Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ELM327 wrote: »
    This election has now become a battle between a Nobel Peace Prize nominee, and a nearly 80 year old loon whose best argument is "hey I'm not the other guy"

Surely you’re not this naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That's way too much effort to back up a statement that I would assume would be universally accepted by everyone or do you disagree with the statement that:

Stopping flights from China resulted in less cases being imported from China.

I would have thought that, that is fairly simple logic to follow?

And yet the results of the virus in the US would seem to go against that logic?

So either, the partial closure of flights from China didn't make as much of a difference as you think it did, or it did and his failure to take additional options lead to a massive surge from elsewhere.

Either way, this continued use of 'Trump partially stopped flights from China' did not achieve what you seem to think it did.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Plugging one hole is better than none at all, it was an effort made to stop more cases coming in from China which was the epicentre of the pandemic.

By the time he implemented his partial ineffective flight ban from China , the Epicentre was Europe (Italy specifically) and genetically the strain seen in the US is almost exclusively the European strain.

He didn't implement contact tracing for all the people that he let travel from China (over 30,000) after the "ban". He didn't do anything.

He stopped certain flights from certain part of China and then did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING else for weeks - When he already knew had bad is was and already knew that he should be pulling the trigger on lock downs, testing and contact tracing.

The US had the opportunity of a major head-start on Asia and Europe in terms of controlling the virus.

He pi$$ed that opportunity away by lying through he teeth about how serious things were.

When he eventually had no choice but to start taking it seriously he saw the impact to the economy and his ONLY thought was how it impacted he re-election chances so he again started lying about the state of the virus and pushing to re-open everywhere.

Not because it was safe to reopen , but because he was concerned about the Election - Not peoples safety , not peoples health - HIM , his election and his personal finances and success.

Trump cares about absolutely nothing and no-one but himself.

Every single thing he has ever done or said in his entire life proves that beyond and doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Plugging one hole is better than none at all, it was an effort made to stop more cases coming in from China which was the epicentre of the pandemic.
    You'll actually find that plugging one hole in that scenario won't make a blind bit of difference if you don't do anything about the other 39 holes and encourage others to try and prevent people from trying to get the water out of the house or from spreading into every room, while saying you're doing a great job of stopping the flood despite the fact the entire place is absolutely soaked in it with the waters continuing to rise and rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You don't think Trump should have told the American people himself? Or anyone within the WH?

But this journalist, he is the one to blame?

Everyone but Trump is to blame, it's always been his go to excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,886 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"The fact is I'm a cheerleader for this country. I love our country," Trump continued. "I don't want people to be frightened. I don't want to create panic, as you say, and certainly I'm not going to drive this country or the world into a frenzy."

24 hours later
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1304060630656311296?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Overheal wrote: »
    Surely you’re not this naive.
    Surely you're not capable of this much feigned condescension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Very true Mr President.
    Also Trump closed flights from China back in January and was called racist by Democrats media etc, sure don't we all remember Nancy and the mayor and Governor of New York inviting people down to Chinatown to celebrate Chinese New Year without masks. Woodward should be held accountable for not releasing the info if he thought there was any issue with what Trump said

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1304042651147284480?s=19

I genuinely can’t believe that’s a real tweet from the president of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Very true Mr President.
    Also Trump closed flights from China back in January and was called racist by Democrats media etc, sure don't we all remember Nancy and the mayor and Governor of New York inviting people down to Chinatown to celebrate Chinese New Year without masks. Woodward should be held accountable for not releasing the info if he thought there was any issue with what Trump said

Which media and Democrats called him "racist"? Nancy Pelosi visited Chinatown in San Francisco (her home electoral district) on the 24th February when there were 53 total confirmed cases in the USA. There was no consensus at all on masks at that time so you're just throwing in a complete red herring there.

BTW love the way you suggest the journalist should be held accountable but silence on the actual President of the United States saying these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Very true Mr President.

I see, so now it's the fault of Woodward that tens of thousands of extra Americans are dead? An interesting, if not unsurprising attempt to do what Trump followers do best - deflect blame.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People need to ignore the trolls.

They’re so obvious as well with the fake worshipping when the same people in other threads aren’t as friendly. It’s a pure wind up and needs to be ignored and they’ll go away to find another issue (probably around black people, immigrants or women) to bitch and moan about.

I genuinely can’t believe that’s a real tweet from the president of the USA.

Sounds exactly like his previous bouts of diarrhea and again the usual people swallowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

The condescension doesn't need to be feigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think it's time for you to turn off Fox News and educate yourself about what's actually happening in the world. I would say that Trump's criminal inaction over the virus MIGHT just be slightly more important than being nominated for a Nobel Prize by some crackpot right-wing foreign politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

duploelabs wrote: »
    Closing the airports when the virus is already in the country did the sum of f*ck all except dogwhistle to his base
    So what about all the other countries that stopped travel? Was that dogwhistling to their party followers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So what about all the other countries that stopped travel? Was that dogwhistling to their party followers

did they ban people of only one nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Trump knew from early February how serious sh!t was with this virus, I can't recall dates of flight banning, iirc by the time he banned the flights from China and virus was already in Europe, so banning flights was like playing a game of whack a mole. He then bans flights from mainland Europe, when all people needed to do was skip over to the UK/Ireland and fly to the US. He then bans flights from UK/Ireland.

And all the while he is playing the seriousness of things down.. people may think the panic trump is talking about is the population, it wasnt, it was the stock markets his only true love. Someone posted a link about aljazeera article and the timeline, I'd love to see that timeline and the stock market crashing side by side.

Trump also bragged to Woodward about distracting Congress from investigating the killing of Kashoggi and MBS - Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-bragged-to-woodward-about-getting-congress-to-leave-mohammad-bin-salman-alone-following-murder-of-jamal-khashoggi-i-saved-his-a/

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Overheal wrote: »
    Trump also bragged to Woodward about distracting Congress from investigating the killing of Kashoggi and MBS - Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-bragged-to-woodward-about-getting-congress-to-leave-mohammad-bin-salman-alone-following-murder-of-jamal-khashoggi-i-saved-his-a/

Wow. Am I surprised. No. But still. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Advertisement

You know they're right, that is delicious. It's savory any time Republicans turn on Graham. They do it pretty regularly though, so it remains up in the air if he will be kicked out of office. They may hate Graham but they don't want Jaime Harrison; Graham will rubberstamp any judge or justice they shove through.

Harmless slip of the tongue :rolleyes:, just Trump saying the election already happened a week ago - or is it September 3, 2021 he's alluding to?

https://www.mediaite.com/donald-trump/watch-trump-mistakenly-refers-to-the-election-as-happening-on-september-3rd-nope-its-still-in-november/

"For the last four years, they’ve tried everything to stop us. And they are only getting more desperate by the day. Can you imagine if on September 3rd they say, “Ladies and gentlemen, Donald Trump has been declared the winner”?

"At first they’ll go crazy. And then they’ll go, “it’s time now to be reasonable.” They will have had it, they will have had it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Here's a direct YouTube link if you don't want to give Mediaite a click:

Enjoyable speech other than the gaff! (33:28)

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mediaite/

Funded by / Ownership

Mediaite is owned by Abrams Media and generates revenue primarily through advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In review, Mediaite reports news with a left-leaning bias through both story selection and wording such as this, Trump Fumes After Watching MSNBC, Takes Aim at Parent Company: ‘Such Lies’ and Trump’s Bizarre Statement About the Moon and Mars Rockets Across Twitter. This latter story is sourced to just tweets. Sourcing, in general, seems to frequently come from social media and Youtube videos. Story selection almost always favors the left and utilizes sensational headlines that do not match the story. In general, this is a strongly left-leaning source that selects stories that favor the left and does not always source properly.

Overall, we rate Mediaite Left Biased based on story selection that almost always favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading sensational headlines and use of poor sources. (8/21/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 6/8/2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Why have you included a link for a bias check on Mediaite? Overheal's post referenced direct quotes from Trump; are you denying those quotes are legitimate?

Incidentally, I'm a bit surprised that you provide a direct video link so people don't have to "give Mediaite a click". The video link is to PBS; Republicans in general are not big fans of PBS, and Trump has indicated that he wants to eliminate their funding.

Some new polling information; Biden Leads Trump by Double Digits With Senior Voters Over 65—A Group No Democrat Has Won in Two Decades

If that proved remotely true, it would be devastating for Trump's chances. Though downplaying a pandemic and saying it "only" affects older/more vulnerable people, and threatening both Social Security and Medicare funding, probably isn't the best way to hold onto the senior vote. I'm not sure that his constant harping on about Biden's state of mind/dementia will help all that much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,577 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If that proved remotely true, it would be devastating for Trump's chances. Though downplaying a pandemic and saying it "only" affects older/more vulnerable people, and threatening both Social Security and Medicare funding, probably isn't the best way to hold onto the senior vote. I'm not sure that his constant harping on about Biden's state of mind/dementia will help all that much either.

I still feel it ll be extremely close, never underestimate the donald, his voters, and most importantly, the deep pockets of the republicans

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I still feel it ll be extremely close, never underestimate the donald, his voters, and most importantly, the deep pockets of the republicans
    Possible yeah, but there were also reports recently that Trump has blown through the vast majority of cash raised; How Trump's Billion Dollar Campaign Lost Its Cash Advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 29,577 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Possible yeah, but there were also reports recently that Trump has blown through the vast majority of cash raised;

Ah money's no object in that game, they ll find it, like they 'find' money for all wars, this is gonna be one hell of a nasty one, probably the nastiest yet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I actually think getting an objective piece of journalism on Trump is an impossibility. The level of hyperbole that surrounds the man is astounding.

• Advertisement

Particularly if you believe that any piece that casts Trump in a negative light can't, by definition, be objective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement