Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I did enjoy her grilling AG Barr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I can't think of a worse choice. Another out of touch establishment millionaire, cop-defender at a time of anger against the police, and first in line to uphold the martyr Jussie Smollett without ever apologizing for that debacle. Obnoxious in every single last way. Why do people around the world keep voting in the worst of the worst to represent them, and always having to chose between total garbage and total garbage but slightly less bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The_Brood wrote: »
    I can't think of a worse choice. Another out of touch establishment millionaire, cop-defender at a time of anger against the police, and first in line to uphold the martyr Jussie Smollett without ever apologizing for that debacle. Obnoxious in every single last way. Why do people around the world keep voting in the worst of the worst to represent them, and always having to chose between total garbage and total garbage but slightly less bad.

I could think of many worse choices.

She’s a star. Look at the reaction this is getting across the water. There was nowhere near any excitement for when Pence and Kaine were announced.

Trump is a former donor to her as well. It’s a great pick for that alone because Trump has no credibility when it comes to criticising her.

She's strong in the sense that it's pretty easy to see her as President. That's both setting her up for a run in 2024 and covering the angle of her picking up from Biden of anything were to happen to him. She's all plenty good on plenty of issues. Eg very anti ICE, was active in terms of corona responses. This all lends credibility to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Tulsi Gabbard made mincemeat of her during the selection process. Can't see the Republicans being too scared.

Does she still think he's racist or has she changed her mind on that one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

US Conservatives are gleeful over the pick of Harris and from Babylon bee: https://babylonbee.com/news/party-of-the-poor-and-oppressed-nominates-old-rich-white-man-and-cop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Kamala Harris said publicly in 2019 that she believed the women who have come forward to say they felt uncomfortable because of unwanted touching from Joe Biden. She said she believed them and she respected their courage.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Tulsi Gabbard made mincemeat of her during the selection process. Can't see the Republicans being too scared.

What will the Republicans do? Tell her that she wasn’t tough enough on the police?

The same Republicans that are trying to say the Democrats are anti-police and pro-looting?

I swear some people actually don’t think before they post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

da_miser wrote: »
    Harris to be VP

Pray Trump wins as alternative is..........

Brilliantly prescient and staggeringly stupid in the same post!

Well done, you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Kamala Harris said publicly in 2019 that she believed the women who have come forward to say they felt uncomfortable because of unwanted touching from Joe Biden. She said she believed them and she respected their courage.

Is that supposed to be a gotcha?? :confused:

Biden admitted that his was overly touchy with women, in a non-sexual manner, and he understood that it might have made them uncomfortable and said he'd stop.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    What will the Republicans do? Tell her that she wasn’t tough enough on the police?

The same Republicans that are trying to say the Democrats are anti-police and pro-looting?

I swear some people actually don’t think before they post.

Yeah, Mr 'When the looting starts, the shooting starts' will have an easy job painting a black woman as being too pro cop.

It shows real balls from Biden picking someone that went at him hard in the debates, unlike Trump picking a lapdog like Pence.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Yeah, Mr 'When the looting starts, the shooting starts' will have an easy job painting a black woman as being too pro cop.

It shows real balls from Biden picking someone that went at him hard in the debates, unlike Trump picking a lapdog like Pence.

That’s how the game works, and Biden knows that. He knows that if Harris is happy to say that to his face on national television, then she’ll have no problem dealing with Trump and Pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

:confused:
    keano_afc wrote: »

Funny timing on mentioning Gabbard, Kai Kahele just won the primary for her seat tonight and will be representing the Democratic party for it in November. Been a fairly rough year or so for her, having also had her lawsuit against Clinton dropped, and her one against Google thrown out. Makes you wonder what her next step might be, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Very strong choice.

Biden has a much better chance now.

If somehow he can manage to get the harder left and an obama term 1 level of black people out to vote.

Beyond promising to die the day after he’s inaugurated , Im giving donny T 4 more years with Harris 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

If somehow he can manage to get the harder left and an obama term 1 level of black people out to vote.

Beyond promising to die the day after he’s inaugurated , Im giving donny T 4 more years with Harris 2024

And your reasons for this conclusion are...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Kamala Harris announced

My God, this is an awful choice.

A VP is usually chosen to entice certain groups to the ticket. Biden is doing better with the white working class vote in the Rust Belt than Hillary. He won the primary in large part due to the huge support he has with the Black Democrat vote. His issue is the Latino vote and the Sanders camp.

Harris doesn't move the needle in favour of Biden in any way with any of the above groups. And she doesn't offer the possibility of moving the needle in any Swing State.

An awful choice - Democrats snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory yet again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Irishman80 wrote: »

A VP is usually chosen to entice certain groups to the ticket. Biden is doing better with the white working class vote in the Rust Belt than Hillary. He won the primary in large part due to the huge support he has with the Black Democrat vote. His issue is the Latino vote and the Sanders camp.

Harris doesn't move the needle in favour of Biden in any way with any of the above groups. And she doesn't offer the possibility of moving the needle in any Swing State.

An awful choice - Democrats snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory yet again.

Historically the VP choice means close to zero. It’s a complete myth that it brings in groups of voters.

I do think it matters a little more given Biden’s age, but only a tiny bit more.

That said. Biden is winning with every demographic, except non college educated white men. He was never going to get them on board.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Historically the VP choice means close to zero. It’s a complete myth that it brings in groups of voters.

I do think it matters a little more given Biden’s age, but only a tiny bit more.

That said. Biden is winning with every demographic, except non college educated white men. He was never going to get them on board.

This will be a 50/50 election which will be won at the margins. If Trump wins Florida and Ohio, holds Arizona and Pennsylvania, that will likely do for him.

Harris is a liability for Biden.

Any Sanders 'supporters' that aren't already voting for Biden would find a reason not to vote for Biden even if he made Sanders his VP pick. The democrat platform is already the most progressive in recent history and voting for Trump or sitting out at this stage makes them simple selfish attention seekers.

As for Latinos, if Trump calling Mexicans rapists or putting immigrant kids in cages hasn't turned them off a token VP pick wont either.

For Swing States, when has that actually made a difference in recent history? We've seen it fail time and again and there weren't any good options.

Harris is a strong, safe pick, the exact type you make when you're dominating the polls and don't want to scare away support or give the opposition a stick to beat you with

Any Sanders 'supporters' that aren't already voting for Biden would find a reason not to vote for Biden even if he made Sanders his VP pick. The democrat platform is already the most progressive in recent history and voting for Trump or sitting out at this stage makes them simple selfish attention seekers.

As for Latinos, if Trump calling Mexicans rapists or putting immigrant kids in cages hasn't turned them off a token VP pick wont either.

For Swing States, when has that actually made a difference in recent history? We've seen it fail time and again and there weren't any good options.

Harris is a strong, safe pick, the exact type you make when you're dominating the polls and don't want to scare away support or give the opposition a stick to beat you with

The election is 3 months away. Polls at this stage are meaningless. Harris is a Republican dream - you can be certain they've already opposition research built up on her time as a prosecutor in California.

The margin of victory in Florida will be +/- 1-2%. Probably similar in some of the Rust Belt States.

Harris was the worst pick I could have envisioned. Someone like the Atlanta Mayor would have been perfect.

• Advertisement

The election is 3 months away. Polls at this stage are meaningless. Harris is a Republican dream - you can be certain they've already opposition research built up on her time as a prosecutor in California.

The margin of victory in Florida will be +/- 1-2%. Probably similar in some of the Rust Belt States.

Harris was the worst pick I could have envisioned. Someone like the Atlanta Mayor would have been perfect.

Harris has gone through multiple state elections and a presidential primary and practically nothing came out against her. If Harris was a republican dream then they'd have a coherent attack for her today but they are all over the place - she's apparently both pro police and weak on crime and the most liberal senator while also a slap in the face to liberals. Like attacking Biden, they are flailing. Trump and his family even gave her money repeatedly. Trump was supposed to attack her tonight on Hannity and ended up talking about windmills.

As for the Atlanta Mayor, she has been in no way vetted properly and even if nothing was there she'd be much more 'a Republican dream'. Her being VP would dovetail perfectly into their narrative on Biden - Biden is one step from the grave and you have a terribly inexperienced person who would replace him, a mayor of the 37th biggest city in America who has only been in the role for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Link please because if its the press conference I think you are referring to, he clearly did not call all Mexicans rapists.

She’s a Republican Dream?

If she was so bad as AG why did Trump donate to her re-election campaign in 2011?

Are they going to go hard on her for being too soft with the police while at the same time trying to fuel the bull**** that the Democrats are anti-police and pro-looting? How will that work exactly? Her policies as a prosecutor were quite conservative!

How is she a ‘Republican Dream’, exactly? More silly soundbytes with zero basis or substance to them.

Kamala Harris is great when it comes to looking after victims of sexual assault. Hell, she even believes Jo Bidens accusers...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/flashback-kamala-harris-believed-women-who-accused-biden

“I believe them, and I respect them being able to tell their story and having the courage to do it,” the California senator told reporters in April 2019.

Except of course if your Tara Reade, in that case she simply goes silent...

https://www.axios.com/tara-reade-biden-sexual-assault-854e0c07-87a7-4f49-9409-c0ce47ab6876.html

"I tried to reach out to them, yes. ... Well, Kamala Harris is my representative, so I tried to reach out to her in particular for help, like I wanted to get a safe place to tell what happened. And I didn't get a response. So I kept, again, trying to get it out there," Reade said in the interview that aired Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Is that supposed to be a gotcha?? :confused:

Biden admitted that his was overly touchy with women, in a non-sexual manner, and he understood that it might have made them uncomfortable and said he'd stop.

Ahh that is very sweet of him. He's gonna stop being uncomfortably overly touchy with the wimmin. Hopefully also with children. That is very accommodating of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

:Kai Kahele just won the primary for her seat tonight and will be representing the Democratic party for it in November..

Just to be clear here, kahele won a primary to replace gabbard, who is stepping down, she didn't defeat gabbard, so it isn't like gabbard just got primaried. I've seen this story presented in this misleading way several times today, not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Link please because if its the press conference I think you are referring to, he clearly did not call all Mexicans rapists.

Foxtrol didn't say he called all Mexicans rapists.

Foxtrol didn't say he called all Mexicans rapists.

Really? I'd be happy to be corrected. The media have certainly gone with the angle that Trump meant all Mexicans.

Foxtrol, could you clarify what you meant by the above? Do you think Trump meant "all Mexicans" or a small subset of Mexicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

CNN
    Joe Biden made the pick that maximized his chances of continuing to make the race a straight referendum on Trump while also selecting someone whose resume suggests being ready to step in, if and when Biden decides to step aside. [/url]
    twitter.com/CNN/status/1293328417555918848

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Brian? wrote: »

Its really easy to want to believe trumps only appeal is dumb racist white men, but its just not true.

Florida is an important swing state, favourability among older jews is huge due to israel connections , thats a swing state vote getter.

Favourability among blue collar workers, even black ones is pretty sizeable ,

Recent tensions and the overwhelmingly violent response to them have sent a lot of middle class whites in states like illinois to the fence again, if biden or harris in any way align with blm thuggery this could become a vote getter for trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement