Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Strand - broadband

• 27-07-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys. I'm planning on moving to Rosslare Strand towards the end of the year and staying for about 6 months.

I need broadband for work while I'm there and I'm looking at the idea of getting mobile broadband. Looking at the various websites it looks like 3, Air and Vodafone are the only ones that do that. I'll also need it for streaming, gaming, so it would need to have a bit of umpff.

Does anyone have first hand experience of what sort of speeds I'd get with any of these networks?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I live in Rosslare Strand and I am with EIR. I get speeds up to 25 mb. Its fine for streaming and downloading etc. Don't have any experience in online gaming I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dublin baker

Thanks Bigron. Is that mobile broadband you've got? Where I'll be staying isn't wired up and they won't allow that so I'm stuck with finding the best 4G mobile broadband. I've looked on the coverage map and it says both Eir and 3 have good signals but just wondering how that translates into reality.

Apologies mate, but that’s a wired broadband . But if it’s any use to you , I can get 4G in the Strand on the mobile network and the speeds on the phone are good too with Eir. Apologies I don’t have a dongle to test.

That's great. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Thanks Bigron. Is that mobile broadband you've got? Where I'll be staying isn't wired up and they won't allow that so I'm stuck with finding the best 4G mobile broadband. I've looked on the coverage map and it says both Eir and 3 have good signals but just wondering how that translates into reality.
    That's a bit mad they won't allow you to wire it up. Did they give a reason. Rosslare is one of the towns that eir plan to roll out FTTH

• Advertisement

Just that they don't want cables on the outside of their building. Fair enough, as I'm getting a great deal on rental cost

• Registered Users Posts: 10 VegggieMonster

bigron2109 wrote: »
    I live in Rosslare Strand and I am with EIR. I get speeds up to 25 mb. Its fine for streaming and downloading etc. Don't have any experience in online gaming I am afraid.

I know it's a bit off topic but we have been thinking about moving to Rosslare Strand from Dublin. Some say it has a transient town feel but I would rather ask someone who lives there😁. That is if you don't mind. Is it good place in terms of safety (no youth gangs running around, etc.). Any majot down sides? Best!

I know it's a bit off topic but we have been thinking about moving to Rosslare Strand from Dublin. Some say it has a transient town feel but I would rather ask someone who lives there😁. That is if you don't mind. Is it good place in terms of safety (no youth gangs running around, etc.). Any majot down sides? Best!

Im a Dub, but I have been living down here about 20 years now, and probably about 8 years in Rosslare Strand. I absolutely love Rosslare strand. I am within 5 minutes walk from the beach and I can hear the sea from my back garden.

The village itself has everything , from a post office to a chemist, two shops, a coffee shop, a ice cream shop, a Chinese take away, a chip shop, two hotels, two pubs,a gym, a creche, a primary school and a playground and also a blue flag beach:D

Transport is excellent too, with trains three times a day to Wexford and Dublin and there is a local bus too which goes from Rosslare to Wexford a number of times a day.

The village itself is very clean and its well looked after by the local community and they are very proud of it.

The one draw back, and this is something you get when you live in a area like this is the summer time. From May till September its very busy. You wouldn't be able to park at the beach unless you got down there at 9am in the morning, the shops and pubs are extremely busy and traffic is also very heavy around this time of the year.

Regarding gangs and trouble, ill be 100% honest with you and say in my time in Rosslare I haven't seen gangs etc. Yes there is a few kids who like to hang out down at the beach, but they are teenagers kicking a ball or just been kids, but there is no trouble from them etc.

I haven't heard of any other issues in Rosslare. There is also a police station in the strand too. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post or PM me and ill try answer them as best as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 VegggieMonster

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Im a Dub, but I have been living down here about 20 years now, and probably about 8 years in Rosslare Strand. I absolutely love Rosslare strand. I am within 5 minutes walk from the beach and I can hear the sea from my back garden.

The village itself has everything , from a post office to a chemist, two shops, a coffee shop, a ice cream shop, a Chinese take away, a chip shop, two hotels, two pubs,a gym, a creche, a primary school and a playground and also a blue flag beach:D

Transport is excellent too, with trains three times a day to Wexford and Dublin and there is a local bus too which goes from Rosslare to Wexford a number of times a day.

The village itself is very clean and its well looked after by the local community and they are very proud of it.

The one draw back, and this is something you get when you live in a area like this is the summer time. From May till September its very busy. You wouldn't be able to park at the beach unless you got down there at 9am in the morning, the shops and pubs are extremely busy and traffic is also very heavy around this time of the year.

Regarding gangs and trouble, ill be 100% honest with you and say in my time in Rosslare I haven't seen gangs etc. Yes there is a few kids who like to hang out down at the beach, but they are teenagers kicking a ball or just been kids, but there is no trouble from them etc.

I haven't heard of any other issues in Rosslare. There is also a police station in the strand too. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post or PM me and ill try answer them as best as possible.
    Thanks very much for taking time and all the details��. I can imagine during the summer peak it gets very busy but I think we could manage. I am waiting to hear if I will be able to work from home 3 days a week and if so, we might take the plunge (that is when restrictions easy off and we can do some viewings, etc). There are some nice houses at Rushbrook in Mauritius Rd but with lockdown all we can do is a walk around the town in street view mode��. Best rgds

Advertisement