Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

And "The Dems" didn't bring in anything, it was a ballot measure voted on directly by the people of California.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,890 ✭✭✭✭Penn

da_miser wrote: »
    The Dems brought in a law if the value is less than $950 you wont be arrested, as you can imagine chaos

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/san-francisco-shoplifting-video/

No they didn't.
    Prop 47, which California voters approved in 2014, reclassified some minor crimes as misdemeanors instead of felonies, with the intent of reducing what was at the time a severely overcrowded prison population. The aim was also to reduce the number of people serving long sentences and ending up with felony-conviction records for petty crimes.

Prop 47 increased the felony threshold for certain types of theft from $450 to $950 — meaning the simple theft of property valued below $950 is a misdemeanor. It also reduced simple drug possession (possession of drugs without the intent to sell) to a misdemeanor. The claim that Prop 47 is to blame for the incident depicted in the video is representative of misinformation that has been circulating about the law for years, said George Gascón, the former district attorney of San Francisco who is now running for the same position in Los Angeles County and who co-authored Prop 47.

Although the threshold for misdemeanor-versus-felony theft prior to Prop 47 was $450, it’s unclear whether the new law makes any potential difference in the San Francisco case. In the video, the thieves are seen stuffing drugstore-brand cosmetics into bags. It’s unknown how much the items were worth — SFPD would not give us an estimate.

“Prop 47 doesn’t cover robberies, theft by the use of force or fear. It doesn’t cover burglaries,” Gascón said. “If you break into a structure with the intent to commit theft or another felony, that continues to be a felony. If someone breaks into your car to steal even a pack of cigarettes, that’s still a felony. Even the crimes that are covered by Prop 47, they were not decriminalized. We moved them from a felony to a misdemeanor. [Perpetrators] can still go to county jail” if they are convicted.

Are you going to retract your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Prop 47 didn't legalize shoplifting. Prop 47 was also a Californian-wide ballot initiative.

There are huge problems in SF. Most of them are to due with wealth, with high income earners driving everyone else out. Have you lived in San Francisco?

Doubt he could pick SF out on a map never mind lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And "The Dems" didn't bring in anything, it was a ballot measure voted on directly by the people of California.

Trump supporters hate democracy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So they didn't legalize shoplifting so as you claimed?
    The Dems brought in a law if the value is less than $950 you wont be arrested, nowthat sounds like legalised shoplifting to me.
    Sure why not go downtown and rob, if you get caught the police wont arrest you, just send you on your way, nothing to loose by shoplifting, thats what i would call legalised shoplifting, of course the Dem supporters wont see anything wrong with this, and this is precisely why Trump will win in November

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »

No they didn't.

Snopes? really?
    The owner left his wife and ran off with a prostitute amongst other unsavoury things

Yeah he's gone fully down the rabbit hole now. Ranting and raving over baseless conspiracy theories and making absolutely no sense. I think his handlers need to keep him off the TV and possibly away from the debates at this stage. I mean if he goes this far off-piste in a friendly interview with Laura Ingraham doing her best to keep him on track and make him not sound completely nuts, imagine him in the debates. Planeful of thugs wearing dark uniforms flying into Washington apparently! Kind of sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah he's gone fully down the rabbit hole now. Ranting and raving over baseless conspiracy theories and making absolutely no sense. I think his handlers need to keep him off the TV and possibly away from the debates at this stage. I mean if he goes this far off-piste in a friendly interview with Laura Ingraham doing her best to keep him on track and not sound completely nuts, imagine him in the debates. Planeful of thugs wearing dark uniforms flying into Washington apparently! Kind of sad really.

that is all just a dog whistle for his base. his supporters lap it up. expect it to be repeated ad nauseum by his supporters here.

The Dems brought in a law if the value is less than $950 you wont be arrested, nowthat sounds like legalised shoplifting to me.
    Sure why not go downtown and rob, if you get caught the police wont arrest you, just send you on your way, nothing to loose by shoplifting, thats what i would call legalised shoplifting, of course the Dem supporters wont see anything wrong with this, and this is precisely why Trump will win in November

Are you ignoring the fact that this was voted in at a statewide vote by the electorate? Yes of course you are. And it wasn't legalised - it's still a misdemeanor. Look just admit you were totally wrong that it was legalised and we can move on.

Snopes? really?
    The owner left his wife and ran off with a prostitute amongst other unsavoury things
    What are you on about?

Proposition 47 was a ballot initiative passed by a significant majority of California voters. Newt Gingrich was a supporter of this, and he's most definitely not a Democrat. It was California wide and not just in effect in San Francisco. It changed non-violent theft of under $950 to a misdemeanor and not a felony, not at all what you claimed.

You're chatting total nonsense, basically.

• Advertisement

Snopes? really?

Let me tell you a story of a man named Donald Trump...

Regardless, you were wrong. Are you going to retract your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I know, Trump has an unfortunate tendency to bully and behave in a purile way. Great to see a Trump supporter acknowledging it.

Wouldn't characterise myself as a Trump supporter just like pushing back against the one way traffic, but whatever... hey C'mon Fat, look Fat, you’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier and your too old to vote for him anyway but if you cant figure out whether your voting Joe or Trump, you ain't black !

Awful talk from aul Joey isnt it !?

3 minutes of video that will show to even the most rabid sufferer of TDS why Trump will win in November, if you dont agree i would like to read the reason why you think Biden and the Dems will win, these Dem run cities are a preview of what the county would look like with a Dem in the white house, who in their right mind would vote for that?

da_miser; have you ever in your life been to California?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

3 minutes of video that will show to even the most rabid sufferer of TDS why Trump will win in November, if you dont agree i would like to read the reason why you think Biden and the Dems will win, these Dem run cities are a preview of what the county would look like with a Dem in the white house, who in their right mind would vote for that?

FAKE NEWS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Wouldn't characterise myself as a Trump supporter just like pushing back against the one way traffic, but whatever... hey C'mon Fat, look Fat, you’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier and your too old to vote for him anyway but if you cant figure out whether your voting Joe or Trump, you ain't black !

Awful talk from aul Joey isnt it !?

What? It's a bit early to be drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,749 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think you'll find such sufferers are hoping for that outcome.

Case in point.

gyuk-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

What? It's a bit early to be drunk.

Those are all Joe Biden lines which go against this mad idea he isn't rude to people also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Do CNN or any media outlet ever ask Biden questions ?

What I have seen is his handlers quickly take grandpa off the stage as soon as he delivers his bumbling jibbering speech ...

What I have seen is his handlers quickly take grandpa off the stage as soon as he delivers his bumbling jibbering speech ...

The Trump campaign should try that - he made an absolute show of himself on friendly Fox last night. Is calling him grandpa meant to be disparaging or something? Trump is a grandparent. What relevance is it bringing up about Biden??

Here's a recent Biden interview - you could have easily found this and others by doing a quick search. Wonder why you didn't? Be prepared to be disappointed - no baseless ranting and conspiracies about dark shadows and uniformed thugs on planes etc

• Advertisement

So you're not going to retract your claim that Dems have legalised shoplifting up to $950 even though it's been proven wrong.

So why should anyone take anything you say seriously when you're clearly either susceptible to actual fake news or wilfully propagating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Snopes? really?

Is banging a prostitute a bad thing now? I have some bad news for you about your fake tanned hero so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Thats a blatant lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Penn wrote: »

No they didn't.

Why do Trump supporters keep posting things that are untrue?

It reminds me of those fake news creators from the US who were trying to target liberals and conservatives for "engagements" back in 2015/2016. They gave up targeting liberals because whenever a fake story was posted to their groups, someone in the comments would point out that the story wasn't true. That wasn't the case with conservatives who would go on to spread the fake story regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭randd1

Trump supporters hate democracy at times.

Hey, go easy on them, a lot of them love democracy so long as their guy gets an advantage like voter suppression. After all, a Trumpian's gotta Trump*.

* A trump is also another name for a fart. Seems apt given what shi*e Trump or so many Trumpians come out with.

Yes. ABC News interviewed him last week.

Why do Trump supporters keep asking stupid questions when a quick google would save them from looking silly.

It's like asking "I wonder if anyone ever went to the moon?". It reflects poorly on the person asking the question.

Thats a blatant lie.

It doesn't matter to him. He will continue to repeat it anyway because that's how it is with your mind on Trump. They're all at it - making stuff up, spreading fake stories and so on and when they're corrected on it, they continue with the lying and spreading of lies.

They don't see anything wrong with that and to be fair to them, they're not really trying to convince others as much as they're trying to convince themselves that they didn't get suckered. It's not easy to realise you've been suckered, especially in the presence of facts showing as much. It's much easier to convince yourself that you were right all along by accepting alternative facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Pure gold. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

CNN might or some z list rapper but the Democrats are hiding Joe away from real scrutiny for good reason. He made a complete shambles of attempting to read a teleprompter yesterday god knows how he's going to cope in a debate.

The democrats need to desperately look at replacing him sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

CNN might or some z list rapper but the Democrats are hiding Joe away from real scrutiny for good reason. He made a complete shambles of attempting to read a teleprompter yesterday god knows how he's going to cope in a debate.

The democrats need to desperately look at replacing him sooner rather than later.

We have a pretty good idea since he performed well in debates earlier in the year....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement