Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

You are only on Boards a month, given the time we are in, and that the election is in 2 months, anyone so eager to take part in the discussion in the manner you have done, is either a Trump supporter, or someone who rates Trump more highly than they do Biden.

I don't care what you 'identify' as, you are far from being impartial or on the fence here.

I never said i was impartial or on the fence.

Why does it matter if iv'e just signed up for the site. It's a discussion forum i believe. I'd like to think different points of view are welcomed or is it just a talking shop for one view?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wow just seeing this now. Surely it's time the democrats pulled Joe out of the race before he goes completely off course and hands the election to Trump :eek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8688775/Gaffe-prone-Joe-Biden-struggles-impact-COVID.html

This is bordering on cruelty now. :mad:

"They rammed the ramparts, They took over the airports"

Thrump talking about the civil war.
    Surely it's time the Republicans pulled Trump out of the race before he goes completely off course

• Registered Users Posts: 21,734 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why does it matter if iv'e just signed up for the site. It's a discussion forum i believe. I'd like to think different points of view are welcomed or is it just a talking shop for one view?

So, if you're not impartial or on the fence, are you a Trump or a Biden supporter?

All views are welcome, but it comes across as being disingenuous to appear strongly in favour of a candidate, but not want to be identified as such.

All views are welcome, but it's helpful to know if someone is expressing their view, or just using a tactic of similar to Trump who uses phrases like 'I hear they are saying' or 'many people say' about something he knows is false but doesn't to leave himself open to being accused of perpetuating a lie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

namloc1980 wrote: »
    She went to Chinatown in SF on the 24th February at a time when there were 53 confirmed cases in the US in total. Chinatown is in her election district and she represents the people living there in Congress. She lives very nearby to it. She went on a walkabout there when there was an uncertainly and fear about Covid etc to show support to local businesses. I'm not seeing the issue here.

Not an issue with it per se, the argument is over the actions of the Federal government. When she visited on 24th February, Trump had implemented border restrictions three weeks earlier, so it's not as if they weren't at least somewhat ahead of the game.

A bigger problem wasn't Pelosi or Trump, it was New York City, and the advice dispensed by the now-ex-Commissioner for Public Heath, Orixis Barbot.

In solidarity with the Chinese community, NYC politicians actively encouraged going out to the Lunar New Year celebrations, even as a lot of the Chinese participants pulled out of them. A stand against racism and xenophobia. That's fair, but it still resulted in massed crowds.

A month later, early March, the official position of NYC's medical advisor was still "everyone go about your daily lives", and "This is not transmitted like measles, this is totally different. If someone is ill with COVID-19, exposing others requires prolonged exposure to their secretions, or droplets, from the infected patient". This was the week before Ireland started to shut down. Take the NYC Subway and commuter trains? Sure, it's safe, you're not around the infected long enough.

We can give NYC leadership the benefit of the doubt. Even if the information being put out about COVID was the best known at the time, the problem is we now know it to be wrong. And this is in the biggest city in the US, a hub for domestic travel, and highly condensed, ripe for transmission. Actively encouraging folks to go about their daily, commuting lives, with the now-known-follow-on of a critical concentration of cases in the NYC area which almost overloaded the local health system. (But did not overload total health capacity, the military facilities went all but unused).

By that point, the stable door was open and the horse long bolted. Despite the highly acrimonious relationship between Trump and Cuomo or Newsom, both the latter admitted that they were getting basically everything that they asked for from the Feds. The matters of lockdowns, mandatory face wearing, and so on, are the responsibility of State and local governments.

The main reason the US is failing on the COVID response is the lack of correct action at the state/local level, and also the idiots who think that they can go out and have parties, spring break beach trips, motorcycle rallies, protests, shopping trips, visits to friends and families, and all those other things that we know we're not supposed to do but they're doing it anyway, with or without masks even if state and local policies are correct.

So, if you're not impartial or on the fence, are you a Trump or a Biden supporter?

All views are welcome, but it comes across as being disingenuous to appear strongly in favour of a candidate, but not want to be identified as such.

All views are welcome, but it's helpful to know if someone is expressing their view, or just using a tactic of similar to Trump who uses phrases like 'I hear they are saying' or 'many people say' about something he knows is false but doesn't to leave himself open to being accused of perpetuating a lie.

Neither. I never realised i had to be a "supporter" of either tbh :confused: Is it in the site charter or something.

Iv'e said already they are both equally poor candidates

• Advertisement

"They rammed the ramparts, They took over the airports"

Thrump talking about the civil war.

Imagine saying that. What an idiot.

Neither. I never realised i had to be a "supporter" of either tbh :confused: Is it in the site charter or something.

You absolutely are not required to be a supporter of one or the other but anyone who has participated in the discussion as much as you have done, in the manner of you have done, cannot complain when the view of a large number of readers take it that you are more supportive of one candidate than the other.

The bit in bold is demonstrably not the case, suggesting it is adds further evidence to the argument that you prefer Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The main reason the US is failing on the COVID response is the lack of correct action at the state/local level, and also the idiots who think that they can go out and have parties, spring break beach trips, motorcycle rallies, protests, shopping trips, visits to friends and families, and all those other things that we know we're not supposed to do but they're doing it anyway, with or without masks even if state and local policies are correct.

In the words of Sun Tzu, "A leader leads by example, not by force." #IMPOTUS has actively discouraged mask wearing ("I won't wear one" I think is a direct quote.) He's said horrifying things like "I take no responsibility." When asked by a reporter at one of the first Covid briefings what he'd say to a family that was concerned about the disease, he said, "That's a nasty question."

I don't think the main reason the US is failing is lack of correct action - it's lack of a will to make the necessary sacrifices. Again, "A leader leads by example." Some example we have.

You absolutely are not required to be a supporter of one or the other but anyone who has participated in the discussion as much as you have done, in the manner of you have done, cannot complain when the view of a large number of readers take it that you are more supportive of one candidate than the other.

The bit in bold is demonstrably not the case, suggesting it is adds further evidence to the argument that you prefer Trump.

That's your point of view and i respect it. :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Igotadose wrote: »
    In the words of Sun Tzu, "A leader leads by example, not by force." #IMPOTUS has actively discouraged mask wearing ("I won't wear one" I think is a direct quote.) He's said horrifying things like "I take no responsibility." When asked by a reporter at one of the first Covid briefings what he'd say to a family that was concerned about the disease, he said, "That's a nasty question."

I don't think the main reason the US is failing is lack of correct action - it's lack of a will to make the necessary sacrifices. Again, "A leader leads by example." Some example we have.

Let's not forget that a lot of Republican leaders in the states would have fallen in line with whatever position Trump took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Very Exmachina

Came across this interesting piece on Sky News Australia about the possibility of Biden not making the debates.

Well worth a few minutes of your time posters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61PwdaWr2I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

A moderator asked you to expand on this or stop posting already - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114518378&postcount=6245

So for the fourth time, what is it that you dislike about Trump?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Very Exmachina

Sorry iv'e no idea what that word means.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Id tend to agree. Either stop being cryptic and put a little more into your posts, or stop posting in this thread.

Thanks.
    Your wasting your time with this crew. They are worse than Trump fan boys and girls. The leader can do no wrong
    No idea. Ask a Trump supporter.

Find one quote from me that's expresses support for Trump. You need to be able to understand its possible say both candidates are flawed. That's the problem with guys like you, it's impossible for you to see grey. Everything is black or white. It's actually people like yourself that have society so divided.
    Okie Dokie.

Imagine saying that. What an idiot.
    That's your point of view and i respect it. :)

Thanks
    Sorry iv'e no idea what that word means.

Mod

Stay out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So it turns out he was a Trump supporter, well I for one am shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

salmocab wrote:
    So it turns out he was a Trump supporter, well I for one am shocked.

The irony that he clarified his position as a parting shot.

So Biden screening participants and those looking to ask questions are being given scripts of pre-prepared questions etc Christ!!

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1301607488270336000

Posting debunked fake news again!

How embarrassing for you :pac:

Baggly wrote: »
    The irony that he clarified his position as a parting shot.

I'm actually sorry that that post was deleted. It bookended their time here perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Biden is throwing some shade on Barr - "He's a lousy enough attorney general, but he's a really bad intelligence officer":

BTW I would love to see Trump try to use the word "obsequious" in a sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd argue the main reason is people not being willing to admit they made mistakes, or acted or are still acting on incorrect information, it's like waiting it out until eventually they can say "look I was right", many months and deaths later. Trump and hydroxychloroquine is almost a sum up of everything that is wrong.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Biden is throwing some shade on Barr - "He's a lousy enough attorney general, but he's a really bad intelligence officer":

BTW I would love to see Trump try to use the word "obsequious" in a sentence.

He struggled with the word "origins" so I think "obsequious" would be way out of his league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Wow..........did someone just get thread-banned for refusing to bow to pressure to state he is a Trump supporter????

You can be of the opinion someone is the lesser of 2 evils without being a "supporter" of one.

As a United fan, i would rather see City have won the league over Liverpool......doesn't mean I support City.

I guess mob rule does rule.

Will i get banned now?

Wow..........did someone just get thread-banned for refusing to bow to pressure to state he is a Trump supporter????

You can be of the opinion someone is the lesser of 2 evils without being a "supporter" of one.

As a United fan, i would rather see City have won the league over Liverpool......doesn't mean I support City.

Will i get banned now?

No.

No.

Why then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Will i get banned now?

Staying on chapter and verse with the victimisation. Thoughts and prayers

Will i get banned now?

If you go in to a match day thread on the day City are playing Liverpool and do nothing but talk about how bad Liverpool are, then absolutely yes, you are in all intents and purposes a City supporter.

I mean, it wouldn't be that hard, as a Utd supporter to say something bad about City, but, if you never do so despite posting very frequently, you can expect to be identified as a City supporter.

Why then?

Read back to the mod notes, you're here long enough to know whats acceptable and what isn't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Will i get banned now?

Not if you debate in good faith I'd imagine.

Debating by saying "I'm not a Trump Supporter.. but"

And then proceeding to post endlessly about how bad Biden is without ever being willing to either admit to supporting Trump or to provide any objective insight isn't good faith debating.

There are several other people that post here in vociferous support of Trump . Lots of people disagree with them , but they post in good faith.

That particular style of posting is not far removed from a similar style of posting couched as

"I'm not a racist but...." or "I've nothing against Travelers, but....."

And then proceeding to launch into endless screeds about foreign nationals or travelers.

Own your opinions , don't hide behind silly veils.

• Advertisement

If you go in to a match day thread on the day City are playing Liverpool and do nothing but talk about how bad Liverpool are, then absolutely yes, you are in all intents and purposes a City supporter.

I mean, it wouldn't be that hard, as a Utd supporter to say something bad about City, but, if you never do so despite posting very frequently, you can expect to be identified as a City supporter.

So only Biden or Trump supporters can post in this thread? Outside opinions don't count and automatically file you into one side of the 2 way horse race.

Gotta!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement