Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And seeing as Lad either doesn't get the reference or has left it out on purpose (surprise surprise)

Biden had just been introduced by the songs singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You know he was introduced by the guy who sings that song right? You're really embarrassing yourself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Any response to that other fake news video u posted or are you suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome so bad that you can't see that it was clearly fake? Either way I'm scarlet for you. Some Trump thumpers at least show a shred of intellectual honestly but you just make yourself look really stupid all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

After your totally embarrassing post yesterday I'm actually shocked you are back trying the same tactics again.

Doesn’t care, they are all in on Trump and don’t care about facts. Facts are just fake news in that world.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

That is so so sad.

This has to be stopped now. The Democrats need to step up and own this problem.

That is so so sad.

perhaps you should read up on why he played that song before posting more nonsense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is so so sad.

perhaps you should read up on why he played that song before posting more nonsense.

And therein is captured the utter poison that is Social Media.

How many countless thousands will see a manipulated video or photo and take it at face value and not do a double-check?

We've had several examples over the last couple of days where a video was posted appearing to show one thing, but a quick bit of research shows that they were either actively manipulated or just cropped to remove context.

The vast majority of people don't and won't take that extra step - They see it , it resonates with their point of view and they click share.

It's utterly poisonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

After your totally embarrassing post yesterday I'm actually shocked you are back trying the same tactics again.

I’m not. I specifically predicted it.

Overheal wrote: »

I'm wondering what tomorrow's will be.

Friday should be a laugh too, Biden will do his townhall and they will all be up bright and early scouring facebook/twitter for edited video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I have been lurking here for weeks watching a mostly reasonable debate anbd discussion, but at the same time confused by some peoples undying faith in Trump. It was only this morning, when I see a post on Twitter regarding the Turning Point USA Organisation.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/21438897/troll-farm-turning-point-teenagers-moderation
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/turning-point-hired-arizona-teens-to-flood-social-media-with-attacks-on-biden-wapo
    With this organisation also having a UK branch I am left wondering if there is some kind of similar process being followed by some people with in this thread??

MoodeRator wrote: »
    I have been lurking here for weeks watching a mostly reasonable debate anbd discussion, but at the same time confused by some peoples undying faith in Trump. It was only this morning, when I see a post on Twitter regarding the Turning Point USA Organisation.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/21438897/troll-farm-turning-point-teenagers-moderation
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/turning-point-hired-arizona-teens-to-flood-social-media-with-attacks-on-biden-wapo
    With this organisation also having a UK branch I am left wondering if there is some kind of similar process being followed by some people with in this thread??

It is scurrilous to suggest that the people posting pro-trump talking points are being paid to do so.

It is scurrilous to suggest that the people posting pro-trump talking points are being paid to do so.

It’s not beyond belief that some of the posters are disingenuous, plenty just post whatever clips they come across. If they are being paid they really aren’t earning their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wow that town hall was a complete shambles. What an embarrassing performance by Trump. What's clear again is he has absolutely no ability to discuss policy or articulate policy in any way. He just defaults to the same nonsense in every answer i.e. blame Obama and others for his failings, say that he's looking into things "strongly", claim he's done more than any President ever (while being unable to articulate that at all) and rinse and repeat. Absolute shitshow.

Let's not forget that this is the guy who'll supposedly "destroy" Biden in the debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And therein is captured the utter poison that is Social Media.

How many countless thousands will see a manipulated video or photo and take it at face value and not do a double-check?

We've had several examples over the last couple of days where a video was posted appearing to show one thing, but a quick bit of research shows that they were either actively manipulated or just cropped to remove context.

The vast majority of people don't and won't take that extra step - They see it , it resonates with their point of view and they click share.

It's utterly poisonous.

Good post. If it's not dealt with, and I don't think it will be, then democracy will almost certainly die. What a thing to find myself typing in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

MoodeRator wrote: »

I doubt it myself. I'd say they're just hanging around in the areas that are targeted by such people and picking up a case of monkey see, monkey do.

Those cesspits of cultish devotion can't foster anything resembling sensible debate. It's just people blindly distributing memes and videos to others who blindly distribute memes and videos and so on. That's why they aren't able to engage - it just doesn't happen in their bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gentlemanne

I'm wondering what tomorrow's will be.

Friday should be a laugh too, Biden will do his townhall and they will all be up bright and early scouring facebook/twitter for edited video.

I don't think he needs to do much scouring, he posts stuff from the griftiest of right wing twitter, so the deceptive and cherry-picked nonsense is fed directly to him.

It amazes me when someone uses a person like Ian Miles Cheong as a source, someone who is so phony that just yesterday he posted a hoax correction that included his own tweets as a source of the hoax

https://twitter.com/RationalDis/status/1305964230324244491?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

mcmoustache your thoughts do seem more plausible than my own. I suppose it is similar to the many posts I used to witness on Facebook (when I used to have it), whereby if something is posted on the internet it must be true. Although I could never work why, if people had a genuine interest in the topic posted, why would they not research it first hand, rather than just blindly pass on such obvious falsehoods

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

coolbeans wrote: »
    Good post. If it's not dealt with, and I don't think it will be, then democracy will almost certainly die. What a thing to find myself typing in 2020.

It's not just democracy , it's society.

The increasing lack of critical thinking across the board is worrying to say the least.

The whole "But I saw it in Facebook/Twitter/Instagram" mindset along with people limiting themselves to a single source for information (or a least a single flavour of source) is a huge risk.

We are living in a post-truth/low information age - Which is really incredible when you think that the average person has access to more information at their fingertips then at any other time in human history.

And what have we chosen to do with all this access to information?

We share F**king MEMES!

It's a depressing window into the state of humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

coolbeans wrote: »

I think you have the wrong tense. It's already dead, decided by media and social media. Much like how we used to choose the next apprentice on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭dinorebel

A full transcript of last nights Town Hall I'd like a Trump supporter to read it then come back and still say Biden is the mentally compromised candidate.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps-abc-news-town-hall-full-transcript/story?id=73035489&cid=social_twitter_abcnp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Jesus, that's desperate.

Patronizing Bull**** like that sunk Labour in Britain.

Out of touch rich kids.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's not just democracy , it's society.

The increasing lack of critical thinking across the board is worrying to say the least.

The whole "But I saw it in Facebook/Twitter/Instagram" mindset along with people limiting themselves to a single source for information (or a least a single flavour of source) is a huge risk.

We are living in a post-truth/low information age - Which is really incredible when you think that the average person has access to more information at their fingertips then at any other time in human history.

And what have we chosen to do with all this access to information?

We share F**king MEMES!

It's a depressing window into the state of humanity.

Sharing memes is really just a form if comedy/satire that's been around forever. That's fine as it's in the context of humour and mostly obvious.

It's the abuse of information technology (amongst other abuses) that's the issue. Edited videos, lies, repeated sound clips, mass campaigning on three word slogans, deliberate spreading of misinformation or incomplete information, false equivalences, targeting/profiling of voters to very specific degrees, constant polarisation of people.
    Mix that with the general lack of education around critical thinking and the humans brain constantly seeking confirmation bias and it's easy to see why we seem to be in decline.

What can we do tho? The interest in seeking out facts is low, we barely even want to admit there is a problem. Oh look, cat video sent to me on WA, brb

Danzy wrote: »
    Jesus, that's desperate.

Out of touch rich kids.

Context, context , context

Danzy wrote: »
    Jesus, that's desperate.

Out of touch rich kids.

Context is key

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭briany

The difference between Biden and Trump at this stage is that you have to edit a Biden interview/speech to make him sound incoherent, while you have to edit a Trump interview/speech to make him sound coherent. Every halfway objective examination of Trump that has been done lately has gone viral from the Chris Wallace interview, to the HBO interview and now to this town hall.

Biden trips over his words in little clips. Trump does it in long form. You really do need to cop a 'Herd mentality' to believe Trump is fit for the presidency.

Overheal wrote: »

Time to do the username change to Nostradamus. :D

Time to do the username change to Nostradamus. :D

I knew you were going to say that :pac:

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s not beyond belief that some of the posters are disingenuous, plenty just post whatever clips they come across. If they are being paid they really aren’t earning their money.

Minimum wage/minimum effort?

• Advertisement

Minimum wage/minimum effort?

Even for minimum wage I’d expect some level of effort

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement