Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL Team of the Season

• 27-07-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So now that the PL is finished time to pick TOTY.

My choice is

Henderson
    TAA, Egan, VVD, Robertson
    DM?
    KDB, Henderson
    PEA, Ings, Mane

Not 100% on the DM.

Was between Henderson and Alisson for the keeper spot but went with Henderson.

I went with Ings over Vardy because his goals seemed to be much more decisive in getting points on the board.

Maybe we could do a poll to vote on the positions like is done in the gaming forum for GOTY? A thread where people nominate a player for a position and then the top three are voted on and the winner is then the one with the most votes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Henderson and the two top level big side keepers mean that Pope gets overlooked so I'll stick him in.

Pope
    TAA--Laporte--VVD--Robbo
    Ndidi
    KDB--
    Son
    --Pierre---Ings---Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Henderson and the two top level big side keepers mean that Pope gets overlooked so I'll stick him in.

Pope
    TAA--Laporte--VVD--Robbo
    Ndidi
    KDB--Son
    --Pierre---Ings---Mane

Think I'd have the exact same thing. Maybe Pulisic for Son but that's him slightly out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pope
    TAA--Laporte--VVD--Robbo
    Ndidi
    KDB--Son
    --Pierre---Ings---Mane

Not sure how you can include Laporte when he only played 15 games?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Not sure how you can include Laporte when he only played 15 games?

Bruno only played 13 and he's worthy of a position I would think.

If a certain amount of games are required definitely think you nailed it with Egan.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Allison

TAA Van Dijk Evans Robertson

Henderson

De Bruyne Bruno F

Rashford Ings Mane

United fan so throwing Rashford in there cos im biased, if I wasn't I would probably go for Aubameyang

• Advertisement

Bruno only played 13 and he's worthy of a position I would think.

If a certain amount of games are required definitely think you nailed it with Egan.

Over a full season Bruno probably gets in but hard to pick him over either KDB (assists for my team) or Henderson (perfect foil for KDB with his work rate) this season.

He only played 13 games this season but he was poor enough in the final three because Ole managed his time on the field since the restart poorly after the first few games and he looked dead on his feet. Now if you want to drop the DM and put him in that's fair enough but I think the team is more balanced with a dedicated DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Think I'd have the exact same thing. Maybe Pulisic for Son but that's him slightly out of position.

Not as if Son is a CM either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Looked at OPs team and thought "Why the hell is he putting Henderson in goal?" but then realised you meant that Henderson.

Liverpool well represented nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pope
    TAA - Egan - VVD - Robertson
    Henderson
    Fernandes - De Bruyne
    Salah - Vardy - Mane

Went with Fernandes too for his impact, they wouldn't of been in the Top 4 without him.

Allison had 13 clean sheets and played 9 games less than Pope (15 cleansheets), but Pope is an excellent keeper and doesn't have VVD in front of him so gets my pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pope

Trent ----Egan ---VVD --RObbo

Fabhino

Hendo
    KDB

--MAne---Vardy
    PEA

Bruno just misses out because of the formation

Fabhino had the best season out of any number 6 by a mile,

• Advertisement

I'd have had Fabinho in there too but he badly struggled for form after getting injured up till the break and that seems like forever and a go!

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd have had Fabinho in there too but he badly struggled for form after getting injured up till the break and that seems like forever and a go!

He came back in 5 Prem games before lockdown and the first was a 4-0 win ,
    He struggled in the fa cup game to Chelsea (doesn't count)
    I can only recall him being poor away to Watford in the Prem

The rest of the season he was unreal

He came back in 5 Prem games before lockdown and the first was a 4-0 win ,
    He struggled in the fa cup game to Chelsea (doesn't count)
    I can only recall him being poor away to Watford in the Prem

The rest of the season he was unreal

Pre injury he was unreal but like I said I can't remember pre lockdown, its forever and a go. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

allison

TAA---Van Dijk----Maguire
    Robertson

Rodri

----de bruyne
    fernandes

----Mane
    vardy
    auba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Maguire wasn't even United's best defender. Fernandes brilliant, but doesn't get in by virtue of of not playing enough games.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Maguire wasn't even United's best defender. Fernandes brilliant, but doesn't get in by virtue of of not playing enough games.

maguire had more clearances, blocks, interceptions, headed clearances and won more aerial battles than any centre back at the club. Has been a rock all season and is the main reason utd have had the most clean sheets in all competitions in europe this season

bangkok wrote: »
    maguire had more clearances, blocks, interceptions, headed clearances and won more aerial battles than any centre back at the club. Has been a rock all season and is the main reason utd have had the most clean sheets in all competitions in europe this season

He's replacement at Leicester had a better season than him , Even if you go just English Joe Gomez has been far better,

The reason why United have the most clean sheets is down to playing Europa against likes of Astan ,Ak Alkmaar , Patizan , Lask ,Brugge all twice, while the rest of Europe top teams play Champions league ,

Then in domestic cup playing nearly full strength team against the like of Colchester ,Tranmere and the likes,

Don't kid yourself

Maguire not even close to making team of the season ,

He's replacement at Leicester had a better season than him , Even if you go just English Joe Gomez has been far better,

The reason why United have the most clean sheets is down to playing Europa against likes of Astan ,Ak Alkmaar , Patizan , Lask ,Brugge all twice, while the rest of Europe top teams play Champions league ,

Then in domestic cup playing nearly full strength team against the like of Colchester ,Tranmere and the likes,

Don't kid yourself

Maguire not even close to making team of the season ,

you have egan in your team....

in the Premier league Maguire has more...

clean sheets

Interceptions

headed clearances

aerial battles won

twice as many passes

a much higher pass completion 86% compared to 80% for egan

twice as many forward passes

he is defo in with a shout and id say Maguires stats are just as good as most of the centre backs in the league if not better.

much better stats than Egan anyway

He also let more players dribble by him then anyone, let the offside trap down more than others, gave away more fouls.

I think he has to make a lot of blocks and tackles precisely because he doesn't read situations as well as Lindeloff and has to make up for it with the old fashioned grit type of defending.

Where he is getting a lot of his score for is his key passes and stuff like that, but he's not the reason they have the most clean sheets.

He was easily the worst of the 4 defenders yesterday, and arguably the worst of the defenders since the return of football.

Maguire's importance has been vastly overstated.

He also let more players dribble by him then anyone, let the offside trap down more than others, gave away more fouls.

I think he has to make a lot of blocks and tackles precisely because he doesn't read situations as well as Lindeloff and has to make up for it with the old fashioned grit type of defending.

Where he is getting a lot of his score for is his key passes and stuff like that, but he's not the reason they have the most clean sheets.

He was easily the worst of the 4 defenders yesterday, and arguably the worst of the defenders since the return of football.

Maguire's importance has been vastly overstated.

its team of the season, not just the last few weeks or yesterday for that matter

• Advertisement

Anyway,

Allison,

TAA, Virgil, Tarkowski, Robertson

N'Didi
    De Bruyne, Mane

Salah Vardy Auba

Kind of cheating having Mane as a midfielder/winger hybrid. Salah did not have a great season by the standards he has set, but he's still had a great season. I'd go for Fernandes if he'd played another 10 or so games.

Silva, Mahrez, Henderson (Jordan), Perreira, Digne, Ings and Nick Pope would make up my very lobsided bench

its team of the season, not just the last few weeks or yesterday for that matter

If you're including someone who has played less than half the season, you should be excluding someone who has been mediocre at best for about close to a third of it.

abUafooaoZ.png

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53546051

Gareth Crooks team of the season

i actually totally forgot about Sterling, i would have to get him into my team somehow...

also he has Maguire on his team as well

you have egan in your team....

Maguire has more...

clean sheets

Interceptions

headed clearances

aerial battles won

twice as many passes

a much higher pass completion 86% compared to 80% for egan

twice as many forward passes

he is defo in with a shout and id say Maguires stats are just as good as most of the centre backs in the league if not better.

much better stats than Egan anyway

Egan conceded less goals than Maguire
    Egan blocked more shots
    Egan had more Clearances
    Egan scored more goals
    Egan received less cards

Tackles there is 1% success difference to Maguire but Egan made more

Egan plays in a worse team. Egans first season in the Premier league

Also stat are nonsense there is no stat the shows Maguire mistake for the Spurs goal, the Bournemouth goal where; he megged in his own box, The Saint goal where he marks his own player,

Let see how may teams Maguire makes it into ,

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53546051

Gareth Crooks team of the season

i actually totally forgot about Sterling, i would have to get him into my team somehow...

also he has Maguire on his team as well

agreeing with Gareth Crooks should never be a badge of honour:D

Sterling is a strange one he was unreal until they played Liverpool and then was dross until after lockdown ,
    For me it was between him and Vardy and i went Vardy

If you're turning to Garth Crooks for backup...He's a terrible pundit and even worse analyst. He routinely picks players in his team of the week simply due to them being England internationals too.

That said, I did omit Sterling perhaps unfairly.

If you're turning to Garth Crooks for backup...He's a terrible pundit and even worst analyst. He routinely picks players in his team of the week simply due to them being England internationals too.

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/premier-league-team-of-the-season/182513

Sporting life are very good, Paul MacDonald from football critic has Maguire in his team as well

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/premier-league-team-of-the-season/182513

Sporting life are very good, Paul MacDonald from football critic has Maguire in his team as well

Can you stop trying to prove your point? Others disagree with you and that's ok. Just move on and we'll see what others pick.

Maybe a mod can see if my suggestion in the first post is feasible.

• Advertisement

Maguire's problem is they paid so much for him, fans and rival fans expect Van Dijk level of performances. He's a fine CB but he performed to his level, nothing ground breaking. Other players I feel had a better season than him and exceeded expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mine would be:

———————Pope———————
    Trent—-Soyuncu—-VVD—-Robbo
    ———————Ndidi———————
    ———Henderson—-KDB————
    —Salah—-—-PEA—-——-Mane—

Alisson, Wan-Bissaka, Gomez, Fabinho, Fernandes, Sterling and Jimenez on the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Pope
    TAA - Egan - VVD - Robertson
    Ndidi
    Henderson -De Bruyne
    Sterling
    Ings - Vardy

Subs: Allison, Digne, Soyuncu, Fernandes/Grealish, Salah, Mane, Auba

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Pope
    TAA-Egan-VVD-Robertson
    Henderson-KDB-Fernandes
    Auba-Ings-Mane

Henderson, Tarkowski, Soyuncu, Ndidi, Mount, Salah, Vardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If you're turning to Garth Crooks for backup...He's a terrible pundit and even worse analyst. He routinely picks players in his team of the week simply due to them being England internationals too.

He mustnt be too bright if he’s nearly putting Rudiger in his team for coming into the team in September and ‘never looking back’

Rudiger made 1 appearance in September before getting injured again until mid December, and the lad would hardly make Chelsea’s TOTS never mind the EPL one

Hard to take someone seriously when they’re that far off the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

--Allisson
    Trent--Van Dijk---Tarkowski--Roberston

De Bruyne--Henderson--
    Mane Pulisic
    Aubameyang
    Ings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Pope

TAA- VVD- Maguire- Robertson

KDB- Henderson- Fernandes

Vardy- Ings- Auba

It’s slim pickings at centre half for me, nobody obvious... didn’t really want Maguire....

Intresting that Salah h only made one team so far

He out scored and out assisted Sterling and Mane who've been in many teams including my own,

Also nice to see Burnley and Sheffield United player make it in some teams,

Surprised Joe Gomez hasn't made any

Be great if we could take the player most voted for here at tand see what the boards team of the season would like like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Intresting that Slaah only made one team so far

He out scored and out assisted Sterling and Mane who've been in many teams including my own,

Also nice to see Burnley and Sheffield United player make it in some teams,

Surprised Joe Gomez hasn't made any

Be great if we could take the player most voted for here at tand see what the boards team of the season would like like

Wouldnt that just be dominated by utd and liverpool players given the fans on the board?

Mine:

Pope

Taa soyuncu vvd robertson

Ndidi
    Henderson kdb

Sterling Vardy Mane

POKERKING wrote: »
    Wouldnt that just be dominated by utd and liverpool players given the fans on the board?

Mine:

Pope

Taa soyuncu vvd robertson

Ndidi
    Henderson kdb

Sterling Vardy Mane

So far everyones been fair with there picks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Pope

TAA - Mings - VVD - Robertson

Henderson - De Bruyne - Bruno

Mane - Ings - Salah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Pope

TAA VVD Egan Robertson

Henderson KDB Grealish

Auba Jimenez Mane

Difficulty choosing the 2nd CB but went for Egan.

Grealish is probably the single most important player for his team outside of maybe Auba.

Jimenez had a fantastic season too, beats out Ings and Vardy for his consistency for me even though he didn't match them for goals.

All others pretty easy to understand.

The who scored stats team of the year was Released for the stat lovers amongst us
    Leno
    Trent, VVD, Tarkoski, Digne
    Salah, Grealish, KDB, Mane
    Martial Jimenez

al87987 wrote: »
    Pope

TAA VVD Egan Robertson

Henderson KDB Grealish

Auba Jimenez Mane

Difficulty choosing the 2nd CB but went for Egan.

Grealish is probably the single most important player for his team outside of maybe Auba.

Jimenez had a fantastic season too, beats out Ings and Vardy for his consistency for me even though he didn't match them for goals.

All others pretty easy to understand.

That's fair although Vardy was top scorer he went through a very long period from December to after lockdown of not scoring or maybe he got one,
    A bit like Sterling when he's hot he's hot, but can have a long tíme being off form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Alison
    TAA VvD Soyuncu Robertson

Henderson

KdB B. Fernandes

Mane Ings PEA

I found Keeper and Centre half really difficult. Pope and Henderson are great alternatives. Likewise Egan, Tarkowski and Gomez are good shouts. I went with Fernandes in midfield as though he didn't play as much I don't see anyone else having as big an influence on a team! (Sorry I just got a little sick in my mouth)

adaminho wrote: »
    I went with Fernandes in midfield as though he didn't play as much I don't see anyone else having as big an influence on a team! (Sorry I just got a little sick in my mouth)

Grealish was involved in 35% of all Villa's league goals this season. Without him Villa would have been f**ked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Pope
    TAA. VVD SOYUNCO. ROBBO
    RICE
    STERLING. KDB MANE
    PEA. INGS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Grealish was involved in 35% of all Villa's league goals this season. Without him Villa would have been f**ked.

Jack Grealish 36 Apps 8 G 6 A
    Bruno Fernandes 14 Apps 8 G 7 A

I hate Utd but even I can see the difference!

adaminho wrote: »
    Jack Grealish 36 Apps 8 G 6 A
    Bruno Fernandes 14 Apps 8 G 7 A

I hate Utd but even I can see the difference!

If you're going by that Logic I think the majority of Bruno's goals where penalties.

I agree with Titan. I think Villa are 100% relegated without him.

Not saying he's a better player by any means. But his impact was just as important

If you're going by that Logic I think the majority of Bruno's goals where penalties.

I agree with Titan. I think Villa are 100% relegated without him.

Not saying he's a better player by any means. But his impact was just as important

Four of Fernandes goals were penalties. Don't think Grealish takes them for Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Four of Fernandes goals were penalties. Don't think Grealish takes them for Villa.

Penalties still have to be scored, some were high pressure penalties like yesterday...

Utd would not have gotten Champs League had they not signed Bruno

• Advertisement
Advertisement