Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MadYaker wrote: »
    Does that somehow stop me having an opinion on it at the time?

Stops you proving your opinion at that time. People might think you are just pretending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Did he not nominate the US, Serbian and Kosovan governments? Which would be an entirely different nomination. For instance, the EU was nominated for, and won, the Nobel Peace Prize.

Yes, as I said he was nominated among other people. It also says same in the Tweet I shared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Last year, Hong Kong protestors were nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. I don't see it being entirely impossible for BLM to be nominated for 2021 (since there are so many different people who can make a nomination)......

Hypoethetically, if that were the case, would all those touting Trump's nomination hold the same view about Nobel nominations that they do now?

MacBride Prize 2020 awarded to Black Lives Matter and Hibakusha Signature Campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yes, as I said he was nominated among other people. It also says same in the Tweet I shared

So not Trump specifically. Just the government of which he is a part. and two other governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

President Trump (among others) has also received another nomination from a Swedish politician this week.

https://twitter.com/magnusjacobsson/status/1304396176612040705

Kim jong un has been nominated too, nomination means nothing.

I hope Jacinda Ardern wins it, saying that it would be an epic meltdown by Trump if Michelle Obama wins :D

World Health Organisation: 5/2
    Greta Thunberg: 3/1
    Jacinda Ardern: 5/1
    UNHCR: 12/1
    Black Lives Matter: 16/1
    Moon Jae-In: 18/1
    Donald Trump: 20/1
    Bill Gates: 20/1
    Julian Assange: 33/1
    Vladimir Putin: 33/1
    Emmanuel Macron: 35/1
    Boris Johnson: 50/1
    Joe Biden: 50/1
    Michelle Obama: 55/1
    Kim Jong-un: 60/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭westdublin

So well done Nancy Pelosi on her nomination :D

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Kim jong un has been nominated too, nomination means nothing.

I hope Jacinda Ardern wins it, saying that it would be an epic meltdown by Trump if Michelle Obama wins :D

World Health Organisation: 5/2
    Greta Thunberg: 3/1
    Jacinda Ardern: 5/1
    UNHCR: 12/1
    Black Lives Matter: 16/1
    Moon Jae-In: 18/1
    Donald Trump: 20/1
    Bill Gates: 20/1
    Julian Assange: 33/1
    Vladimir Putin: 33/1
    Emmanuel Macron: 35/1
    Boris Johnson: 50/1
    Joe Biden: 50/1
    Michelle Obama: 55/1
    Kim Jong-un: 60/1

The World Health Organisation winning it would send his blood pressure into overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Faugheen wrote: »
    The World Health Organisation winning it would send his blood pressure into overdrive.

As would Greta Thunberg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Seeing Trump lose to Greta would be pretty hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The WHO shouldn't come within an asses roar of any nobel prize either after the way they've handled coronavirus, in the beginning at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭westdublin

The WHO shouldn't come within an asses roar of any nobel prize either after the way they've handled coronavirus, in the beginning at least

Shouldn't that also rule out el Trumpo ?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Seeing Trump lose to Greta would be pretty hilarious.

LOL yeah, it would be a small consolation for Biden/Democrats losing the election :D

So not Trump specifically. Just the government of which he is a part. and two other governments.

Well yes and I specifically stated that the second nomination was Trump among other people. I don't think anyone claimed the nomination was specifically for him?

Monmouth University poll, rated A+ by 538, has a 9 point lead for Biden nationally in registered voters, and a 7 point lead in those "likely to vote"; https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_091020/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Mike Bloomberg to spend at least $100 million in Florida to benefit Joe Biden.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Great site here to play with:
    https://ig.ft.com/us-election-2020/

Essentially Trump needs to win most of the toss-up states, and a couple of the leaning states, and hope that nothing swings to Biden.

Trump's chances are about 1/4 to 1/3.

Will be interesting to see if it narrows as time goes on (the fact it hasn't narrowed much yet would be a worry for the GOP) and if the polling is accurately reflected this time, as they got caught on the hop last time for both Brexit and US election, so hopefully the "hidden" voter is being counted correctly this time.

It could all hinge on Florida. If Biden wins Florida it doesn’t look like Trump has any path to 270 electoral college votes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It could all hinge on Florida. If Biden wins Florida it doesn’t look like Trump has any path to 270 electoral college votes.

It's been almost 100 years since a Republican won the Presidency without Florida

If Biden was to win Florida, all he'd need to do would be to hold the States that Clinton won - which, if he wins Florida is almost a given and pick up any one of the mid-west States that Trump won,. And he has good leads in all of them right now. Pennsylvania, Michigan etc.

While it’s still long way to the election in terms of 2020 politics it is hard to see how trump is going to turn it around. Compared to the well oiled machine his team ran in 2016 this campaign is floundering by comparison. The law and order angle he keeps flogging is getting him nowhere. I think the fact that he can’t hold the big rallies is a problem for his campaign. They generated a lot of publicity and talking points.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He has two major problems.

Firstly, he's now the incumbent with a Record to defend so he can't play the " What have you got to lose card" and secondly nobody really dislikes Joe Biden. They might disagree on Policy etc. but nobody hates him, most people, even Democrat voters didn't like Clinton, so the "Lock her up" stuff was an easy sell.

Those were basically his key campaign points last time and neither are available to him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Here is a funny one, if you in google type "does joe biden have dementia?" It never auto completes. If you do the same in bing it autocompletes afterJ. I suppose domestic interference is ok

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

MadYaker joined boards.ie in December 2010. Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009.
    That doesn't mean he can't comment on it after.

I found a post by MadYaker criticising giving Obama the prize - I believe him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/12/pence-drops-out-of-trump-campaign-fundraiser-backed-by-qanon-supporters.html

Interesting that Pence has pulled out of a campaign fundraiser backed by QAnon supporters.

I wonder if the campaign will distance themselves from all future campaign events that are run or organised by QAnon supporters.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/12/pence-drops-out-of-trump-campaign-fundraiser-backed-by-qanon-supporters.html

Interesting that Pence has pulled out of a campaign fundraiser backed by QAnon supporters.

I wonder if the campaign will distance themselves from all future campaign events that are run or organised by QAnon supporters.

Didn't you treat them as credible recently enough?

Didn't you treat them as credible recently enough?

I didn't treat them as credible I merely stated that I've checked their posts for news.

silverharp wrote: »
    Here is a funny one, if you in google type "does joe biden have dementia?" It never auto completes. If you do the same in bing it autocompletes afterJ. I suppose domestic interference is ok
    Go on try the same for Donald Trump there

I didn't treat them as credible I merely stated that I've checked their posts for news.

If you're using them as a news source, you viewed them as somewhat credible...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Biden is doing well among middle and upper class whites, Trump is doing well among the white working class and Cuban Americans.

Fairly even split. One important piece might be the inroads Trump has made in Miami Dade countys Hispanic community.

If you're using them as a news source, you viewed them as somewhat credible...

One of their posts led me to this Reddit post that contains a list of all US politicians Charged/Convicted of Sex Crimes against minors which I would consider newsworthy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DivineRightOfKings/comments/cc3msy/here_is_a_list_of_all_us_politicians/

So they are providing links to genuine news stories but I'm not naive enough to believe that everything that is posted there is true .

• Advertisement

One of their posts led me to this Reddit post that contains a list of all US politicians Charged/Convicted of Sex Crimes against minors which I would consider newsworthy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DivineRightOfKings/comments/cc3msy/here_is_a_list_of_all_us_politicians/

So they are providing links to genuine news stories but I'm not naive enough to believe that everything that is posted there is true .
    Some very questionable things on that list.....

Strom Thurmond is listed as a Democrat, despite the fact that he represented Democrats for 10 years, and Republicans for the next 39.

Jared Fogle as a "politician', or in any way a prominent Democrat, is something I'd want to see some evidence for.

Bernie Ward was a radio host, not a politician.

Dean Westlake is included, but not Roy Moore for some reason.

That's just looking through very quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement