Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

ollkiller wrote: »
    If the Lincoln Project was Cristiano Ronaldo that is Emile Heskey.

Harsh on Heskey. Djimi Traore would be more accurare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The sleepy Joe stuff is pathetic. Real bottom of the barrell stuff. Challenge him on his policy ffs.

I'd be fairly pissed if I was a US voter.

But if they challenge on policy then what happens if they are asked about their policies?

Trump basically went through the whole 2016 election campaign with no policies, apart from headlines. MAGA, Drain the Swamp, Build the Wall. But apart from some questions about the cost of the wall (Trump didn't know but said whatever it was Mexcio was going to pay anyway) he managed to avoid having any detailed policies.

It seems the US voters simply don't care about policies. The 'side' is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Harsh on Heskey. Djimi Traore would be more accurare.

you leave Djimi traore alone. The man has a champions league winners medal and there was always an air of frisson and excitement whenever the ball went near him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

you leave Djimi traore alone. The man has a champions league winners medal and there was always an air of frisson and excitement whenever the ball went near him.

He just can't,

He just can't,

He just can't control his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Biden does it again....first there was the whole 'If you dont vote for me you aint Black' comment from a while ago and now he more or less said All Black People Are The Same, Unlike Hispanics!

This guy is a clear racist and it is clear he sees all Black people in a particular way.

https://anthonyblogan.com/joe-biden-says-all-black-people-are-the-same-unlike-hispanics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Biden does it again....first there was the whole 'If you dont vote for me you aint Black' comment from a while ago and now he more or less said All Black People Are The Same, Unlike Hispanics!

This guy is a clear racist and it is clear he sees all Black people in a particular way.

https://anthonyblogan.com/joe-biden-says-all-black-people-are-the-same-unlike-hispanics/

If he is a clear racist then he should win the election or perhaps you can explain why all the racists are Trump supporters?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So now you've got a problem with racism?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

He clarified his remarks so not really the most exciting.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1291540507416559617?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    No.. it doesn't make you a Trump supporter , but I would question your sense of humour :-)

It's just not funny and not particularly well done..

The Lincoln Project pick a single target and hit it hard in 30 to 60 second bites. Short sharp and to the point.

This runs for over 11 minutes and each time they show a clip of Biden they have to cut back to some guy who needs to spend a few minutes explaining why what Biden just said was somehow terrible , because without the contrived explanation , it mostly wouldn't make sense or stand alone.

I'm not saying that there isn't material out there for someone to create Anti-Biden viral clips a la the Lincoln project , I'm sure there is, but that is absolutely not it.

I probably should have said that it's not a direct comparison to the Lincoln Project but more that the content of both videos is comparable in that they are both attacks on the candidate where as the video I posted is a more softly softly approach rather than a short sharp attack

As for the man needing to explain the clips in the video I don't think that's necessarily true you could easily see why they were included to show Biden's inability to speak coherently on occasion and to say that a contrived explanation from the man in the video is required isn't true IMO

As for finding it funny I thought it was funny watching Biden stumble and bumble during some of his speeches and I also laughed when he couldn't read the teleprompter correctly.

I probably should have said that it's not a direct comparison to the Lincoln Project but more that the content of both videos is comparable in that they are both attacks on the candidate where as the video I posted is a more softly softly approach rather than a short sharp attack

As for the man needing to explain the clips in the video I don't think that's necessarily true you could easily see why they were included to show Biden's inability to speak coherently on occasion and to say that a contrived explanation from the man in the video is required isn't true IMO

As for finding it funny I thought it was funny watching Biden stumble and bumble during some of his speeches and I also laughed when he couldn't read the teleprompter correctly.

And Biden gaffes really tend to pale in contrast to Trump's speeches in the last 4 years.

• Advertisement

This is reminding me of that time when people kept claiming the right wing comedians were killing it. The Lincoln Project videos are effectively two minutes ads. You've just posted an 11 minute video by a randomer that an undecided voter is unlikely to watch.

Your video is more akin to those guys who make lengthy videos getting annoyed by Star Wars films being too "woke".

The video is highlighting some of Biden's gaffes and flaws the man in the video isn't saying anything is too woke so the star wars comparison is completely irrelevant IMO.

And Biden gaffes really tend to pale in contrast to Trump's speeches in the last 4 years.

There's no doubt Trump has made many gaffes in his time as President

I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty more of Biden's gaffes in the future in the run up to the election they're going to save the best for last.

The video is highlighting some of Biden's gaffes and flaws the man in the video isn't saying anything is too woke so the star wars comparison is completely irrelevant IMO.

The first gaff is that he said he was going to read the daily briefings but that couldn't be true as he struggled with a teleprompter!

That was it. That was the joke.

But again, nobody is saying, and in fact many people are openly stating that Biden os far from the ideal candidate, but any compilation of Biden has to be seen in the context of who he is running against, namely Trump.

The teleprompter thing was actually a struggle to even interpret as a joke...

That tweet from Biden shows the clear difference. Biden accepts that what he said was not what he meant and has taken responsibility to try to correct it.

How many times has Trump corrected the record.

Even yesterday he was asked on what basis he called the Beirut explosion and attack and instead of saying that it was now clear it wasn't he doubled down.

He is incapable of accepting that anything he says or does is wrong, or even could be perceived to be wrong.

One aspect of real leadership is to understand that its not what you meant to say, but what people understood form what you said and you need to adjust your message to ensure that they align.

the difference between your video and the lincoln project is one of quality. the lincoln project videos are well made. the one you posted is just typical longwinded YT nonsense that is ten a penny.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I guess the point about this kind of "attack" on Biden from the right is that it's all based around Biden the person as somehow being unfit for Office because he stumbles over words sometimes etc. whilst ignoring the fact that Trump does this just as much if not more.

They are attacking Biden for the very thing that Trump is himself guilty of. The cognitive dissonance from Fox News et al is staggering.

Today for example , there are 3 articles above the fold on the Fox News homepage highlighting Biden "gaffes" that they say make him totally incapable of being President , but not a word about "Yo-Semites , Yo-Seminites" etc.

There are no attacks on Biden about Policy , beyond vague things like "He'll take your God, your guns and your windows".

The Lincoln Project and others by and large targets policies or the impact of Policies.

I didn't make it all the way through the Video (and few will, it's WAY too long) , but when they put up a Biden tweet saying "I'll read my briefings" they had to spend several minutes trying to explain why this was bad by claiming that the people who say that Trump doesn't read his briefings are liars.

The same thing about the Biden quote about Trump saying people should drink bleach - I'll not go down that rabbit hole again as we had pages and pages of it here with people trying to argue that "Disinfectant" and "Bleach" were different things etc. etc.

Bottom line , as they say "If you're explaining , you're losing".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

So now you've got a problem with racism?

Always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There's no doubt Trump has made many gaffes in his time as President

I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty more of Biden's gaffes in the future in the run up to the election they're going to save the best for last.

Will anything beat this though?

Interviewer: People are dying.

Trump: Yes people are dying, it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Always have.
    So keeping white supremacists in key white house roles should be entirely unacceptable, and you wouldn't be supportive of a president that does?

• Advertisement

Will anything beat this though?

Interviewer: People are dying.

Trump: Yes people are dying, it is what it is.

and let us not forget

Interviewer: she is charged with child sex trafficking

Trump : Big Deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,491 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BTW: Rudy’s ‘suggestion’ for a 4th debate in September has already been declined by the CPD. I’m sure they tossed their list of moderators as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Overheal wrote: »
    BTW: Rudy’s ‘suggestion’ for a 4th debate in September has already been declined by the CPD. I’m sure they tossed their list of moderators as well.

They did decline the request for a 4th debate , but they did say that if "both sides can agree" they might be open to moving one of the debates to an earlier date.

Cue the Trump campaign claiming that Biden is "running scared" and "afraid to leave his basement" when he inevitably wants to stick to the agreed schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    They did decline the request for a 4th debate , but they did say that if "both sides can agree" they might be open to moving one of the debates to an earlier date.

Cue the Trump campaign claiming that Biden is "running scared" and "afraid to leave his basement" when he inevitably wants to stick to the agreed schedule.

Biden should totally refuse to do anything the Trump camp asks for, frustrate their efforts at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That tweet from Biden shows the clear difference. Biden accepts that what he said was not what he meant and has taken responsibility to try to correct it.

How many times has Trump corrected the record.

Even yesterday he was asked on what basis he called the Beirut explosion and attack and instead of saying that it was now clear it wasn't he doubled down.

He is incapable of accepting that anything he says or does is wrong, or even could be perceived to be wrong.

One aspect of real leadership is to understand that its not what you meant to say, but what people understood form what you said and you need to adjust your message to ensure that they align.

I've long been convinced that his narcissism is so bad, he actually genuinely believes that he is the only voice of truth in the world. Whatever he says immediately becomes fact in his mind and nothing could ever convince him otherwise.

It is clearly a sign that the Trump team are worried. Traditionally, debates offer little to incumbents or front runners. At best they can maintain their advantage.

The debates were good for Trump in 2016 since the expectations were so low. Once he didn't completely fall apart, and he came pretty close in the 1st debate, it would be seen that he did well against the vastly more experienced HC.

So asking for a debate, when he has spent the past four years actively avoiding talking to what he considers to be hostile press only supports the idea that they are failing around looking for something.

The hope would be that he would bully and beat Biden in a debate. And IMO, he probably is right to think that. Biden would look to be staesman like, stick to facts and talking points, whilst Trump will try to bully and shout and demean and pull him into the gutter. THat is an area that Trump undoubtedly has the advantage.

That is not to say that I think Biden will necessarily do badly, just that the possibility, on both sides, exists. But with Biden leading the polls, there is simply no need to increase any risks.

What I would say is that the Walace interview and then particularly the Axios interview gives a big insight into how to totally derial Trump. HC decided to almost ignore Trump and stick the her talking points, but it is clear that by directly challenging Trump, and following up, it is very easy to get him totally off centre and he starts to flap about and becomes more and more incoherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

and let us not forget

Interviewer: she is charged with child sex trafficking

Trump : Big Deal!
    I noticed a fairly high crossover of posters who support Trump and also claimed Roderic O'Gorman should explain his association with Peter Tatchell

For some reason though they seem to be completely silent on Donnie wishing a suspected child sex trafficer well

• Registered Users Posts: 83,491 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you read the letter Giuliani sent to the CPD it basically said that: they wanted the 4th debate because they’re concerned that absentee ballots will already be getting sent in the mail in September, ie. Voters who had already made up their minds weren’t going to wait to chance their mind and vote Trump/not vote for Biden. Put another way they sure wouldn’t want you to vote today before they had a chance to get Trump on stage to shout over everyone on the microphone, it’s their last hope and they know if the vote was held today they’d lose it by incontrovertible margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

So keeping white supremacists in key white house roles should be entirely unacceptable, and you wouldn't be supportive of a president that does?

The thing is, the Trump campaign doesn't think Biden's a racist. Nor do they think that voters will believe that Biden's a racist. I think that what they're at is trying to dull the accusations of racism against the guy who kept blacks out of his property and keeps picking stupid fights with black people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

i am very skeptical about this TBH. an organization that has been under investigation numerous times; now all of a sudden misappropriating funds?

they would have been on their best behavior surely?

Not by a long shot - the NRA stopped being a guns rights first and foremost organisation a long time ago, and stopped even pretending to give any f*cks around the time they were named as having been used as a device for the Kremlin to spread money and influence into Trumps campaign, while also running ads calling for violence against political opponents.

They even hired Oliver North, the person behind (or who took the fall for) the Iran/Contra arms dealing scandal in the 1980s as their president, for crying out loud. Then they proved too corrupt even for him, which is a big reason why he stepped down a year ago (either that or he wasn't able to push his way into getting enough of a feed at the trough).

The NRA is simply an organisation that funnels dodgy money, both domestic and foreign, into areas like politics while the higher ups pocket anything and everything possible (legal or otherwise). They're in the same cultist/grifter space as Trump and several GOP media goons, so know their membership won't pay know, won't care, or won't want to speak up and appear disloyal to their peers. For people interested in actual gun rights advocacy, there are a bunch of organisations that do that instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement