Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I disagree - Florida is absolutely still there for the taking for Biden.

However , Biden does not need Florida , Trump absolutely does though , If he loses Florida it's over he simply cannot win.

Biden will win every state that Clinton won last time out - There are none of them where Trump is competitive today.

So , hat gives Biden an almost guaranteed 232 EC votes , leaving him needing only 38 more votes to get.

Michigan (16 Votes) - Trump and the GOP have left the field here already , they are no longer spending any money in the State, so those votes are pretty much in the bag.

So that puts Biden on a very solid 248 right now , only 22 more to go.

Any 2 of Pennsylvania , Wisconsin, Ohio , Arizona , North Carolina , Missouri , Georgia or Florida and Biden is home.

As of today those States stand as follows

Pennsylvania - Biden +6.4
    Wisconsin - Biden 5.5
    Ohio - Biden +2.3
    Arizona - Biden +2
    North Carolina - Tie
    Missouri - Trump +6.4
    Georgia - Trump +1
    Florida - Biden +5

So Biden has leads outside the MOE in 3 States and narrow leads in 2 others and he only needs 2 of them to win.

Trump needs all of them to block Biden.

Of course , there's time for things to change , but it's running out fast for Trump - Early voting starts in about a month in many States.

The pressure is ALL on Trump.

Just a quick reply to say that your posts are an antidote to the ignorance from certain posters on this thread. Always well written and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trump's press conference at the moment is comical. He's showing a load of charts with squiggly lines and with no labels on the X and Y axis. These charts are meaningless but I'm sure his base love it..... squiggly line go up!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I’m not even talking about wit or intellect. Neither candidate scores highly there. But Trump is obviously capable of paying attention, speaking comprehensibly (without slurring over words) or rambling incoherently. When he speaks extemporaneously he manages to stay pretty engaged and doesn’t zone out. In other words the man’s brain seems to work just as well it as it did 10 years ago.

Watch videos of Biden from when he first became VP and try and tell me the guy has not declined noticeably.

Whatever you think about Trump’s intellect or aptitude for the job, Trump has shown no sign of mental decline or inability to withstand the stresses of the office.

Joe Biden aged substantially in his 8 years as VP, he’s shown stress on the campaign trail, the presidency will finish him off.

And don’t give me the he’s only four years older thing, people decline at different rates. This isn’t about age.
    Trump has best wordssss.

Whatever you think about Trump’s intellect or aptitude for the job, Trump has shown no sign of mental decline or inability to withstand the stresses of the office.

You must be kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

But Trump is obviously capable of paying attention, speaking comprehensibly (without slurring over words) or rambling incoherently. When he speaks extemporaneously he manages to stay pretty engaged and doesn’t zone out.

lols

I challenge you to produce a clip of trump speaking coprehensibly for 5 minutes on any topic other than himself or how mean people are to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Congrats Kamala, first Indian VP candidate

Neither candidate scores highly there. But Trump is obviously capable of paying attention, speaking comprehensibly (without slurring over words) or rambling incoherently. When he speaks extemporaneously he manages to stay pretty engaged and doesn’t zone out. In other words the man’s brain seems to work just as well it as it did 10 years ago.

I can only assume that you haven't watched Trump speak in any capacity for a long time or else this is brilliant satire. There is no other logical explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

gmisk wrote: »
    Rasmussen....lol....it is pretty much regarded as garbage and the least accurate of the major pollsters.
    It also has a well established pro GOP bias....so yeah...I wouldn't even take it with grain of salt never mind a pinch.

If you have an issue with the methodology of the study in question, you’re welcome to point it out or provide evidence of your own.

It was a nationwide phone and online survey that polled people from both parties.

MediaBiasFactCheck ranks Rasmussen as slightly right of centre in it’s editorial stance and “HIGH” in terms of factual reporting. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/rasmussen-reports/%3famp

Since announcing Harris as VP, the Biden campaign have raised 30 million dollars. So clearly not being viewed with concern.
    biko wrote: »

The fact you're trying to do this in a disparaging way is a bit sad. She's got a mixed background...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’m not even going to quote that post to give the poster the attention they so clearly crave.

Laughable. The man who looks bored when someone else is talking is the one capable of paying attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

pjohnson wrote: »
    And I'm 99% sure you thought Biden had completely lost the race BEFORE he picked Harris.

I think Biden's team will have made a calculated decision.

The most visceral opposition to Harris is from young black people, especially young men, they also do not tend to vote.

Harris can appeal though to moderate Republicans, who may like a candidate who makes Maggie Thatcher seem like a life long opponent of hang em high justice.

Is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

biko wrote: »

Ah are the Birthers crawling out again?

we shall see ..

You (like Trump) appear to be 1 dot short of an ellipsis.

To the poster who reckons Trump is coherent and doesn't ramble etc. This literally happened about 5 minutes ago. Take a look at the presser right now, Trump is rambling and repeating himself. He makes Biden look like an exceptional intellect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

May have been asked before, but how many on here will have a vote for November?

I will myself, though in a state that Biden will carry easily.

I will, but I'm in a more red state so it's not likely that Trump is going to miss my vote.

What surprises me, and I mentioned this to the wife yesterday as I was driving around, is the signage. Although this is a red state, I'm in a purpley-blue city which voted Clinton 54-40. However, I have not seen a single Biden sticker or flag, but a good number of Trump ones in my driving around. I would have expected to see at least some. I've seen Beto stickers (which haven't been removed since the senate race), but nothing for Biden. Can't explain it.

He says ‘fatilities’ twice...

Once is a slip, twice is just not concentrating on what you’re reading.

lols

I challenge you to produce a clip of trump speaking coprehensibly for 5 minutes on any topic other than himself or how mean people are to him.

Oh god, I had a feeling people wouldn’t be able to understand basic English when I wrote that post.

When I say Trump can speak comprehensibly, believe me, I’m not paying him any compliments.
    By “comprehensible”, I simply mean that the guy says words and sentences that can be understood by the people he’s speaking to. And that he can speak without distracting himself or zoning out. Biden struggles at this.

This is why I made a clear distinction in my last post. I’m NOT talking about Trump’s aptitude/knowledge/intellect. I’m talking about basic cognitive ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

People vote according they’re beliefs. Whether they’re right or wrong doesn’t matter. A majority of Americans believe Harris is likely to succeed Biden in the next fours years.

Every moderate/independent in the swing states who would have found it easy to vote Biden had he picked a genuine moderate like Amy Klobuchar or a non-entity like Susan Rice are now going to reconsider Trump when faced with the prospect of a radical progressive like Harris becoming president if they vote for Biden.

You’ve got to be kidding right? Physically, Biden might look better than Trump, but mentally there’s no comparison.

I’m not even talking about wit or intellect. Neither candidate scores highly there. But Trump is obviously capable of paying attention, speaking comprehensibly (without slurring over words) or rambling incoherently. When he speaks extemporaneously he manages to stay pretty engaged and doesn’t zone out. In other words the man’s brain seems to work just as well it as it did 10 years ago.

Watch videos of Biden from when he first became VP and try and tell me the guy has not declined noticeably.

Joe Biden aged substantially in his 8 years as VP, he’s shown stress on the campaign trail, the presidency will finish him off.

And don’t give me the he’s only four years older thing, people decline at different rates. This isn’t about age.

You are stating a majority of americans from a poll done by rasmussen which polled a total of 1000 people in a country of a population of 330 million.

Even by Trump standards thats a massive stretch.

Oh god, I had a feeling people wouldn’t be able to understand basic English when I wrote that post.

When I say Trump can speak comprehensibly, believe me, I’m not paying him any compliments.
    By “comprehensible”, I simply mean that the guy says words and sentences that can be understood by the people he’s speaking to. And that he can speak without distracting himself or zoning out. Biden struggles at this.

This is why I made a clear distinction in my last post. I’m NOT talking about Trump’s aptitude/knowledge/intellect. I’m talking about basic cognitive ability.

Well, you should be able to point to such zoning out. Eg in his speech this evening. Pretty sure I can find far more issues in terms of Trump's delivery this evening... Also in terms of saying a 1917 pandemic helped end WW2, what can I draw from nonsense such as that?

I'll take that as declined, then. no surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So when he said
    ‘The closest thing [to coronavirus] is in 1917 they say, the great pandemic.

It certainly was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people, probably ended the Second World War, all the soldiers were sick. That was a terrible situation"}/quote]

This was good "basic cognitive ability"?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    To the poster who reckons Trump is coherent and doesn't ramble etc. This literally happened about 5 minutes ago. Take a look at the presser right now, Trump is rambling and repeating himself. He makes Biden look like an exceptional intellect.

I didn’t say he was coherent. I said he was comprehensible. I used that word deliberately.

Trump is always more likely to make basic mistakes on teleprompter or prepared remarks than when he speaks extemporaneously. This is true with literally anybody who speaks publicly by the way.

He almost never makes mistakes like that when he’s ad-libbing. That’s a exactly the cognitive ability I was referring to. Trump is capable of being much more engaged without his teleprompter (like any good public speaker). Joe Biden NEEDS his teleprompter or he flounders.

I think we're supposed to conclude, the fact that he managed to put the words together is a good sign. Meanwhile this evening's speech by Biden, was completely normal. He didn't even once dip into the surrealism that Trump draws on for his material...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I didn’t say he was coherent. I said he was comprehensible. I used that word deliberately.

Trump is always more likely to make basic mistakes on teleprompter or prepared remarks than when he speaks extemporaneously. This is true with literally anybody who speaks publicly by the way.

He almost never makes mistakes like that when he’s ad-libbing. That’s a exactly the cognitive ability I was referring to. Trump is capable of being much more engaged without his teleprompter (like any good public speaker). Joe Biden NEEDS his teleprompter or he flounders.

Last time his teleprompter went tits up he claimed that the air force had taken over the airports during the civil war!

Tippex wrote: »
    You are stating a majority of americans from a poll done by rasmussen which polled a total of 1000 people in a country of a population of 330 million.

Even by Trump standards thats a massive stretch.

I’m guessing you’ve never heard of a random sample?

Erm, Trump didn't have a teleprompter when he did his axios interview... He engaged in a pretty haphazard way and didn't come across as capable at all... He started pointing and claiming the US was doing better than everyone. Which is his default but it was not a sign of a sharp mind and that's not remotely claiming he's in decline, simply he isn't capable.

Last time his teleprompter went tits up he claimed that the air force had taken over the airports during the civil war!

For the third time, I’m making a distinction between his knowledge/intellect and basic cognitive ability.

Erm, Trump didn't have a teleprompter when he did his axios interview... He engaged in a pretty haphazard way and didn't come across as capable at all... He started pointing and claiming the US was doing better than everyone. Which is his default but it was not a sign of a sharp mind and that's not remotely claiming he's in decline, simply he isn't capable.

‘We are lower than... the world.’

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

If Biden had talked utter babbling nonsense like that you'd be screaming for him to be committed to an institution.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    ‘We are lower than... the world.’

"We're last, meaning we're first".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement