Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

It's liek they're writing the Lincoln Project ads for them sometimes.

- Land of Broken Promises / Land of Lies
    - Land of Inequality / Land of Cronyism
    - Land of Crooks / Land of Grifters
    - Land of Failure

That's just off the top of my head and they'll be able to do a much better job of it than me obviously, but I'm pretty certain LP will be running something along those lines, juxtaposing Trumps speeches with reality in as adam I g a fashion as they tend to, the day after each speech at the convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's liek they're writing the Lincoln Project ads for them sometimes.

- Land of Broken Promises / Land of Lies
    - Land of Inequality / Land of Cronyism
    - Land of Crooks / Land of Grifters
    - Land of Failure

That's just off the top of my head and they'll be able to do a much better job of it than me obviously, but I'm pretty certain LP will be running something along those lines, juxtaposing Trumps speeches with reality in as adam I g a fashion as they tend to, the day after each speech at the convention.

I read an article recently about The Lincoln Project. Apparently, their primary objective is not to sway voters with their adverts but to irritate Trump so that he lashes out and/or makes a fool of himself. They think this is the best way of swaying undecided voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, back in July he said his list was seven women. That may be acceptable for a political position (It can perhaps be argued that the interests of job performance as a figurehead it is required, but it's a stretch), but he has also promised as far back as March to nominate a black female for the next SCOTUS position. That would be enough for a racial discrimination claim against any private employer unless it can be shown that nobody who wasn't a black female can do the job.

Not sure he said it would be a black female did he? He did say female all right.

But then he never said it had to be female, just that it would be, which he could well have known at that stage who was on the shortlist and if they were all women then it wasn't sexist, just a fact.

We will never know, but the main issue is that, just like in pretty much any angle taken on Biden, Trump has done more and usually worse so it is hard to take the hypocrisy seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm looking forward to the "Land of Heroes" where he can regale us with more of his knowledge about the War of Independence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I read an article recently about The Lincoln Project. Apparently, their primary objective is not to sway voters with their adverts but to irritate Trump so that he lashes out and/or makes a fool of himself. They think this is the best way of swaying undecided voters.

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1295078804247982087

Their objective is to make money and make themselves famous with gullible liberals nothing more than that. don't ascribe morals to people who for the most part were grand with the war crimes and horrors of previous GOP regimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Not sure he said it would be a black female did he? He did say female all right.

But then he never said it had to be female, just that it would be, which he could well have known at that stage who was on the shortlist and if they were all women then it wasn't sexist, just a fact.

He said black female. True, but the question is how the shortlist was created. This NBC article goes over the numbers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/problem-biden-s-pledge-black-woman-justice-n1200826

Supreme Court justices are usually elevated from a federal appeals court. Eleven of the last 12 confirmed justices were plucked from an appellate court — the exception was Elena Kagan, who was the U.S. solicitor general, a position so embedded with the institution it has been nicknamed “the tenth justice.”

Only five black women are now on U.S. appeals courts, and all of them will be 68 or older this year, according to data compiled by NBC News from the Federal Judicial Center.

[...]

Overall, there are 48 women who are of African American descent and currently sitting federal judges [MM: Out of about 870], but Biden’s realistic options on the bench would be fewer. Only 11 will be younger than 55 on Election Day — two were appointed by Republicans and are ideologically out of sync with progressives.

The statistics are such that it is highly improbable that the normal standards of ability and experience will result in a shortlist of only black women. Gender and race almost certainly have to have been a factor in selecting the candidates for the job, just as gender was for O' Connor who had to be grabbed from way out of left field in order to meet Reagan's declared promise of appointing a woman whilst meeting his own requirement of picking a known moderate.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1295078804247982087

Their objective is to make money and make themselves famous with gullible liberals nothing more than that. don't ascribe morals to people who for the most part were grand with the war crimes and horrors of previous GOP regimes.

It's not like The Donald is a paragon of virtue. Anyway, that's grand. Politics is about getting elected. As long as The Donald loses, who cares what their motives are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: The 'dementia' angle has been done to death at this stage, and there have already been mod warnings to cop on. Unless you're coming on the thread clutching medical evidence to back it up, I'm going to start thread banning future offenders.

Yet you can literally go around these boards parrotting a known provable lie such as 'trump advocated to drink bleach'.

Trump is far right, trump is literally hitler etc.. etc..

Another win for the wokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭weisses

2u2me wrote: »
    Yet you can literally go around these boards parrotting a known provable lie such as 'trump advocated to drink bleach.

True .... it was injecting disinfectant .... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

weisses wrote: »
    True .... it was injecting disinfectant .... :rolleyes:

He didn't advocate anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He clearly did.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭weisses

Make of it what you want

I
    see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that
    ."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

weisses wrote: »
    Make of it what you want

I ."

to be fair he wasn't completely wrong. if you got disinfectant inside your lungs it would do a tremendous number on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Yet you can literally go around these boards parrotting a known provable lie such as 'trump advocated to drink bleach'.

Trump is far right, trump is literally hitler etc.. etc..

Another win for the wokes.

Let them believe what they want, who cares. It will make no difference to the result of the election and will be all the funnier when Trump get's re-elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The theroy wasn't without merit. The company trialling it share price rocketed the day after, I called it over in the investing form before it took off.
    It's worth watching the start of that particular press conference, no matter what he said it was going to be misreported.

Let them believe what they want, who cares. It will make no difference to the result of the election and will be all the funnier when Trump get's re-elected.

Do you an America that denies climate change is a good thing?
    Do you think an America getting more deeply divided is a good thing?
    Do you an America that sees Russia increasing its power and menace towards Europe a good thing?
    Do you think an America increasing the politisation of the courts, looking to further derail the democratic process by gerrymandering and disenfranchising millions of voters is a good thing?

It seems quite a big price to pay to see a few people cry on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Do you an America that denies climate change is a good thing?
    Do you think an America getting more deeply divided is a good thing?
    Do you an America that sees Russia increasing its power and menace towards Europe a good thing?
    Do you think an America increasing the politisation of the courts, looking to further derail the democratic process by gerrymandering and disenfranchising millions of voters is a good thing?

It seems quite a big price to pay to see a few people cry on TV

Trump isn't doing any of those things, this is the definition of alarmism.

What's Trump's position on climate change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Whats his position/policy on anything.....

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Two points. First Trump is 100% part of the problem on climate change. Won't entertain it at all.

Second America has always stood against Russia increasing its influence. Trump has basically lied down against them and instead focused on China. And it's right to focus on China but not at the expense of letting Russia do as it pleases.

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »

Whatever way his base's wind blows.

Thing is, all of them are happening. Most divisive president in modern history and has basically never tried to be a unifying president. Exited the Paris accord. Is actively trying to derail the electoral process by messing with the USPS. Seems to trust Russian intelligence more than US and did nothing when the Russians had bounties on their soldiers... Also has the Attorney General actively interfering with cases that involve his friends...

Nothing alarmist about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

that he's unsure of the man made element behind it
    that china and other big non western polluters need to step up
    there was millions in funding for planting new trees.
    he has made a few statements about improving air and water quality.

disagreeing with NGO's and an angry Swedish girl != climate change denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

LOCK HER UP!

Whatever way his base's wind blows.

I don't think he even goes that far.

The answer is he has none, never had. No one can pin any political position on him because there is none. He is a chancer that managed to become POTUS. He chanced his way for 3yrs until a virus found him out. Its gods will.

His statements around water seem to generally be around water pressure and no water coming out of his shower. He's generally been reversing environmental regulations..

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/03/how-trump-is-changing-science-environment/

We've also got the science on it being man made... However much you guys want to pretend it's up in the air, it isn't.

He has reversed a much climate change legislation as he can. Dropped out of the Paris Accord. Called global warming a hoax etc. ad nauseam. He doesn't give a flying fiddler's about climate change.

just like the trump alarmist you give him far too much credit.I could ask you for the quotes he made about water or air quality but we know other than worrying about washing his hair there is nothing.

Oh, I must if dreamt he pulled the US out of the Paris accord. Of course I remember well his speech on increasing renewable energy.
    I akso must have dreamt him praising himself continally for getting SCOTUS and appointing the most number of judges.
    I must have misunderstood where he falled protestors scum , said he would help governors if they agreed with him.
    The whole bit about pulling out of NATO was such a laugh. Along with never, not once, hav8ng anything negative to say about Putin or Russia.

• Advertisement

just like the trump alarmist you give him far too much credit.I could ask you for the quotes he made about water or air quality but we know other than worrying about washing his hair there is nothing.

He confuses water and air quality with climate change. He actually doesn't realise they are different issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement