Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know anyone with a criminal record?

• 27-07-2020 11:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I'd say the average boardsies would be hard pressed to know anyone with a record or anyone who has been to prison. The average middle class person isn't the one usually committing crimes.

But still, know any family, friends, coworkers who did stupid **** and were hit with the full force of the law?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know a lad who has The Chicken Song on vinyl.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

you collect more info than google !!!
    WTF ?!?!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Extended family member did a few years. The incident that led to his conviction was front page news at the time. Very good guy who made an absolutely appalling set of mistakes (to put it mildly). I visited him in a few of the prisons he served his time in. Horrible experience just visiting prison, let alone being locked up in one. Anyone who says they’re “holiday camps” has no fücking clue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Extended family member did a few years. The incident that led to his conviction was front page news at the time. Very good guy who made an absolutely appalling set of mistakes (to put it mildly). I visited him in a few of the prisons he served his time in. Horrible experience just visiting prison, let alone being locked up in one. Anyone who says they’re “holiday camps” has no fücking clue.

Yea.

I've heard though that our prisons are better compared to those in the States. More physical and sexual abuse there.

The reason people think that is because prisoners get amenities like TV, Gyms, Courses etc.. but people don't stop to realize it's to make it easier on prison guards. If they had nothing to do, it would be a far more hostile place than it already is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

greenspurs wrote: »
    WTF ?!?!

I think mr_fegelien perhaps struggles a bit with conversations etc.

I've seen this sort of behaviour before, where people ask question after question because they struggle to get involved with normal back and forth conversations and interactions.

I guess if enough people engage with his threads, he feels like he's interacting with those people in some way. Even though in truth, he rarely gets involved or contributes much beyond actually starting the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I've seen this sort of behaviour before, where people ask question after question because they struggle to get involved with normal back and forth conversations and interactions.

I guess if enough people engage with his threads, he feels like he's interacting with those people in some way. Even though in truth, he rarely gets involved or contributes much beyond actually starting the thread.

It's common in autism. They're accused of one-sided discussions.

I have it and in real life, a conversation between myself and another person might play out like it does on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ah, you're back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have it and in real life, a conversation between myself and another person might play out like it does on here.

Autism affects a persons ability to reply/engage in a thread ?

I didn't know that.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I know a few, armed robbery, larceny, burglary, dangerous driving, criminal damage and assault. Most have drug convictions too of course.
    One chap was murdered over 10 years ago.

Most of them appear decent enough lads to be fair ........... a few are total scrotes too of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'd say the average boardsies would be hard pressed to know anyone with a record or anyone who has been to prison. The average middle class person isn't the one usually committing crimes.

But still, know any family, friends, coworkers who did stupid **** and were hit with the full force of the law?

what makes you think the people posting here are middle class?

• Advertisement

I would say most people would easily know a dozen such people, possibly more.

Even a regulatory offence like speeding forms part of a criminal record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

greenspurs wrote: »
    WTF ?!?!

He’s collecting vital intel to prepare for an invasion by his people. He* has a particular interest in use of chemical mind control and typical mating habits. When his IP address changes to ‘off planet’ we’ll have about a week to sort our defences out.

* May** refer to a committee.

** Actually, probably*** does refer to a committee.

*** Seriously. Has to be a group effort. No one individual could possibly post so much crap singlehandedly survey an entire planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yep. Know somebody who did time for animal cruelty and negligence.

I felt sorry for his family. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

John Gotti

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Plenty of Sinn Fein and IRA supporters and apologists on this site , along with “wurking” class warriors so... Wouldn’t predict what the average boardsie is or knows

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I never had it confirmed, but I heard a neighbour of mine ended up in prison for a while in Australia after going AWOL from the army. It sounds too crazy to be made up, but sure, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Aye an old mate of mine is in prison for murdering his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd say yer man who works in Mountjoy and that other lad , the ex Garda might know a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah a few guys I went to school with definitely have a record. A guy I work with was in prison, no idea what for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Had an ex with an uncle on death row in Florida for murdering two campers. She cheerfully gave him my mailing address without my knowledge so he could write to me to pass the time in what I presume to be 23 hours/day solitary confinement. Last I heard, his sentence was commuted to life in prison, so that's nice I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes ,myself

Lost a case ,foolishly didn't appeal, paid the fine ,conviction struck out following the fine being paid but it would go against me were I to find myself before the courts again

Happened fifteen years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

My first cousin did 6 months in Mountjoy in the mid-90's for possession of hash and grass. He was 18 when caught and was the local go-to guy for buying stuff for the weekend. He was at the very bottom of the chain, but a local Superintendent was close to retirement and wanted to go out on a bang, so he picked up loads of lads for dealing and buying. Easy pickings.

That was 25ish years ago. When he got out, a neighbour got him working as an apprentice scaffolder, he went totally on the straight and narrow and he made a fair bit during the boom, he's married, one child and a owns semi-D in a decent part of Dublin, so he learned his lesson.

Thing is, the estate he lives in is very middle class, plenty of bored kids messing around, causing the usual trouble, but they leave his side road alone as they knew he was 'inside' and they are a bit wary of him. At Halloween most houses and cars were egged and flour bombed, his and his neighbours were left alone.

I was in school with a total nutcase in my year, he stabbed one lad when we were in first year, was let stay on as his parents were very friendly with the assistant principal, then stabbed another when in third year. He was expelled for that. In both cases they lads got 5 or 10 stitches, nothing more. He then went on to murder two people when he was 18 or 19, but was only done for manslaughter. Died in the UK of a drug overdose a couple of years after he got out of prison (I think he served 9 years). Family were quite well off and well connected in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Such a curious soul...

mike_ie wrote: »
    Had an ex with an uncle on death row in Florida for murdering two campers. She cheerfully gave him my mailing address without my knowledge so he could write to me to pass the time in what I presume to be 23 hours/day solitary confinement. Last I heard, his sentence was commuted to life in prison, so that's nice I guess...

Totally different context but am reminded of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

endacl wrote: »
    He’s collecting vital intel to prepare for an invasion by his people. He* has a particular interest in use of chemical mind control and typical mating habits. When his IP address changes to ‘off planet’ we’ll have about a week to sort our defences out.

* May** refer to a committee.

** Actually, probably*** does refer to a committee.

*** Seriously. Has to be a group effort. No one individual could possibly post so much crap singlehandedly survey an entire planet.

It a computer program not a person. Feg is short for Frequently Engage Gnomes or Goofballs or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thats a bit ****ing mean and unnecessary TBH!

Kylta wrote: »
    It a computer program not a person. Feg is short for Frequently Engage Gnomes or Goofballs or something like that.

I thought it was Italian for pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

to answer the question. 2 off the top of my head:

1 lad dealt drugs at underage discos
    the other killed his ex and buried her in a barrel in a field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Frankx wrote: »
    I thought it was Italian for pasta

I thought it was irish for veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An ex work colleague. Assault and possession of controlled drugs for sale or supply.

He was hired by a manager who was an acquaintance of his, a nice guy who liked bending the rules and giving people a chance but somehow he managed to circumvent the Garda vetting checks - a mystery that. Turned out to be a good worker though if at times a bit unpredictable of a personality...any social night he’d be coked off his nut but so were half the management team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I know a few who got records from when they were younger.
    One of them (real sound lad) was screwed over - he was goaded into a scrap and then the Gardai were called on him.
    His case was reported in the local papers too. His case was given a bad write up, making him look like a complete thug.
    Still annoys me when I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So it makes absolutely no sense wherever you are :D

Yes. > 1. Not very close with any of them day to day, that's not to say I sneer at them. I don't.

I'm on the spectrum myself

Autistic people communicate more telepathically

We recognise emotions but don't process them the same as others

Frankx wrote: »
    Autistic people communicate more telepathically

I'm in thrall to boardsies who stick to the facts.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you this, you do know someone. You just don't know that they have a record.

Friends, family, schoolmates and especially neighbors. You just don't know what's in people's closets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

A number of posts deleted and cards handed out. Stay on topic or don't post in this thread. Friendly warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

There would be few people on this site that would have a criminal record. My guess is most here would be on a decent wage.If someone on a decent wage did commit a crime then they would be able to afford a decent solicitor legal team.
    Most convictions are successful against people on a low wage or unemployed. They would not be able to afford a decent solicitor legal team.
    I have found people from all walks of life break the law as much as each other but convictions are not so easy when they have a good legal.team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wibbs wrote: »
    I know a lad who has The Chicken Song on vinyl.

Beat me to the gag, damn you:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

One of my best friend's has a record the length of his arm, he's a good guy under it all but was a silly fecker when he was younger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

mick087 wrote: »
    There would be few people on this site that would have a criminal record. My guess is most here would be on a decent wage.If someone on a decent wage did commit a crime then they would be able to afford a decent solicitor legal team.
    Most convictions are successful against people on a low wage or unemployed. They would not be able to afford a decent solicitor legal team.
    I have found people from all walks of life break the law as much as each other but convictions are not so easy when they have a good legal.team.

If people are charged with crimes that will or could lead to jail, they will be entitled to legal aid, if they don’t have funds to pay for their legal team

You suggesting that lawyers practice their skills differently when representing well off people than they do with people on legal aid ? Rather serious claim , go prove it

Most convictions happen because they were caught red handed or have no defence

Spare us the class warrior horse crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

God, so many. That's why I get from being to rehab so many times. Mostly just theft and drug dealing etc, but a couple of high profile murderers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mark25

I would say more people than you think have criminal records especially from when they were young.

Did all sorts of stupid things when I was younger and got into plenty of trouble ending up in prison here twice. Nobody else in my family had a criminal record- my brother was arrested once but that was it.

Most of my friends from when I was younger have records some bad and some minor. But obviously i have been around 100s with records.

Grown up a bit now and gave been pretty much out of trouble since getting out last time.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What is legal isnt always right and what is wrong isn't always illegal. Thus an entire class of people drove the nation into bankruptcy and then went off into retirement. Should there be laws dealing with this? Of course but instead we spent God knows how much chasing drug addicts and shoplifters through the courts.
    We can't have those people stealing now can we? Where is my sherry?

mick087 wrote: »

Some of the most respected legal minds in the country are legal aid.

Cahir O'Higgins, Bambury, staines, finnucane to name a few in Dublin. Buttimar in cork would get very high profile cases privately for to his record and abilities but takes legal aid too.

Michael Hanahoe, probable one of the highest and most respected legal minds in the country is almost exclusively legal aid by choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think most people would have went to school with somebody who had a few brushes with law.
    Most stuff I'd know of is drug procession, selling, burglary, assault, armed robbery,driving offences.
    A mixture of character most of them were generally always in trouble in school tough.
    However none of them were bullies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I used to work with a close associate of Larry Dunne.

Good laugh to have a few pints with but you really wouldn't want to get the wrong side of him.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/130m-drugs-haul-suspect-returns-to-face-new-charges-26195869.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You suggesting that lawyers practice their skills differently when representing well off people than they do with people on legal aid ? Rather serious claim , go prove it
    Michael Hanrahan, probable one of the highest and most respected legal minds in the country is almost exclusively legal aid by choice.

Ah look, would you go on out of it. Only look at the defences offered in some cases where it would be plain to see that the accused would be on legal aid. You'd hear things like Mr X has suffered additions issues and appeals for leniency while he gets his affairs in order or some defence shpiel about a chaotic lifestyle and writing a letter of apology. A level of defence that anyone with a brain cell could muster.

And i suspect that the reason Hanrahan and so on go for legal aid cases is because they are handy, clear cut petty crime and assault cases where the accused is a gobshíte who obviously did whatever it was, no-body really gives a crap about the outcome, and most importantly, the Dept of Justice will pay up on the legal aid no questions asked - unlike a private client where you might have to go chasing them to pay the legal bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Went to school with a few lads that have been in and out of prison for drug dealing and armed robbery. There's two lads then that are locked up for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

If people are charged with crimes that will or could lead to jail, they will be entitled to legal aid, if they don’t have funds to pay for their legal team

Most convictions happen because they were caught red handed or have no defence

Spare us the class warrior horse crap

Yes correct anyone who cannot afford legal help then can apply for legal aid.

I am not suggesting nothing.

Im stating the rich and powerful will always be able to put up better defence with there expensive legal team for a crime than that of someone on a low wage or unemployed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement