Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

WrenBoy wrote: »
    when Trump first Implemented Travel restrictions earlier in the pandemic didn't the Dems call him racist and tell people to go visit Chinatown or something like that ? I remember Pelosi did anyway.

Pelosi actually did a tour of Chinatown, maskless of course :D

Trump isn't perfect by half but he's marginally the better candidate than Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

WrenBoy wrote: »
    when Trump first Implemented Travel restrictions earlier in the pandemic didn't the Dems call him racist and tell people to go visit Chinatown or something like that ? I remember Pelosi did anyway.

Proof?

You'll find that it is probably "Fake News"

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/trumps-false-claims-about-pelosi-and-chinatown/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Where am i defending him? I'm pointing out facts.

You were defending him you said the deaths weren’t as high as other countries and finished with but yeah it’s all Trumps fault. You can pretend that wasn’t a defence you can even pretend your not a Trump supporter for whatever reason of your own but no one here is buying it.

salmocab wrote: »
    You were defending him you said the deaths weren’t as high as other countries and finished with but yeah it’s all Trumps fault. You can pretend that wasn’t a defence you can even pretend your not a Trump supporter for whatever reason of your own but no one here is buying it.

So we've established the deaths aren't as high as other countries then. Excellent.

Pelosi actually did a tour of Chinatown, maskless of course :D

Trump isn't perfect by half but he's marginally the better candidate than Biden.

This was on the 24th February - the number of Covid-19 cases in the USA on the 24th February was 53 in total. I'm curious why would she be wearing a mask at that time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So we've established the deaths aren't as high as other countries then. Excellent.

Yes we’ve established something that no one disputed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Only if the US is prepared to pay higher prices. The reason the US is so reliant on China is that China produces stuff cheaper than the US can.

Are people in the US ready to pay extra? Sure it would lead to more jobs etc, but that was always the case. Globalisation happened because companies wanted to make more profits, not because they had a liking for China.

Wher did Trump source the steel required to build Trump Tower? Where did he get his clothesline produced? China. He didn't do that because he hates America, he did it because it was cheaper.

So far from it all being China's fault, it is actually America's own fault. Eah and every person, to a larger or lessor degree, played their part in it.

Sure hasn't his own daughter got a few patents in China?

But Joe Biden.

is none of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I can't read up on everything as there isn't enough hours in the day so I try to keep myself as best informed as I can.

You're not really though. The amount of actual information contained in those videos by the youtubers that you mentioned yesterday is shockingly low for their length. They can spend 30 minutes to an hour about a single and often silly event like some guy losing a job for saying "n*gg*r".

That 30 minutes could be better spent on some news sites which actually contain a summary of world events.

It's really not hard to be informed but you're actively sabotaging yourself and showing yourself up.

Higher than most countries. Currently 10th in deaths per million. Crucially the trend line in the US is ever upwards unlike other countries like Spain and Italy who have got much better control of the virus.

Deaths per million in Italy at the start of July were 579, today it's 587 - a marginal increase of 1.4%.

Deaths per million in USA at the start of July were 400, today it's 576 - a 44% increase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Deaths per million in the US aren't as bad as Spain, Sweden, Italy, Peru, UK etc...

But yeah it's all Trump's fault.

Ah the old - But other places are as bad /worse excuse.

Just because others made mistakes doesn't absolve him of his.

The "Deaths per Million" chart you reference , let's take a look at that shall we?

BZj8Jg7.jpg

No one is saying that the other countries in that list did a perfect job .

Some , like Italy,Spain,Belgium and France were among the 1st places hit and they suffered through that early pain when people didn't really understand what was happening or how to mitigate.

Sweden and the UK tried the "Herd Immunity" route and suffered accordingly , although the UK changed tack eventually.

Have a close look at the 2nd Column - The one showing current "Daily Deaths".

Whilst all of the other countries ahead of the US (except Brazil) are showing that they have gotten the virus under control and are showing very very small death rates, the US is charging up that leader board at a rate of knots.

At current rates they'll overtake the UK in about 2 weeks and they'll top the charts around the end of November.

So yeah.. the current situation is absolutely Trumps fault.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Rabid Biden fans? The projection is unreal.

Dude..you have 297 posts in this thread, which is part 2..

All the projection I can see is happening from the democratic side, to a point where I can't believe they're lacking so self awareness to the point that they're being honest..

This is an Irish board..there are no rabid Trump fans here..there are probably people who are like 'yeah, he's boorish, but he's kind of funny..the media absolutely hate him, and 80 percent of posters here seem to think he's the devil incarnate..'..

The anti trump crowd fail to see how they're fueling him..

So we've established the deaths aren't as high as SOME other countries then. Excellent.

Fixed that for you for truth.

Of two hundred odd countries in the world, the US is only performing better than 10 of them. That's like finishing in the bottom of the Premier League which would not be considered to be doing well.

And that's being kind. The countries with a higher death rate than the US are made up of tiny countries, countries that had much less notice, a country actively not doing anything about it and a few more that are performing poorly themselves.

What's the post count for someone to become a "rabid fan"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Igotadose wrote: »
    Models this am showing over 400k deaths on the US by January. The US response is on Trump

Thats astonishing really. Things there seem to be getting even worse, I remember at the start of July they were projecting 200k deaths by election day November 3rd. But now today its at 191k and we are only about a week away before it hits the 200k barrier. Models at the beginning of August projected 250k deaths by polling day but even that looks optimistic at this stage, it will probably be c.280k dead by polling day. Trump has really messed this up royally yet last night he was mocking Biden for wearing a mask. People are dying and Trump is out of control just like the virus.

What's the post count for someone to become a "rabid fan"?

It's sub 297 anyway..

Anyway..yeah, maybe take a break from the election cycle for a few days..might do you the world of good..

This is an Irish board..there are no rabid Trump fans here..there are probably people who are like 'yeah, he's boorish, but he's kind of funny..the media absolutely hate him, and 80 percent of posters here seem to think he's the devil incarnate..'..

Really? You must have missed the guy who only believes Trump or the many who make posts that would make a North Korean news reader blush with their over the top praise of something Trump did or the guy who psychically divines what Trump meant or the many who completely change what they claim to believe whenever an act by Trump requires it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

All the projection I can see is happening from the democratic side, to a point where I can't believe they're lacking so self awareness to the point that they're being honest..

The anti trump crowd fail to see how they're fueling him..

i'd love to know what threads you have been reading because it caertainly hasn't been this one. that is as poor an analysis as i have seen and i include those done by the diehard trump cultists in that.

It's sub 297 anyway..

Anyway..yeah, maybe take a break from the election cycle for a few days..might do you the world of good..

Can you let me know the post count so we can inform others on this thread to also take a break as you suggest. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Really? You must have missed the guy who only believes Trump or the many who make posts that would make a North Korean news reader blush with their over the top praise of something Trump did or the guy who psychically divines what Trump meant or the many who completely change what they claim to believe whenever an act by Trump requires it.

Yeah, but the inverse of that has been happening since before he got elected..

Like, if someone wrote an article saying he'd eaten their mother, half of ye would be posting it here going 'yeah, but he ate this guy's mother' and believing it so completely that it's just kind of funny to watch really..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I can't say with 100% certainty what his plan is but my best guess would be for him to continue to create more jobs and stimulate an economic recovery once the pandemic is over

What's the GOP plan for the economy in 2021? You know, like, a party platform statement?

Can you let me know the post count so we can inform others on this thread to also take a break as you suggest. Thanks.

haha..

Of two hundred odd countries in the world, the US is only performing better than 10 of them. That's like finishing in the bottom of the Premier League which would not be considered to be doing well.

And that's being kind. The countries with a higher death rate than the US are made up of tiny countries, countries that had much less notice, a country actively not doing anything about it and a few more that are performing poorly themselves.

So not the worst despite the incredible amount of movement and commerce that takes place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, you'd be in favor of the US having the highest death rate? Winning/Greatest Nation in the World/whatever?

Projections are 400k deaths by the end of the year. Where would that put the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

salmocab wrote: »
    So your defence is he’s not doing quite as bad as some other countries, namely the ones doing bad. That must be the stupidest defence I’ve ever read.

Isn't it funny how *ahem* all these accounts no longer add Ireland on that list like they were a few months ago now that the US has over 3x our cases and over 1.5x our deaths, with both of those gaps rising strongly every day.

i'd love to know what threads you have been reading because it caertainly hasn't been this one. that is as poor an analysis as i have seen and i include those done by the diehard trump cultists in that.

I haven't really been reading this thread..

Dude, you'll give yourself a hernia..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

No, she definitely did, I remember that alright.

Eeeehh the Dems calling Corona travel ban racist was a bit on the line, Im happy to take that bit back but they definitely intimated that in their messaging. My point being that the numbers of Corona cases cant be laid fully at Trumps door when many in Government gave conflicting statements and advice regarding it both helpful and hurting Americans attitude towards the virus. Also all those large marches and protests must have drove numbers up.

"Biden has not directly said that the restrictions were xenophobic. Around the time the Trump administration announced the travel restriction, Biden said that Trump had a "record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering." Biden used the phrase "xenophobic" in reply to a Trump tweet about limiting entry to travelers from China and in which he described the coronavirus as the "Chinese virus.""

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, you'd be in favor of the US having the highest death rate? Winning/Greatest Nation in the World/whatever?

Projections are 400k deaths by the end of the year. Where would that put the US?

It's a projection nothing more.

Why would I be in favour of a high death rate? You've lost me there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the inverse of that has been happening since before he got elected..

Like, if someone wrote an article saying he'd eaten their mother, half of ye would be posting it here going 'yeah, but he ate this guy's mother' and believing it so completely that it's just kind of funny to watch really..

But that doesn't reflect the reality of these threads though. Those who dislike Trump have been quick to correct each other while Trump fans thank each other's posts even when they post proven falsehoods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement