Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

Penn wrote: »
    I think the bet is based on if Biden got Covid-19 and died or was debilitated enough that he had to give up the nomination so Harris becomes the nominee.

It is an outside possibility given his age and the amount of travelling, meeting people etc that will happen as part of the campaign. I'm sure there'll be daily tests for everyone close to him and people he's due to meet, but it is still a possibility.

Based on their previous postings, I think they actively think there'll just be a switch out because of the dementia conspiracy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This Biden will not debate or will drop out reminds me of the way the Dems through about Trump in 2016. THey were sure HC would destroy him in the debates and he would drop out.

Of course we all know that since they set the expectations so low, anything other than a total disaster was then used by Trump to proclaim he had actually won the debates.

Are the GOP falling into the same trap. By building up Bidens apparent mental issues, if he comes out even relatively sane and together this will blow a massive hole in their campaign strategy. Basically all Biden has to do to continue to lead is not die or mentally collapse. WHich to be fair both candidates run the risk of given the virus and their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

statesaver wrote: »
    Does she still think Biden is racist ?

Any chance of evidence that she ever thought he was racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Any chance of evidence that she ever thought he was racist?

Just to quash it now, before the usual suspects show up with hearsay.

She did not call him a racist but she did rightfully call out some of his previous work, namely around busing students.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Leroy42 wrote: »
    This Biden will not debate or will drop out reminds me of the way the Dems through about Trump in 2016. THey were sure HC would destroy him in the debates and he would drop out.

Of course we all know that since they set the expectations so low, anything other than a total disaster was then used by Trump to proclaim he had actually won the debates.

Are the GOP falling into the same trap. By building up Bidens apparent mental issues, if he comes out even relatively sane and together this will blow a massive hole in their campaign strategy. Basically all Biden has to do to continue to lead is not die or mentally collapse. WHich to be fair both candidates run the risk of given the virus and their age.

Biden has decades of debate experience so while he may not fully understand the current situation he may be in, he'll still have the stock answers, that may be enough. If he has an episode on camera he may destroy himself.

If he starts rambling he could destroy his campaign.

Joe's campaign is successful when Joe's team runs it, Joe's campaign goes pair shaped when Joe talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Danzy wrote: »
    Biden has decades of debate experience so while he may not fully understand the current situation he may be in, he'll still have the stock answers, that may be enough. If he has an episode on camera he may destroy himself.

Joe's campaign is successful when Joe's team runs it, Joe's campaign goes pair shaped when Joe talks.

Another idiotic dig ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Another idiotic dig ffs

Birther-grade bull$hit at this stage

Danzy wrote: »

Strange that, since it hasn't gone pear shaped in any way. Including him doing primary debates which he performed very well in. And it was not as a result of him being lucky or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Penn wrote: »
    I think the bet is based on if Biden got Covid-19 and died or was debilitated enough that he had to give up the nomination so Harris becomes the nominee.

It is an outside possibility given his age and the amount of travelling, meeting people etc that will happen as part of the campaign. I'm sure there'll be daily tests for everyone close to him and people he's due to meet, but it is still a possibility.

Most bookies will settle on who gets the nomination next week which is Biden, so even if Harris replaces him in September etc then the bet is still a loser.

For the bet to win Biden needs to step down before next week.

You'd be better of betting on Harris to be next president if concerned about Biden lasting the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭joseywhales

American republicans are perplexed by facing an old white man. They can't attack his race or gender, all they've got left is age which is laughable given the incumbents age. I guess Harris is a great choice for VP, as they can foam at the mouth over both her race and gender, leaving Biden hopefully distanced from the sh*t throwing orgy. What a depressing state.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »

This is a really good post.

Biden is not as sharp as he once was for sure, but unless Biden collapses on stage then plenty will be watching the debates going "he's not that bad ffs"...

On 2016 yep agreed, Clinton beat him up on policy so much I nearly felt bad for him, but the most played clip for many was "you'd be in jail" line from trump. It was bollocks with no substance, but that stuck with Joe Public much more so than Clinton debating policy forensically. Trust me their was plenty of soft Trump voters who loved that line.

Sucks obviously but that's the world we live in.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    This is a really good post.

Biden is not as sharp as he once was for sure, but unless Biden collapses on stage then plenty will be watching the debates going "he's not that bad ffs"...

On 2016 yep agreed, Clinton beat him up on policy so much I nearly felt bad for him, but the most played clip for many was "you'd be in jail" line from trump. It was bollocks with no substance, but that stuck with Joe Public much more so than Clinton debating policy forensically. Trust me their was plenty of soft Trump voters who loved that line.

