Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That's not what i said or implied but you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Well, what I took you to mean is that Trump polarises to such an incredible degree that it's impossible for journalists to be objective. That they will either be biased in favor or against Trump.

I don't agree with that, as I believe many of the stories that Trump decries as "fake news" are indeed objective. They just happen to portray him horribly (NYT investigation into his family's tax scams, investigations into his charities and university, the recently uncovered quotes to Woodward, the election finance story I just linked, etc).

Here's a direct YouTube link if you don't want to give Mediaite a click:

Enjoyable speech other than the gaff! (33:28)

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mediaite/

Funded by / Ownership

Mediaite is owned by Abrams Media and generates revenue primarily through advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In review, Mediaite reports news with a left-leaning bias through both story selection and wording such as this, Trump Fumes After Watching MSNBC, Takes Aim at Parent Company: ‘Such Lies’ and Trump’s Bizarre Statement About the Moon and Mars Rockets Across Twitter. This latter story is sourced to just tweets. Sourcing, in general, seems to frequently come from social media and Youtube videos. Story selection almost always favors the left and utilizes sensational headlines that do not match the story. In general, this is a strongly left-leaning source that selects stories that favor the left and does not always source properly.

Overall, we rate Mediaite Left Biased based on story selection that almost always favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading sensational headlines and use of poor sources. (8/21/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 6/8/2019)

I'm guessing you included the bias check because your Christian Right site got criticised the other day. The difference is, they were going to an insane degree of speculation. The article that overheal just posted is a direct quote so a fact check is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well, what I took you to mean is that Trump polarises to such an incredible degree that it's impossible for journalists to be objective. That they will either be biased in favor or against Trump.

I don't agree with that, as I believe many of the stories that Trump decries as "fake news" are indeed objective. They just happen to portray him horribly (NYT investigation into his family's tax scams, investigations into his charities and university, the recently uncovered quotes to Woodward, the election finance story I just linked, etc).
    If Trump had a success do you honestly think it would be reported honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That peace deal between UAE and Israel was reported as a peace deal between UAE and Israel.

The likes of Lou Dobbs presented it in fawning terms as though it were the greatest deal ever but you can't expect sensible media to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes, he gots lots of Kudos for the NK PR for example.

It is only afterwards that many realised that it was all just PR, that nothing was achieved and in fact it was a disaster for the US and a PR success for NK.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Possible yeah, but there were also reports recently that Trump has blown through the vast majority of cash raised; How Trump's Billion Dollar Campaign Lost Its Cash Advantage

They are definitely under pressure financially.

The Biden campaign raised $360M+ last month compared to ~$200M by the GOP.

The Previous month the Republicans only had about a $100M cash on hand advantage , that's gone now.

They are cutting back on advertising across multiple states in an effort to save cash to target the last few weeks of the campaign.

That might still be enough but there's no question that they are no longer cash rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

ELM327 wrote: »
    Surely you're not capable of this much feigned condescension.
    I actually think getting an objective piece of journalism on Trump is an impossibility. The level of hyperbole that surrounds the man is astounding.

But hyperbole is something Trump engages in at every turn- are you saying it is only the responsibility of the media not to indulge in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,601 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Paul Krugman eviscerates Trump in today's editorial: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/opinion/donald-trump-coronavirus.html

Quotes:

"He wasn't oblivious to the danger. He just didn't care."

"Let's be clear: A private citizen who did what we now know Trump did would definitely be in big legal trouble. For example, think of the lawsuits likely brought against a corporate C.E.O. who knew that his company's workplace was dangerous, but lied about it, refused to take any precautions and threatened workers with dismissal if they failed to come in."

(about preventing a 'panic')

"...telling the truth about the coronavirus wouldn't have been like shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater. The only things the truth might have scared people into doing would have been staying home where possible, avoiding crowds, washing their hands and so on. And these were all things people should have been doing -- in fact, once people started "panicking" in places like New York, infection rates came way down.

Of course, we all have a pretty good idea what Trump was actually talking about: All though this crisis credible sources have reported that he wanted to downplay the crisis out of fear that bad news might hurt his beloved stock market. That is, he felt that he needed to sacrifice thousands of American lives to prop up the Dow.

As it happens, he was wrong: Stocks have stayed high despite an ever-rising death toll. But the fact that he was wrong about the trade-off doesn't alter the fact that his willingness to make that trade-off was utterly immoral."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Either way it goes the US will be getting a pensioner perv for prez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yeah how many times have the media said 'well Trump seemed very presidential there'

The media want Trump to succeed, he is their meal ticket, the problem its a crisis after crisis in the White House.

If any previous President was found to be using tax-payer money for a lawsuit against him that would be headline news for six months and the opposition would be calling for his removal, Donald Trump its news for a few hours then something bigger breaks.

Think about the fact that every single head of Trumps campaign team in 2016 will end up in prison yet its barely acknowledged. Can you imagine if that was Obama or Hilary...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, it would probably be attributed to either (a) someone who is not Trump but part of the administration to avoid praising Trump or (b) to the prior Democrat administration

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yeah how many times have the media said 'well Trump seemed very presidential there'

The media want Trump to succeed, he is their meal ticket, the problem its a crisis after crisis in the White House.

If any previous President was found to be using tax-payer money for a lawsuit against him that would be headline news for six months and the opposition would be calling for his removal, Donald Trump its news for a few hours then something bigger breaks.

Think about the fact that every single head of Trumps campaign team in 2016 will end up in prison yet its barely acknowledged. Can you imagine if that was Obama or Hilary...

This is the most funny thing I've read to date.
    I'm not sure if it's detachment from reality or wilful delusion/ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

ELM327 wrote: »
    No, it would probably be attributed to either (a) someone who is not Trump but part of the administration to avoid praising Trump or (b) to the prior Democrat administration

Sure I suppose if Trump can blame every single thing on Clinton or Obama, it makes sense for praise to go the other way as well. All's fair in love and politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I still feel it ll be extremely close, never underestimate the donald, his voters, and most importantly, the deep pockets of the republicans

yeah it will be closer than the polls suggest but its interesting at this point that Biden is out fundraising Trump. I can only imagine the shakedowns the Trump campaign is putting several billionaires through right now to level up the playing field. Eric and Don Jnr will be reminding them about those tax breaks for the billionaire class and telling them its time to pay up.

Also on the Dems side Mike Bloomberg has been donating but he is not yet at the scorched earth level he is capable of. Its said he is prepared to donate up to a billion if he feels it is needed in a tight race.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So he knows how bad the pandemic is but still encourages this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1304362313743560704?s=19

Over 1000 deaths yesterday's due to Covid, Trump watches eight hours of T.V. That's real leadership right there :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1304209289456672768?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 29,577 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, hes a narcissist, he has no care for other humans

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1304362313743560704?s=19

Also important to note that today is 9/11 and that was his 1st tweet of the day , sent an hour or so before he sent his "memorial" tweets.

So - That tweet was the one he wrote himself , that he felt was the most important thought of the day.

The memorial tweets were Press Office specials sent later.

He personally didn't think about it.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Also important to note that today is 9/11 and that was his 1st tweet of the day , sent an hour or so before he sent his "memorial" tweets.

So - That tweet was the one he wrote himself , that he felt was the most important thought of the day.

The memorial tweets were Press Office specials sent later.

He personally didn't think about it.

Perhaps he considers the emergency services personal and office workers who died in the twin towers losers like those in the military,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah it will be closer than the polls suggest but its interesting at this point that Biden is out fundraising Trump. I can only imagine the shakedowns the Trump campaign is putting several billionaires through right now to level up the playing field. Eric and Don Jnr will be reminding them about those tax breaks for the billionaire class and telling them its time to pay up.

Also on the Dems side Mike Bloomberg has been donating but he is not yet at the scorched earth level he is capable of. Its said he is prepared to donate up to a billion if he feels it is needed in a tight race.

Biden is doing exceptionally well fro. Silicon valley tech company and entrepreneur support and fro. Wall Street, Biden was known as the Senator for MBNA in the 90s. His partnership on a bill excluding credit card debt from bankruptcy deals was one of the most aggressive favouritisms for finance in the 90s.

They'll keep the funds coming in.

Biden showing yet again why he is miles ahead of Trump when it comes to class

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1304374634981322754?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-54112954

BBC Newsnight decides to promote a story that 'puts it out there' that Trump's marriage to Melania is a 'transactional' one.

Cool timing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Over 1000 deaths yesterday's due to Covid, Trump watches eight hours of T.V. That's real leadership right there :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1304209289456672768?s=09

1000 deaths out of a population of 330 million.

Will Biden lead from the front or from his cellar ? I think Americans might like to know the answer to that.

AllForIt wrote: »

BBC Newsnight decides to promote a story that 'puts it out there' that Trump's marriage to Melania is a 'transactional' one.

Cool timing.

Do they look like a happily married couple to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

AllForIt wrote: »

Cool timing.

Yeah we had her assistant's book last week. This week we have Peter Strzok's one. They might be trying to get the bucks before the election. Less sales if he loses.

statesaver wrote: »

1000 yesterday, 1000, the day before, 200,000 since the pandemic started, are these acceptable numbers to you? Are any of them your mother/father/brother/sister/son/daughter?
    Will Biden lead from the front or from his cellar ? I think Americans might like to know the answer to that.

Ah this old chestnut again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Seeing as Trump was able to find his way out of the bunker he was" inspecting" , biden will do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

A day.
    Projections of 400 thousand by the end of the year.
    What percentage of the population is that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Biden " so is my son "

Was he trying to imply his son was killed in a war he voted for ? Surely not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojkCKPtcJ54

His son sadly died of a brain tumour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement