Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL Team of the Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Rock77 wrote: »
    Penalties still have to be scored, some were high pressure penalties like yesterday...

Utd would not have gotten Champs League had they not signed Bruno

Yes they do, but the poster was clashing a persons goal and assists where one person is on penalties and one isn't doesn't work. It's an unfair advantage.

It's like saying TAA scored more Free Kicks than Wan B. The comparison doesn't work because Wan B doesn't take them. (FK not as easy as a Pen obviously, but it's an example of clashing stats that don't work)

A penalty favors the taker. Always will.

Your right Utd probably wouldn't have got CL without Bruno. Nobody is disputing that I don't think. The original poster just said that he couldn't think of anybody else with such influence. - Enter Grealish.

Edit: I've no problem thinking that Bruno had more Influence than Grealish FYI, I just don't think that comparison works regarding the penalty situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

If you're going by that Logic I think the majority of Bruno's goals where penalties.

I agree with Titan. I think Villa are 100% relegated without him.

Not saying he's a better player by any means. But his impact was just as important
    Where would Utd have finished without Fernandes?

I just think Fernandes had a bigger impact. We can agree to disagree but that was my reasoning for putting him in. I left out lot's of good players but those stats are hard to disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Yes they do, but the poster was clashing a persons goal and assists where one person is on penalties and one isn't doesn't work. It's an unfair advantage.

It's like saying TAA scored more Free Kicks than Wan B. The comparison doesn't work because Wan B doesn't take them. (FK not as easy as a Pen obviously, but it's an example of clashing stats that don't work)

A penalty favors the taker. Always will.

Your right Utd probably wouldn't have got CL without Bruno. Nobody is disputing that I don't think. The original poster just said that he couldn't think of anybody else with such influence. - Enter Grealish.

Ah but the guy that doesn’t take penalties played 22 games more and has less assists......

Ah yeah I hear you Grealish has been a major influence on Villa staying up but Bruno is a far, far superior footballer who had a major influence on his team finishing 3rd. In my mind the actual quality comes into play aswell.

Having said that Bruno only playing from Jan puts a question mark over him..

adaminho wrote: »
    Where would Utd have finished without Fernandes?

I just think Fernandes had a bigger impact. We can agree to disagree but that was my reasoning for putting him in. I left out lot's of good players but those stats are hard to disagree with.
    Ah but the guy that doesn’t take penalties played 22 games more and has less assists......

Ah yeah I hear you Grealish has been a major influence on Villa staying up but Bruno is a far, far superior footballer who had a major influence on his team finishing 3rd. In my mind the actual quality comes into play aswell.

Having said that Bruno only playing from Jan puts a question mark over him..

Agree completely Lads. I edited my post before seeing these replies which I think covers the statement :)

Agree completely Lads. I edited my post before seeing these replies which I think covers the statement :)

Damn you! I really thought my line

‘the guy who doesn’t take the pens played 22 games more and had less assists’ was my best comeback ever on boards!!!!!!

Damn you! I really thought my line

‘the guy who doesn’t take the pens played 22 games more and had less assists’ was my best comeback ever on boards!!!!!!

We can judge from the start of next season

P.S Bruno will win if Grealish stays at Villa :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Hopefully his Portuguese compatriot Gomes can outdo him next year!

We can judge from the start of next season

P.S Bruno will win if Grealish stays at Villa :pac:

Yeah that’s fair..

PS. Bruno will win by miles no matter who Grealish signs for! I don’t think Grealish will have a career at a top 4 club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Pope
    TAA-VVD-Egan-Robertson
    Henderson
    KDB-Fernandes
    Martial-Vardy-Mane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Pope
    TAA Soyuncu VVD Robertson
    KDB Henderson Bruno
    Salah Ings Mane

I actually think my team would work too!

Arguements could be made for Henderson, Egan, Kovacic, Mahrez too. Alisson & Fabinho didn't play enough games for me but when they did, they were top class and would be included based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Grealish was involved in 35% of all Villa's league goals this season. Without him Villa would have been f**ked.

Grealish has one goal and one assist since the middle of January. He's had a very poor second half to the season. Gets nowhere near team of the year for me.

• --Pope--

AWB---VVD--Egan--Robertson

--Ndidi--

KevinDB--Fernandes

Mane--Vardy--Auba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Allison

TAA - Egan - Van Dijk - Robertson

KDB - Henderson - Fabinho

Salah - Firmino - Mane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

eigrod wrote: »
    Allison

TAA - Egan - Van Dijk - Robertson

KDB - Henderson - Fabinho

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Firmino in TOTY, ah here, come on man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yea and in team just before that AWB at right back :pac:

• Advertisement

Pope
    TAA Soyuncu VVD Robertson
    Rodri Ndidi
    DeBruyne
    Sterling Mane
    Ings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Pope

TAA, Egan, Van Dijk, Robertson

De Bruyne, Henderson, Grealish

Sterling, Vardy, Mane

Absolutely vital component to the best team in the league this season. It’s not all about who puts the ball in the net. He’s got the best football brain in the league. I love him and this thread is about opinions, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

D. Henderson

AWB, Soyuncu, VVD, Robertson
    J. Henderson
    KDB, Bruno Fernandes
    TAA, Vardy, Mane

Absolutely vital component to the best team in the league this season. It’s not all about who puts the ball in the net. He’s got the best football brain in the league. I love him and this thread is about opinions, no?

nope its not, its about which player had the best season in that particular position, Firmino wouldnt be in the top 10 this season

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    nope its not, its about which player had the best season in that particular position, Firmino wouldnt be in the top 10 this season

And that’s a perfectly fair opinion to hold. As is one that he was outstanding, particularly up to the point of the Covid break. His workrate in Klopp’s pressing game is phenomenal and he has vision for a pass or a lay off like no other striker at the moment.

pjohnson wrote: »
    D. Henderson

AWB, Soyuncu, VVD, Robertson
    J. Henderson
    KDB, Bruno Fernandes
    TAA, Vardy, Mane

TAA plays right back? Prob the best right back in the world right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

he has vision for a pass or a lay off like no other striker at the moment.

tumblr_pxtq5rDkm01tf8a5ao1_500.gifv

Assist of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How can you pick someone other than TAA at RB? :confused:

AWB at right back is Man Utd bias to be fair lads...

Also Firmino in the team is Liverpool bias, he doesn’t score, Adama Traore has more assists! His work rate is the other thing mentioned..... hmmmm he works hard so put him in...

Egan is in a lot of teams, haven’t seen much of him at all but a great sign being picked in so many teams.

A vital component to how Liverpool play yes. TOTY should be stand out individual players in their position though no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wan Bissaka in for the YPOFTY in Alexander Arnold.

It just exposes someone who cant be objective.

Wan Bissaka superb in 1v1s. But on the ball he is awful
    Fernandes too been superb & would be in if he joined in August. But scored a lot of pens & not played enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Pope
    Trent - Egan - VVD - Robertson
    Henderson - Neves - De Bruyne
    Auba - Ings - Mane

Players I strongly considered but left out - Allison, Soyoncu, Fabinho, Ndidi, Sterling, Fernandes, Vardy

Players who had good seasons in their positions but didn't come close to my first choice - AWB, Stevens, Saka, Laporte, Mount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MD1990 wrote: »

Disagree.

He isn't great. But he is far from 'awful' on the ball, and he has shown marked improvement in tht regard since the start of the season too - getting into better attacking positions and showing a better crossing ability too. has 4 (not great...) PL assists, with a few really nice crosses.

In the last few games of the season his offensive play was poor, but he looked absolutely shattered like the rest of the team and his game suffered because of that, imo.

Attacking isn't a strength of his game - but I also wouldn't see him as a liability out there, which is what awful would require. And I will be interested to see how he does when (hopefully) Sancho is out there on the right to take some defenders off him. Through out much of the season he was on his own out right as the forward came central, which meant he was easily doubled and nullified.

His passing and assists match up well vs most right backs in the league (apart from TAA).
    Matches Walker for assists. Beats Pereira, Beats Doherty. 1 behind Aurier. 4 against 6 for Azpilicueta.
    His passing completion is comparible or better than most players.

He isn't awful.

AWB at right back is Man Utd bias to be fair lads...

Also Firmino in the team is Liverpool bias, he doesn’t score, Adama Traore has more assists! His work rate is the other thing mentioned..... hmmmm he works hard so put him in...

Egan is in a lot of teams, haven’t seen much of him at all but a great sign being picked in so many teams.

i think a lot have Egan in as he is Irish, hes had a good season no doubt but Maguire has been much better and United finished 3rd in the league and have the 3rd best defence in the league this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Am I the only person who picked Mings? People talk about Grealish but Villa wouldn't be staying up without Mings for me, he was excellent whenever I saw him. Only missed a few games around Christmas and I think he'd be getting much more praise if he played for a top 6 side.

8-10 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who picked Mings? People talk about Grealish but Villa wouldn't be staying up without Mings for me, he was excellent whenever I saw him. Only missed a few games around Christmas and I think he'd be getting much more praise if he played for a top 6 side.

yes, for a player of the year team, in a team who had the 2nd worse defence in the league it was a strange choice to be fair

i think a lot have Egan in as he is Irish, hes had a good season no doubt but Maguire has been much better and United finished 3rd in the league and have the 3rd best defence in the league this year

I guess people see different things and are use different criteria to pick their team of the season. My opinion on Maguire is that he is distinctly average. When I think of Maguire I think of a CB who has missed quite a few headers on attacking corner kicks and is quite slow and cumbersome. He seems to have a mistake or two in him every game. I think his stats have benefited from Utd tending to set up quite defensively against the more dangerous attacking teams in the league and have played a deep defensive line.

I guess people see different things and are use different criteria to pick their team of the season. My opinion on Maguire is that he is distinctly average. When I think of Maguire I think of a CB who has missed quite a few headers on attacking corner kicks and is quite slow and cumbersome. He seems to have a mistake or two in him every game. I think his stats have benefited from Utd tending to set up quite defensively against the more dangerous attacking teams in the league and have played a deep defensive line.

you havent watched every united game if you think that then

you havent watched every united game if you think that then

True I haven't watched every game, that's why I posted how it seems from the matches I have watched. However I have seen enough to form an opinion.

Wan Bissaka in for the YPOFTY in Alexander Arnold.

It just exposes someone who cant be objective.

Fernandes too been superb & would be in if he joined in August. But scored a lot of pens & not played enough.

I think it says a lot that in the Crystal Palace v Man Utd game, Crystal Palace (his old club) just let him have as much space as he wanted on the wing and let him have the ball. They were prepared to double up on the other wing/other players instead. The commentators were referring to it a lot at the time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As a Liverpool fan Firmino should be no where near team of the year he had a poor season by his own standard , even though he was still good, no way he gets in the team,

AWB is a good player but Trent far ahead on his own this season ,
    Id even say Doherty has been better than AWB this season but he's a wing back

Maguire for me is about the 4 or 5th best CB this season,
    He is great for long periods but then has moments where he look awful
    Since the restart for the Spurs , Bournemouth and Saint goals he literally looked like a Sunday league player, but then was good for the rest of those matches,

Seems on here its between Egan and Tarkowski to partner VVD, Tarkowski stat wise was the second best CB this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Maguire has made plenty of errors. He is a 20m CB. Decent player no way should he be captain not good enough to be a leader he needs a top class CB beside him. Reminds me of a better Lovren.

That said not many CB's have stood out in the PL.

Such a hard position with so many quick players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TAA plays right back? Prob the best right back in the world right now

Defensively I prefer AWB but TAA offensively is insane. If it wasn't for the potent front three Liverpool have I could see TAA as a midfielder/winger.

I think the two together would completely dominate the entire right hand side.

• Advertisement

Maguire has made plenty of errors. He is a 20m CB. Decent player no way should he be captain not good enough to be a leader he needs a top class CB beside him. Reminds me of a better Lovren.

That said not many CB's have stood out in the PL.

Such a hard position with so many quick players.

20m?! :pac:

• In his very first season at Utd, AWB has I believe the most succesfull tackles in the league, with the lowest amount of fouls committed
    One of the highest for blocks and interceptions also
    Some people watching football like to see their defenders defend

i think a lot have Egan in as he is Irish

Fantasy Football bias from me. I just recall post covid his goals and the clean sheets :pac:

In his very first season at Utd, AWB has I believe the most succesfull tackles in the league, with the lowest amount of fouls committed

Trent is not only the best right back in England, but the best Right back in Europe.

A shoe in for young player of the year and a shoe in for team of the year.

a class act

• I never once mentioned Trent

In his very first season at Utd, AWB has I believe the most succesfull tackles in the league, with the lowest amount of fouls committed

Making the most tackles is not exactly something to be proud of. Especially at a club at the top end of the table. It's like being proud of having a goalkeeper make the most saves because the defence was poor and kept conceding chances. Having a high tackle success would be something to be proud of.

AWB was booked 8 times in the league. Only 3 defenders were booked more, and the highest number of bookings for a defender was 10.

• Advertisement

• Fitz* wrote: »
    Making the most tackles is not exactly something to be proud of. Especially at a club at the top end of the table. It's like being proud of having a goalkeeper make the most saves because the defence was poor and kept conceding chances. Having a high tackle success would be something to be proud of.

AWB was booked 8 times in the league. Only 3 defenders were booked more, and the highest number of bookings for a defender was 10.

You are entitled to your opinion

I don't agree however

pjohnson wrote: »
    Defensively I prefer AWB but TAA offensively is insane. If it wasn't for the potent front three Liverpool have I could see TAA as a midfielder/winger.

I think the two together would completely dominate the entire right hand side.

Personally I think people underestimate how good Trent is defensively
    He got skinned in a games few years ago when he was 18 and people seem to have made there mind up ,

He's been part of the best back 4 two years running now ,His tackle completion % is the same as AWB this season

He's also a year younger,

His tackle success rate is the same as Trent at 62 %
    He made 1 less foul than Trent

I never once mentioned Trent

no but you have AWB in the team ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

AWB is not even in the top fifty for blocks .

• Advertisement
Advertisement