Sucks obviously but that's the world we live in.

I personally never understood the whole "Trump won the debates" thing. He never debated, he through out catchphrases and soundbites that you'd expect to hear at a WWE match with the usual slack jawed yokels heckling and cheering him on as he takes on "the man".

Hilary was foolish and let Trump take control of things, but he never really debated anything. Just gave the clapping seals some fish and loved the cheers he got.

To this day I am absolutely baffled that people seriously thought he cared about being President other than for the glory of saying he was president.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Is Slow Joe Trump's new nickname for Biden.

Catchy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just to quash it now, before the usual suspects show up with hearsay.

She did not call him a racist but she did rightfully call out some of his previous work, namely around busing students.

Which it was later shown that she largely agreed with it when questioned about it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think any path to a Biden victory is going to have to exclude Florida. With the proportion of elderly and Jews in Florida Im going to solidly commit that to Donald Trump. One of the first elections in a while where that won't be a swing state.

I disagree - Florida is absolutely still there for the taking for Biden.

However , Biden does not need Florida , Trump absolutely does though , If he loses Florida it's over he simply cannot win.

Biden will win every state that Clinton won last time out - There are none of them where Trump is competitive today.

So , hat gives Biden an almost guaranteed 232 EC votes , leaving him needing only 38 more votes to get.

Michigan (16 Votes) - Trump and the GOP have left the field here already , they are no longer spending any money in the State, so those votes are pretty much in the bag.

So that puts Biden on a very solid 248 right now , only 22 more to go.

Any 2 of Pennsylvania , Wisconsin, Ohio , Arizona , North Carolina , Missouri , Georgia or Florida and Biden is home.

As of today those States stand as follows

Pennsylvania - Biden +6.4
    Wisconsin - Biden 5.5
    Ohio - Biden +2.3
    Arizona - Biden +2
    North Carolina - Tie
    Missouri - Trump +6.4
    Georgia - Trump +1
    Florida - Biden +5

So Biden has leads outside the MOE in 3 States and narrow leads in 2 others and he only needs 2 of them to win.

Trump needs all of them to block Biden.

Of course , there's time for things to change , but it's running out fast for Trump - Early voting starts in about a month in many States.

The pressure is ALL on Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

da_miser wrote: »
    With the money in the bank with the Kamala VP winning bet, i just had to go for it, at worst i only make €10 on it.
    There is no doubt in my mind Joe is fading mentally, his handlers are doing everything to keep him from the public eye, he only comes out of his basement to do puff piece easy interviews and he still does not look good.
    He will be totally exposed in a debate, the Dems cant let that happen, if he dont debate, the Dems become a laughing stock and a fraud, so i can see Joe "catching" Covid19 and stepping aside to let Kamela take the Dems nomination, we will find out soon enough, but the odds where too tempting, 25/1 up to 28/1with a power up, i had to gamble.
    €1450 coming my way if i'm correct and only €10 profit if i'm wrong.

Mod: Quit it with the betting soundbites.

There is no way in hell Joe Biden isn't suffering from some form of memory loss or possibly worse. It's really bad management from the Dems to be putting him forward but I still think they will somehow get him out of the debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Say it aint so Krusty

There is no way in hell Joe Biden isn't suffering from some form of memory loss or possibly worse. It's really bad management from the Dems to be putting him forward but I still think they will somehow get him out of the debates.

Need it be pointed out again that Biden already participated in debates earlier in the year? For people trying to push nonsense about dementia, you'd think it would have been evident in those debates. On top of that, are you concerned by Trump saying the '1917' pandemic was responsible for the end of World War 2? If so concerned about Biden, you'd think that statement would be a massive red flag to you..... I don't think Trump has dementia btw but for a person pushing that narrative...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Joe isn't suffering from any memory loss or dementia because he's controlled by a group of Democratic numbskulls running around the empty shell of his head. But hey, I used all the same logic and evidence to come to that conclusion as you did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Advertisement

I personally never understood the whole "Trump won the debates" thing. He never debated, he through out catchphrases and soundbites that you'd expect to hear at a WWE match with the usual slack jawed yokels heckling and cheering him on as he takes on "the man".

Its what clicks with the masses which is more important. Policy debate sadly is irrelevant in America compared to snappy one liners.
    statesaver wrote: »

He's the worst of the worst. I wanted Bernie to win, but he allowing King on his campaign was a terrible error, total and utter grifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

May have been asked before, but how many on here will have a vote for November?

I will myself, though in a state that Biden will carry easily.

Which it was later shown that she largely agreed with it when questioned about it.

Not being a smart ass here, but I've looked around and can't find much on that, if anything. Can you link a source on it?

I know they did the usual candidate back and forth, but not anything where she actually called him a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The disarray from Republicans on their attacks on Kamala Harris are something. Nevermind Trump, who less than 2 weeks ago when asked specifically about her said nothing derogatory about her, he said she’d be a “fine choice”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-trump-says-kamala-harris-would-be-a-fine-choice-as-joe-bidens-running-mate/

Whereas when she was announced he called her “nasty” and “disrespectful” and “horrible”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/08/11/trump-repeatedly-calls-kamala-harris-nasty-and-horrible-in-white-house-briefing/amp/

More tangible disarray can be seen across the gamut, with Republicans unsure whether to say that her pick “burned Bernie bros” because she’s a Wall Street loyalist with no principles, or if her being so far left and liberal means the Bernistas have taken over Bidens campaign:

https://twitter.com/hawleymo/status/1293363881314852864?s=21

https://twitter.com/parscale/status/1293287491802484741?s=21

https://twitter.com/gopchairwoman/status/1293284496293466113?s=21

But within hours the RNC said the opposite in an email saying liberals were “in revolt” of the ticket:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1293368972046487552?s=21

Tucker Carlson on his show went completely bonkers too calling her a special interest hawk:

“[Susan] Rice is a hardened partisan,” Carlson said of another top VP contender who was passed over. “But she is not stupid, and more to the point, Rice has sincere beliefs whether you like them or not — and we don’t. But Kamala D. Harris is the opposite of that. Harris may be the single most transactional human being in America. If you’re choosing a presidential nominee, you think you’d want someone with a built-in constituency, a base of passionate voters you can count on Election Day. But as it turns out, that is the last thing the leaders of the modern Democratic Party wanted. They already had a candidate like that, in fact, his name was Bernie Sanders, and they did everything they could to stop him. Voters may not like Kamala D. Harris, but Wall Street does — just in case you’re wondering who is actually in charge.”

The RNC also can’t decide how to attack her record as a prosecutor, in the past she was “too tough” on crime, and now and RNC statement says she’d be too lenient on crime:

“Phony Kamala will abandon her own morals, as well as try to bury her record as a prosecutor, in order to appease the anti-police extremists controlling the Democrat Party.”

They have some serious doublethink issues to overcome in the last 82 days of this race. Pretty clear though her pick cuts the legs off Trumps scaremongering about “Bidens America” being a lawless wasteland - narrated over images of Trumps America

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Where does the wall street assertion come from? Does she want to lower regulation standards or something? I thought trumpists hate regulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

da_miser wrote: »
    She is fake, LARPING as a African American Christian to try get them to vote for her, that did not work out well for African Americans when she had power in California did it?
    She has jailed many African Americans, while she and her White Jewish family know nothing of what it is to be African American.
    Fool me ones shame on you , fool me twice shame on me, African Americans have been taken for granted by the Dems, i dont see them falling for it this time, big mistake picking her.
    Absolute Trump victory in November, the middle are sick of the Dems pandering to the Antifa types, both black and white want law and order, Kamela wont get the black vote, it will be a Trump landslide, no doubt about it.

its been said already, she is a republicans wet dream but I think you are missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The sad thing is that many die hard R voters will only see this and will have no interest in her accomplishments.

Never before in the history of elections has anyone been picked more strongly than for their gender and race. Biden would have been crucified by his own party on every last stake if he had picked 1) another man 2) someone white. There would have been outrage even if it was Elizabeth Warren, 100% guaranteed.

Both sides are obsessed with identity politics and like all politicians couldn't give a damn about the actual issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its what clicks with the masses which is more important. Policy debate sadly is irrelevant in America compared to snappy one liners.

He's the worst of the worst. I wanted Bernie to win, but he allowing King on his campaign was a terrible error, total and utter grifter.

i agree, I donated to Bernie and I donate to the Intercept, but he is a constant embarrassment and a fraud.

Not being a smart ass here, but I've looked around and can't find much on that, if anything. Can you link a source on it?

I know they did the usual candidate back and forth, but not anything where she actually called him a racist.

She didn't. In fact she said she believed he wasn't , when she attacked him for working with racists yo get legislation passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Biden and Harris just gone live now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=324akR35czE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement