Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Labour's 2019 manifesto promised to:
    • Renegotiate a new Brexit deal within three months.
    • Include a UK-EU customs union and close EU single market alignment.
    • Give EU nationals living and working in the UK the automatic right to stay.
    • The deal would then be put to a legally-binding referendum within six months.
    • The other option in the referendum would be to remain in the EU.

In my comment I was referring to the 2017 manifesto, not the 2019 one.

And the 2019 ones says:
    It will include:

* A permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union, which is vital to protect our manufacturing industry and allows the UK to benefit from joint UK-EU trade deals, and is backed by businesses and trade unions.
    * Close alignment with the Single Market – ensuring we have a strong future economic relationship with the EU that can support UK businesses.

In other words, contrary to your claim, there was no commitment to a Customs Union with the EU. Rather the commitment was to an All U.K. customs union - ie precisely the thing that Johnson has just done in the Internal Market Bill and which has upset lots of people.

And claims about “close alignment” don’t mean anything if you can’t clearly spell out what it is exactly that you want AND that can be realistically achieved as the EU might agree to it. Failing to do that just means that Labour’s policy was just a variation of the Brexiters’ one in the 2016 referendum where Brexit meant everything and anything from a Norway style EFTA/EEA arrangement right thorough the spectrum to No deal (and no deal on anything ever at any time in the future) depending on who they wanted to fool at the time.

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto-2019/the-final-say-on-brexit/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

View wrote: »
    In my comment I was referring to the 2017 manifesto, not the 2019 one.

And the 2019 ones says:

In other words, contrary to your claim, there was no commitment to a Customs Union with the EU. Rather the commitment was to an All U.K. customs union - ie precisely the thing that Johnson has just done in the Internal Market Bill and which has upset lots of people.

And claims about “close alignment” don’t mean anything if you can’t clearly spell out what it is exactly that you want AND that can be realistically achieved as the EU might agree to it. Failing to do that just means that Labour’s policy was just a variation of the Brexiters’ one in the 2016 referendum where Brexit meant everything and anything from a Norway style EFTA/EEA arrangement right thorough the spectrum to No deal (and no deal on anything ever at any time in the future) depending on who they wanted to fool at the time.

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto-2019/the-final-say-on-brexit/

Here's an analysis of precisely what the Labour manifesto says by Chris Morris, the BBC reality check correspondent. It is exactly as I said in my post. He says it contained an EU-UK Customs Union. I believe him.

Comparing this manifesto pledge to the lies spouted by populist Brexiteers in 2016 makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't believe those votes were whipped so not really sure on what basis action could be taken against rebel mps. I mean, i don't know any situation where a small rump of mps ever get to dictate party policy. Labours brexit position was never explicitly stated but a "close and collaborative" relationship with the EU was consistently spelled out from the very beginning and i think it is quite safe to suggest that implies a CU of some fashion at a minimum.

MPs who cross the floor to vote with another party can be expelled from any party. Johnson did so with his rebels after one vote. Corbyn didn’t do so after his rebels had repeatedly voted with the Conservatives. That is a clear blessing from on high.

And you are making a major assumption to presume that a “close and collaborative” relationship equates to a customs union. The EU has a “close and collaborative” relationship with Ukraine in the form of a “Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement” which is basically a “super FTA” and it is not a customs union. And the UK’s Labour Party made no commitment to agreeing a “Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement”, much less any agreement that went any further than that.

Here's an analysis of precisely what the Labour manifesto says by Chris Morris, the BBC reality check correspondent. It is exactly as I said in my post. He says it contained an EU-UK Customs Union. I believe him.

Comparing this manifesto pledge to the lies spouted by populist Brexiteers in 2016 makes no sense whatsoever.

I quoted Labour’s own manifesto. You are basically claiming they lied in their own manifesto since there is no such commitment in their manifesto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Debub wrote: »

In practice, one would imagine that the Commission notices would be extended, but hardly makes for stable arrangements in that particular sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

On BBC one right now they complaining that companies have to do paperwork to import from mainland to NI but not if importing to NI from EU.

Instead of realising that all the paperwork is due to Brexit they moaning about the "Irish Sea border"

"All red tape slows down supply chains and impacts consumers dramatically" they say

I can't facepalm hard enough.

Don't they realise, its not red tape, its red white and blue tape!

Brexit ust keeps on giving... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

View wrote: »
    MPs who cross the floor to vote with another party can be expelled from any party. Johnson did so with his rebels after one vote. Corbyn didn’t do so after his rebels had repeatedly voted with the Conservatives. That is a clear blessing from on high.

And you are making a major assumption to presume that a “close and collaborative” relationship equates to a customs union. The EU has a “close and collaborative” relationship with Ukraine in the form of a “Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement” which is basically a “super FTA” and it is not a customs union. And the UK’s Labour Party made no commitment to agreeing a “Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement”, much less any agreement that went any further than that.

Reality was none of it was simple. Labour had factions pushing it both ways, not going tougher on rebel mps was in no sense a "clear blessing" or tacit endorsement of any hard brexit position, merely an illustration of the delicate political balance they were, ultimately unsuccessfully, trying to straddle. A soft brexit option, if it could have been realised, would have probably played best for them at that point. I mean, the one formal occasion labour actually got to endorse a CU in parliament, they backed it. That surely outstrips anything written in a manifesto or elsewhere. In my book anyway..

In a sense, we're all making assumptions here, as the only way any of this could be put to the test would be if labour was actually negotiating. I personally would have every faith in the likes of Starmer, McDonnell etc negotiating a reasonable deal that maintained a close relationship, but anyone is entitled to disagree.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nody wrote: »
    Can someone please square this circle for me.

Hence only 2.200 UK trucks can actually go to the continent at any time due to license to drive there and UK only has 2.200 licenses.
    So by definition we'd expect at least 6.000 or more of those to not be UK trucks because they are already on the continent. However we also know that 80% of all trucks leave UK empty end hence the need for paperwork is minimal (EU truck, EU driving license etc.). So why would all these empty EU driven EU trucks sit around in a queue? They can be fast forwarded out of the UK to ensure they can get more imports of food, medicine etc. and minimize the need of a long queue or parking lot (trucks with UK goods is a whole different issue).
    There's less than 1,000 annual licences as the rest are split into 30 day ones.

The UK has an allocation of 984 annual and 2,832 short-term (valid for 30 days) ECMT permits for 2019. vs. 10,000 trucks a day through Dover. Numbers don't change much each year - unless the EU hands over "get out of jail" cards as part of any deal.

Rules here - ECMT permits are transferable. But only within the same company for vehicles of the same emission class and only when the vehicle returns to the UK. Delays will really eat into the 30 day ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭trellheim

I guess Tories must be very thankful for Covid now as theres barely any flights at this time.
    theres loads of flights with cargo tho none of that has stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It doesn't really take a lot of imagination to see the falling dominoes (Scotland, NI, Shetland, Gibraltar ... ) creating the conditions in which the regions more tightly bound to England decide to emphasise their separateness if the Sunlit Uplands only ever materialise for those territories that opt for independence and eventual EU membership. An increasingly nationalist cohort of Welsh MPs could easily become the kingmakers in Westminster.

As I mentioned some time back on this thread: never in my lifetime did I expect to hear reports of English holidaymakers in Wales being told to go back to where they came from by the Welsh police; and yet it's already happened, thanks to Covid-19.

So, as I was saying ... :
    Wales to ban visitors from Covid hotspots elsewhere in UK

First minister says he will act this week if UK government still refuses to stop people travelling
    The political angle to the situation has become charged. Drakeford is at pains to stress that there is nothing anti-English in his stance. But at first minister’s questions on Tuesday, Mark Reckless, the Brexit party leader in the Senedd Cymru, taunted Drakeford – whose government is a firm supporter of the union – by arguing Wales was “sleepwalking towards independence”.

:) Brexiters should beware of what starts with a Reckless taunt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Johnson said he will "reflect" on the European Council conclusions before taking the next steps - that will be the end of October, then:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1316470311836176384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's fair galling to see Kate Hoey being introduced to the House of Lords this week.
    And a real thumb in the eye to her constituents with her behaviour over the best few years after the constituency voted to remain with nearly 78%.

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1315974333299396610

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Johnson said he will "reflect" on the European Council conclusions before taking the next steps - that will be the end of October, then:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1316470311836176384

Ursula von der Leyen has also tweeted. Doesn't sound like much progress has been made or we are anywhere close to a deal.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1316461491839737857

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of work ahead... In fact, there are certain issues neither side is showing much willingness to budge on. Unless someone's willing to give ground, or invent novel solutions, no amount of negotiating will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, mood music is very negative after the meeting, even Johnson is disappointed

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1316463493672062976

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Patser wrote: »
    Yep, mood music is very negative after the meeting, even Johnson is disappointed

Honestly, what was he expecting? :confused:

That when he got personally involved, things would get better.

That's been the headline mantra for the Telegraph most of the year - BORIS TO TAKE CHARGE OF X CRISIS - while forgetting that HE'S ALREADY SUPPOSED TO BE IN CHARGE.

X being whatever was headline crisis that week, track and trace, exam results, lockdown levels or now again Brrxit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That him walking in and smacking the table while repeatedly shouting lets get it done would magically fix all the problems he keeps putting in front of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Patser wrote: »

EU watchers reckon Barnier is now playing hardball, at the request of most member states he has consulted. It's probably a bit of a shock to the Brexiteers that the EU are not desperate for a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Strazdas wrote: »
    EU watchers reckon Barnier is now playing hardball, at the request of most member states he has consulted. It's probably a bit of a shock to the Brexiteers that the EU are not desperate for a deal.

Why would the EU be desperate for a deal though? The refusal to accept the reality that come January the EU wont just hold all the cards as they do now they will own the shop you buy the cards in due to how desperate the UK will be for a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why would the EU be desperate for a deal though? The refusal to accept the reality that come January the EU wont just hold all the cards as they do now they will own the shop you buy the cards in due to how desperate the UK will be for a deal.
    Not necessarily.

Psychology may trump economics. Once you have done something dramatic, painful and irreversible For The Cause, you are heavily emotionally invested in the Cause and in its righteousness and necessity. If you admit that The Cause is bogus, then you have inflicted irreversible drama and pain on yourself and on others for no good reason.

So, a painful no-deal end to transition may cause political and economic turmoil in the UK, but it won't necessarily bring the UK running for a deal, any deal, please! It's just as likely to result in an embittered and entrenched UK which blames the EU for its failure to make a deal. If you have a psychological need to blame the EU, it's not difficult to construct rationalisations for doing so, and this may be easier than blaming yourself. So this is not a promising environment in which to try and conclude a post-transition FTA.

Which bothers the EU because the EU does, in fact, want an FTA, and some member states (ourselves included) will be seriously harmed by not having one.

So, yeah, the EU may well see merit in making a deal now rather that trusting to the hazard of making a deal after a messy no-deal end to transition. Not infinite merit - they won't make any deal now just for sake of making a deal - but they are still keen to make a deal, if there's a worthwhile deal to be made.

But the UK has placed far too much reliance on this factor, IMO. One of the main defects in the UK strategy (if this is the UK strategy) is that it would work better if they were offering the EU a good, deep, wide deal. But the deal the UK is targetting is a very, very thin deal which confers minimal benefits on both sides and still leaves both sides considerably worse off than they are at present. The opportunity cost to the EU of losing a poor deal is not so great as the cost of losing a good deal. The UK's hope of a last-minute EU concession would be a lot more realistic if the deal the UK was offering in return for that concession was a lot closer to the deal the EU would like to have.

Tl;dr: given the thin deal the UK is willing to make, it is seriously overplaying its "we'll walk away" hand.

Strazdas wrote: »

What exactly is the leverage the UK think they have? The biggest issue they seem to be throwing at the EU is fishing rights, but that is miniscule in the grand scale of things. Even in the UK it's a small percentage of value, but EU wide it's miniscule - do the UK think countries like Italy or Greece care about the North sea, let alone landlocked Austria, Czech republic etc.

But they've invested so much personal pride, so much stature in this that it is now a molehill they will die to defend. Would you rather keep London's passport as financial centre on Europe, or worry about crab pots in the channel - and they chose crabs......

As someone else said, the UK is now out of Europe, they are not a partner anymore, they are competition. Why would the EU throw them favours over their own members?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

Psychology may trump economics. Once you have done something dramatic, painful and irreversible For The Cause, you are heavily emotionally invested in the Cause and in its righteousness and necessity. If you admit that The Cause is bogus, then you have inflicted irreversible drama and pain on yourself and on others for no good reason.

So, a painful no-deal end to transition may cause political and economic turmoil in the UK, but it won't necessarily bring the UK running for a deal, any deal, please! It's just as likely to result in an embittered and entrenched UK which blames the EU for its failure to make a deal. If you have a psychological need to blame the EU, it's not difficult to construct rationalisations for doing so, and this may be easier than blaming yourself.

This psychology holds true for individuals and for small organisations, but it's a stretch to extrapolate it to the UK - or even England - as a whole. As highlighted by the earlier discussion about how Brexity or otherwise is the Labour party in its current incarnation, there are plenty of actors with a vested interest in allowing the ERG-Tory-Brexit-Party diehards paint themselves into a corner so that a more moderate government ("left" or "right") can take the reins.

When the lorry parks in Kent are overflowing, Labour won't be blaming the EU, they'll be blaming Johnson; when container-loads of fish are rotting on the quay, the SNP won't be blaming the EU, they'll be blaming Johnson; when the factories of Wales and the Midlands are closing, the unions won't be blaming the EU, they'll be blaming Johnson.

If the EU's discussions with people and parties outside the Johnson-Cummings bubble lead them to believe that negotiations are likely to be more constructive with a totally new administration, one not so invested psychologically in what they've built, it may well suit the EU to live with a no-deal chaotic Brexit that just happens to hasten the political demise of the current incumbents. At least 60% of the electorate won't really care about Johnson's belief in The Cause if the opposition parties continually point out how their pain is in fact food poisoning arising from his undercooked oven-ready deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

When the lorry parks in Kent are overflowing, Labour won't be blaming the EU, they'll be blaming Johnson; when container-loads of fish are rotting on the quay, the SNP won't be blaming the EU, they'll be blaming Johnson; when the factories of Wales and the Midlands are closing, the unions won't be blaming the EU, they'll be blaming Johnson.
    While that may be true, you're forgetting the billionaire-financed hyperdrive that regular media and social media will undertake in a no-deal scenario to paint the EU as the villain.

"Enemies of the People"? If no-deal happens, this will seem mild by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

For the past 3 years the UK have been screaming "No deal is better than a bad deal" the problem for them is that's exactly what's ringing in EU ears now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭tanko

serfboard wrote: »
    While that may be true, you're forgetting the billionaire-financed hyperdrive that regular media and social media will undertake in a no-deal scenario to paint the EU as the villain.

Oh, i'd say the EU are quaking in their boots. I'd say they're terrified by headlines on the front of British rags.
    The Brits created this Brexit mess, nobody else and definitely not the EU.
    The UK couldn't be in a weaker position in these "negotiations". All the EU has to do is put the deal they want on the table and wait for the UK to finish throwing their toys out of their pram and sign it.
    The one good thing about Covid is that it happened in the middle of Brexit, the UK is in no position to throw whatever weight it has left around in Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Even if the tabloids are successful in painting the EU as a villain, the only people who actually consume British media (as opposed from looking on) are the British.

Noone in the EU is really going to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

tanko wrote: »
    Oh, i'd say the EU are quaking in their boots. I'd say they're terrified by headlines on the front of British rags.
    Cheensbo wrote: »
    Even if the tabloids are successful in painting the EU as a villain, the only people who actually consume British media (as opposed from looking on) are the British.

Noone in the EU is really going to care.
    Of course no-one in the EU is going to care. That wasn't my point.

I was responding to a point that said that people in Britain were going to blame the British government, and I was pointing out that the chances of that happening would be greatly diminished by the absolute blitz of anti-EU propaganda for domestic consumption that will follow.

The anti-EU propaganda has delivered Brexit for the Tories. The anti-EU propaganda will continue delivering for them when (if) a no-deal happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course no-one in the EU is going to care. That wasn't my point.

I was responding to a point that said that people in Britain were going to blame the British government, and I was pointing out that the chances of that happening would be greatly diminished by the absolute blitz of anti-EU propaganda for domestic consumption that will follow.

The anti-EU propaganda has delivered Brexit for the Tories. The anti-EU propaganda will continue delivering for them when (if) a no-deal happens.

I'm not sure that such an enfilade is in the works though. Remember, there's still no end in sight to this pandemic and various regions of this country have increased their lockdown levels. We have just over two months of the transition period as well.

Anyway, it may be a moot point if printers can't import the raw materials to produce newspapers or too many people can't afford their electric bill.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

There's going to have to be a point where it dawns on British people that they didn't suffer these hardships when the UK was part of the EU. It's hardly like they won't be able to see life going on for mainland Europe mostly the same as it was before the UK left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement