Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Comments

ELM327 wrote: »
    Due to Biden's age and advanced dementia he's likely a one termer.

Your monotonous use of this line is also a symptom of advanced dementia. Funny that.

Also, you have no clue what advanced dementia is if you think he is showing signs of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Latest CNN poll has Biden 50 vs 46 nationally and Biden leading by 1 across the battleground states. That's a double digit shift in a couple of months.

Harris will end up being a bad pick imo, not because she's black or she's a woman, because she's fake and people can see through it. Not a likeable person, wagging her finger and talking down to people anytime there's a hearing in Congress. She was doing so badly in the primary she quit long before her home state of Californias votes were counted.

Biden still wins I think in Nov but I thought it would be a white wash - the more he appears in public the more weird statements he makes the better it is for Trump, but time is running out and Covid is still protecting him.

Which CNN poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Biden still wins I think in Nov but I thought it would be a white wash - the more he appears in public the more weird statements he makes the better it is for Trump, but time is running out and Covid is still protecting him.

The weird thing is why is this an issue for Bien but not Trump. Why is Trump given a free pass on saying anything but those same people have a issue with Biden.

Makes no sense to me, unless of course the 'issue' with Biden is, like with HC, just an excuse to vote for Trump knowing all the baggage he carries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But the system in the US means that voters need to pick a side. It may well fall down to 'least worst' but there is no other options. (one could not vote, but that achieves nothing and simply removes any responsibility from the voter).
    Well the system also means the politicians need to pick amongst themselves who is getting put forward- the question being how the heck did they end up with this lot? It's funny to look at the abysmal record of NATO regime change around the world and then look at our own regimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The weird thing is why is this an issue for Bien but not Trump. Why is Trump given a free pass on saying anything but those same people have a issue with Biden.

Makes no sense to me, unless of course the 'issue' with Biden is, like with HC, just an excuse to vote for Trump knowing all the baggage he carries.

Maybe it is a double standard, I don't know, but Biden has said some really strange things.

If you don't vote for me you ain't black.
    Black community isn't diverse like the Latino one.
    Asks a black abc news anchor if hes a junkie and if he did cocaine before the interview etc.

Then there's the frequent incoherent ramblings and losing his train of thought. Trump is out there everyday, Biden isn't and that's going to hurt him

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndySpanglish/status/1294422681014751245

That is a question for another day though. The system is not going to change before November 3rd and as such the choice is between POTUS that has performed miserably and increased the divisions within his won country, or a man that has has years of cross party work, including playing a role in getting bipartisan support for the health care reform that was so good that even with control over each of the House, Senate and WH, Trump could not come up with anything better.

You may not like the choice, but that is the only choice that people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maybe it is a double standard, I don't know, but Biden has said some really strange things.

If you don't vote for me you ain't black.
    Black community isn't diverse like the Latino one.
    Asks a black abc news anchor if hes a junkie and if he did cocaine before the interview etc.

Then there's the frequent incoherent ramblings and losing his train of thought. Trump is out there everyday, Biden isn't and that's going to hurt him

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndySpanglish/status/1294422681014751245

we have discussed that before and it didnt happen.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Except that's not quite what happened now is it?

The exact context and quote are below

The point being - Suggesting that he had dementia and that the absence of test results refuting it was evidence that he had was akin to someone suggesting that the reporter was a junkie just because he couldn't show the results of a test proving otherwise.

A clunky analogy for sure - But not a slur on the reporter or his race in any way shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

we have discussed that before and it didnt happen.

What?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/joe-biden-ask-reporter-junkie/

During a panel interview with journalists of color, presumed U.S. Democratic 2020 presidential nominee Joe Biden was prodded by an interviewer to comment on whether he would take a cognitive test to prove his mental fitness, to which the former U.S. vice president reportedly replied, “Are you a junkie?”

After a clip of the interview went viral in August 2020, Snopes readers inquired about the veracity of the claim, which we determined to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/joe-biden-ask-reporter-junkie/

During a panel interview with journalists of color, presumed U.S. Democratic 2020 presidential nominee Joe Biden was prodded by an interviewer to comment on whether he would take a cognitive test to prove his mental fitness, to which the former U.S. vice president reportedly replied, “Are you a junkie?”

After a clip of the interview went viral in August 2020, Snopes readers inquired about the veracity of the claim, which we determined to be true.

i even included a quote of what he said but i include it again so you can read what he said in context.
    “No, I haven’t taken a test. Why the hell would I take a test? Come on, man. That’s like saying to you before you got on this program if you had taken a test [on] were you taking cocaine or not?” Biden said. “What do you think, huh? Are you a junkie?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: The 'dementia' angle has been done to death at this stage, and there have already been mod warnings to cop on. Unless you're coming on the thread clutching medical evidence to back it up, I'm going to start thread banning future offenders.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

On that CNN Poll - Unsurprisingly there was a glut of new polling out over the last couple of days. So the CNN poll was one of at least a half dozen polls.

This Politico article seems to do a decent job of consolidating the info.

ABC/WaPo Poll - Shows Biden with a 12 point lead , down from 15 in July
    Fox News Poll - Biden leading by 7 points , down from 8 points
    NBC/WSJ Poll - Biden with a 9 point lead compared to 11 points
    Monmouth - 10 point lead , flat against last month
    CBS/YouGov - 10 point lead, no change
    PBS/Marist - 11 point lead , up from 8 points last month.

After all the new poll data is accounted for , Biden still has a 7.5+ lead in the RCP National poll and his "Battleground" lead hasn't changed from 4.4 either.

The short version is , yes , Trump has narrowed the gap *slightly* recently , but the size of the shift seen in the CNN poll is very much an outlier.

In general , Biden retains a healthy , beyond the margin of error lead.

To be in with a shout , Trump needs to get the National poll gap down to the 3-4 point range and close to evens in the Swing States.

He's made improvements , but there is still a lot for him to do to get within striking distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,075 ✭✭✭✭briany

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The political system in the US must really be fcuked when the electorate have to chose between:

Trump - an ar5ehole of the hightest level who seems to be going a bit senile lately.

and

Biden - a creepy ar5ehole who likes sniffing kids and seems to be senile this long time.

Everything that you can level at Biden's character/person like accusations of senility or inappropriate behaviour, you can do so equally with Trump with multiple supporting examples, and you can add in that Trump is utterly incompetent as a politician. In fact, it's not just that he's incompetent, it's that he just doesn't care. Evidently, he didn't get into the political field to be a politician at all, but purely to be adored. He'd be a lot happier with his job if it purely consisted of golfing and flying out to do a rally a couple of times a week.

Some people may have liked Trump's outsider status and his unwillingness to play the carefully stage-managed role most career politicians are happy to play. His zingers, nicknames and general mad stuff he says are certainly good to make you shake your head and chuckle incredulously, but it's not worth it to have that while being such an actively divisive president with not a clue what to do to unite his country when a crisis hits. That's what another 4 years of Trump would mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭threeball

The rising cases of Covid around the world will help Trump. He'll start pointing at how all these other countries shut down and still didn't stop it and how their economies will be behind ours as a result. I hate to say it but I can see him clawing back a bit of ground in the next few weeks.

I wonder how much of a retainer Melania is on until he either gets re-elected or booted out. I can't see her sticking around for another 4years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Chris_Heilong, what are you basing your view that Black people won't go for Harris and the Democrats on? You've linked to a Jacobin article....they're people you go to often for news, are they? No polling of the Black community will back you up here. But even anecdotally, do you know many Black Americans?

He is probably basing it on her black support during the Primaries, which was very poor and in the case of young black men, downright hostility.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

For the cry-babies wondering why people found it hard to feel sorry for Trump because of the death of his brother, here’s why:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1295331555020341249?s=21

He literally makes a tribute to his brother all about himself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

threeball wrote: »
    The rising cases of Covid around the world will help Trump. He'll start pointing at how all these other countries shut down and still didn't stop it and how their economies will be behind ours as a result. I hate to say it but I can see him clawing back a bit of ground in the next few weeks.

I wonder how much of a retainer Melania is on until he either gets re-elected or booted out. I can't see her sticking around for another 4years.

I'm not sure it will.

Other Countries seeing increases and going back into lock-down could also be seen to highlight his lack of action.

The places around the world that are taking new steps are reacting to MUCH lower levels of infection with Lockdowns, closures etc. The US are doing almost none of those things.

In the utterly polarised US , it will be a bit of both most likely , his supporters will see it as vindication that he wasn't wrong and his detractors will see it as evidence of his lack of action.

I'm not convinced that many minds will be changed by the Global news tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

I think he was worried about the cheating regarding mail in voters, that is why he brought up mail in voting fraud concerns so early last year. He is an ass but he is not a bad president, when the news outlets have to make up stories('very fine people', Russian collusion, Mexicans...are animals) in order to discredit him you know he is doing things right. I used to hate him too before realising most of the stuff I disliked him for were lies.

Much of it is also just political theater, for example Trumps has been friends with the Clinton's in the past and even donated to Clinton campaign. If there was a better candidate this time around I would say vote for them regardless of party but there is not.

The issue isn't him bringing up mail in voting, the issue is the wide scale attack on the postal service in order to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I'm not sure it will.

Other Countries seeing increases and going back into lock-down could also be seen to highlight his lack of action.

The places around the world that are taking new steps are reacting to MUCH lower levels of infection with Lockdowns, closures etc. The US are doing almost none of those things.

In the utterly polarised US , it will be a bit of both most likely , his supporters will see it as vindication that he wasn't wrong and his detractors will see it as evidence of his lack of action.

I'm not convinced that many minds will be changed by the Global news tbh.

If America locks down like others did, it would be a global depression, that would take years to overcome.

That is regardless of the President. I think there should have been more emphasis on masks, he Moved early on locking travel though to much outrage from the usual suspects.

A lockdown in America would have devastated Asia and Africa. The UN were talking about 200 million at risk of starvation.

Latest CNN poll has Biden 50 vs 46 nationally and Biden leading by 1 across the battleground states. That's a double digit shift in a couple of months.

Harris will end up being a bad pick imo, not because she's black or she's a woman, because she's fake and people can see through it. Not a likeable person, wagging her finger and talking down to people anytime there's a hearing in Congress. She was doing so badly in the primary she quit long before her home state of Californias votes were counted.

Latest ABC/Washington Post poll has Biden 11 ahead.

Biden is still 8.3% ahead nationally on average.

For Biden to win he only needs to hold onto the states Hillary won (which he will) and flip Michigan (which he will), Wisconsin (which he should) and Pennsylvania.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Latest ABC/Washington Post poll has Biden 11 ahead.

Biden is still 8.3% ahead nationally on average.

For Biden to win he only needs to hold onto the states Hillary won (which he will) and flip Michigan (which he will), Wisconsin (which he should) and Pennsylvania.

Exactly - Biden has Clintons 232 in the bag , there is zero chance of Trump flipping any States from 2016. The GOP have already given up on Michigan.

So Biden needs another 2 States out of about 10 that he's competitive in (and some with currently healthy leads) , Trump needs them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

He picked a body that was female and "black" (she's actually caribbean and indian, not african american, but thats another story).
    Jesus fecking Christ. Do you have any idea why there are so many black people in the Caribbean, where they got from and how they got there?

Try telling someone black from the Caribbean that they're not really "black" and see how you get on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Caribbean_history
    Afro-Caribbean (or African-Caribbean) history is the portion of Caribbean history that specifically discusses the Afro-Caribbean or Black racial (or ethnic) populations of the Caribbean region. Most Afro-Caribbeans are the descendants of captive Africans held in the Caribbean from 1502 to 1886 during the era of the Atlantic slave trade.

Black people from the Caribbean who have migrated (voluntarily, or by force) to the U.S., Canada, Europe, Africa and elsewhere add a significant Diaspora element to Afro-Caribbean history. Because of the complex history of the region, many people who identify as Afro-Caribbean also have European, Middle Eastern, Taino, Chinese and/or East Indian genealogies.

It is these peoples, who in the past were referred to and self-identified collectively as Coloured, Black or Negro West Indians, who now generally consider themselves to be black, mixed heritage, creole or African descendant people in the Caribbean and its Diasporas.

Saying black people aren’t really black is racist in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The only one that matters. >270 electoral college votes.

Then drop the arguments that Harris is unqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,042 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Overheal wrote: »
    Then drop the arguments that Harris is unqualified.

I never said she was unqualified. I said she got the job based on her perceived race and gender. If she was white and male she would not have been picked.

That is racist and sexist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I never said she was unqualified. I said she got the job based on her perceived race and gender. If she was white and male she would not have been picked.

Proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Faugheen wrote: »
    Saying black people aren’t really black is racist in itself.

Unless they vote Trump of course, then they ain't black.

:pac: couldn't help it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,042 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

No, by you pointing it out is racist. She got there by virtue of her qualifications and to say so otherwise is just talk that 'opinion piece writers'

• Advertisement

Ok, on the basis of your argument you can safely all admit that Trump is racist since he picked a white man to be VP candidate in 2016.

Am I doing this right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement