Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/ACLEDINFO/status/1301897036799901696?s=19

Another example of when the evidence goes against the Republican narrative. More fake news I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I wouldn't vote for Trump ever.

Welcome to my club on biden, trump has flaws but id never support a democrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

But the question was loaded, surely it would have to be what could Biden do before you’d stop supporting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭uptherebels

And that's the problem with "conservatives" they will take everyone down with them rather than fox the hole in the boat.

The simplest explanation of anything in an election year especially scandals about a sitting president is that ‘a staffer said they said’ are usually false.

Thing is though, very few stories about him have been revealed to be false. It's just his key fan base tend to lap up his racism etc and that generally takes precedence. It takes ridiculous levels of cognitive dissonance to claim he's a good president tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

"Energy and drama" jesus man get a grip, it's not a reality tv show.

It takes a lot of energy to implement an America first policy and in doing so he has created some drama with China in relation to the trade war.

I don't think Biden has the same kind of energy as Trump and the willingness to stand up to countrys that have taken advantage of America for many years.

salmocab wrote: »
    But the question was loaded, surely it would have to be what could Biden do before you’d stop supporting him.

In a two horse race i suspect everyone on both sides in this thread would hold on to their candidate short of them murdering your own mother infront of you, its a polar opposite viewpoint, trump offers nothing for the kind of people here who’d vote biden, biden offers nothing for the kind of people who’d vote trump.

The big difference is everyone knows people are more amenable to biden for a lot of reasons, particularly coming from a european politics frame of mind. But those people sadly when they think about republican / trump voters they don’t see it as supporting lower taxation, more border security, tightening immigration etc.. the sensible elements, they always go straight to the gutter and think its because were closet racists/white supremacists etc...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's blind partisanship. By Irish standards, Biden is fairly right wing. Which of his policies puts you off exactly?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Trump now also wants the Fox reporter who confirmed the story about his calling soldiers he allowed Russia to murder "suckers" and "losers" fired.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-veterans-suckers-jennifer-griffin-1529849
    On Saturday, Trump noted these claims were "all refuted by many witnesses. Jennifer Griffin should be fired for this kind of reporting. Never even called us for comment. @FoxNews is gone!," on his official Twitter account.

I'm sure the "anti cancel culture" and "constitution loving" crowds will be outraged about this, and won't be mixed between just ignoring it and outright supporting Trump in wanting someone 'cancelled' for exercising freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sounds like those people who vote for Fianna Fail election after election no matter what.

• Advertisement

I don't think Biden has the same kind of energy as Trump and the willingness to stand up to countrys that have taken advantage of America for many years.
    By 'stand up to countries' do you mean things like saying of doing nothing and allowing other nations to order the murder of American troops abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In a two horse race i suspect everyone on both sides in this thread would hold on to their candidate short of them murdering your own mother infront of you, its a polar opposite viewpoint, trump offers nothing for the kind of people here who’d vote biden, biden offers nothing for the kind of people who’d vote trump.

The big difference is everyone knows people are more amenable to biden for a lot of reasons, particularly coming from a european politics frame of mind. But those people sadly when they think about republican / trump voters they don’t see it as supporting lower taxation, more border security, tightening immigration etc.. the sensible elements, they always go straight to the gutter and think its because were closet racists/white supremacists etc...

Actually you are wrong, If Biden spoke about dead soldiers the way Trump has then i would call him out for it and reverse my support for him.

Trump fans on the other hand refuse to believe that he would say these things and just double down on their support for him, An absolute horrible person who mocks the dead and we still see Trump zealots giving him 100% support.

Disgusting.

It takes a lot of energy to implement an America first policy and in doing so he has created some drama with China in relation to the trade war.

Trump has overseen the widening of the trade gap with China contrary to his campaign promise. He's really standing up to them isn't he.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/081e6d25-8d67-4caa-918a-2765a66f0052

Brian? wrote: »
    That's blind partisanship. By Irish standards, Biden is fairly right wing. Which of his policies puts you off exactly?

Supporting unions
    Using racial equity instead of Equality meaning more racist programs
    Relaxing immigration and detention laws
    Support for ‘green new deal’
    Promising to tighten gun laws
    Inappropriately rubbing young girls

But in a two horse race you could decide not to back either horse. Supporting someone despite everything they do just because they happen to be more closely alligned with your politics than the other guy is dumb. If you abhor who someone is then you don’t back either.
    This plays out in Ireland where I’d have left tendencies but certainly wouldn’t vote for some of the leftist parties/people. It’s not sport, blindly supporting someone is a ridiculous thing to do.

salmocab wrote: »
    But in a two horse race you could decide not to back either horse. Supporting someone despite everything they do just because they happen to be more closely alligned with your politics than the other guy is dumb. If you abhor who someone is then you don’t back either.
    This plays out in Ireland where I’d have left tendencies but certainly wouldn’t vote for some of the leftist parties/people. It’s not sport, blindly supporting someone is a ridiculous thing to do.

Ireland isnt the US though, not turning up to vote is actually worse, disenfranchised voters allow extremists to flourish , its how the likes of AOC won her district, radicalised motivated supporters and absolute apathy from moderates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Question for Trump supporters......say this WAS true, and you found some "acceptable" proof of the comments that proved them beyond all doubt;

Would Trump saying these things be enough to turn you against him?

Hahaha!

We know exactly what will happen. They will excuse and justify it.

Supporting unions
    Using racial equity instead of quality meaning more racist programs
    Relaxing immigration and detention laws
    Support for ‘green new deal’
    Promising to tighten gun laws
    Inappropriately rubbing young girls

Racial equity programmes are heavily influenced by the fact that many of those people are raised in areas that have lower quality educational service so one could be entirely capable of doing a college course for example but their background disadvantaged them.

Immigration and Detention laws, ah you want more kids separated from their parents, never to see them again.

Green new deal, climate change is real and needs to be tackled in spite of the GOPs best efforts to deny it.

Spree shootings in the US are generally perpetrated with legally opened weapons, armed militias have become a thing that have been egged on under Trump. Yep increased regulations are needed.

Your last point amounts to conspiracies tbh. And you weirdly seem unconcerned about the numerous allegations against Trump.
    Ireland isnt the US though, not turning up to vote is actually worse, disenfranchised voters allow extremists to flourish , its how the likes of AOC won her district, radicalised motivated supporters and absolute apathy from moderates.

AOC is not an extremist and will be reelected. :D

You really have swallowed the right wing propaganda. AOC is an extremist?? That's some delusion right there. Can you show us her extremist policies?

5th September 2020 , the day id never thought id see, where the boards left will use fox news as a credible source because it suits their agenda.

You seem very convinced that Trump wouldn't do something in private that he has done in public multiple times.

• Advertisement

Turning up to vote regardless is what gets extremists to flourish. If you vote for someone regardless of what they do then your encouraging them to do as they please.

what has NATO said that trump has contradicted?

he's asking for proof of a government level assassination of a massive putin opponent.

i don't see the problem with that at all, showing some restraint. can you imagine the potential fallout if those allegations are true/or false?

better to err on the side of caution.

Before I bother, do you believe that the GRU poisoned the Skripals?

I just want to figure out a baseline for what I might be dealing with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Look there's nothing Trump could do those so invested in him at this stage that's would make them question their devotion to him. Some of the posting history of those genuine posters supporting him here and not reregs/trolls, show you that their views on pretty much everything is out of step with the bulk of the population of Ireland. In Trump and the messed up situation that is US society, they have found an outlet for their unappreciated views where they can feel they are not so odd after all. They can indulge in conspiracy theories, belief over facts, racial & economic superiority and cruelty. In their minds their mashed out messages on discussion platforms/social media, allow them to vent their frustrations that life is evolving around them not in the way they like. They connect with like minded souls and are comforted in the knowledge that there are some more individuals like them out there. They are not going to give that up. Trump brought them together so they'll stay to the bitter end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You're pulling all that out of your hole.

58% of the votes in the primary. 78% in the general. Outspent 18:1 by the incumbent in the primary.

Apathy and disenfranchisement? Not if she's winning after being that badly outspent on a Congressional race by a 10 term incumbent. Remarkable politician and I love how she gets under the thin tGOP skin. I predict Senator AOC in our lifetimes, maybe replacing Schumer.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You really have swallowed the right wing propaganda. AOC is an extremist?? That's some delusion right there. Can you show us her extremist policies?
    I wonder if they'll cite the Amazon issue as an example, where she managed to stop them being given billions of money in tax breaks and financial incentives from NYC for setting up there (something Amazon of all companies does not need).

The reason I'm curious is because Amazon since reversed that decision and are indeed opening their offices in NYC anyway, without said incentives. There was a lot of noise about their initial cancellation, particularly among the right, in media and social media circles, but not so much since.

In short, the update to the Amazon/NYC deal is that Cortes saved the city billions of dollars, which you would think Republicans who bemoan wasteful government spending would be supportive of. But ad Eric has flat out stated earlier in this thread, what is more important to him (and many of them) is simply the letter beside the persons name.

I don't know if "Sure, I said most of the things but not the worst one" is the best approach here. It shows massive contempt for all those loyal defenders who put their credibility on the line insisting that Dear Leader would never do such a thing despite him doing it on video.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1302083885384249344

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

biko wrote: »

It looks like he can barely walk. He's probably crippled with arthritis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Vietnam War was a disgraceful period in American history. Millions of Vietnamese and Cambodians killed in bombings and massacres by US troops.

The Trump drama shouldn't deflect from the fact that America behaved shamefully throughout that unnecessary war.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement