Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

tigger123 wrote: »
    Plus, not much of a bounce for Trump after the RNC. It's not looking great for him at all.

His base 43 per cent will vote for him, that looks to be it tho

And they still have yet to announce their August fundraising numbers.

Now, I don't think for a second that they didn't raise massive amounts of money, but it is telling that they still haven't said what that actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They have to find a way to flip some current Biden supporters.

The constant cry that the US is on fire and will only get worse under Biden is that strategy, try to scare people enough that even though things are demonstrably crap, hey they could conceivably be worse under Biden

Theres a great US politics podcast called 'Five Thirty Eight Poilitics'. They do about on polling and it's a great listen.

Essentially, those voting for Trump are voting for Trump, and those voting for Biden are voting for anyone but Trump.

There's not much room for Trump to be poaching voters in there. He's toast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On that, Harris has walked back on Biden's statements for a national face mask mandate, now saying it's just going to be a standard. Apparently she has observed (Correctly, and unsurprisingly given she's a lawyer) that the Feds have no set authority to make such a mandate.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kamala-harris-walks-back-bidens-call-for-a-nationwide-mandate-to-wear-a-mask/ar-BB18Lqj2

Theres a great US politics podcast called 'Five Thirty Eight Poilitics'. They do about on polling and it's a great listen.

Essentially, those voting for Trump are voting for Trump, and those voting for Biden are voting for anyone but Trump.

There's not much room for Trump to be poaching voters in there. He's toast.

Yep, Silver was pretty confused on why everyone thought last will was a good week for Trump as he didn't get any actual bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Plus, not much of a bounce for Trump after the RNC. It's not looking great for him at all.

His base 43 per cent will vote for him, that looks to be it tho

Looks like journalists will have to find a real job soon.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

Looks like journalists will have to find a real job soon.

Not really sure how that video is related to what I posted.

The Five Thirty Eight were one of the few pollsters that predicted a Trump victory last time round. They're worth listening too, and they have Biden ahead by a sizable margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Brian? wrote: »
    You keep saying "the left" hates Trump, I actually think we have better things to do, most left wing people probably dislike his policies and rhetoric.

Given that he's struggled to break 50% approval rating and the left is tiny in the US, I'd say there are a lot of centrist and right wing people who dislike him as well.
    Yeah you on the left are probably busy supporting the Antifa/BLM domestic terrorists destroying the Democratic run cities. Yeah that's going to play well with the silent majority. Trump will win by a bigger margin then 2016. The only way he loses is via a rigged mail in vote
    This tweet sums up what could happen
    https://twitter.com/mikandynothem/status/1302606987172093954?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah you on the left are probably busy supporting the Antifa/BLM domestic terrorists destroying the Democratic run cities. Yeah that's going to play well with the silent majority. Trump will win by a bigger margin then 2016. The only way he loses is via a rigged mail in vote

As I said to that Outlaw Pete person earlier, I'm really glad that I don't live in your apparent world of conspiracy theories and delusion.

There's no proof of electoral fraud being an issue, the scale of the US election just makes it virtually impossible to commit it via the postal vote. But good to see you're diving into the conspiracies already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There's no proof of electoral fraud being an issue, the scale of the US election just makes it virtually impossible to commit it via the postal vote. But good to see you're diving into the conspiracies already.

Its called getting the excuses in early.

• Advertisement

Its called getting the excuses in early.

I'm expecting Trump to do the exact same if the election doesn't go his way. People seem to have forgotten my what a small margin Trump actually won by.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's us lefties for you, flat out being terrorists and rigging American elections. It's exhausting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'm expecting Trump to do the exact same if the election doesn't go his way. People seem to have forgotten my what a small margin Trump actually won by.

Trump definitely ended up in a perfect storm in 2016 but it by no means indicates that he can't win again. With the electoral college system, it's very much a 50/50 call at this stage.

I'd like to add on a personal point of view that I don't think Biden is a great candidate by any means. But by Jesus, if I was American I'd see voting for him in this election as one of the most important things that I'd do in my life. Trump must be defeated in this election. It's absolutely vital for democracy in the US.

I find it interesting to see these conspiracy theorists popping up and with this "the left is out to get Trump and destroy the world". Personally, I am not left wing or right wing. I believe in a bit of common decency and stability in the world, and anyone that thinks Donald Trump is the man to fix the world's wrongs needs to have a long hard look at themselves. I just can't imagine how someone could look at a man like that and think "yep, that's exactly the type of guy that the young of today should be looking up to". It totally boggles my mind. The man is a repugnant individual in every conceivable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

They have to find a way to flip some current Biden supporters.

The constant cry that the US is on fire and will only get worse under Biden is that strategy, try to scare people enough that even though things are demonstrably crap, hey they could conceivably be worse under Biden

That's not their strategy, though. Their strategy involves the US Postal Service, four years of gutting funding for any electoral protections, the disappearance of people from voter rolls like in Georgia, an attorney general willing to lienthrougj his teeth about anything and everything, and a whooooole lot of f*ckery we will see between now and Nov 3rd as well as after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Personally, I am not left wing or right wing. I believe in a bit of common decency and stability in the world, and anyone that thinks Donald Trump is the man to fix the world's wrongs needs to have a long hard look at themselves. I just can't imagine how someone could look at a man like that and think "yep, that's exactly the type of guy that the young of today should be looking up to". It totally boggles my mind. The man is a repugnant individual in every conceivable way.

Disliking Trump isn't exclusive to any political wing. Remember what the Republicans were saying about Trump before he started to look like he was about to win the primary? Trump can be attacked legitimately from either the left or the right.

But then, he can be attacked for a whole range of things that aren't really associated with or exclusive to left/right politics. The constant lying about stuff, to take just one example, is an act that traditionally wasn't a left/right thing, it was a cúnt thing.

This idea that you could only dislike Trump if you were a leftist or that disliking Trump makes you a leftist is deluded and yet it's posted here every day as if it weren't nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Disliking Trump isn't exclusive to any political wing. Remember what the Republicans were saying about Trump before he started to look like he was about to win the primary? Trump can be attacked legitimately from either the left or the right.

But then, he can be attacked for a whole range of things that aren't really associated with or exclusive to left/right politics. The constant lying about stuff, to take just one example, is an act that traditionally wasn't a left/right thing, it was a cúnt thing.

This idea that you could only dislike Trump if you were a leftist or that disliking Trump makes you a leftist is deluded and yet it's posted here every day as if it weren't nonsense.

Excellent points. How many Republicans *today* are still anti-Trump? rvat.org is just tip of the iceberg. Jeff Flake is still out there. Evan McMullin. Colin Powell. Even Mitt Romney. Not *one* of these long-established politicians are 'leftist.' Far from it!

Could not agree with you more. What's been forgotten in the last 4 years of lies, insults and utter nonsense is the fact that having a POTUS needs to at least have some personal dignity, outside of their actual ability to do the job.

The fact that Trump has neither personal dignity nor the ability to do the job has just totally degraded the office.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Excellent points. How many Republicans *today* are still anti-Trump? rvat.org is just tip of the iceberg. Jeff Flake is still out there. Evan McMullin. Colin Powell. Even Mitt Romney. Not *one* of these long-established politicians are 'leftist.' Far from it!

IF Trump ends up losing the election, expect the band of Republicans denouncing him to be multiplied by 100 overnight. The likes of Lindsey Graham should be utterly ashamed.

Igotadose wrote: »

I'm sure that plenty of others still revile him privately. I doubt Graham has had a real change of heart about Trump. He just made the calculation that he is better off backing him for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just plain odd that he feels like he needs to defend this.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1302996272249548807?s=19

• Advertisement

That's not their strategy, though. Their strategy involves the US Postal Service, four years of gutting funding for any electoral protections, the disappearance of people from voter rolls like in Georgia, an attorney general willing to lienthrougj his teeth about anything and everything, and a whooooole lot of f*ckery we will see between now and Nov 3rd as well as after it.

If Trump does end up losing the election (and that's a massive "if" at this stage) the transition period between November and January could be an absolute sh*t show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Hoop66

would you rather he condemn Russia with no proof?

if so, TDS has gotten out of hand.

This is a man who regularly accuses others of crimes without evidence and regularly amplifies absurd conspiracy theories.

But now all of a sudden he has to be careful and diplomatic and not rush to blame?

TDS is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are Americans always so abusive towards their president?

I would be too young to remember pre Obama but can't remember him being lampooned as much

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I would be too young to remember pre Obama but can't remember him being lampooned as much

I am not sure, but satire has always been around.

Spitting Image in the 1980's for example.

The real difference with trump is that he is so abusive towards both past Presidents and citizens.

How is that abusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The real difference with trump is that he is so abusive towards both past Presidents and citizens.

Thats true, Spitting Image was there alright

No US President has ever behaved the way Trump has, so it's probably only natural that he's the butt of so many jokes and so much ridicule.

Lampooning Presidents goes back a long way. It's part of the proud American tradition of exercising one's first Amendment rights.

Trump might be the first to whine about it publicly though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Also , just like anywhere else , if you are getting a rise out of the target of your slagging you tend to keep going.

Trump is incredibly thin skinned and reacts badly and without even a hint of humor about it.

Contrast Trumps reactions to stuff to Obamas reaction to the birther stuff where he played a video clip of the Lion king as a joke response.

Even years earlier when Gerald Ford, who got lampooned mercilessly after falling on the stairs to Air Force One did a bit at the White House Press dinner with Chevy Chase making fun of himself.

This article lists a number of times in the past where various Presidents have been the butt of jokes on TV shows and how they all reacted in largely the same way - With good grace and humour , unlike Trump who demands people be fired etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement