Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ok, time to call it.

Trump will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ok, time to call it.

Trump will lose.

That would be a great end to a terrible year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Biker79 wrote: »
    He has no choice seeing how half the party are now radical leftists.

I wonder does he realise he's a trojan force for a Kamala Harris/ AOC presidency?

Doesnt bear thinking about.

He should be left alone to rock in his chair.

What do you consider the criteria to be for some one to be a radical leftist?

I keep hearing that phrase bandied about a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Biker79 stay out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

DrumSteve wrote: »
    What do you consider the criteria to be for some one to be a radical leftist?

I keep hearing that phrase bandied about a lot.

People who believe in decent universal healthcare or a livable minimum wage or, shock horror, paid maternity leave. Seriously radical stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Apparently, and someone may have mentioned this already, but Hillary was as far ahead in the polls as Biden is now this time 4 years ago.

And this is a concern for the Dems, because I think 4 years ago there were ppl who would not admit voting for Trump back then, or at least changed their minds on election day at the last minute.

So, given the way polls have been so wrong in recent years, even if Biden wins, he won't win by as much as the polls say today, imo. It might be as tight as the Gore/Bush election. I just can't see Biden winning by a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Overheal wrote: »
    Where did he call looters peaceful protesters?

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1299794566376120320

• Registered Users Posts: 83,617 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That’s what I thought: he didn’t. The only thing he mentions in this clip is peaceful protesters and fellow citizens. Now I’m happy to be corrected if you actually uncover a quote of him calling a looter a peaceful protester.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

He blames the Mayor: “She hasn’t done her job. Her job is to protect me and protect the city. And I just don’t see that she’s doing it. I can’t go out at nighttime anymore. I’m afraid to. That’s not normal; that’s not the way Americans are supposed to live.”

chi-x-3.jpg

This has become a vote for or against Evil, Trump will win , and will win in a big way, a landslide is coming, no if, ands or buts about it.
    Vote Dems, get chaos and antifa, or vote Trump and get law & order & prosperty.
    Chicago , the home of Obama, has shown the USA the future under Dem rule, a total disaster, the vote will be a total Trump Victory.
    RFK JR is now on the Trump Train, unthinkable a few months ago, Total Trump victory is a certainty, bet accordantly.

Chicago.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He has no choice seeing how half the party are now radical leftists.

I wonder does he realise he's a trojan force for a Kamala Harris/ AOC presidency?

Doesnt bear thinking about.

He should be left alone to rock in his chair.

Trojan force??

Ah heyor, ever read a book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭briany

AllForIt wrote: »
    Apparently, and someone may have mentioned this already, but Hillary was as far ahead in the polls as Biden is now this time 4 years ago.

And this is a concern for the Dems, because I think 4 years ago there were ppl who would not admit voting for Trump back then, or at least changed their minds on election day at the last minute.

So, given the way polls have been so wrong in recent years, even if Biden wins, he won't win by as much as the polls say today, imo. It might be as tight as the Gore/Bush election. I just can't see Biden winning by a landslide.

Trump's supporters will always vote for him. The question is what reason has he given swing voters to vote for him? If you'd been talking about this in Jan, the economy was running along nicely. This could have been enough by itself.

Since then, the George Floyd protests/riots and coronavirus have shown a worrying inability to lead. Or rather a desire not to be a unifying leader but instead taking sides and pointing fingers. These are not the actions of a dignified statesman or a true leader for all Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

100%.

Been working on a response all day. Actually, I have a whole team on it right now.
    Where is it then?

Think you might be mistaking smugness for wit and intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

AllForIt wrote: »

538 poll aggregation;

Aug. 28th, 2016 - Clinton 43.2%, Trump 37.5%(Link)
    Aug. 28th, 2020 - Biden 50.8%, Trump 42.2% (Link)

538 also had it down as a 3.9% lead for Clinton on election day, when she won the popular vote by 2.1%. That's within the margin of error, so I don't see how they were "so wrong" about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

da_miser wrote: »

This has become a vote for or against Evil, Trump will win , and will win in a big way, a landslide is coming, no if, ands or buts about it.
    Vote Dems, get chaos and antifa, or vote Trump and get law & order & prosperty.
    Chicago , the home of Obama, has shown the USA the future under Dem rule, a total disaster, the vote will be a total Trump Victory.
    RFK JR is now on the Trump Train, unthinkable a few months ago, Total Trump victory is a certainty, bet accordantly.

You do realise that Trump currently is, and has been for almost 4 years, POTUS?

We don't have to wonder if law and order breaks down under Trump, we see it everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Circa 20M people have protested.
    Circa 10K people have been arrested.

That's 0.05%
    That means 99.95% people who have protested have not been arrested.

What percentage of a group need to engage in a specific activity for, in your view, it to be said that that all people associated with that group are guilty of the same activity or frame of mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

U.S. planning to cut military presence in Iraq

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-reduce-troop-level-iraq-3500-5200/story?id=72681778

The United States is planning to decrease its military presence in Iraq. According to military officials, the U.S. will reduce its number of troops from 5,200 to 3,500 in the region.

President Trump: "We were there, and now we’re getting out," he told reporters. "We’ll be leaving shortly."

The is great news for us all, Biden supporters and Trump supporters alike. I think we can all agree with the push to end counter insurgency. This will win Trump votes no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

U.S. planning to cut military presence in Iraq

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-reduce-troop-level-iraq-3500-5200/story?id=72681778

The United States is planning to decrease its military presence in Iraq. According to military officials, the U.S. will reduce its number of troops from 5,200 to 3,500 in the region.

President Trump: "We were there, and now we’re getting out," he told reporters. "We’ll be leaving shortly."

The is great news for us all, Biden supporters and Trump supporters alike. I think we can all agree with the push to end counter insurgency. This will win Trump votes no doubt.

I know Americans who were against the US invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan who are now angry of Trump disengaging from the Middle East, they were also sore he didn't take out Assad.

Trump derangement syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Apparently Trump is going to visit Kenosha on Tuesday. That's just what they need, that clown stoking the fire even more

It just goes to highlight the complexity, and confusion, over US foreign policy.

They want the largest, most advanced and most expensive military in the world, yet they don't want to engage in any fighting
    They want to tell other countries what to do and when do do it, including who to run the country, but don't want to get involved
    They want their troops out spreading democracy, but don't want their troops in harms way.
    They want to pick sides in foreign conflicts, but baulk at the idea of selling arms.
    Some of their biggest companies are based on producing arms.
    They believe that guns make people safe, but anyone with a gun (that is not American) is a terrorist.

They want to disengage from the ME, except for Israel where they cheer when actively siding with Israel and giving billions each year in aid.

Basically, the average American has no idea what the hell they country is up to, the problems they cause, the effects they have abroad, or the damage and chaos they leave behind.

Many would think that the US military is the best in the world, despite the numerous and consistent failures, but they believe the hyoe that the administration (or both hues) prefer to spread.

So they want a POTUS that brings their troops home, but cheer when he spends $50bn a year extra on the military.

Apparently Trump is going to visit Kenosha on Tuesday. That's just what they need, that clown stoking the fire even more

People there need reassurance that the Country is not forgetting them in their hour of need. Leaving their lives and futures to be burnt out by a mob.

They have burnt out or robbed as much as they can at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

He goes "He's stoking the fires"

He doesn't go "He doesn't care about poor black people"

Leftie logic 101.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It just goes to highlight the complexity, and confusion, over US foreign policy.

They want the largest, most advanced and most expensive military in the world, yet they don't want to engage in any fighting
    They want to tell other countries what to do and when do do it, including who to run the country, but don't want to get involved
    They want their troops out spreading democracy, but don't want their troops in harms way.
    They want to pick sides in foreign conflicts, but baulk at the idea of selling arms.
    Some of their biggest companies are based on producing arms.
    They believe that guns make people safe, but anyone with a gun (that is not American) is a terrorist.

They want to disengage from the ME, except for Israel where they cheer when actively siding with Israel and giving billions each year in aid.

Basically, the average American has no idea what the hell they country is up to, the problems they cause, the effects they have abroad, or the damage and chaos they leave behind.

Many would think that the US military is the best in the world, despite the numerous and consistent failures, but they believe the hyoe that the administration (or both hues) prefer to spread.

So they want a POTUS that brings their troops home, but cheer when he spends $50bn a year extra on the military.

It is complex but at it's heart most Americans do not want a military adventurer as President and Trump is the first one in many decades who is not.

Many people who also do not want that are making sounds opposite that cause Trump etc etc.

Danzy wrote: »
    People there need reassurance that the Country is not forgetting them in their hour of need. Leaving their lives and futures to be burnt out by a mob.

I totally agree. It is well past time that the leader of the country took an active role in this, and other areas, rather than hiding behind the 'blame the governor' line.

That might be technically true, but a strong leader can push things certain ways, and as you say by visiting the place he can give the people hope and a sense that America is in this together.

This is a significant change from his approach to date, preferring to let the people suffer and blame others. Perhaps they have realised that by playing the role of a leader it could actually make people think he has some leadership qualities.

I do wonder will he stick to blaming the rioters for everything or will he address the recent murders by a Trump supporter openly carry an assault weapon?

There hasn't been violence there since the night the Trump supporter killed 2 people there. Even the local news source have more urgent things to report on.

It is complex but at it's heart most Americans do not want a military adventurer as President and Trump is the first one in many decades who is not.

Many people who also do not want that are making sounds opposite that cause Trump etc etc.

What 'adventures' did Obama have?

Trump fired missiles into Syria and threatened to nuke NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He goes "He's stoking the fires"

He doesn't go "He doesn't care about poor black people"

Leftie logic 101.

Well, he doesn’t.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There hasn't been violence there since the night the Trump supporter killed 2 people there. Even the local news source have more urgent things to report on.

Like I said they have burnt and robbed as .much as they can.

People there will still want to see the country standing by them, federal aid to rebuild, national Guard to step in. Federal charges to be pursued against the criminals.

Many of the federal offenses carry 20 year minimum sentences.

As well as that it is an election year and he'll want to point and say look what Joe's buddies did.

Like I said they have burnt and robbed as .much as they can.

People there will still want to see the country standing by them, federal aid to rebuild, national Guard to step in. Federal charges to be pursued against the criminals.

Many of the federal offenses carry 20 year minimum sentences.

As well as that it is an election year and he'll want to point and say look what Joe's buddies did.

The cognitive dissonance is strong here. Do you have evidence that these people are buddies of Biden? And surely by that logic the Trump supporter who murdered 2 people there is a buddy of Trump??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok, time to call it.
    Trump will lose.
    I honestly wouldn't.
    It is is still very tight in a lot of swing states.
    I think a lot more people will vote for trump but wouldn't be willing to admit it to pollsters.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I totally agree. It is well past time that the leader of the country took an active role in this, and other areas, rather than hiding behind the 'blame the governor' line.

That might be technically true, but a strong leader can push things certain ways, and as you say by visiting the place he can give the people hope and a sense that America is in this together.

This is a significant change from his approach to date, preferring to let the people suffer and blame others. Perhaps they have realised that by playing the role of a leader it could actually make people think he has some leadership qualities.

I do wonder will he stick to blaming the rioters for everything or will he address the recent murders by a Trump supporter openly carry an assault weapon?

There are Federal charges being brought against circa 80 people in Portland now, more to come.

The minimum sentences for the charges, as they are Federal ones vary from 10 to 20 years.

That's significant and they are only getting started.

Outside of all that he knows that this is an issue he can win on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement