 4 years.

The Euro makes it much more difficult to leave.

But we don't want to leave. So it's moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,286 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There will be a lot of Brexiters that come next year will think. '' I think I'll go live in Spain and go work there for a 6 months''

Eh no you won't.

Reality about to hit the Brits who love to travel into Europe.

Around 250,000. A sizeable number alright.

1.2million live in Auz.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36299682

Does anyone care?

Is there any relevance to how many Brits are strewn across the world asking for egg and chips?

Honestly, your bleeting about Brexit has risen up a number of octaves. It's a familiar pattern of those who keep trying to convince themselves of how great it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Antwerpian

That’s wto tarrifs for you, I thought brexiteers love wto?

Actually I believe WTO set limits( in practice recommendations) individual countries can set their own tariffs as long as they're universal

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Seems to be a consensus from UK analysts that it's not a great deal, not that it could even be one anyway, and Johnson is just waffling with little factual accuracy.

So no change and exactly as the more informed on here had expected it to go.

Yet Ireland and most other European countries are the opposite and still are European Union members. Explain

Parasitic mafia operations play a big hand in destroying their economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Zero

Theses are countries who aren't governed by rabid racist nationalism. They see the benefits of the EU.

And not forgetting how this process has undermined NI relationship with the rest of the UK. I'm not going to shed any years for the DUP, but Brexit has been a disaster for the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Zero

You obviously don't know much about European politics. If think Britain is racist wait till you hear about Hungary, Poland, Greece etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So we'll have no tariffs but we'll still have full customs controls on parcels for vat, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

There appears to be a replacement for EHIC

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1342150050907086849

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

joe40 wrote: »
    And not forgetting how this process has undermined NI relationship with the rest of the UK. I'm not going to shed any years for the DUP, but Brexit has been a disaster for the north.
    I'd argue the opposite actually but that's purely because I think a united Ireland will overall benefit the economy in the north more than remaining in a union where they are considered a forgotten corner of the country. Such a union will obviously come at a cost (esp. for the South) but hey; the question was only on NI :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

murphaph wrote: »
    So we'll have no tariffs but we'll still have full customs controls on parcels for vat, right?
    Yes; VAT applicable on any goods and duties for alcohol, tobacco etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭yagan

There will be a lot of Brexiters that come next year will think. '' I think I'll go live in Spain and go work there for a 6 months''

Eh no you won't.

Reality about to hit the Brits who love to travel into Europe.

There's a lot of Brits who still haven't internalised the fact that they simply can't move to Spain seamlessly like in the past. It will be interesting to see now how many unregistered Brits live cash in hand in Spain. There's supposedly thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭gifted

Zero

But wasn't the UK governed by David Cameron at that time of their stay/leave referendum who wasn't exactly a rabid racist nationalist?....

I'm wondering down the line in 5 years or so that if ..if...the UK are doing really well then a lot of other countries will start questioning the point of staying in the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Without doubt London and the UK has become the dumping ground for cheap EU labour as southern Europe continues to fail under the Euro.

I was one of that cheap labour. UK taxman, pubs, shops and landlords got just as much out of me as I got out of the UK.

Immigration is a symbiotic relationship and not johnny foreigner ripping off poor old Albion

But wasn't the UK governed by David Cameron at that time of their stay/leave referendum who wasn't exactly a rabid racist nationalist?....

I'm wondering down the line in 5 years or so that if ..if...the UK are doing really well then a lot of other countries will start questioning the point of staying in the EU?

Irish people still saying all Brexit was about racism.. just sounds silly at this stage. If that was the case, half of the EU countries would leave the union where racism is far worse than the UK or Ireland.

Brits don't see themselves as Europeans. They never have and never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Let’s not forget this deal was not yet approved by uk parliament, remember May thinking she had a deal

Labour will vote for this deal. And Johnson has a majority of 80. It will go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Parasitic mafia operations play a big hand in destroying their economy.

Wait a minute, are you saying that some economic negatives that EU countries experience could be related to their domestic policy/issues that they have complete control over and not because of their EU membership?

I don't believe it.

Keir Starmer confirmed Labour will support the deal.

Surely he should read the deal first before making this decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Let’s not forget this deal was not yet approved by uk parliament, remember May thinking she had a deal

This is the mystery

It's only a document so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,286 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There will be a lot of small time smuggling going on to avoid paying vat. No one is going to check all trucks and vehicles going in and out of ireland/uk. The deal allows free movement without delay of those vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

yes for the ones that have weak export ecconomy they will , but even the british projections suggest that this will not be the case...

https://www.ft.com/content/72938c66-638f-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Irish people still saying all Brexit was about racism.. just sounds silly at this stage. If that was the case, half of the EU countries would leave the union where racism is far worse than the UK or Ireland.

Brits don't see themselves as Europeans. They never have and never will.

I believe thats were the racism comes in though. They view the poles etc the way Eastern Europeans view black people. Then add in the fact that there'd be plenty who thought brexit would get rid of the darkies as well and it played a huge role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

So what’s going to happen on January 1st? As they won’t have time to ratify before then right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement