Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the Corbyn years has trapped them in that tarpit for the foreseeable future. Leavers think they're pro-Remain and Remainers think they're too weak to vocally support Remain and that Corbyn's coterie of extremely left wing associates were partly to blame for the result. I count myself in that category.

A free vote might be best but I think ultimately, they'll catch flak whatever they do.

Think a free vote is definitely the way to go. Allows individuals to focus on local interests and irrespective of what they do as a party, they can't affect the outcome.

If they abstain, they're just giving the Tories a stick to beat them with saying that they are all talk and no action.

The last time to roll back on Brexit or take any sort of a step towards that was the General Election in Dec 2019 and the 80 seat majority put any argument in this respect to bed.

Allow a free vote, focus on messages relating to UK issues for the next 4 years and then look to win back some of the seats from the Tories. Tall order though, if Brexit is in any way successful for the UK, the Tories will walk home again next time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

If the UK is outside the Single Energy Market, where does that leave the interconnector with Wales?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the UK is outside the Single Energy Market, where does that leave the interconnector with Wales?
    All TBC apparently...
    From 1 January 2021
    The UK government has concluded a Free Trade Agreement with the European Union to come into effect following the transition period, ending 31 December 2020. This agreement provides a framework for future electricity trading across interconnectors between the UK and the EU. The agreed model of trading will take time to develop and will not be in place for 1 January 2021. Previously developed alternative arrangements will need to be implemented in the interim, which will endure until the agreed trading model can be put in place. This section describes what will happen on 1 January 2021.

In Northern Ireland, the Ireland/Northern Ireland Protocol to the Withdrawal Agreement provides the basis for the continued operation of the Single Electricity Market after 1 January 2021. The UK government is supporting the Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland to implement the Single Electricity Market provisions at Article 9 and Annex 4 of the Protocol, which apply key elements of European energy law in Northern Ireland, which are largely devolved, to enable the effective operation of the Single Electricity Market across the island of Ireland.

From 1 January 2021 cross-border flows across electricity interconnectors will no longer be governed by EU legislation which provides for efficient trade and cross-border cooperation in operating the electricity system. In accordance with the agreed UK-EU FTA, a new model of efficient electricity trading across interconnectors will be developed, including for trade between Great Britain and the Single Electricity Market. These arrangements will not be in place for 1 January 2021. Market participants should therefore be aware that alternative arrangements for electricity trading between Great Britain and the Single Electricity Market will be in place from 1 January 2021.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/trading-electricity-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/trading-electricity-if-theres-no-brexit-deal#from-1-january-2021

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

dresden8 wrote: »
    At the moment this is Boris' deal. When Starmer votes for it it becomes his deal and he can STFU complaining about it. He really is useless.

Why? Do you remember Iain Duncan Smith and the Tories invading Iraq?

Uk votes approving invasion in Iraq

Yes
    Labour - 254
    Conservatives - 146
    UUP, DUP and Independent - 12
    Total: 412

No
    Labour - 84
    Lib Dems - 52
    SNP and other smaller parties - 11
    Conservative - 2
    Total: 149

Abstain
    Labour - 69
    Conservative - 17
    SF, Lib Dems and SDLP - 7
    Total: 94

Take the 146 Tories voting yes away and have them voting no the vote is lost. Abstain and the vote still goes through, but if WMD's are found they look like cowards. Vote yes and get it through? Doesn't matter as it was Labour and Blair in charge and they take the blame.

So I find it hard to see how anyone can think of laying the blame on Labour if they vote for this deal to ensure no-deal is off the table when it was Johnson that negotiated it and brought it back and will fight for it in the HoC tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Enzokk wrote: »
    Why? Do you remember Iain Duncan Smith and the Tories invading Iraq?

Uk votes approving invasion in Iraq

Yes
    Labour - 254
    Conservatives - 146
    UUP, DUP and Independent - 12
    Total: 412

No
    Labour - 84
    Lib Dems - 52
    SNP and other smaller parties - 11
    Conservative - 2
    Total: 149

Abstain
    Labour - 69
    Conservative - 17
    SF, Lib Dems and SDLP - 7
    Total: 94

Take the 146 Tories voting yes away and have them voting no the vote is lost. Abstain and the vote still goes through, but if WMD's are found they look like cowards. Vote yes and get it through? Doesn't matter as it was Labour and Blair in charge and they take the blame.

So I find it hard to see how anyone can think of laying the blame on Labour if they vote for this deal to ensure no-deal is off the table when it was Johnson that negotiated it and brought it back and will fight for it in the HoC tomorrow as well.

He won't have to fight for it. Starmer decided to vote for it sight unseen.

He now cannot talk it down or slag off the deal. He didn't sell his vote, he gave his ass away for free. He is Boris' bitch now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He now cannot talk it down or slag off the deal. He didn't sell his vote, he gave his ass away for free. He is Boris' bitch now.

Because it is no-deal or this deal. Labour can still voice their unhappiness about the deal and vote for it, because the alternative will be much much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

Not true, he made very clear he is only voting for it because the alternative, a no deal WTO Brexit, works be worse.

He has outlined the shortfalls in this thin Tory FTA.

I personally think the right political decision for Labour, particularly now the ERG have hitched their wagon to BoJo's deal, is to abstain but if Starmer had adopted that position it would have opened the door to the ERG voting against in order to achieve a "pure" WTO no deal Brexit and the consequences of that would be even greater for Labour.

This is senior hurling politics, not college canteen politics!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,726 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Enzokk wrote: »
    Because it is no-deal or this deal. Labour can still voice their unhappiness about the deal and vote for it, because the alternative will be much much worse.

Ya but that kind of logical thinking doesn't fit with the narrative being peddled here this evening regarding Labour

I don't see any issue with labour voting for a deal. It means the Tories can get a deal through parliament that doesn't satisfy the hardest Brexiteers, which from my understanding, this deal doesn't or shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

June 2021

Starmer: This is the worst deal possible.

Johnson: May I remind the honourable leader of the opposition that not only did he heartily accept the deal he whipped his party to vote for it.

You voted for it Sir Keir. You can't deny it later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Just to be pedantic ESTA is not a visa waiver.

The visa waiver is the visa waiver and has been around longer than ESTA.

ESTA is a security measure to verify incoming passengers, that is used in conjunction with the visa waiver.

I didn't use anything, but the ESTA number and my Danish/EU passport when I visited the US January 2020.
    But had I visited e.g. Iran, I should have obtained a must more expensive full visa to the US.

But I understand the ESTA and the ETIAS has the same goal of being an efficient precheck that can keep most unwanted travellers outside the US/Schengen respectively.

Lars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

More stories like this to come in 2021 Id say:

https://twitter.com/jamesmb/status/1343934702550458368

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sam1986uk

Thargor wrote: »

Let's keep tabs on Peter...

You never know in a few months' time... his customers are still buying his eels because he's a trusted source that has never let them down in the past.. and a few extra forms per transaction is of no consequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,552 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very hard to have sympathy for someone who voted for Brexit. Like what the hell did he expect to happen, sunshine and lollipops?

I put money on him voting for Tories as well, thinking they'll get Brexit done.....

People like this really deserve all they get tbh but unfortunately his workers will feel the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

This was the best possible outcome for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

sam1986uk wrote: »

You never know in a few months' time... his customers are still buying his eels because he's a trusted source that has never let them down in the past.. and a few extra forms per transaction is of no consequence.

Indeed, he might develop a pig based air delivery service too.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Indeed, he might develop a pig based air delivery service too.

https://glasseel.com/

I've bookmarked this for the future.. I'll report back in 3 months on it. I wonder if Peter will still be in biz then.

Yeah project fear innit?

Yeah project fear innit?

project doom-mongering over hypothetical future events

project doom-mongering over hypothetical future events
    Well Im sure you know more than him about whether his market is screwed or not...

Just out of curiosity if everything is so wonderful why do you think this businessman would volunteer to go on Sky News and lie like this?

• Advertisement

Well Im sure you know more than him about whether his market is screwed or not...

Just out of curiosity if everything is so wonderful why do you think this businessman would volunteer to go on Sky News and lie like this?

Did you watch the video or listen to him?

He's not lied about anything. he made blanket statements inferring his customers "might as well buy elsewhere".

This piece has been lapped up by the plebs. Nothing better than a man getting his comeuppance especially in the eyes of the hateful left.

Did you watch the video or listen to him?

He's not lied about anything. he made blanket statements inferring his customers "might as well buy elsewhere".

This piece has been lapped up by the plebs. Nothing better than a man getting his comeuppance especially in the eyes of the hateful left.

Personally, I would say the hateful ones are the charlatans who convinced that poor sod to vote to put his own economic future at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

Please please please let's bookmark this post and review how things have panned out in 18 months time.

Not exactly a representative sample but it is a real example which is a lot more than the hypothetical sunlit uplands promised by Brexiteers.

Anyone got a balancing story of how their UK (excluding NI) business will double in 18 months as a result of Brexit other than customs agencies and similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

You've inferred more from your own wishful thinking than the news report.

To push your belief that this business owner is unworried about the future of the business is nonsensical.

moon2 wrote: »
    You've inferred more from your own wishful thinking than the news report.

To push your belief that this business owner is unworried about the future of the business is nonsensical.

I never said he's not worried.. he's obviously in despair and thinks his customers are going to go elsewhere because of some forms. Probably the reason Sky News chose to a piece on him. I bet they had to phone around.

I'm more interested in objective facts.. unlike the hateful tossers on social media sneering at this guy.. More often than not they have an EU flag as their profile pic..

Does anyone here have an EU flag as their profile photo on facebook? There's gotta be one

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

I'm more interested in objective facts..

Objectively the facts are: a business owner who should be somewhat proficient in running a business expresses concern that the incoming paperwork will be problematic.

You, an uninformed person with no experience at running a business state that this is not the case... Because... Why?

Do you have some objective facts to back up your experience with import/export of live animals, or anything which can be used to validate your opinion?

I never said he's not worried.. he's obviously in despair and thinks his customers are going to go elsewhere because of some forms. Probably the reason Sky News chose to a piece on him. I bet they had to phone around.

I'm more interested in objective facts.. unlike the hateful tossers on social media sneering at this guy.. More often than not they have an EU flag as their profile pic..

Does anyone here have an EU flag as their profile photo on facebook? There's gotta be one

Its not really "just some forms" though is it? Do you really think thats all it boils down to? Although your EU flag Facebook comment along with your other statements about the radical left would indicate you probably do.

Cba going round in circles on this.

I take the optimistic view that most of his customers in the EU will not leave him. He's obviously very reputable and they like the product. In my experience, people tend not to want to rock the boat.

VbMeY15.jpg
    Look at this idiot. The sad thing is he's probably English / British. I despise these self-loathing cucks. At least you Irish have a vested interest in the downfall of this country..

Cba going round in circles on this.

I take the optimistic view that most of his customers in the EU will not leave him. He's obviously very reputable and they like the product. In my experience, people tend not to want to rock the boat.

VbMeY15.jpg
    Look at this idiot. The sad thing is he's probably English / British. I despise these self-loathing cucks. At least you Irish have a vested interest in the downfall of this country..

"cucks"

What is it about that word that makes its user fall ten rungs in my estimation?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Illuminating.

Nate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement