Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the person who picks the music for Trumps campaign events is a genius. whether they intend to be a genius is up for debate

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1304195354372562947

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Classic Dear Leader moment at the White House

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

namloc1980 wrote: »

hmmmm if I remember correctly didnt the Trump zealots have a fit when the press were asked to leave the room after Biden/Harris signed there declaration to run for president/VP?

Apparently this was a sign that Biden was afraid to answer questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm stealing that. I need it for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

LOL, I love that kind of out of context type humor, thanks for sharing :D

Here's the full video on the historic Bahrain-Israel peace deal, brokered with the help of the Trump administration. The Peace President delivers yet again!

Trump:

"This is a truly historic day. There have been two peace agreements with Israel in the last 72 years, this is now the second peace agreement we have announced in the last month"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Here's the full video on the historic Bahrain-Israel peace deal, brokered with the help of the Trump administration. The Peace President delivers yet again!

Trump:

"This is a truly historic day. There have been two peace agreements with Israel in the last 72 years, this is now the second peace agreement we have announced in the last month"

Bahrain is the size of Dublin. Any peace treaty it signs is meaningless. It's basically one the USA's pet poodles.

Bahrain is the size of Dublin. Any peace treaty it signs is meaningless. It's basically one the USA's pet poodles.

Do you want the Bahrain-Israel war to continue, seeing all those coffins being repatriated on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you want the Bahrain-Israel war to continue, seeing all those coffins being repatriated on the news?

What’s next an end to the war between Israel and Micronesia?

Overheal wrote: »
    What’s next an end to the war between Israel and Micronesia?

And we haven't had a peace agreement with Israel either. At least not in 72 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump:

Bahrain is a horribly repressive regime, nice of Trump to legitimise that shower of scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Normalization of relationship between Israel and an Arab neighbour is a big deal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Danzy wrote: »
    Normalization of relationship between Israel and an Arab neighbour is a big deal.

I actually agree, it is a big deal. Just because he's generally a terrible human being a worse president, it doesn't mean the few good things he's done should be dismissed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There's a world of difference between Bahrain and Egypt/Jordan/Syria. Bahrain is also as much of a neighbour to Israel as Croatia. Look at a map.

Brian? wrote: »
    I actually agree, it is a big deal. Just because he's generally a terrible human being a worse president, it doesn't mean the few good things he's done should be dismissed.

The good outways the bad. His bad is largely just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Any peace deals that contribute to the reduction of conflicts in the Middle East is a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Any peace deals that contribute to the reduction of conflicts in the Middle East is a positive thing.

Were these countries at war?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Brian? wrote: »

It's a tiny country heavily under the influence of the USA. In terms of peace in the Middle East this treaty is meaningless. It's a molehill dressed up as a mountain and does nothing other than fool some of the American electorate while diverting attention away from Trump's support of Israel as they ramp up their mistreatment of Palestinians.

There's a world of difference between Bahrain and Egypt/Jordan/Syria. Bahrain is also as much of a neighbour to Israel as Croatia. Look at a map.

It's not the geographical context. It's that it is an Arabic state.

Have you guys even looked at a bloody map yet?

Go look at it and explain to me how these countries could go to war? I know that the yanks are poor at geography but I would expect Irish people to know that Israel doesn't border every arab country.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Ya we were really worried that Bahrain was going to go to war with Israel. Kept me up at night to be honest. Christ above. If there was a war Israel would destroy it in 2 seconds. Broker a peace deal between Israel and Palestine. That's meaningful. This deal is total horses**t.

• Advertisement

Looks like AG Barr was politically pressuring the Durham Probe to generate a report ahead of the election. A top prosecutor resigned as a result. She’s highly decorated and non partisan.

[url]

Have you guys even looked at a bloody map yet?

Go look at it and explain to me how these countries could go to war? I know that the yanks are poor at geography but I would expect Irish people to know that Israel doesn't border every arab country.

You might not be aware but countries who do not bounds each other have gone to war.

You might not be aware but countries who do not bounds each other have gone to war.

Are we pretending for a moment there have been any hostilities between Israel and Bahrain?

Are we pretending for a moment there have been any hostilities between Israel and Bahrain?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Looks like AG Barr was politically pressuring the Durham Probe to generate a report ahead of the election. A top prosecutor resigned as a result. She’s highly decorated and non partisan.

[url]

Well Barr has got form in winding up investigations early

ollkiller wrote: »
    Ya we were really worried that Bahrain was going to go to war with Israel. Kept me up at night to be honest. Christ above. If there was a war Israel would destroy it in 2 seconds. Broker a peace deal between Israel and Palestine. That's meaningful. This deal is total horses**t.

Or you could decide to move your embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and stoke up more distrust and hostility.

?

Look at the feckin' map and tell me how a country the size of Dublin goes to war across 1600 km through three countries to invade Israel.

I could post a picture but you wouldn't even see Bahrain at that scale.

These peace deals seem more like Trump reelection bid deals than meaningful deals.

I also see #TedCruzHasNoBalls is trending. Noice, America.

https://twitter.com/Trevornoah/status/1304485703905169411?s=20

• Advertisement

Also, this bomb just dropped

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/11/exclusive-trump-officials-interfered-with-cdc-reports-on-covid-19-412809?fbclid=IwAR1LaXwmZTk8yQxxlkgZUhNY_-z1E0hx2O28NDGLwrHmKKMFdNp-qdheYcE

Smoking gun of the open secret that the CDC has been getting politically manipulated to downplay Covid-19.
    The health department’s politically appointed communications aides have demanded the right to review and seek changes to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s weekly scientific reports charting the progress of the coronavirus pandemic, in what officials characterized as an attempt to intimidate the reports’ authors and water down their communications to health professionals.

In some cases, emails from communications aides to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other senior officials openly complained that the agency’s reports would undermine President Donald Trump's optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to emails reviewed by POLITICO and three people familiar with the situation.

CDC officials have fought back against the most sweeping changes, but have increasingly agreed to allow the political officials to review the reports and, in a few cases, compromised on the wording, according to three people familiar with the exchanges. The communications aides’ efforts to change the language in the CDC’s reports have been constant across the summer and continued as recently as Friday afternoon.

The CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports are authored by career scientists and serve as the main vehicle for the agency to inform doctors, researchers and the general public about how Covid-19 is spreading and who is at risk. Such reports have historically been published with little fanfare and no political interference, said several longtime health department officials, and have been viewed as a cornerstone of the nation's public health work for decades.

But since Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign official with no medical or scientific background, was installed in April as the health department's new spokesperson, there have been substantial efforts to align the reports with Trump's statements, including the president's claims that fears about the outbreak are overstated, or stop the reports altogether.

Caputo and his team have attempted to add caveats to the CDC's findings, including an effort to retroactively change agency reports that they said wrongly inflated the risks of Covid-19 and should have made clear that Americans sickened by the virus may have been infected because of their own behavior, according to the individuals familiar with the situation and emails reviewed by POLITICO.

Caputo's team also has tried to halt the release of some CDC reports, including delaying a report that addressed how doctors were prescribing hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug favored by Trump as a coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence. The report, which was held for about a month after Caputo’s team raised questions about its authors’ political leanings, was finally published last week. It said that "the potential benefits of these drugs do not outweigh their risks."

In one clash, an aide to Caputo berated CDC scientists for attempting to use the reports to "hurt the President" in an Aug. 8 email sent to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other officials that was widely circulated inside the department and obtained by POLITICO.

"CDC to me appears to be writing hit pieces on the administration," appointee Paul Alexander wrote, calling on Redfield to modify two already published reports that Alexander claimed wrongly inflated the risks of coronavirus to children and undermined Trump's push to reopen schools. "CDC tried to report as if once kids get together, there will be spread and this will impact school re-opening . . . Very misleading by CDC and shame on them. Their aim is clear."

Alexander also called on Redfield to halt all future MMWR reports until the agency modified its years-old publication process so he could personally review the entire report prior to publication, rather than a brief synopsis. Alexander, an assistant professor of health research at Toronto's McMaster University whom Caputo recruited this spring to be his scientific adviser, added that CDC needed to allow him to make line edits — and demanded an "immediate stop" to the reports in the meantime.

"The reports must be read by someone outside of CDC like myself, and we cannot allow the reporting to go on as it has been, for it is outrageous. Its lunacy," Alexander told Redfield and other officials. "Nothing to go out unless I read and agree with the findings how they CDC, wrote it and I tweak it to ensure it is fair and balanced and 'complete.'"

[...]

Kates, the Kaiser Family Foundation's global health expert, defended the CDC's process as rigorous and said that there was no reason for politically appointed officials to review the work of scientists. “MMWRs are famously known for being very clear about their limitations as well as being clear for what they've found," she said.

Kates also said that the CDC reports have played an essential role in combating epidemics for decades, pointing to an MMWR posted in 1981 — the first published report on what became the HIV epidemic.

“Physicians recognized there was some kind of pattern and disseminated it around the country and the world,” Kates said. “We can now see how important it was to have that publication, in that moment.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement