Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

1990sman wrote: »
    maybe at first but they grew to love each other and appreciate each others individuality to become the guardians of each others privacy, innit.

Is that why she refuses to hold his hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Biden reminds me of a lovely old wealthy man you'd meet in Dingle during the summer, over on his holidays from the States completing his long planned trip before he is too elderly to do so again. I actually dread the debates for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    Biden reminds me of a lovely old wealthy man you'd meet in Dingle during the summer, over on his holidays from the States completing his long planned trip before he is too elderly to do so again. I actually dread the debates for him.
    Do you think his DNC speech showed evidence of someone in significant cognitive decline?

If you did......why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Look - during the Democratic primary the narrative was that Biden would fall asunder and be incoherent and he was fully expected to descend into a bumbling drooling mess in the head-to-head with Bernie Sanders. Didn't happen.

Then Trump and the GOP put out the story that he wouldn't even be able to give his speech at the DNC but he did and it was a good political speech. Meanwhile low energy Trump droned his way through his extremely boring speech with multiple teleprompter fails.

Biden will be fine in the debates, he won't be spectacular but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to let Trump rant and tell lies (which he will) and point them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

I agree, he came across well reading his prepared speech. But the debates will not have that comfort and that is why I feel sorry for him. Look at any recent video when a host just pops a few regular questions at him that he was not expecting. It would be better if the democrats can avoid the debates altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Do you think his DNC speech showed evidence of someone in significant cognitive decline?

If you did......why?

Because it was a speech not a debate. You cannot rehearse a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I'm not sure why this keeps being repeated? Trump is woeful at debating beyond "no puppet no puppet you're the puppet!", while Biden won out in debates only a few months ago vs Sanders, Harris, Warren and a whole bunch of others who are far better at it than Donald despite (along with Sanders) being the number 1 target for them, as the front runner.

I agree, he came across well reading his prepared speech. But the debates will not have that comfort and that is why I feel sorry for him. Look at any recent video when a host just pops a few regular questions at him that he was not expecting. It would be better if the democrats can avoid the debates altogether.

Better than Trump who struggles badly with the teleprompter and did again at the RNC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And the big difference from 2016, Trump is the incumbent.

HC was effectively treated as such in 2016 and with Trump behind in the polls in 2016 he needed simply not to lose.

2020 is very different. His zingers like 'I'd lock you up" will invariably be met with a question of why he didn't do it in the previous 4 years.

Any attempt to blame democratic governors is easily met with the retort that 'so you admit to have no ability to manage?'

If Trump thinks this will just be a rerun where he can avoid any real answers and look to blame everyone else then I reckon he will get destroyed.

I don't think he is that naive but thinking he will have it easy it nonsense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm not sure why this keeps being repeated? Trump is woeful at debating beyond "no puppet no puppet you're the puppet!", while Biden won out in debates only a few months ago vs Sanders, Harris, Warren and a whole bunch of others who are far better at it than Donald despite (along with Sanders) being the number 1 target for them, as the front runner.

It won't be a "debate" in the classic sense.

Biden did very well in the primary debates against other "debaters" , but that's not what Trump is - He's a carnival barker.

He will bluster, bluff, interrupt and spout absolute nonsense throughout, and if Biden and critically the moderators allow Trump to waffle and lie , then it will be painful.

I'm not sure what the plan is for the debates , but if they are "socially distanced" without a crowd I think that is a huge advantage to Biden.

Trump feeds off a crowd and gauges his words on how the crowd reacts , without an audience I think he will struggle really really badly.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Biden did very well in the primary debates against other "debaters" , but that's not what Trump is - He's a carnival barker.

He will bluster, bluff, interrupt and spout absolute nonsense throughout, and if Biden and critically the moderators allow Trump to waffle and lie , then it will be painful.

I'm not sure what the plan is for the debates , but if they are "socially distanced" without a crowd I think that is a huge advantage to Biden.

Trump feeds off a crowd and gauges his words on how the crowd reacts , without an audience I think he will struggle really really badly.

The point above about Trump being the incumbent is also very important. In 2016 he was the disruptor and could get away with blustering and spouting nonsense. This time it's different - but Biden needs to be on the ball and call out the inevitable nonsense and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quin_Dub wrote: »

That's a very good point. His ego won't stand up if he doesn't have instant approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Overheal wrote: »
    And still very few new miles of wall. Lots of replacement or upgraded barriers in existing miles of wall tho.

Yawn. This has to be one of the most absurd criticisms of Trump. Listen to what you're saying for heaven sake. You're trying to undermine some of the new wall by saying that it only replaced old barrier and fencing. It's absurd. Trump did not just run on the notion that every single inch of the new wall would be on land where there was never any old barrier, which is what he would have had to have done for any of these nonsense attempted gotchas to make any damn sense.

Of course the new wall mostly replaces old fencing and barriers - duh! The point is that the old crap wasn't working and was hugely ineffective and insufficient. Trump cited this multiple times on the campaign trail and often made fun of the old fencing and barriers in fact. It's not the gotcha you appear to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yawn. This has to be one of the most absurd criticisms of Trump. Listen to what you're saying for heaven sake. You're trying to undermine some of the new wall by saying that it only replaced old barrier and fencing. It's absurd. Trump did not just run on the notion that every single inch of the new wall would be on land where there was never any old barrier, which is what he would have had to have done for any of these nonsense attempted gotchas to make any damn sense.

Of course the new wall mostly replaces old fencing and barriers - duh! The point is that the old crap wasn't working and was hugely ineffective and insufficient. Trump cited this multiple times on the campaign trail and often made fun of the old fencing and barriers in fact. It's not the gotcha you appear to think it is.

The Mexicans didn't pay for the wall he didn't build. Just another brainfart lie from The Donald.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well - If we're being specific , it's not a wall - It's a fence.

A tall fence , but a fence none the less.

Plus while Trump supporters still claim Clinton as a mastermind criminal. Still has not been locked up. Has he achieved anything that required partisan support for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So he ran on the basis of building a wall that was already there, but just wasn't working that well?

Did he give any credit to the people responsible for the original wall? Did he point out that it wouldn't be possible to finish within 4 years? Did he acknowledge that American tax payers would be paying rather than Mexico?

Which of course, if you remember, was his answer as to how if proposed to fund the wall because there was no budget, which or course turned out to be the case.

Maybe he meant Reinforce the existing structures. Build the wall is easier to chant I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

you are probably better filing the wall alongside the virus. 'Built' by scammers , paid for by trump delusionists, the money pissed away on chynamans yacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,621 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I agree, he came across well reading his prepared speech.

Which is more than can be said for Trump, who seemed to experience difficulty reciting what was written on the teleprompter.
    But the debates will not have that comfort and that is why I feel sorry for him. Look at any recent video when a host just pops a few regular questions at him that he was not expecting. It would be better if the democrats can avoid the debates altogether.

Do you have any specific examples?

For example, there are very specific examples of Trump having bizarre interview snafus: his interview with Chris Wallace where he tripped himself up about the cognitive testing, the Axios interview where he flubbed on the covid pandemic, "it is what it is," his meandering 138 word answer to Sean Hannity about what he will accomplish with another 4 years that mentioned nothing about what he would do with another 4 years,
    "One of the things that will be really great -- the word experience is still good, I always say talent is more important than experience, I've always said that -- but the word experience is a very important word, a very important meaning. I never did this before, never slept over in Washington. I was in Washington maybe 17 times and all of a sudden I'm the President of the United States, you know the story, riding down Pennsylvania Avenue with our first lady and I say this is great but I didn't know very many people in Washington, it wasn't my thing. I was from Manhattan, from New York, and now I know everybody. And I have great people in the administration. You make some mistakes, like an idiot like Bolton, you don't have to drop bombs on everybody."

Then Eric Bolling interviewed him a couple days later and set him up to give the same softball answer. With days to study for his makeup test, Don said this incoherence:
    "We're going to make America great again. We've rebuilt the military, we have a ways to go. We've done things for the vets like nobody's ever seen. We can do even more -- we did choice, as you know, we did accountability. What we've done nobody's been able to do. But we have more to do...

"...At the end of our first term, it's going to be great, it would have been phenomenal. We got hit with the plague. At the end of the second term, it's going to be at a level that nobody will have ever seen a country. We're doing it, whether it's trade, whether it's military -- all made in the USA, so important. Made in the USA. ... We've got to bring back our manufacturing and I brought it back very big, but we have to make our own pharmaceutical products, our own drugs, prescription drugs."

And just today, we have this quote from the president today, it was 24 hours after accepting the Republican nomination, Trump was asked what he would do with another 4 years, and Trump spoke:
    "But so I think, I think it would be, I think it would be very, very, I think we'd have a very, very solid, we would continue what we're doing, we'd solidify what we've done, and we have other things on our plate that we want to get done."

.... that's utter babble. If this were Joe Biden's answers to these questions ye would be apoplectic.

He campaigned on a barrier end to end. He campaigned on an impenetrable wall. A super duper tall wall. A transparent, concrete wall. AND MEXICO WILL PAY FOR IT. That was the mandate.

Now of course clap on the back for refreshing existing barriers, I'm an engineer and all that. But, the barriers he's setting up far underachieve on the performance advertised to Americans, even as they were going in the ground. Infinite% Over budget and way over schedule, with fraud indictments being handed out. While I have no doubt you are personally bored to death of the criticism, and have no impulse in your mind body or soul to have the issue affect your adulation of Trump, it is nonetheless valid criticism and wasn't directed at you if you are that ambivalent about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

How can Joe Biden call the looters and continuos amounts rioters “peaceful protesters.” I know he doesn't go out in public that ofter but surely he has the internet etc ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

He has no choice seeing how half the party are now radical leftists.

I wonder does he realise he's a trojan force for a Kamala Harris/ AOC presidency?

Doesnt bear thinking about.

He should be left alone to rock in his chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

How can Joe Biden call the looters and continuos amounts rioters “peaceful protesters.”

He cant ,,,Thats why he didn't

Why are you making up **** ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Do you think being ugly or poor is a character failing?

100%.
    You never answered me when I asked you to explain your comment to me about the HK/BLM protests comparison by the way

Been working on a response all day. Actually, I have a whole team on it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Overheal wrote: »
    He campaigned on a barrier end to end. He campaigned on an impenetrable wall. A super duper tall wall. A transparent, concrete wall. AND MEXICO WILL PAY FOR IT. That was the mandate.

Now of course clap on the back for refreshing existing barriers, I'm an engineer and all that. But, the barriers he's setting up far underachieve on the performance advertised to Americans, even as they were going in the ground. Infinite% Over budget and way over schedule, with fraud indictments being handed out. While I have no doubt you are personally bored to death of the criticism, and have no impulse in your mind body or soul to have the issue affect your adulation of Trump, it is nonetheless valid criticism and wasn't directed at you if you are that ambivalent about it...
    John oliver did a programme on this recently.
    https://youtu.be/3ZRE6uVMDAo
    What a clusterf#ck!

How can Joe Biden call the looters and continuos amounts rioters “peaceful protesters.” I know he doesn't go out in public that ofter but surely he has the internet etc ......

Where did he call looters peaceful protesters?

Biker79 wrote: »
    100%.

Been working on a response all day. Actually, I have a whole team on it right now.

How exactly is ugliness a character failing? Do you think of the stupid statements you're making?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

100%.

Gotta hand it to you

unflattering-donald-trump-chin-photo-ps-battle-36-583ecca015a1a__700.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

100%.

So shallow. I feel sorry for you.

• Advertisement

Can you show us evidence that Biden called rioters "peaceful protesters"??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement