Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Irishman80 wrote: »
    I don't think Biden will pull out of the debates. My original point was on the mixed messaging the Democrats were making on the issue today.

I found out pretty quickly that any criticism of the Democrats and Biden will not be tolerated.

If you heard a mixed message then that was your interpretation of it. Pelosi gave a personal opinion that Trump's lies shouldn't be given a platform. In a way she's right, the guy is a pathological liar. He lies every day and as the President he has lowered the dignity of the presidency to the gutter.

Biden said again that he looks forward to debating Trump and to fact checking and challenging the lies. This isn't confusing or mixed unless you want it to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Irishman80 take 24 hours away from this thread. You should seriously reconsider your posting style when when you return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

<Mod Snip>

Irishman80 I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, however if you post in this thread one more time between now and 9.30pm tomorrow you will receive a 1 week ban from CA

• Registered Users Posts: 83,629 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"A hot-mic video of Donald Trump from late 2015 shows the then-GOP presidential candidate privately boasting about pressuring the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to change the rating given to his embattled Trump University business venture. It also shows him complaining about a “Spanish” judge he later called a “Mexican.”

The video, obtained and released by Mother Jones on Thursday, stemmed from a December 2015 taped deposition in a lawsuit filed by former Trump University students alleging they had been defrauded by Trump’s false promises regarding the real estate seminar. While Trump repeatedly insisted throughout his 2016 campaign that he did nothing wrong and vowed never to settle the lawsuit, he agreed to pay the plaintiffs $25 million settlement over the “sham” university."

https://lawandcrime.com/awkward/hot-mic-video-shows-trump-boasting-about-threatening-bbb-complaining-about-spanish-judge-he-later-called-a-mexican/

During a break in the deposition, which took place in a conference room in Trump Tower, Trump and his attorney Daniel Petrocelli were left in the room alone, with both men apparently unaware that the camera was still rolling.

Referring to the BBB, a non-profit group that gives businesses a letter grade from A-F, Trump noted that the organization had given Trump University a “D” rating, telling Petrocelli, “that’s a kill for you.” Then Trump described how his “guy upstairs,” who he described as an “Alan Garten type,” had phoned the BBB and said, “We’re going to sue you – [unintelligible] – an ‘A,’ and got the ‘D’ removed.” The University shut down in 2010.

During a televised presidential debate a few months later, Trump made several claims about Trump University’s rating with the BBB that were soon shown to be demonstrably false.

The video also shows Trump talking about U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel, a Barack Obama appointee who was presiding over the case.

“Is he an asshole or does he just want me in his courtroom?” Trump asked Petrocelli. “He’s an average judge,” Petrocelli responded, adding, “He’s not nuts. He’s from the wrong side of the aisle, too. That’s not helping.”

Trump then asked, “What about the Spanish thing?”

A little more than a year later, newly-elected President Trump attacked the Indiana-born Curiel – who was presiding over an immigration lawsuit against Trump – as being “a Mexican.”

In a 2017 interview, Trump described Curiel as being “extremely hostile” toward him because of his stance on immigration.

“I think it has to do with, perhaps, the fact that I’m very, very strong on the border — very, very strong on the border,” Trump said. “He has been extremely hostile to me. Now, he is Hispanic, I believe.”

After being criticized for his comments, Trump doubled-down a few months later saying of Curiel, “He’s a Mexican. We’re building a wall between here and Mexico.”

The tape was given to Mother Jones by Art Cohen, one of the lead plaintiffs in the Trump University lawsuit. David Corn, who obtained the video, said Trump lawyers demanded that the video be destroyed.

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1299050816771366912?s=20

People have complained today that Biden doesn't give interviews and claimed he won't go to the debates. Well. Here's his interview today where he rubbishes Pelosi's notion he shouldn't do the debates:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/biden-dismisses-pelosi-suggestion-to-skip-debates-pledges-i-will-be-a-fact-checker-on-the-floor-while-debating-trump/

“I do not think the President of the United States has comported himself in a way that anybody associates with truth, evidence, data, and facts. I wouldn’t legitimize a conversation with him,” Pelosi told reporters on Thursday.

“What do you think about that, would you consider it, not debating the president?” Mitchell asked.

“No, I’m going to come — as long as the commission continues down the straight and narrow, as they have, I’m going to debate him,” Biden said, and added that “I’m going to be a fact checker on the floor while I’m debating him, in fact.”

“But look, the one thing that’s going on so far is the vast majority, with notable exceptions, of the news media have been fact-checking the things they’ve been saying during the convention, and it’s just one lie after another,” Biden continued. “Lying lying lying lying, one after another.”

“But the debates are going to take place, I’ve been recommended to me by a number of very competent people who know their way around, including leading Republicans, that I shouldn’t debate Trump unless there’s a fact checker on the ground, in there in the debates saying ‘that’s true, that’s not true.’ But look, I think everybody knows this man has a somewhat pathological tendency not to tell the truth,” Biden said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Biker79 wrote: »
    . Much easier to continue spouting nonsense and blindly supporting a party being eaten alive by marxism.

Just how far down the rabbit hole do you have to be to think that the Democratic Party is 'being eaten alive by marxism'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭briany

To any real hardcore Trump supporter, all you really have to say is to think of all the controversial things Trump has done or said during or before his presidency. Now, imagine those accusations were leveled at Joe Biden or any other Democrat. Would they be as forgiving?

And the real answer to that is probably no in most cases. Because what matters to them is not the action itself, but who is doing it. This is encapsulated by the fact that Bill Clinton and Trump have associated with Jeffrey Epstein. In a Trump supporter's mind, only one of these is worthy of criticism for that, and no prizes for guessing which.

And really I'd have no huge problem with a hardcore Trump supporter saying, "I don't care what he has done or said. All I care about is that his stated aims and rhetoric align with mine (be that in terms of anti-immigration, anti-globalism, pro-gun, anti-abortion, pro-police, anti-BLM, anti-left, generally annoying liberals, building the border wall, is a climate change sceptic etc.). That is ALL. i. CARE. ABOUT. Couldn't care less about his personal character." At least that would be honest. Very little mental gymnastics needed.

Trump definitely doesn't want you to know about Russia attacking our troops

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1299046525776138240?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Overheal wrote: »

I can't think of any administration in living memory that would stand for that. A strongly worded statement at a minimum. It's quite a sign of the USA's new position in the world.

I can't think of any administration in living memory that would stand for that. A strongly worded statement at a minimum. It's quite a sign of the USA's new position in the world.

You would imagine, if the incident did occur, that trump supporters would normally be all over this demanding action. But given that there folks that used to be going on about reds under the bed now sport better Russian than democrat tops, I'm not surprised if they let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

From a global point of view, it's a good thing for America not to over react to these events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Irishman80 wrote: »
    I don't think Biden will pull out of the debates. My original point was on the mixed messaging the Democrats were making on the issue today.

I found out pretty quickly that any criticism of the Democrats and Biden will not be tolerated.

Seems that way. I find it bizarre that posters can (rightly) sound off on Trump but there is zero tolerance for (rightly) sounding off on Biden.

Overheal wrote: »

"Our troops"? Irish soldier's?

From a global point of view, it's a good thing for America not to over react to these events.

If it was anyone other than the Russians involved you could bet that trump would be on Twitter stoking things up, even more than normal given its an election year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

PS: I prefer the term ' Trumpeteer '.

Orange order is more apt

Seems that way. I find it bizarre that posters can (rightly) sound off on Trump but there is zero tolerance for (rightly) sounding off on Biden.

Especially as most of us here aren't voters in America and the election isn't that important to us.

They often rightly criticise Trump fanatics and nut jobs, without being more aware of their own madness (being anti Trump).

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If it was anyone other than the Russians involved you could bet that trump would be on Twitter stoking things up, even more than normal given its an election year.

The Cold War thing is over. It seems the Democrats are the only ones who want to keep it alive.

The Democrats seem to be beginning to get frustrated with Biden. He needs to own this presidential bid on step up front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Especially as most of us here aren't voters in America and the election isn't that important to us.

They often rightly criticise Trump fanatics and nut jobs, without being more aware of their own madness (being anti Trump).

There's only one side here who claim that their man can do no wrong, isn't what all all fingers point to, and nothing but truth flows from his lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You can "sound off" about Biden all you like, The problem is some posters will spam the thread with the same crap over and over (Biden has dementia, Biden will not do the debates) and when they get pulled over for these lies they accuse others of piling on and attacking them.

Say what you like about Biden, but make sure its the truth, same for Trump, if someone has something to say about him they should ensure that the claim is true.

Do you not agree?

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    There's only one side here who claim that their man can do no wrong, isn't what all all fingers point to, and nothing but truth flows from his lips.

But who cares! And they are a tiny minority on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/paleonut_/status/1298817166326734849?s=21 the Russian are up to their old tricks again

You can "sound off" about Biden all you like, The problem is some posters will spam the thread with the same crap over and over (Biden has dementia, Biden will not do the debates) and when they get pulled over for these lies they accuse others of piling on and attacking them.

Say what you like about Biden, but make sure its the truth, same for Trump, if someone has something to say about him they should ensure that the claim is true.

Do you not agree?

Point out where I said Biden has dementia or won't do the debates.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Point out where I said Biden has dementia or won't do the debates.

Thanks

Did I say you had said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There is a flagrant abuse of language among Bidenistas.

Alternative fact, you are talking through your covfefe.

Much easier to continue spouting nonsense and blindly supporting a party being eaten alive by marxism.

Have you been drinking the same stuff as killed Joe McCarthy? Give us examples of the marxism you are talking about. Facts please. No more fantasy. Examples please.

PS: I prefer the term ' Trumpeteer '.

I prefer the term Golf Bunker Dan.

The Cold War thing is over. It seems the Democrats are the only ones who want to keep it alive.

*Laughs in Hillary selling uranium to Russians*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

feargale wrote: »
    Give us examples of the marxism you are talking about. Facts please. No more fantasy. Examples please.

Wasting your time there asking for examples. That poster has been asked a number of times to back up their claims that the Democratic party and Joe Biden are Marxist/Communist and never responded other than repeating the same right wing lies.

The Democrats seem to be beginning to get frustrated with Biden. He needs to own this presidential bid on step up front and centre.

Seem how? What’s your evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

"Our troops"? Irish soldier's?

Overheal's a yank.

• Advertisement

Really because about eight years ago wasn't a republican presidential contender reminded of this.
    Like your claims not to be a trump supporter, even the dogs in the street know that if the incident did or didn't occur with anyone other than the Russians involved, trump would be stoking things up on Twitter straight away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement