Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭eire4

ambro25 wrote: »
    There's been enough high ground and tongues held for the past 4+years, to thoroughly enjoy a well-timed dig delivered smack between the eyes like that one, every now and then.

Solid 10 from me, Neale :D

I would totally agree with that. A well aimed pot shot and well deserved also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭kalych

These snipes back totally cheapen his commentary here. Absolutely have issue with the fact that they moved the site to Ireland but this is a bit childish. Where has having the upper ground gone?

I don't see anything wrong with that tweet either. It's in line with 'have your cake and eat it' comment we've been getting from the negotiating team and the Commission. Even more colourful language came from the European Parliamentarians. Fair play to Neale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please don't just paste links. A post has been deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

These snipes back totally cheapen his commentary here. Absolutely have issue with the fact that they moved the site to Ireland but this is a bit childish. Where has having the upper ground gone?

Where has sense of humour gone? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Seems to be. RoI factories can source from elsewhere, but NI seems to get caught from both sides.

Can NI factories not source steel from wthin the EU tarrif free like their RoI counterparts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

By upper ground are you referring to the alluded sunny uplands:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Looks like Irish sheep farmers will have a good start to 2021:

https://twitter.com/Fwoggie/status/1350140976149495808

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Two headlines from The Telegraph tonight:

From the Business section: Money has started to flow back into Britain - the Brexit deal is unequivocally positive.

From the Opinion section: Britain's nimble taskforce puts EU bureaucracy to shame - and shows how Brexit can succeed.

So it's all good. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The leave.eu domain was registered in Ireland using the name and address of a firm in Waterford, the guy who runs that firm said he knows nothing about it so the site being down may also have something to do with that. Then again he may have been asked to register by someone not upfront about who they're fronting for and just done it as part of his normal services.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Looks like Irish sheep farmers will have a good start to 2021:

https://twitter.com/Fwoggie/status/1350140976149495808
    So will various EU based pig farmers.

I do love comments like this however:
    “This is partly an inevitable consequence of Brexit – we always knew it would mean more red tape, checks and delays. But there is a political element, too. Why are 30% of all UK consignments to the EU are being checked? This is far more than many other Third Country exporters to the EU – for New Zealand, for example, the figure is 1%.”
    Oh I don't know; because your government could not be arsed to align with EU requirements and the fact it takes 6 months to get SPS status as per EU rules from time of application?

As for the size of the pork pie?
    In the first 10 months of 2020, the UK exported more than 180,000 tonnes of pork to the EU, a vitally important trade for the sector accounting for 44% of UK pork exports.
    They need us more than we need them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Saw this in the IT: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/brexit-red-tape-if-nothing-changes-ireland-will-be-closed-1.4458597
    Ray Cole, transport director of Virginia International Logistics, had three lorries stuck at T11 for three days and another truck sitting at the port terminal for four days...
    “They wouldn’t let us leave the trailer there on its own, so we had to keep swapping drivers for it. There were eight drivers involved over the four days. There are no toilets, nothing,” he said.

F*ck me, imagine having to sit in a lorry going nowhere for days on end. Reminds me of those days long traffic jams they have in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is It any wonder that Rosslare can't keep up with demand to France!

Day 15...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Two headlines from The Telegraph tonight:

From the Business section: Money has started to flow back into Britain - the Brexit deal is unequivocally positive.

From the Opinion section: Britain's nimble taskforce puts EU bureaucracy to shame - and shows how Brexit can succeed.

So it's all good. Nothing to worry about.
    What are you talking about? Dont you know they tried to warn us all along?
    https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1349847539160403968

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,814 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thargor wrote: »

'Accuse others of that which you are guilty.'

I've worn out that phrase in relation to Trump over the last 6 months. It's appropriate here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

'Accuse others of that which you are guilty.'

The ministry of truth are hard at work, so it's all double-plus good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Thargor wrote: »
    It was always going to end up with a circular firing squad as soon as reality started to bite and blaming the EU could no longer hold water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

https://twitter.com/ianhowes1970/status/1350496629024055298

If this is true, UK business is fecked, and self inflicted again!

Charging truck drivers to wait in queues because the authorities weren't prepared, on top of the fines already being levied regarding the Kent Access Permit...

What haulier in their right mind will go near the UK, at least not without a massive surcharge or right to claim these extra costs, on top of delays etc. Do the people in charge not realise that most EU hauliers and businesses will look at alternatives, and that UK truckers, businesses and consumers will all ultimately suffer.

Edit: Just to add by way of contrast

https://twitter.com/StenaLine/status/1350543832237158401

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Patser wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ianhowes1970/status/1350496629024055298

If this is true, UK business is fecked, and self inflicted again!

Charging truck drivers to wait in queues because the authorities weren't prepared, on top of the fines already being levied regarding the Kent Access Permit...

What haulier in their right mind will go near the UK, at least not without a massive surcharge or right to claim these extra costs, on top of delays etc. Do the people in charge not realise that most EU hauliers and businesses will look at alternatives, and that UK truckers, businesses and consumers will all ultimately suffer.
    I can easily see trucks refusing to take ANYTHING out of UK becoming the norm going forward. Why risk all the additional cost of actually carrying a load back and instead simply charge double taking it in to the UK in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

s://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/49037-brittany-ferries-sailings-connecting-cherbourg-and-rosslare-will-commence-monday-18-january-two-months-earlier-than-originally-planned

It is always the case that if business can see opportunities they will quickly respond. Great to see this hopefully this might slightly ease congestion at the port. However I fear as things ramp up industry over the next quarter Rosslare could be swamped.
    Anybody else wonder if we could see Tesco sell their Irish operations in the next 18 months to a European competitor or would that be pie in the sky thinking. I was pondering how much their supply chain will be goosed and would this force them to rethink their presence here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

beerguts wrote: »
    s://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/49037-brittany-ferries-sailings-connecting-cherbourg-and-rosslare-will-commence-monday-18-january-two-months-earlier-than-originally-planned

It is always the case that if business can see opportunities they will quickly respond. Great to see this hopefully this might slightly ease congestion at the port. However I fear as things ramp up industry over the next quarter Rosslare could be swamped.
    Anybody else wonder if we could see Tesco sell their Irish operations in the next 18 months to a European competitor or would that be pie in the sky thinking. I was pondering how much their supply chain will be goosed and would this force them to rethink their presence here.
    We're going to have to build a bigger M11. :D
    I think I heard that Rosslare currently has capacity for 50,000 freight units a week, so the additional sailing will probably bring that up even more. You'd wonder what Dublin Port will become in the long run if everything shifts to Rosslare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think I heard that Rosslare currently has capacity for 50,000 freight units a week, so the additional sailing will probably bring that up even more. You'd wonder what Dublin Port will become in the long run if everything shifts to Rosslare.

High speed rail from Rosslare to Foynes... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

beerguts wrote: »

I think Tesco are safe enough at the moment. They have a reasonable Irish supply line.

M&S have not got any Irish suppliers, and are quite exposed as they import everything, including raw milk from Scotland. They are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

It would depend on whether or not Tesco in those markets is profitable or not. I don’t really see any reason why Tesco Ireland should have any issues. It’s as big as Dunnes and a sizeable enough supermarket chain in its own right, with or without the parent entity. I mean it was Power Supermarkets trading as: Quinsworth/CrazyPrices & Stewart’s for decades before Tesco ever reentered in this market. When Tesco entered independently in the 80s but didn’t last long and from what I’ve read failed to make much impact, but it was a sort of cheapo store in those days.

I noticed a lot of Tesco’s fresh fruit and veg now seems to be a different style of packaging, mentioning only Tesco Ireland. It also seems better quality ... Spanish suppliers etc.

Their operations in Eastern Europe are very sizeable too.

I could see Dunnes possibly trying to buy the Sainsbury’s NI stores, if the price were right. It would expand their NI footprint.

SuperValu is also a good fit, either with someone buying stores and taking our SuperValu franchises or by some plug into the Musgraves supply chain .

Btw there are some French frozen goods and desserts in SuperValu. Try the frozen bake at home croissants with the Beurre Charentes-Poitou... you’d never buy M&S pastry again lol

We definitely won’t starve! If anything supermarket food might get nicer.

As for M&S, who knows. They’re an odd company at the best of times and not a very flexible one. A crisis like this could break them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It definitely won't close anyway. It's still the biggest port in Ireland and there will always be a need for passenger ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

Strazdas wrote: »
    It definitely won't close anyway. It's still the biggest port in Ireland and there will always be a need for passenger ferries.

A lot could change over the coming years. It would make more sense to me to develop capacity in Rosslare and probably Port of Cork.

They're all competing companies, so it's likely you won't have much national strategy on it.

With a change of government could the British end up back in the single market or customs union if things don't work out as planned in the next year or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

And just on queue, another new route is announced Dublin to Cherbourg, using a Dublin to Holyhead ferry as demand there has dropped so much.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0116/1190163-stena-adds-dublin-cherbourg-route-to-meet-brexit-demand/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

With a change of government could the British end up back in the single market or customs union if things don't work out as planned in the next year or 2.

I doubt it, domestically the Tories would never admit they were wrong like that no matter how bad it gets, and Labour seem to never want to mention the word Brexit again.

Even if the British government were to change their mind, I think the EU would be cautious about letting the British back in too quickly given their unrelyability. We will have gone through the pain already, it might be easier by then to continue as is than open up more uncertanity with another big, potentally again not final, change.

Leave.EU communications director Andy Wigmore said the site would be back up soon.

“Our lawyers will be taking action against those – and they know who they are – who have broken those delicious EU laws they love so much,” he said.

Mr Wigmore dismissed Mr Richmond as a “third-rate EU fanatic”, adding: “Any more nonsense from Brussels-lovers like him and we may decide to put the full weight of Leave.EU behind the Irexit campaign.”

These guys sound completely and utterly demented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

It looks like Stormer is just as deluded as Johnston in terms of UK future. here are some quotes from him, in Guardian this morning.
    He is
    “incredibly optimistic about the new relationship we can build” and that Britain must once again be “the bridge between the US and the rest of Europe”.

He drew on the examples of the work done under former Labour prime ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown

“Britain needs to seize this chance to lead in the world again, just as Blair and Brown did over global poverty and the financial crisis, that’s what Britain can achieve,”
    “close economic relationship” with the EU,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement