Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Overheal wrote: »
    I have no interest in arguing that case. If you do, you're more than welcome to name 3 things Trump has done that has had a positive impact on the people of the US. If you want to argue it, argue it yourself, nobody is taken in by your sophomoric reverse psychology.

What is actually juvenile is avoiding the issues that Americans will have to confront in the coming months as they decide who to vote for....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,773 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

biko wrote: »
    Either way. Come December 2020 Trump will probably still be your president.
    salmocab wrote: »
    Come December 2020 Trump will definitely still be president

On what basis?
    • Trailing badly in the polls.
    • Highest unemployment since the great depression.
    • Nearly 3 times the deaths US experienced in Vietnam in 5 months.
    • Hasn't acted on reports Russia was paying bounties for US soldiers being killed.
    • Has placed a lackey in the Post Office to try to prevent people from voting.
    • Pardoned a criminal who said that if he wasn't pardoned, he would flip on the President.
    • Republican groups are actively campaigning against him.

What evidence is there that he is likely to win aside from you guys hoping he will?

I'm not saying he definitely won't because there is time to go yet, but can you support your assertions with any argument?

Edit: As correctly pointed out, the inauguration does not take place until January 2021. I would still be interested in responses to this if you feel it will be a reinauguration on that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,078 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not certain if Trump truly has delusions about his hair being great or if he just recognises it as part of his brand. Those two things could be the same in his mind, though.

It's more the weird fake tan line that gets me. That just smacks of someone who's not all there. It's orange face and then milky white jowls. It's like he applies it himself without even bothering to check it in a mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

On what basis?
    • Hasn't acted on reports Russia was paying bounties for US soldiers being killed.
    • Pardoned a criminal who said that if he wasn't pardoned, he would flip on the President.

What evidence is there that he is likely to win aside from you guys hoping he will?

I'm not saying he definitely won't because there is time to go yet, but can you support your assertions with any argument?

He will still be president because inauguration president Biden won't take place until January:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,681 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is actually juvenile is avoiding the issues that Americans will have to confront in the coming months as they decide who to vote for....

Then stop avoiding them and pretending that you are waiting for others to make your argument for you, wholesale. If you want to bring it up, bring it up, quit playing infantile games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

On what basis?

He will be president in December unless something happens to him.

Then stop avoiding them and pretending that you are waiting for others to make your argument for you, wholesale. If you want to bring it up, bring it up, quit playing infantile games.

If you can't name three policies that have had a positive impact on the people of the US then it explains how you can't see what is coming in November, it is not an infantile game to ask a person who clearly has very strong opinions on a President to name three policies....it demonstrates a complete inability to view a sitting President in an objective manner!!!

If you can't name three policies that have had a positive impact on the people of the US then it explains how you can't see what is coming in November, it is not an infantile game to ask a person who clearly has very strong opinions on a President to name three policies....it demonstrates a complete inability to view a sitting President in an objective manner!!!
    Do you think the death of 200,000 Americans will weigh on people's minds in November?

Do you think the death of 200,000 Americans will weigh on people's minds in November?

Go away with your hyperbole....

Is he responsible for every death in the US every year?

Are Governors responsible for every death in their state?

He's responsible for the complete lack of a federal response. He's responsible for pushing states to open early. He's responsible for making masks into a political issue. He handled it disastrously and continues to, he's even gone as far as attacking the experts. So no, I do think his response to it matters. He basically treated it as a joke from early on and seems to just expect it to disappear all on its own. Then claims their response was great.

And voters will view it as an important issue come November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Can you?

Can you list three very positive things Trump has done since he took office that has had positive impact on the people of the US?

I’m not the one saying he’s the peace president.
    So why would I do that?

What is hyperbole about 200,000 dead Americans? :confused:

You'd be kidding yourself if you thought voters aren't thinking about it.

Again it's not my position to defend Trump. If you want to name those 3 policies you go for it. I won't be. That's separate from 'what I see coming in November.'

I’m not the one saying he’s the peace president.
    So why would I do that?

Why wouldn't you list three positive policies Trump is responsible for?

It's just a question, you clearly have strong opinions on the President?

Why wouldn't you?

It's just a question?

What is hyperbole about 200,000 dead Americans? :confused:

You'd be kidding yourself if you thought voters aren't thinking about it.

Again it's not my position to defend Trump. If you want to name those 3 policies you go for it. I won't be. That's separate from 'what I see coming in November.'

I completely agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

According to Trump himself, yes. Of course we need to update those covid numbers now to 5,500,000 cases and 172,000 dead.

g3i6u4c1tfq41.png

172k that we know of. Last week the CDC data showed over 200,700 deaths in 2020 that were out of sync with year over year trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not every death but certainly he is responsible for the terrible handling of the Covid response.

Sure he even says so himself

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/398887965302091776?s=20

Why wouldn't you?

It's just a question?

I think he has been a fantastic president for the black community.

His economic policies, specifically targeting black unemployment have been very effective.

His first step act has had a positive impact on the severe sentencing many blacks have been subjected to under previous administrations.

I think he is the first President in a long time that hasn't gone to war with some poor nation.

I think his work in the middle east has been very effective.

Again.....I’m not the one claiming he’s the peace president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

His economic policies, specifically targeting black unemployment have been very effective.
    Maybe you meant, "HAD." The economy is in the sh1tter in the US and may take decades to recover. This endless 'he did great for the economy' is NONSENSE. The past doesn't matter when it comes to the economy.

Like the old joke says, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?"
    His first step act has had a positive impact on the severe sentencing many blacks have been subjected to under previous administrations.
    That, too, remains to be seen. Always amusing an openly racist President like Trump wins brownie points with his supporters because he did something about prison sentences and crime for blacks. What about the causes? What about better jobs? What about better schools and opportunities? Nah - but prison stuff, sure, great.

It has a positive impact. His assault on health care prior to Covid and relentless nonsense about Obamacare have had a disproportionate impact on poor and minorities.
    I think he is the first President in a long time that hasn't gone to war with some poor nation.

Is the middle east less, or more stable, since he became POTUS? IMO at best no worse but arguably worse. Just ask the Kurds. Russia runs Syria. Iran's not really balked and they're free to play with fissile material. Egypt's descended into dictatorship. The UAE/Israel thing is cosmetic.

Again.....I’m not the one claiming he’s the peace president.

I never said you were...I'm just asking you a question, feel free to throw a cleverly disguised insult at me for asking you that question or just ignore me, whatever it's just an online forum, and it is just a question.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Maybe you meant, "HAD." The economy is in the sh1tter in the US and may take decades to recover. This endless 'he did great for the economy' is NONSENSE. The past doesn't matter when it comes to the economy.

Like the old joke says, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?"

That, too, remains to be seen. Always amusing an openly racist President like Trump wins brownie points with his supporters because he did something about prison sentences and crime for blacks. What about the causes? What about better jobs? What about better schools and opportunities? Nah - but prison stuff, sure, great.

It has a positive impact. His assault on health care prior to Covid and relentless nonsense about Obamacare have had a disproportionate impact on poor and minorities.

Is the middle east less, or more stable, since he became POTUS? IMO at best no worse but arguably worse. Just ask the Kurds. Russia runs Syria. Iran's not really balked and they're free to play with fissile material. Egypt's descended into dictatorship. The UAE/Israel thing is cosmetic.

Fair enough, well thought out responses there, food for thought as they say...Americans will be mulling many many issues in the coming months...

I suppose you could blame Trump for locking down the country and destroying the economy in the process...it's a bit of a stretch but what do I know?

I never said you were...I'm just asking you a question, feel free to throw a cleverly disguised insult at me for asking you that question or just ignore me, whatever it's just an online forum, and it is just a question.

Where is the insult?

What policies specifically targeted black unemployment?

It wasn't his. It was Senate co-sponsored, A Senate Resolution, and one that Trump had to be lobbied into supporting by Jared Kushner of all people. You give him far too much credit, he neither was an architect or a fan until he was convinced it would help him politically to sign it. Though the act itself is a good thing, sure.

Not for a lack of trying. The military strike on Soleimani would have been a precursor to a war with Iran - one Trump would have fully gone for if he thought it would win him support. Instead it mercifully backfired and the public and international outcry was impressive. He knew pursuing more tensions with Iran at that point weren't going to get him what he wanted.

Any specifics?

Where is the insult?

I never said there was...a previous poster threw a thinly disguised insult for asking the same question is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

"fantastic President for the Black community"

This is something Trump himself loves to tout of course, saying he's done "more for Blacks" than any President apart from maybe Lincoln. Yet the Black community overwhelmingly polls against him......why do you think that is, Silentcorner?

He also narrowly escaped a war with Iran. In terms of jobs rising for the black community, that's been consistently increasing since prior to Trump. What exact economic policies did he enact that helped? It's a bit telling when all the benefits seem to amount things he shouts on a stage which are rarely backed up by reality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/19/evaluating-what-trump-has-done-black-america-by-his-own-standards/

On top of that, what exactly has he done to address issues such as the behaviour of the police? If anything he has egged them on to treat both protesters and black people like ****. The recent protests were inflamed by him sending in the troops basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I never said there was...a previous poster threw a thinly disguised insult for asking the same question is all.

Seems a theme going with Trump supporters that they 'get offended' by the tone of a post, rather than disputing the post's actual contents

• Advertisement

"fantastic President for the Black community"

This is something Trump himself loves to tout of course, saying he's done "more for Blacks" than any President apart from maybe Lincoln. Yet the Black community overwhelmingly polls against him......why do you think that is, Silentcorner?

Because I don't believe the polls...I believe that the Democratic Party have lost control of the black vote just like they have lost control of the working class vote...which is why they are marching in cities shouting BLM in a vain attempt to remain relevant to an important demographic....I can't see Biden inspiring them to vote Democrat that is for sure.

The black voters will get to make their decision in November...until then we will just have to wait and see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement