Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,607 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

say something positive about Donald trumps presidency.

It will soon be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It will end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He has continued to appoint conservative judges at a record pace.

He ordered the operation that killed Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

He delivered the biggest blow to Planned Parenthood in three decades.

His tariff threats forced Mexico to crack down on illegal immigration

His “maximum pressure” campaign is crippling Iran.

He stood with the people of Hong Kong.

He has got NATO allies to cough up more money for America's collective security.

He implemented tighter work requirements for food stamps.

Unemployment was at record lows before the China virus. Last year the number of job openings outnumbered the unemployed workers to fill them by the widest gap ever; wages where rising, and low-wage workers are experiencing the fastest pay increases. Fifty-seven percent of Americans said they where better off financially since Trump took office.

There is plenty of other positives Trump has brought to the table.

Any opinions of your own that aren’t plagiarized?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/12/26/best-things-trump-has-done/

I'm good, I'm not here to play silly games with you. You've not addressed a single thing I've said which says a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's shown that whoever drafted the constitution really nailed it on the checks and balances.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,607 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Overheal wrote: »

oh dear

Another one? Or the same one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

oh dear

Another one? Or the same one?
    I had thought it was obvious for weeks now?

That they were plagiarizing and disingenuous, of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This is just what I expected, not even one objective viewpoint, just hate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is just what I expected, not even one objective viewpoint, just hate.

Perhaps if we had some opinions beyond victimhood fantasies and persecution complexes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

ELM327 wrote: »
    You see, this is the stuff the left would ignore.
    But it's the same reason that killary lost in 2016 and sleepy joe will lose this year. The silent majority.
    I thought you were pro choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭uptherebels

But it's the same reason that killary lost in 2016 and sleepy joe will lose this year. The silent majority.

What silent majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Not being obtuse, but easy to spot who this poster was now.

The federalist copy and paste artist springs to mind!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There is no "Silent Majority" , there wasn't one on 2016 and there isn't one now.

This idea that people are lying to pollsters because they are ashamed to admit they are Trump voters is utterly ridiculous.

I can accept that people may not want to reveal their voting preferences to Work Colleagues , neighbours or In-laws. I know I don't discuss politics in those situations either.

But the idea that somehow telling an anonymous pollster over the phone or via a web survey is something that people would be reticent to do it is patently ridiculous. and even if they did feel a pang of shame , would they not choose "undecided" instead?

There are far less undecided voters this time around.

Despite the "The polls were wrong " mantra that gets trotted out - No they weren't , where they were weak was not looking closely enough at the swing state levels and being focused on the National number.

That is not the case this time around , all the major polling companies are focused on those States are tracking them closely.

Trumps alleged "Silent Majority" in 2016 amounted to 77,000 votes or so across a handful of states out of the 136M+ votes cast.

Or more specifically , 77,774 votes out of just shy of 15M Votes cast in the 3 States he won to take him over 270 - Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, which is about 0.5%.

That is not a "Silent Majority" or anything like it , in fact he won a lot of the Red states by smaller margins than previous elections

In Texas for example , he won by 9 points , Romney won it by 16 and McCain won it by 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks like Michelle Obama was the star speaker at the Dem convention.

Trump seems to be running on hate, fear and lies.
    Biden on compassion, science and change.

Unfortunately trump won with hate, fear and lies the first time.

Have watched a few clips of the DNC last night and this speaker stood out. Shes a lady from Arizona whose father was a Trump supporter and voter who died of the virus because he was influenced by Trump
    Urquiza talked about her father's trust in Trump, and how he went out to a karaoke bar in May after the state reopened businesses.
    “He had faith in Donald Trump," she said. "[He] listened to him, believed him and his mouthpieces when they said that coronavirus was under control and going to disappear; that it was OK to end social distancing rules before it was safe and that if you had no underlying health conditions."A few weeks after the karaoke outing, Urquiza said her father was hospitalized and put on a ventilator.
    "After five agonizing days, he died alone in the ICU with a nurse holding his hand," she said as the slideshow displayed an image of her father in the hospital.
    Urquiza said that Trump didn't cause the virus, "but his dishonesty and his irresponsible actions made it so much worse."

The video is here, it is quite moving and she said that when her father was on his deathbed he said that he felt like a fool for trusting Trump
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/kristin-urquiza-daughter-lost-father-covid-19-blames/story?id=72433606

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

The Presidents campaign seems to be gaining momentum at the right time. He's closed the gap in the polls over the last couple of weeks and bunker joe is going to need the silent majority to not vote to stand a chance.

The silent majority will win out for the president as they did in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭uptherebels

The Presidents campaign seems to be gaining momentum at the right time. He's closed the gap in the polls over the last couple of weeks and bunker joe is going to need the silent majority to not vote to stand a chance.

Which polls are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Speaking of silent no comment on your plagiarism?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Those silent majority you refer to isn't the same as the dog whistle that's referred to on far right publications. What won trump the election is the blue-collared workers who were disenfranchised as their man, Bernie, didn't get the nomination. So their choice was to vote for Hillary, who was fairly right side of the Democratic Party, or Trump, who had no real agenda apart from a few catchphrase empty promises like Build the Wall or Lock her Up (none of which did he actually succeed in doing in 4 years). Hillary was an extremely poor candidate so for those blue collared workers (and the undecideds who are about 33-37% of the electorate) they threw their vote at trump as they didn't know his form but it was better than the other.
    This time round, they know his form, and that won't win their vote as he's done nothing to appeal to those undecideds, and now Bernie is actively encouraging his voters to vote for Biden,
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/bernie-sanders-speech-dnc-joe-biden-support-2020-election-donald-trump-a9675151.html
    So this nebulous 'silent majority' isn't there for Trump despite what you claim, and that's why he will not win in November

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Speaking of silent no comment on your plagiarism?

Not to be obtuse, but I predict you will never get a comment on this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm sure Donny will have something to say about Jacinda Ardern. Typically he lashes out when criticized by a female leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

After Day 1 of the Democratic National Convention, if I was Donald Trump I would be feeling the fear now

My prediction is The silent majority are people:
    - embarrassed/ashamed they voted for him in 2016 (how bad can it be?) and are looking for redemption in their 2020 vote

amdublin wrote: »
    Not to be obtuse, but I predict you will never get a comment on this

You might get an acute response, but it's definitely not obtuse

duploelabs wrote: »
    Those silent majority you refer to isn't the same as the dog whistle that's referred to on far right publications. What won trump the election is the blue-collared workers who were disenfranchised as their man, Bernie, didn't get the nomination. So their choice was to vote for Hillary, who was fairly right side of the Democratic Party, or Trump, who had no real agenda apart from a few catchphrase empty promises like Build the Wall or Lock her Up (none of which did he actually succeed in doing in 4 years). Hillary was an extremely poor candidate so for those blue collared workers (and the undecideds who are about 33-37% of the electorate) they threw their vote at trump as they didn't know his form but it was better than the other.
    This time round, they know his form, and that won't win their vote as he's done nothing to appeal to those undecideds, and now Bernie is actively encouraging his voters to vote for Biden,
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/bernie-sanders-speech-dnc-joe-biden-support-2020-election-donald-trump-a9675151.html
    So this nebulous 'silent majority' isn't there for Trump despite what you claim, and that's why he will not win in November

I wish you well but I'm afraid you are incorrect.

The president will be serving a second term.

I wish you well but I'm afraid you are incorrect.

The president will be serving a second term.

Care to quantify that? Or are you just going to copy and paste someone else's work and claim it as your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm sure Donny will have something to say about Jacinda Ardern. Typically he lashes out when criticized by a female leader.

lashes out when criticised by any leader, but sure throw gender into the mix there just to make him seem like a sexist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ChikiChiki wrote: »

expect the word Nasty to be used. Donnie has a very limited vocabulary when it comes to women.

Thing is, it looks incredibly likely for states to flip to Biden. Trump is not going to flip states.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No, he hasn't , not even a little.

As was already answered to another supporter claiming the poll were moving in his favour.

Yes ONE poll (from CNN) showed him closing the gap , but the majority did not.

The gap has actually widened.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Indeed - However almost every other new poll showed Biden maintaining a healthy lead.

So much so that his "blended" lead in the RCP Average increased from 7.4 to 7.7 yesterday when they included the glut of polls over the last few days. It also has him above the key 50% threshold - A level Clinton never got to.

His "Battleground state" lead is also holding steady.

I would assume that there will be a barrage of polling this week and next to gauge the impact of the Conventions so we'll see where things lie at the end of the Month , but early voting starts in about 4 weeks.

Trump won in 2016 by sweeping up a large chunk of the "undecided" voters. He did not win over any significant volume of Democrat voters

There doesn't appear to be enough of those around this time though.

Take the Battleground States from RCP

Biden is on 48.7% , Trump on 44.4% so that means there are 6.9% of voters either undecided or going 3rd Party in those states. There were almost twice as many in that bucket at this same point in 2016.

The Libertarian/Greens tickets will probably take 1-2% maybe 3% at a push , so that leaves at most 4-5% of undecided voters.

To win Trump needs to move ALL of them over to him .

A very very big ask.

And just further on those "Battlegounds" - The GOP and Trump have already ceded the field in Michigan , they have suspended all advertising there , they know they can't win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Here's hoping

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement