Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,764 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

i know trump ran a twitter ad recently, was available on youtube. it was comparing JB now vs his last few campaigns.

vid is gone now, can anyone link it?

are we saying he always had a stutter and that's fine; or he just developed it recently?

Biden's experience with a stutter.
    Vice President Biden spoke about how difficult it was to overcome his stutter in a 2010 appearance on ABC's The View. In 2011, he wrote an essay for People Magazine on his experience:

“I never had professional therapy, but a couple of nuns taught me to put a cadence to my speaking, and that's why I spent so much time reading poetry – Emerson and Yeats,” Biden wrote. “But even in my small, boys' prep school, I got nailed in Latin class with the nickname Joe Impedimenta. You get so desperate, you're so embarrassed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Thats how a president acts!

Now watch some gobshìte claim Biden was "creepy" in his interactions with that boy.

There was nothing creepy about that interaction.

Now watch some gob****e claim some other gob****e will call this "creepy"

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

i know trump ran a twitter ad recently, was available on youtube. it was comparing JB now vs his last few campaigns.

vid is gone now, can anyone link it?

are we saying he always had a stutter and that's fine; or he just developed it recently?

He had one as a child and was bullied at school by both students and teachers (nuns of course) until his ma threatened to do what my ma threatened the nun who beat me as a kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Faugheen wrote: »
    He always had one.

if he said he did, i have no reason to doubt that. any vids of the stutter? he has been in public life for ~50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,606 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

if he said he did, i have no reason to doubt that. any vids of the stutter? he has been in public life for ~50 years.

he talks about it here

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1296884003090432000?s=19

Or do you think the bullies he speaks of are in Congress?

• Advertisement

Biden's experience with a stutter.

i think you're misunderstanding, and my apologies for not being clear!

is there any evidence of a stutter when he campaigned for the P/VP in 88 or 08?

i mean, in all campaigns he would have been out doing the rounds, with media/debates/ all all the rest.

i think you're misunderstanding, and my apologies for not being clear!

is there any evidence of a stutter when he campaigned for the P/VP in 88 or 08?

i mean, in all campaigns he would have been out doing the rounds, with media/debates/ all all the rest.

So you don't believe he has a stutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

So you don't believe he has a stutter?

I'm sure you can provide extensive medical evidence analysis of his almost 50 years in Congress of a constant stutter?

Rather than a 40 second promo opportunity.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Is this what we’re reduced to now?

Now that the dementia arguments are out to bed it’s if he really has a stutter?

Some people need to actually get a life.

I had a speech impediment from childhood that included stuttering. Signs of it still show up in my speech at times but in general, nobody would be even about to guess. It's also more likely to surface when under higher stress etc. Which this would be far greater stress than any other point politically for him.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you can provide extensive medical evidence analysis of his almost 50 years in Congress of a constant stutter?

Rather than a 40 second promo opportunity.

https://www.stutteringhelp.org/content/joe-biden

It’s no secret that Vice President Biden has struggled with a stutter throughout his life, but it makes it all the more impressive and inspiring that he has risen to the second-highest office you can possibly hold in the United States.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-09-15/joe-bidens-childhood-struggle-with-a-stutter%3f_amp=true
    But for Biden, it was a triumph in a long struggle to overcome a debilitating stutter.

That struggle led him to brawl with schoolyard bullies, to memorize and recite Irish poetry, and to witness his mother threaten a nun who had humiliated him.

https://stutteringtreatment.org/yes-joe-biden-is-a-person-who-stutters/
    Unfortunately, the media has tended to negatively portray Biden’s overall oratory skills, clearly failing to differentiate that episodes of stuttering do not in any way reflect lack of intelligence or communication skills.

But yeah, maybe he is faking it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Thats how a president acts!

Now watch some gobshìte claim Biden was "creepy" in his interactions with that boy.

Compare and contrast with Trump mocking a disabled reporter.

i agree TBH.

JB could resolve this so easily with releasing his medical records, don't you agree?

wasn't that joe's shtick's regarding trump and tax returns?... 'if you've nothing to hide, release them'?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Totally. Instead of the Obama birther saga we have now stooped to is he faking a stammer. Christ like. What next. If he was in wheelchair would they be saying he can walk.

i agree TBH.

JB could resolve this so easily with releasing his medical records, don't you agree?

wasn't that joe's shtick's regarding trump and tax returns?... 'if you've nothing to hide, release them'?

Will Trump release his medical records? Especially seeing as he has made two unexpected and unannounced visits to hospital in the last few months?

Also, would a stammer for over 50 years even be on someone's medical records? Is a stammer a medical condistion?

i agree TBH.

You agree that you need to get a life. Go ahead.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we soon get to the stage where Joe has to prove his first wife and his daughter were killed.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Totally. Instead of the Obama birther saga we have now stooped to is he faking a stammer. Christ like. What next. If he was in wheelchair would they be saying he can walk.

Franklin D Roosevelt would be fùcked in the world of the Trump zealots.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we soon get to the stage where Joe has to prove his first wife and his daughter were killed.

The new Trump chant

Dig them up

Dig them up

Dig them up

i agree TBH.

Sort of like trump and his tax returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Can someone please explain what the fcuk a stammer has to do with a) the mans mental competence? and b) His ability to lead? Or anything else for that matter!

• Advertisement

Will Trump release his medical records? Especially seeing as he has made two unexpected and unannounced visits to hospital in the last few months?

Also, would a stammer for over 50 years even be on someone's medical records? Is a stammer a medical condistion?
    It's a medical condition to a degree but would only really have surfaced on school records I imagine. So really they should be asking for Biden's speech and language therapy records. Which is obviously a very silly demand. Don't believe any previous president has been asked to divulge such info. :P

I had a speech impediment from childhood that included stuttering. Signs of it still show up in my speech at times but in general, nobody would be even about to guess. It's also more likely to surface when under higher stress etc. Which this would be far greater stress than any other point politically for him.

as did i.

still have the copy books (parents still have) at home where i went to a speech therapist and was thought how to pronounce 'r'. Still cant, mind you. i look at them every so often and try to work through the exercises.. :pac:

thats not the debate though - you can appreciate that?

stuttering in old age (when previously there was no stutter before), is a sign of mental degradation. Can you acknowledge that?

All I know is, for someone who doesn’t have a stutter, he knows everything there is to know about what it’s like to have one, and how to help kids get over theirs.

But yeah, show the medals.

This is up there with the GAA suggesting Dr Ronan Glynn didn’t have evidence to back up the public health advice of clusters among people meeting up to go to GAA games.

as did i.

still have the copy books (parents still have) at home where i went to a speech therapist and was thought how to pronounce 'r'. Still cant, mind you. i look at them every so often and try to work through the exercises.. :pac:

stuttering in old age (when previously there was no stutter before), is a sign of mental degradation. Can you acknowledge that?

Who says there wasn't one there before?

Who says there wasn't one there before?

People grasping at straws?

thats the problem. dont you see that?

look at you, trying to insult me by saying i need to get a life.

lets not debate the issues on the ground, lets shout people down with insults.

as did i.

Once again, a person who had a stutter where it still occasionally resurfaces isn't a sign of mental degradation. Speech therapy can train it to be managed but there's still an element of ongoing management of it in later life. That's gonna apply even more so for a person who publicly speaks.

To use an example, there are two scenarios where it resurfaced for me. When I was a teen, I was bullied intensely. It manifested. Then I did a public speaking thing as part of my job and it resurfaced again. Neither were signs of mental degradation. Biden's surfaced at times but he's got a strong handle on it. That's what it amounts to.

You're inventing conspiracies about him never having a stutter. It's a pretty stupid talking point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Stutter or not , he forgets what he is talking about mid sentance , often.

Trump is going to destroy the Dems, and its the Dems fault.

Im no fan of Trump.

Stutter or not , he forgets what he is talking about mid sentance , often.

Trump is going to destroy the Dems, and its the Dems fault.

Im no fan of Trump.
    Trump in mid sentence got distracted by a mosquito and started ranting about killing sharks...

• Advertisement

You’re suggesting that a man who spent his entire political life (long before you or I were born) raising awareness about stutters never even had one, and demanding that he (or we) show evidence.

You think because you had a speech impediment you can decide who has one and who doesn’t? No, it’s people like you who are the ones that would make up such a lie so you can present yourself as an expert and make all of us feel guilty for calling you out on it.

Get down off your high horse. You’re another one of these people who sow the seeds and when it’s called out for the bull**** that it is you play the victim.

So yes, go and get a life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement