Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Ok, on the basis of your argument you can safely all admit that Trump is racist since he picked a white man to be VP candidate in 2016.

Am I doing this right?
    Oh for god's sake.

Are you always this ridiculous or are you putting on a special show for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Faugheen wrote: »
    For the cry-babies wondering why people found it hard to feel sorry for Trump because of the death of his brother, here’s why:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1295331555020341249?s=21

He literally makes a tribute to his brother all about himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ELM327 wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake.

It's your reasoning. Apparently a woman of colour has nothing more to offer than her ethnicity and gender and now that this is turned on Trump we get this silly overreaction.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Faugheen wrote: »
    For the cry-babies wondering why people found it hard to feel sorry for Trump because of the death of his brother, here’s why:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1295331555020341249?s=21

He literally makes a tribute to his brother all about himself.

He'll make the eulogy about himself as well, that's if he takes time out from playing golf to actually attend the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Interesting to see the level of the political divide, Al Baghdadi got better treatment than Robert Trump just because of who his brother is. Not a great look for the WaPo again.

https://twitter.com/TrumpJew/status/1294832712952557569

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Interesting to see the level of the political divide, Al Baghdadi got better treatment than Robert Trump just because of who his brother is. Not a great look for the WaPo again.

that is nicer than the eulogy that Donald will give him. I will be surprised if trump even mentions his brother in his eulogy. it will be all about Donald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's an open "secret"

So you have no proof.

Robert Trump is only getting an obituary there precisely because of who his brother is. What do you expect them to say? Most people don't know who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Overheal wrote: »
    So you have no proof.
    They'll make all the inferences they like about Trump's opponents. God.forbid you make any about Trump himself, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Oh for god's sake.

I don't understand what you see as the issue with my question.

You want to call Biden racist for choosing a woman who is also a minority background. You are of the view that that was Biden's main reason behind her selection.

All I did was ask would that also be applied to Trump selection of Pence. Was he chosen simply because he was a white Christian man?

If you opt of it for Biden how can you not apply the same 'logic' to Trump?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Hey look, it was an "open secret" that Trump would only pick a white man in 2016; https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-pick-woman-minority-vp-running-mate/story?id=39395187

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Robert Trump is only getting an obituary there precisely because of who his brother is. What do you expect them to say? Most people don't know who he is.

To be honest I wouldn't have expected a story on him, didnt even know he existed to be honest, I get its news worthy because of his brother but even just a "Robert Trump: President's younger brother dies in hospital" is better, which is what the BBC went with. Just a bit ghoulish in my opinion to have a dig at Trump via his brothers death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So the Democratic National Convention begins tonight and some big hitters are giving speeches. Tonights schedule has Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders and Andrew Cuomo. Its Cuomos speech that will be interesting given his experience of NY being ravaged by the virus and then him getting it under control. Id expect Cuomo to tackle Trump head on about the virus and given he is a very good orator it will make for interesting viewing.

Another one to watch is Republican John Kaisch who the Biden campaign asked to give a speech at the DNC. Hes part of the Republican Party who want to see Trump unseated and are willing to help Biden to do so.

Tuesday nights speakers are Bill Clinton, Jill Biden, Chuck Schumer, John Kerry and AOC.

Wednesday night is Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren and Gabrielle Giffords with Kamala Harris giving the keynote address. Then Thursday night the one to watch will be Pete Buttgieg with the keynote speech by Joe Biden himself.

To be honest I wouldn't have expected a story on him, didnt even know he existed to be honest, I get its news worthy because of his brother but even just a "Robert Trump: President's younger brother dies in hospital" is better, which is what the BBC went with. Just a bit ghoulish in my opinion to have a dig at Trump via his brothers death.

I agree they could left the "filed lawsuit" part out, it's a bit tabloidy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's not really either ghoulish or even a dig at DJT directly.

The only thing that I had ever heard about Trumps brother was when he went to court recently about the Mary Trump book. Like you , I wasn't really aware that there was another Brother beyond Fred.

So - The Washington Post making reference to the only things people know about the guy doesn't seem all that far out.

They could have gone with "Trump Golfs while his brother dies" or "Trump goes out enjoying himself for death of second brother".

Both absolutely true , but arguably insensitive statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The death of a relative of a leader isn't news.

The established media will write absolutely anything now about Trump for hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So the Democratic National Convention begins tonight and some big hitters are giving speeches. Tonights schedule has Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders and Andrew Cuomo. Its Cuomos speech that will be interesting given his experience of NY being ravaged by the virus and then him getting it under control. Id expect Cuomo to tackle Trump head on about the virus and given he is a very good orator it will make for interesting viewing.

Another one to watch is Republican John Kaisch who the Biden campaign asked to give a speech at the DNC. Hes part of the Republican Party who want to see Trump unseated and are willing to help Biden to do so.

Tuesday nights speakers are Bill Clinton, Jill Biden, Chuck Schumer, John Kerry and AOC.

Wednesday night is Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren and Gabrielle Giffords with Kamala Harris giving the keynote address. Then Thursday night the one to watch will be Pete Buttgieg with the keynote speech by Joe Biden himself.

Full schedule here

https://www.demconvention.com/schedule-and-speakers/

Times are EDT (10:30 AM at time of post, adjust to your local)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And in contrast, at the GOP convention , Trump will be the keynote speaker EVERY night

Typically - The Candidate (whether an incumbent or not) gives one big speech on the last night after the rest of the party Glitterati have laid out the policy agenda and built the candidate up for the finale.

If further evidence was needed of his complete and utter takeover and subjugation of the GOP , this is surely it.

It's probably a gift to the Dems and/or people like the Lincoln project - 4 Night of "big speeches" from Trump will definitely provide some "meme-able" moments.

There's no chance he stays on the Teleprompter for 4 straight nights.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And in contrast, at the GOP convention , Trump will be the keynote speaker EVERY night

Typically - The Candidate (whether an incumbent or not) gives one big speech on the last night after the rest of the party Glitterati have laid out the policy agenda and built the candidate up for the finale.

If further evidence was needed of his complete and utter takeover and subjugation of the GOP , this is surely it.

It's probably a gift to the Dems and/or people like the Lincoln project - 4 Night of "big speeches" from Trump will definitely provide some "meme-able" moments.

Oh lord, this could be gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

That's not true.

Biden's wife and daughter dying were huge stories at the time, and those were almost 50 years ago. As is also typically the case when the latest Kennedy goes skiing off the side of an airplane while wrapped in fireworks and dynamite, or whatnot. A Kennedy dying earlier this year was a big story, for just the latest of countless examples.

• Advertisement

Why do you post about Politics?

Your response to pretty much everything is "It doesn't matter" or "Why does anyone care about that"

You're entire posting history seems to be an effort to make sure that everyone knows how little you care about things and how unimportant it all is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Be interesting if he discusses the stellar way he handled the nursing homes and how he got it under control after a mere 35 000 people died.

Kasich giving a speech at a supposedly left wing party's convention is a scandal while AOC only getting 1 minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think the brother also sued the niece so I would take the headline to mean that Robert sued the niece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Be interesting if he discusses the stellar way he handled the nursing homes and how he got it under control after a mere 35 000 people died.

Kasich giving a speech at a supposedly left wing party's convention is a scandal while AOC only getting 1 minute.

the democrats are not a left wing party.

the democrats are not a left wing party.

Sadly true.

A centre right party probably.

Plenty if they were in the UK would rather be in the tories than Labour.

I think in the next ten years they will really move to the left with demo changes and the likes of the squad moving up .

Also Bill Clinton really should not be speaking either , to much scandal their.

And before someone reminds me yes I know about the numerous rape allegations aimed at Trump which should have disqualified him, doesn't make Bill speaking any better.

Just on that - She is not giving a speech and was never supposed to be.

She, along with several others is "nominating" one of the candidates (Sanders I think) - It's part of the charade of the nomination process. She doesn't really have a speech to give.

Each of the original candidates gets a ceremonial "Nomination" at the convention and then they go through all the primary results and Biden gets announced as the winner and confirmed as the official Democrat Candidate.

In 60 seconds , she will basically get to say "Thank you all , It is my great pleasure to nominate Senator Bernie Sanders for the position of Presidential Candidate for the Democrat Party in 2020" and not much else.

Same as whoever is "nominating" Buttigieg or Klobuchar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

AOC has some strange views, may appeal to many activists but the wider electorate aren't impressed with her.

She is also from a wing that was sidelined with Biden and told to jump with VP pick of Harris.

Danzy wrote: »
    AOC has some strange views, may appeal to many activists but the wider electorate aren't impressed with her.

She is also from a wing that was sidelined with Biden and told to jump with VP pick of Harris.

She's a star though so she should get plenty of time to speak especially if they can find room for John Kasich. Someone like AOC would be considered centre left in Europe tbf.

What's the RNC version of AOC? Crenshaw? Assume the RNC cfor all their flaws won't minimise him at the RNC convention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    Proof?

Well, back in July he said his list was seven women. That may be acceptable for a political position (It can perhaps be argued that the interests of job performance as a figurehead it is required, but it's a stretch), but he has also promised as far back as March to nominate a black female for the next SCOTUS position. That would be enough for a racial discrimination claim against any private employer unless it can be shown that nobody who wasn't a black female can do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Quin_Dub wrote: »

jesus four nights of Trump going off script could make for a car crash in terms of the election.

Just from your link
    The overall theme of the week will be “Honoring the Great American Story.” Monday’s tag line will be “Land of Promise,” Tuesday will be “Land of Opportunity,” Wednesday will showcase “Land of Heroes,” and the final day, Aug. 27, will be built around a “Land of Greatness” theme.

I cant wait for Trumps "Land of Greatness" speech where the great one himself tells us how great he is while the death toll clicks past 180,000 dead and an economy in the tank.

They are also doing speeches on federal property which seems to be in contravention of the Hatch Act which disbars federal employees from being involved in federal activities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement