Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/opinion/trump-biden-presidential-debates-2020.html

No surprise they are trying to cancel the debates, it's a real shame, if they had picked Tulsi Gabbard or Andrew Yang I would have actually backed the democrats, and either of those 2 could take Trump on easily in a debate.

Poor Joe won't even know where he is ...

I'd prefer if they actually have the debates.
    Cancelling would be a win for the democrats as Joe wouldnt be exposed.

ELM327 wrote: »

I'd say you should be more concerned about how Trump will respond to basic criticisms...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,590 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No one is calling for debates to be cancelled though

He posted an opinion piece as if it was fact

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump's really going all-in on the 'China created this problem' angle. Last night he referred to Covid as 'the China plague'. I'm sure that'll play great with his base, but to everyone else it comes off as a transparent and rather xenophobic way to deflect blame. He's pretty much saying everything short of China deliberately cooked up this virus to tank the U.S. economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

biko wrote: »
    Totes akws

Eege-MZZUw-Ao-C46a.jpg
    What did you think of Trump's Axios interview, biko?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You don't think Trump is open to being exposed?

Unlike last time around, he has 4 years worth of clownery to be questioned on. And based on that recent interview, he's not able to handle easy questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wonder will Joe Rogan give his expert opinion on Trump not being able to pronounce Yosemite...

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1290665169824165888?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

A train-wreck interview by a sitting US president is nowhere near as important as two tweets from some kid which on the surface seem a little contradictory.

Notice how the two tweets seem to contradict each other. If these tweets are real, then that guy could be in big trouble with the internet police. Let's not get bogged down with the possibility that tiktok can be a security risk AND that Trump wants it banned for more personal reasons. No, ignore your ability to read and just laugh at the stupid shooting victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, I think "Totes akws" is probably also the best review someone could give Trump's interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Trump is a buffoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,486 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Penn wrote: »
    Wonder will Joe Rogan give his expert opinion on Trump not being able to pronounce Yosemite...

Anti-semite, pro-semite, yo-semite - 'it is what it is.'

A train-wreck interview by a sitting US president is nowhere near as important as two tweets from some kid which on the surface seem a little contradictory.

Notice how the two tweets seem to contradict each other. If these tweets are real, then that guy could be in big trouble with the internet police. Let's not get bogged down with the possibility that tiktok can be a security risk AND that Trump wants it banned for more personal reasons. No, ignore your ability to read and just laugh at the stupid shooting victim.

That kid has basically been a target of the NRA since he started campaigning on gun control. Poor guy is constantly smeared.

That kid has basically been a target of the NRA since he started campaigning on gun control. Poor guy is constantly smeared.

And he receives death threats. Great bunch of lads the well-regulated militia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Who'd have thought some kid who survived a school shooting contradicting himself on social media would be the hot topic of the day in the Trump v Biden presidential election thread 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ollkiller wrote: »
    Deaths per population is not a meaningless metric.
    South Korea. 51 million people. 300 deaths.
    USA. 350 million people. 155000 deaths.

If the USA was a good as South Korea it should have 2100 deaths. So as you can see Trump f***ed it up royally.

For it to be a meaningful metric, infection would need to be spread evenly throughout the population. It isn't, it's focused in clusters.

When new York was suffering terribly with the pandemic, it was largely contained within NY, so the USA lad a low death/population ratio. You could hardly have said the USA was dealing with it well at the time.

There is not one single number you can point to that says how good or bad somewhere is dealing with the pandemic. A whole host of statistics are needed to paint that picture.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yep. Trump is the the political establishment now. Hilary couldn’t lay a glove on him because there was nothing to hit.

Now Trump is the President and he has to defend his record. If Trump supporters here (I wouldn’t even call them Trump supporters, just losers who want to stick it to the left) thought the media was out to get him in 2016, I fear for their health this time around.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Who'd have thought some kid who survived a school shooting contradicting himself on social media would be the hot topic of the day in the Trump v Biden presidential election thread ��

Right, people can't even do counterspin correctly. At least Fox/the Trump camp is giving its all this morning:

Trump 2020 Communications Director Erin Perrine called former Vice President Joe Biden’s presidential campaign manifesto the “Bernie-Biden Communist Manifesto” during a Fox News debate with DNC War Room spokeswoman Lily Adams on Tuesday.

During the panel discussion, Adams called a Monday Wall Street Journal op-ed questioning whether Biden will “duck” the debates “completely ridiculous,” before claiming, “What you are seeing from the Trump campaign is that they don’t have real attacks on Joe Biden so they’re fabricating non-issues.”

Perrine responded by noting that the Trump campaign “would like earlier debates” as well as “an additional debate,” arguing, “These are not usual times in an election cycle. Joe Biden continues to hide in his basement, his handlers continue to provide cover, and so does the media.”

“He needs to stand on stage, have a contrast, have an exchange of ideas,” she continued, before invoking Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) by claiming, “Joe Biden has an almost 50-year failed record he has to try to defend plus the Bernie-Biden Communist Manifesto that he’s trying to run on now. Those are bad policies for the American people.”

“President Trump continues to fight the coronavirus, to try to bring our economy back, and protect the American people every single day. It’s a contrast voters should see before they begin to vote in this country,” Perrine concluded.

Adams shot back that Biden has done “a hundred interviews since March when he basically secured the Democratic nomination” and “did a news conference last week.”

Watch above via Fox News.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,440 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I said I would give the first name on your list "Tig Notaro" a fair listen. On YouTube

https://youtu.be/yitxaN8LZ4M

Mate I'm not joking but its absolutely horrendous

Wouldn't be her biggest fan. But from the above list I do like Jo Brand and Ashling Bee and would add Josie Lawrence and definitely Sarah Pascoe to it. Katherine Ryan has some really funny stuff to say but I'm not keen on the American style delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Crazy how he visibly can't deal with actually pointed questions. He appeared genuinely rattled in that interview.

Fair play to the interviewer. One of the rare occasions I've seen of someone not going soft on Trump. He gets away with murder in most dealings with the press, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »

I've heard a few stories on the potential reasons for this sort of stuff.

The most likely is that he needs glasses to read but refuses to wear them in public for vanity , so that he can't actually see what he's supposed to be reading off sheets of paper as he was in this example. So he sees part of the word and starts to pronounce what he thinks it is but then refuses to course correct when he finally sees it properly and so ends up with this kind of mangled pronunciation.

Of course there are the conspiracy theories , linked to his refusal to release his grades and his alleged payment to someone to sit his SAT's etc. that he actually has a learning disability (Dyslexia/Dyspraxia etc.) and just doesn't read very well.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Arghus wrote: »
    Crazy how he visibly can't deal with actually pointed questions. He appeared genuinely rattled in that interview.

Fair play to the interviewer. One of the rare occasions I've seen of someone not going soft on Trump. He gets away with murder in most dealings with the press, in my opinion.

When you pin him down on details he is hopelessly exposed.

I genuinely think he is seriously lacking in understanding of fundamental political things like the powers and limits of federal government, state governments, and indeed his own powers as president.

He bluffed his way into the White House and has bluffed his way through his first term. He strikes me as not knowing any more about politics than he did on his first day in office.

Somebody mentioned earlier that Biden should be ready with lots of hard facts, but I think Biden would be better off asking specific questions that should be common knowledge for any president or candidate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've heard a few stories on the potential reasons for this sort of stuff.

The most likely is that he needs glasses to read but refuses to wear them in public for vanity , so that he can't actually see what he's supposed to be reading off sheets of paper as he was in this example. So he sees part of the word and starts to pronounce what he thinks it is but then refuses to course correct when he finally sees it properly and so ends up with this kind of mangled pronunciation.

Of course there are the conspiracy theories , linked to his refusal to release his grades and his alleged payment to someone to sit his SAT's etc. that he actually has a learning disability (Dyslexia/Dyspraxia etc.) and just doesn't read very well.

I think it is just that he doesnt like to read at all. he prefers everything everything presented as short bullet points. he also isn't keen on preparation. as a result when he gave the speech that was probably the first time he had seen that word written down

osarusan wrote: »
    When you pin him down on details he is hopelessly exposed.

I genuinely think he is seriously lacking in understanding of fundamental political things like the powers and limits of federal government, state governments, and indeed his own powers as president.

He bluffed his way into the White House and has bluffed his way through his first term. He strikes me as not knowing any more about politics than he did on his first day in office.

Somebody mentioned earlier that Biden should be ready with lots of hard facts, but I think Biden would be better off asking specific questions that should be common knowledge for any president or candidate.

Don't disagree.

Just on the debates , are the candidates wired up with ear-pieces during the debates to enable them to get prompts/updates from a 3rd party or are they "alone" on stage?

I believe it's the latter , but I'm not 100%

Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Don't disagree.

Just on the debates , are the candidates wired up with ear-pieces during the debates to enable them to get prompts/updates from a 3rd party or are they "alone" on stage?

I believe it's the latter , but I'm not 100%

Does anyone know?

they are meant to be on their own. you might remember in 2016 that inforwars alleged that hilary was wearing an earpiece during the first debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

There is not one single number you can point to that says how good or bad somewhere is dealing with the pandemic. A whole host of statistics are needed to paint that picture.

Deaths per million or 100k, is a pretty good indication.

If it is low you have preformed well, if it is high you've f**ked up some where. Let it into your old peoples homes or failed to control the spread in your society or failed at a hospital level.

What is ironic about the whole thing is the fact that the US has done a lot of testing which lowers their apparent ifr which Trump is touting while pushing back against testing all along.

The election is rigged mail in votes are a fraud etc - oh except in Florida where Ron DeSantis is my guy

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1290692768675901440?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Seems he's acknowledging that "vote by mail" and "absentee voting" are the same thing, the exact opposite of the ****e he's been spouting for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Who'd have thought some kid who survived a school shooting contradicting himself on social media would be the hot topic of the day in the Trump v Biden presidential election thread ��

Exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement