Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You mean that fella that failed to read the covid lockdown and isolation rules properly?

Still more competent than the rest of them. Trying hard to think of one...Johnson nah, Patel nah, Hancock nah, Raab nah.... Sunak maybe, but that would be damning with faint praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

listermint wrote: »
    It's not worth their while which is why the largest operators have pulled he plug.
    It gets worse, as this short story from a Polish trucking magazine reveals. With that kind of publicity, the costs to get any truck driver into the UK will be eye-wateringly high.

Or they just won't bother

listermint wrote: »
    It's not worth their while which is why the largest operators have pulled he plug.

Yup. Soon to be followed by the smaller operators at this rate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1349784018628259841

That's a massive swing. No doubt accelerated by Brexit truths coming home to roost in the past few weeks.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It gets worse, as this short story from a Polish trucking magazine reveals. With that kind of publicity, the costs to get any truck driver into the UK will be eye-wateringly high.

Or they just won't bother

Just beat me!

That's a massive swing. No doubt accelerated by Brexit truths coming home to roost in the past few weeks.

Early days yet. The Scottish Parliament elections are due in May.

Once campaigning starts properly, support for the SNP and independence.

Scottish Labour's leader has just quit too.

Early days yet. The Scottish Parliament elections are due in May.

Once campaigning starts properly, support for the SNP and independence.

Scottish Labour's leader has just quit too.

Pro independence polling has continued to track upwards since March. Prior to that there was a consistent majority of 10% against independence but it began to swing last Spring. It's gone from 3% majority in March to 13% today. Here's the thing, as Brexit continues to unravel it further damages Scotland's economy while angering Scottish pride with its Englishness. I can't see how Westminster can turn this around. Brexit is the final nail in the coffin for the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

With longer to reflect on how badly brexit went and with no clear exit strategy I don't think Scotland will vote in favour of independence when push comes to shove

Pro independence polling has continued to track upwards since March. Prior to that there was a consistent majority of 10% against independence but it began to swing last Spring. It's gone from 3% majority in March to 13% today. Here's the thing, as Brexit continues to unravel it further damages Scotland's economy while angering Scottish pride with its Englishness. I can't see how Westminster can turn this around. Brexit is the final nail in the coffin for the UK.

I wonder if some of the 'dark money' that funded the Leave campaign come from Irish republicans. :D

• Advertisement

I wonder if some of the 'dark money' that funded the Leave campaign come from Irish republicans. :D

Or Northern Irish banks...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It funded the DUP to run an expensive advert in a newspaper that did not even circulate in NI. Now that was funded by dark money.

It funded the DUP to run an expensive advert in a newspaper that did not even circulate in NI. Now that was funded by dark money.

So many Russian donors to the Tory party. Probably a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭yagan

With longer to reflect on how badly brexit went and with no clear exit strategy I don't think Scotland will vote in favour of independence when push comes to shove
    There is an intransigence there, but we're only two weeks into sunny uplands and it's only driven up support.

When the Easter rising happened there actually wasn't broad support. It was news of the execution of innocent civilians in retaliation and then the later threat of conscription that brought the majority over to independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

It seems that the ink is not even dry and the Brexit deal is unravelling.

Emergency” measures are planned at ports to prevent feared food shortages in British supermarkets because of Brexit, a government document reveals.

Empty lorries crossing the Channel to restock will be allowed to skip queues at key ports, as concerns mount in Whitehall that disruption is set to worsen.

“We are proposing an emergency contingency measure . . . to expedite the return of empty food lorries from the UK to the EU where they can be restocked with supplies,” the document says.

The “emergency” action at ports follows the supermarkets’ warning that the agreement is “pretty much unworkable”, as gaps appear in fresh produce aisles.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-food-shortages-ports-lorries-b1787187.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's like reading an article about a country suffering from famine.
    An utter disgrace!

I hope the Lexiteers are happy. Truly the worst of all Brexit supporters.

EruLu84XYAYR43C.jpg
    The move would potentially mark a clear divergence from EU labour market standards but the UK would only face retaliation from Brussels under the terms of its new post-Brexit trade treaty if the EU could demonstrate the changes had a material impact on competition.

The main areas of focus are on ending the 48-hour working week, tweaking the rules around rest breaks at work and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, according to people familiar with the plans.

The government also wants to remove the requirement of businesses to log the detailed, daily reporting of working hours, saving an estimated £1bn.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

Let's hope Len McCluskey, leader of Unite trade union, and Brexit supporter, doesn't read this over his cornflakes. Wouldn't want him to choke.

EruKGRSW4AANDD_.jpg
    A change in the calculation of holiday pay could be “a significant monetary loss” for a low paid worker often forced into overtime to make ends meet, the TUC official said.

Michael Ford, a barrister and professor at Bristol university, said much of the complexity employers faced in calculating holiday pay was the result of domestic legislation, rather than the judgments of the ECJ, although UK employers also disliked the ECJ’s stance in principle.

Unions have brought a series of cases on the underpayment of holiday entitlements and employers would love to see them overturned, Mr Leckey said.

https://amp.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bob mcbob wrote: »
    It seems that the ink is not even dry and the Brexit deal is unravelling.

Emergency” measures are planned at ports to prevent feared food shortages in British supermarkets because of Brexit, a government document reveals.

Empty lorries crossing the Channel to restock will be allowed to skip queues at key ports, as concerns mount in Whitehall that disruption is set to worsen.

“We are proposing an emergency contingency measure . . . to expedite the return of empty food lorries from the UK to the EU where they can be restocked with supplies,” the document says.

The “emergency” action at ports follows the supermarkets’ warning that the agreement is “pretty much unworkable”, as gaps appear in fresh produce aisles.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-food-shortages-ports-lorries-b1787187.html

They're prioritising the export of air essentially? :D:D:D:D:D

It's preposterous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

I hope the Lexiteers are happy. Truly the worst of all Brexit supporters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

Lexit was one of the ideas that angered me the most. Especially because their arguments couldn't hold up to scrutiny. The amount of people who told me they couldn't nationalise the railways because of the EU was baffling. Well, enjoy your Leftist Utopia, as performed by the Tories.

• Advertisement

Let's hope Len McCluskey, leader of Unite trade union, and Brexit supporter, doesn't read this over his cornflakes. Wouldn't want him to choke.

EruKGRSW4AANDD_.jpg

https://amp.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

From December 2019:

"Once Brexit is done, we will continue to lead the way and set a high standard, building on existing employment law with measures which protect those in low paid work. This is on top of the largest upgrade to workers' rights in a generation that the Government is bringing forward."

A senior government official said: "The Prime Minister won't be doing anything at all that downgrades workers' rights. He is going to be enhancing workers' rights. He will be doing nothing to diminish them."

SNIP. Cut out the silly comments please.

Snipped post.

And the people voted him in. As de Maistre said, every nation gets the government it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We are exactly two weeks into Brexit now.

The UK is free.

Which means brexiteers and reformed remainers are free to give us a macro view of the benefits. Even 1. Not looking for big details just simple benefits .

More money in pockets ?
    NHS cash ?
    Maybe traffics better ...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I would imagine that Spain will introduce new rules to keep British immigrants and not have to deport.
    It benefits no one to send them packing back to Britain.
    There's also property tax.

If someone goes back to the UK then there may be more tax on selling liable than if they were EU resident. There's also the tax when someone else buys the property.

If you look at the UK Home Office treatment of immigrants to the UK there's a pattern of telling those who can't support themselves to go home, while those that can are allowed to stay. Level playing field and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

breatheme wrote: »
    Lexit was one of the ideas that angered me the most. Especially because their arguments couldn't hold up to scrutiny. The amount of people who told me they couldn't nationalise the railways because of the EU was baffling. Well, enjoy your Leftist Utopia, as performed by the Tories.

Used to live with one. Only for a year so didn't get to know his mindset too well. He'd describe the EU as a corrupt capitalist club and free movement as a scheme to hold down wages. Couldn't cite any evidence of course. Never seemed capable of understanding how Labour actually needed to win an election before A50 was up to prevent the Tories taking a lit match to workers' rights, regulations and environmental protections. Nice lad, like but I met him less than a year back after he'd moved out and he didn't regret voting for it at all.

I don't know. You expect that sort of carry on from Express readers and the like but your young lefty types growing up in areas where the previous generation had secure work and union representation voting for nearly unchecked power for the party who all but did a way with both of those things...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Will it be worth the while of EU road freight operators serving Britain if their trucks and drivers are caught up in long queues to enter and depart Britain?

Only if they put their prices up significantly.
    Like 700% ?

More Brexit costs. This will make the landbridge less attractive too.
    https://trans.info/ro/rha-hauliers-who-charged-e1-50-per-kilometre-now-want-e10-217289
    hauliers who charged €1.50 per kilometre now want €10.
    “traders in their countries are not supplying the UK as they cannot understand what, where, or how to arrange export or import paperwork.

And this beauty -
    If British companies can’t work out the paperwork, what hope have foreign firms got?”

Nathan Fillion reaction gif because words fail -https://i.imgur.com/133SGq9.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I would imagine that Spain will introduce new rules to keep British immigrants and not have to deport.
    It benefits no one to send them packing back to Britain.

Hi, Spanish resident here (Developer in Barcelona, but I have spent time on holiday in those British communities, and am a member of an Advice Group on Facebook).

Those are not legal EU immigrants. The problem is this: Under Freedom of Movement, for People, an EU citizen intending to reside in another state has 90 days to register. These are people who never registered. The ones who legally declared their residence as EU citizens benefiting from FoM will get to stay. The ones who cheated the system for whatever reason (e.g. to stay tax resident in the UK or to use the EHIC and never having to hire private health insurance) are the ones who won't be able to stay.

• Advertisement

breatheme wrote: »
    Lexit is the idea that EU rules would stop state subsidies.

So in theory the French wouldn't able to subsidise their passport makers or the steel factory that makes rails. The French are doing both because they looked up the rules and found exemptions.

Meanwhile the UK's blue passports are being made abroad and the UK rail making steelworks was sold to the Chinese.

Lexit makes no sense if there is ever a chance of a Tory government given their history of selling off state industries, their history of allowing non-EU immigration, their history on workers rights, their history of undoing the things Labour did. Realpolitik indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement