Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Trump is an idiot but a lot of people will vote for him given what we've seen lately with the attitude towards the police stemming from certain Democrat politicians and districts. I would not begrudge those people in the slightest - imo its a sign of things to come.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for voting for any candidate, what I would begrudge is attempted voter suppression, we want to largest participation possible no matter what "side" one is on, that way we can rest assured that the leadership will represent the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Biker79 wrote: »
    He was voted in under the best democratic system in the world. It is your duty to support that, whether you like it or not.

I agree that he won the election per the rules in place.

I'm just pointing out the error in your earlier statement. He was voted in, no argument. He might've cheated, he didn't get a majority of the general vote, but he was voted in. But, the majority of my countrymen did not vote him in. A minority did.

It's the #IMPOTUS duty to protect and defend the constitution. Not sure what you mean by, "it's your duty to support that." Support what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

A thank is not necessarily an endorsement.

I never said it was, I asked why you were thanking something you know to be a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,475 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He was voted in under the best democratic system in the world. It is your duty to support that, whether you like it or not.

supporting the system is one thing though it is flawed. that doesnt mean people have to support HIM whether YOU like it or not. the man is totally unfit to be president.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This has to be the cringiest bit of amateur propaganda I've ever read. Almost all of this is wrong.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Igotadose wrote: »
    I agree that he won the election per the rules in place.

I'm just pointing out the error in your earlier statement. He was voted in, no argument. He might've cheated, he didn't get a majority of the general vote, but he was voted in. But, the majority of my countrymen did not vote him in. A minority did.

It's the #IMPOTUS duty to protect and defend the constitution. Not sure what you mean by, "it's your duty to support that." Support what exactly?

We've a system here where people who don't get the most votes can get elected too. One Carlow TD had nearly 2000 more first preference votes more than the person who got elected ahead of them due to our voting transfer system.

Pile of sh1te if you ask me. It should be first past the post and none of this vote transfer sh1te.

I never said it was, I asked why you were thanking something you know to be a lie.

trump tactics. throw out enough lies and hope that some of them stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,606 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The system that allows a party to suppress the votes of millions? That allows foreign agents to manipulate it? That is currently in the process of dismantle the USPS to further ensure people can't vote for their preferred candidate.

The system that allows a party to suppress the votes of millions? That allows foreign agents to manipulate it? That is currently in the process of dismantle the USPS to further ensure people can't vote for their preferred candidate.

when they say "best" they mean the best used in "trump hires the best people".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A system where the large majority of votes don't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

He didn't mock the disabled reporter for being disabled (which is of course what you're implying) he mocked him for being incompetent and did so using the same mannerisms he had used to mock others in the past. It's just one of the well trotted out lies from the left that refuses to die.

You’re taking the word of a pathological liar in saying he wasn’t mocking his disability. Over the course of his entire political career, Trump has belittled and mocked multiple people through with name calling and pathetic childish rhetoric.

How any person can vote for this man is beyond me. And calling the American system the worlds greatest democracy is ridiculous. There is no political system in the world more divisive, or more hateful, than American politics. Every 4 years the world bears witness to the utter cluster**** of election time.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭uptherebels

What metric are you using to claim the "best democratic system"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You’re taking the word of a pathological liar in saying he wasn’t mocking his disability. Over the course of his entire political career, Trump has belittled and mocked multiple people through with name calling and pathetic childish rhetoric.

How any person can vote for this man is beyond me. And calling the American system the worlds greatest democracy is ridiculous. There is no political system in the world more divisive, or more hateful, than American politics. Every 4 years the world bears witness to the utter cluster**** of election time.

It's pathetic. Trump said he wasn't mocking the reporter's disability so we're just supposed to believe that despite there being objective evidence to the contrary.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Kelly Anne Conway resigning. Whether you liked her or not she was the queen of deflection and getting the Trump message out there.

I, of course, can’t stand her, but it’s a massive blow for the Trump campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Faugheen wrote: »
    Kelly Anne Conway resigning. Whether you liked her or not she was the queen of deflection and getting the Trump message out there.

Its massive. The day before the convention, with still no message or policy framework and consistently behind in the polls, the person many credited with playing a significant role in the winning of the 2016 has stepped down without warning with immediate effect.

Nearly all the senior people involved in 2016 are no longer part of the team.

This is an earthquake for the Trump team. There is almost no one else that would be a bigger loss.

I wonder will she still speak at the Republican convention?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Its massive. The day before the convention, with still no message or policy framework and consistently behind in the polls, the person many credited with playing a significant role in the winning of the 2016 has stepped down without warning with immediate effect.

This is an earthquake for the Trump team. There is almost no one else that would be a bigger loss.

Agreed it's a big deal for the Trump campaign.

When I initially saw the headline my first reaction was one of "Rats leaving a sinking ship".

But when I then read that George Conway is also stepping back from his work with the Lincoln project it certainly seems more like a genuine decision for family reasons.

The timing is horrendous for Trump and it is a massive loss for his campaign, her ability to stay on message in Interviews etc. was pretty much unsurpassed.

He simply doesn't have another surrogate anywhere near as effective.

Cue trump tweeting "She was terrible, a nasty woman, i should never have hired her"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Igotadose wrote: »

He was voted in under a fair system by a majority within your country, so absolutely you do have an obligation to support that. Under a generally accepted citizen contract. Same anywhere.

He was voted in under a fair system by a majority within your country, so absolutely you do have an obligation to support that. Under a generally accepted citizen contract. Same anywhere.

No system that gives some voters more of a say in choosing the president than others is fair.

• Advertisement

he wasn't voted in by a majority of the people of the US

No system that gives some voters more of a say in choosing the president than others is fair.

Surely you mean to say, its unfair when the result is not what you like?

Otherwise, its a well designed system.

Nope. A system that hands victory to the loser is objectively unfair. Trump was the loser and his narcissism won't allow him to forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Leroy42 wrote: »

The GOP have formally announced they have no policy platform for this upcoming election other than fully supporting Trump. No plans, no policy initiatives they want to implement, just get Trump re-elected. Self proclaimed greatest democracy in the world and one of the 2 major parties has consciously chosen to have no political or policy platform to present to voters. What a complete farce. In any normal functioning democracy a party presenting zero plans or policies to the electorate would get rejected, in the US they'll get 60m+ to vote for it.

Tell me, what's your opinion of an electoral system where the vast majority of votes don't count?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't think you know how the US Electoral system actually works, which isn't a cheap shot because most people don't.

You earlier claimed Trump won the majority of votes, which he didn't. He got 3 million less votes than Hilary Clinton.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't think you know how the US Electoral system actually works, which isn't a cheap shot because most people don't.

You earlier claimed Trump won the majority of votes, which he didn't. He got 3 million less votes than Hilary Clinton.

Did he win under a free, fair and legal system?

Exactly. Thats all that matters.

well given the foreign interference it is doubtful it was free and legal. it certainly isn't fair. a system that allows a small percentage of the population to dictate the winner is not fair.

How is it fair when 3/4 of votes don't matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not really. You are claiming that since he won its is people's duty to support him.

Which of course is mot, and never was, the case.

Did the GoP support Obama? Did Trump support Obama once elected? I seem to recall some birther issue.

Trump is POTUS and has been afforded all that entails. But he, or any POTUS, is not king.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement