Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I’m guessing you’ve never heard of a random sample?

Yes I work on statistical analysis on a daily basis and fully aware of a random sample but you never stated the size of the poll but used the term “the majority of americans” as opposed to the majority of a sample of 1000 people polled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I didn’t say he was coherent. I said he was comprehensible. I used that word deliberately.

So, not coherent, but comprehensible. I'll leave that there with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

For the third time, I’m making a distinction between his knowledge/intellect and basic cognitive ability.

What does that mean? That Trump hasn't lost his marbles but he knows f**kall?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Tippex wrote: »
    Yes I work on statistical analysis on a daily basis and fully aware of a random sample but you never stated the size of the poll but used the term “the majority of americans” as opposed to the majority of a sample of 1000 people polled.

And if the poll is a true random sample, we can reasonably assume it’s representative of a majority of Americans.

feargale wrote: »

Yes. That’s exactly what I meant. You’re the only one who’s managed to understand it. Congratulations. You’re smarter than the average Boards poster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I didn’t say he was coherent. I said he was comprehensible. I used that word deliberately.

Trump is always more likely to make basic mistakes on teleprompter or prepared remarks than when he speaks extemporaneously. This is true with literally anybody who speaks publicly by the way.

He almost never makes mistakes like that when he’s ad-libbing. That’s a exactly the cognitive ability I was referring to. Trump is capable of being much more engaged without his teleprompter (like any good public speaker). Joe Biden NEEDS his teleprompter or he flounders.

So you're saying that the Teleprompter told him that the Spanish flu ended World War 2????

Or when he talked about the Oranges of a Story?

Or when he said that the British took over the airports during the War of Independence?

You know there's a website selling postcards with all the utterly dumb stuff he's said right?

So, not coherent, but comprehensible. I'll leave that there with you.

The two words mean different things you know. Coherent means it’s logically consistent, while comprehensible means it’s capable of being understood.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

feargale wrote: »
    Yes. That’s exactly what I meant. You’re the only one who’s managed to understand it. Congratulations. You’re smarter than the average Boards poster.

So what?

Your position is that you'd rather have an absolute Cretin that can talk utter bollocks with confidence over an intelligent man with a stammer that might have lost a step?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Do you have a Rasmussen poll to support that?

Tippex wrote: »

I'm sure you do. Nothing wrong with that sample size. The "estimate" is nearly always implicit. Even our experts say the R value is 1.6 instead of the estimated R value.

Rasmussen however are bad pollsters, Nate Silver (538.com) only rates them C+ with a very large house bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

For the third time, I’m making a distinction between his knowledge/intellect and basic cognitive ability.

So are you saying that because he's so unbelievably dumb there's no possibility of cognitive decline because there was nothing there to begin with? This is something to celebrate?

The logic of Trump supporters continues to baffle.

I'm sure you do. Nothing wrong with that sample size. The "estimate" is nearly always implicit. Even our experts say the R value is 1.6 instead of the estimated R value.

Rasmussen however are bad pollsters, Nate Silver (538.com) only rates them C+ with a very large house bias.

And in fact the "Rasmussen" of Rasmussen polling has left the company and gone out on his own.

He personally has a higher accuracy rating than the Company named after him.

In fairness, you did also claim he's a strong public speaker which is categorically untrue based on the nonsense that emerges from him....

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    So you're saying that the Teleprompter told him that the Spanish flu ended World War 2????

Or when he talked about the Oranges of a Story?

Or when he said that the British took over the airports during the War of Independence?

You know there's a website selling postcards with all the utterly dumb stuff he's said right?

Are people being deliberately obtuse?

I’m saying those are mistakes Trump wouldn’t have made if he were smarter or more knowledgable but he was able to say those things comprehensibly is my point.

You keep citing the content of Trump’s speech a counter example to what I’m saying. I’m not talking about his content. I’m talking about his ability to speak for extended periods without drifting off and forgetting where he is.

That’s a basic cognitive ability that people gradually lose as they get older. Some lose it faster than others. My point is that Trump destroys Biden in that category regardless of all the other stuff.

The two words mean different things you know. Coherent means it’s logically consistent, while comprehensible means it’s capable of being understood.

You do realise you can't be understood if you are contradicting yourself. But I guess you know the meaning of covfefe.

Still waiting for the 5 min. clip.

In fairness, you did also claim he's a strong public speaker which is categorically untrue based on the nonsense that emerges from him....

A lot of nonsense came out of Hitler too. And he’s ranked among the best public speakers of the 20th century.

Once again, this isn’t about content it’s about ability.

what's the difference between intellect and cognitive ability?

You do realise you can't be understood if you are contradicting yourself. But I guess you know the meaning of covfefe.

Still waiting for the 5 min. clip.

How am I contradicting myself?

When did I promise you a five minute clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Are people being deliberately obtuse?

I’m saying those are mistakes Trump wouldn’t have made if he were smarter or more knowledgable but he was able to say those things comprehensibly is my point.

You keep citing the content of Trump’s speech a counter example to what I’m saying. I’m not talking about his content. I’m talking about his ability to speak for extended periods without drifting off and forgetting where he is.

That’s a basic cognitive ability that people gradually lose as they get older. Some lose it faster than others. My point is that Trump destroys Biden in that category regardless of all the other stuff.

no notobtuse, definetly notobtuse

A lot of nonsense came out of Hitler too. And he’s ranked among the best public speakers of the 20th century.

Once again, this isn’t about content it’s about ability.

So you are saying you value Style over Substance??

What he says or does doesn't really matter as long as he looks and sounds good doing it??

That right there is the story of American Politics in a nutshell.

It does capture Trump perfectly though - "All mouth and no trousers" as the saying goes.

• Advertisement

what's the difference between intellect and cognitive ability?

If we’re talking about intellect, you might ask “Is Trump intelligent enough to be a good president?”

If we’re talking about cognitive ability, you might ask “Does Trump’s brain work?”

So you are saying you value Style over Substance??

What he says or does doesn't really matter as long as he looks and sounds good doing it??

That right there is the story of American Politics in a nutshell.

It does capture Trump perfectly though - "All mouth and no trousers" as the saying goes.

No it’s not style. It’s pretty basic. I’m taking the fact that Trump can speak for extended periods of time without forgetting he’s alive as an indicator of basic cognitive ability that Biden appears to be lacking.

If we’re talking about intellect, you might ask “Is Trump intelligent enough to be a good president?”

If we’re talking about cognitive ability, you might ask “Does Trump’s brain work?”

And the answer to both is no.

How am I contradicting myself?

When did I promise you a five minute clip?

From this reply I'm inferring you don't know what it means to be not logically consistent.

The answer to both questions is categorically No.

Trump is not intelligent in any measurable way , he has a level of cunning or "street smarts" if you will , but it's not intelligence.

Nor does his brain work like a normal person - He is utterly incapable of empathy or any normal human emotion outside of anger and lust.

His first, last and only thought is of himself - Every single action and deed is based solely on how it benefits him or how he can hurt those he thinks "wronged" him

On every conceivable level he is totally completely and utterly unsuited to any position of authority over others.

I'll take a good man that *maybe* thinks/operates a little slower than he used to over a quick-thinking vindictive amoral charlatan every day of the week

So what?

Your position is that you'd rather have an absolute Cretin that can talk utter bollocks with confidence over an intelligent man with a stammer that might have lost a step?

My position is simply that the most basic pre-requisite for being president would be having a fully functional brain.

And I’m using Trump’s speaking ability as an indicator of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Well that's obviously no and no.

Well I wouldn't need to ask does Trumps brain work.

For the rest of us cognative ability means fluid intelligence. A measure of our ability to learn new sh1t.

My position is simply that the most basic pre-requisite for being president would be having a fully functional brain.

And I’m using Trump’s speaking ability as an indicator of this.

I think a lot of people would appear to have a different definition of "functioning" than yours.

Verbal Diarrhea is not indicative of brain function.

• Advertisement

The answer to both questions is categorically No.
    Actually the answer to one of them is “yes”.

This is what the cognitive test Trump took was for. The one with the elephants. People were mocking Trump by saying the test wasn’t hard and that was the whole point. The test is designed to check if you’re basic cognitive faculties are in decline or not. In other words, does your brain work properly.

When Trump was trying to goad Biden into taking the test, it wasn’t to show Trump was a genius but rather to expose Biden’s cognitive decline.
    Trump is not intelligent in any measurable way , he has a level of cunning or "street smarts" if you will , but it's not intelligence.

Nor does his brain work like a normal person - He is utterly incapable of empathy or any normal human emotion outside of anger and lust.

His first, last and only thought is of himself - Every single action and deed is based solely on how it benefits him or how he can hurt those he thinks "wronged" him

On every conceivable level he is totally completely and utterly unsuited to any position of authority over others.

I'll take a good man that *maybe* thinks/operates a little slower than he used to over a quick-thinking vindictive amoral charlatan every day of the week

**yawn**

Do you really need to be so hysterical?
    I know you don’t like him but c’mon, you’re TDS is showing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement