Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL Team of the Season

Comments

Personally I think people underestimate how good Trent is defensively
    He got skinned in a games few years ago when he was 18 and people seem to have made there mind up ,

He's been part of the best back 4 two years running now ,His tackle completion % is the same as AWB this season

He's also a year younger,

Yep.

It's the new 'young Ben Foster' even when he was like 29.

• Feel free to start a comparison among the players. I don't agree with your choice nor am I getting into a willy waving exercise among two clubs.
    I'm sharing my team and indicating why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Feel free to start a comparison among the players. I don't agree with your choice nor am I getting into a willy waving exercise among two clubs.

Anyone entitled to there own opinion on teams of the season

Trent been spoken as the actually player of the season by many in the media and former players to not have him in the right back spot on this season performances is actually laughable in my opinion ,

Every season some players pick themselves and this season Trent , VVD, KDB aren't even up for discussion if you ask me,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Trent, VVD, Robertson and KDB aren't up for discussion, the rest you can make an argument for whoever you pick.

rob316 wrote: »
    Trent, VVD, Robertson and KDB aren't up for discussion, the rest you can make an argument for whoever you pick.

There is at least a debate to be had about Robbo & Digne , although I'd go Robbo , the other 3 there's no even question to be had,

• There are other players up for discussion. There is no rule to state they are not.
    That's the purpose of choice on this thread and the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wan Bissaka in for the YPOFTY in Alexander Arnold.

It just exposes someone who cant be objective.

Wan Bissaka superb in 1v1s. But on the ball he is awful
    Fernandes too been superb & would be in if he joined in August. But scored a lot of pens & not played enough.

Love this post.... exposes someone who can’t be objective...

While listing why the Man Utd players shouldn’t be in, nothing about Firmino however.. lol

Firmino only has one more assist than Bruno if I’m not mistaken and the argument is Firmino didn’t score a lot but it’s not about who puts the ball in the net.....

TAA has to be right back, Bruno in or out is ok because he only joined in Jan, Firmino wouldn’t get near this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

call a spade a spade here, putting Firmino and AWB into the team of the year means you havent watched much football, or only football from the team you support. with the players they are up against, they are no where near going into the team of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rock77 wrote: »

While listing why the Man Utd players shouldn’t be in, nothing about Firmino however.. lol

Firmino only has one more assist than Bruno if I’m not mistaken and the argument is Firmino didn’t score a lot but it’s not about who puts the ball in the net.....

TAA has to be right back, Bruno in or out is ok because he only joined in Jan, Firmino wouldn’t get near this team.

Is Firmino in any team? I not seen him mentioned

I wouldn't have him in missed far too many chances.

Rock77 wrote: »

A number of us including myself who is a Liverpool fan said Firmino is no where near team of the season ,

Bruno no qualms if someone puts him in there team he has been unreal only argument against is time,

When i put my team down I said the only reason he was not in it was because of the formation i had,

Himself and Sterling could go into my team no problem ,

Bissaka or anyone in place of Trent is just absolute nonsense

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Is Firmino in any team? I not seen him mentioned

I wouldn't have him in missed far too many chances.

He was in one team ,

bangkok wrote: »
    call a spade a spade here, putting Firmino and AWB into the team of the year means you havent watched much football, or only football from the team you support. with the players they are up against, they are no where near going into the team of the year

Might sound a bit much but you'd instantly lose credibility to pick either "THIS" season ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You have Harry Maguire in your team of the year because of his stats and the club having the 3rd best defence

Yet AWB plays in the same defence and has more tackles this season than anyone else in the league, more than double the tackle count of anyone else at the same club, but is "no where near" getting in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

So the thread has already turned from give us your team of the season to your team of the season must include x, y or z otherwise you are wrong

FWIW my team would be

Pope

AWB-VVD-Egan-Digne

Ndidi

KDB-B. Fernandes

Mane-Ings-Grealish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Allison

---TAA---Van Dijk---Söyüncü---Robertson---

Henderson

De Bruyne
    Sterling

Ings
    Vardy
    Mane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Think it's been a very "bitty" season for a lot of players, even here the break for lockdown.

My team...

GK - Allison Becker
    RB - TAA
    CB - VVD
    CB - Evans
    LB - Robertson
    CM - KDB
    DM - Ndidi
    CM - Fernandes
    RF - Vardy
    CF - Ings
    LF - Aubameyang

Found picking a second centre back and DM most difficult.

Was between Vardy and Mane for the last attacking spot. Mane was brilliant on the early part of the season, but felt he tailed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

A number of us including myself who is a Liverpool fan said Firmino is no where near team of the season ,

Bruno no qualms if someone puts him in there team he has been unreal only argument against is time,

When i put my team down I said the only reason he was not in it was because of the formation i had,

Himself and Sterling could go into my team no problem ,

Bissaka or anyone in place of Trent is just absolute nonsense

There was a conversation a few pages back about why Firmino should be in the team, complete with gifs of assists..

I found it funny that the next poster said that the people with Man Utd players in their team couldn’t be objective.... while not mentioning Firmino.
    Turns out he didn’t see the Firmino conversation. No harm done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Feel free to start a comparison among the players. I don't agree with your choice nor am I getting into a willy waving exercise among two clubs.

You can pick whoever you want...but when you list off a few statistics with why 'x' player should be in the team then don't be surprised when people pick that data apart.
    Just like you said AWB is near the top for blocks, when he's not even in the top 50!
    AWB has the most tackles but the likes of Aurier has a better successful tackle percentage! So who's the better of the two then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Was between Vardy and Mane for the last attacking spot. Mane was brilliant on the early part of the season, but felt he tailed off.

Mane has 8 goals in 2020, Vardy has 6...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Also realising all the triple initials I thought to try.

BPF
    AWB, VVD, ? , PVA
    TAA, KDB, PEH, JWP, AMN
    PEA

Couldn't fit in KWP and cant think of another CB with 3 letters.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Very hard to pick forwards this year as many have been at the same level,

Vardy,Ings,PEA, Mane , Sterling ,Martial,Salah , all worth a spot if you ask me just goes down to personally preference,

Forgot Jimenez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I actually think that at the end of September, which was only about 7 games I know, that Firmino was in the running for player of the year. Certainly one of the better players at the start of the season. But as I said, 7 games is no barometer but he was on course IMO.

But, he did not maintain that level. I wouldn't have him in any team of the year, and I am a massive Firmino fan. Ings, Jimenez, PEA, Vardy, Martial, Aguero, have all had better league seasons overall. But I do understand the thoughts behind him being a team player etc but team of the year is always a group of individuals as opposed to an actual team! It's hypothetical, and subjective.

8-10 wrote: »
    You have Harry Maguire in your team of the year because of his stats and the club having the 3rd best defence

Yet AWB plays in the same defence and has more tackles this season than anyone else in the league, more than double the tackle count of anyone else at the same club, but is "no where near" getting in the team

i have Maguire in my team as the position he plays in there is not too many standout performers and he has had a very good season.

Like i said, most have Egan on the team as he is Irish and one put him on the team as he got good scores in Fantasy football (mind you that might be the reason more have him on theres :pac:)

pjohnson wrote: »
    Also realising all the triple initials I thought to try.

BPF
    AWB, VVD, ? , PVA
    TAA, KDB, PEH, JWP, AMN
    PEA

Couldn't fit in KWP and cant think of another CB with 3 letters.

JOC....Sheffield United :-p

i have Maguire in my team as the position he plays in there is not too many standout performers and he has had a very good season.

Like i said, most have Egan on the team as he is Irish and one put him on the team as he got good scores in Fantasy football (mind you that might be the reason more have him on theres :pac:)

Harsh a lot of us think Egan has simply been better than Maguire and in a worse team,

Iv said loads of times Maguire looks great for 89 minutes then out of no where looks Sunday league like against Spurs, Saints and Bournemouth since lockdown

Personally I think Egan been more consistent than Maguire,
    I also think Tarkowski , Gomez and Söyüncü have had better seasons than Maguire

But each to there own ,

• Advertisement

• NITRO95 wrote: »
    So the thread has already turned from give us your team of the season to your team of the season must include x, y or z otherwise you are wrong

FWIW my team would be

Pope

AWB-VVD-Egan-Digne

Ndidi

KDB-B. Fernandes

Mane-Ings-Grealish

It's incredibly odd alright.

I was considering Grealish in my selection so good choice.

I'd argue it's not all about stats ect. I think he still is near the single reason Villa stayed up. That's a good enough reason IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

GK - Pope
    RB - Trent
    LB - Robertson
    CB - Van Dijk
    CB - Gomez
    CM - Fabinho
    CM - Henderson
    CM - De Bruyne
    RWF - Salah
    LWF - Mane
    CF - Vardy

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    JOC....Sheffield United :-p

Boom that's XI.

Not actually too bad a side considering the criteria :pac:

It's incredibly odd alright.

I was considering Grealish in my selection so good choice.

I'd argue it's not all about stats ect. I think he still is near the single reason Villa stayed up. That's a good enough reason IMO

I agree he's been great but id have him in midfield rather than the front 3 ,
    Again its all just personal preference,

pjohnson wrote: »
    Boom that's XI.

Not actually too bad a side considering the criteria :pac:

Have ya got ASM in there?

• Advertisement

Harsh a lot of us think Egan has simply been better than Maguire and in a worse team,

Iv said loads of times Maguire looks great for 89 minutes then out of no where looks Sunday league like against Spurs, Saints and Bournemouth since lockdown

Personally I think Egan been more consistent than Maguire,
    I also think Tarkowski , Gomez and Söyüncü have had better seasons than Maguire

But each to there own ,

honest question, how many times have you seen sheff united play this season?

Grealish one goal and one assist since middle of January. Id argue it's the likes of Mings and Luiz that has kept villa up more than Grealish,but each to their own.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Have ya got ASM in there?

Significant upgrade on AMN. We'll beast this XI yet!

Wouldn't even have Grealish in the second team of the season, nevermind the first.

Overrated and inconsistent imo.

Some team will waste a lot of money on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Thinking about this further you can get a decent XI without the top 6 I think

Pope

Doherty - Tark - Egan - Digne

Rice
    Dendoncker Cantwell

Traore Ings Aubam

Definitely probably some better ones

Thinking about this further you can get a decent XI without the top 6 I think

Pope

Doherty - Tark - Egan - Digne

Rice
    Dendoncker Cantwell

Traore Ings Grealish

Definitely probably some better ones

think you forgot aubameyang!! Arsenal finished 8th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

think you forgot aubameyang!! Arsenal finished 8th :)

You're dead right. Edited now. I was stuck on Troare and St.Maxi!

I think I'm even wrong on the edit. He normally played LW wasn't it?

Regarding left backs, Chilwell >>> Digne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fitz* wrote: »
    Making the most tackles is not exactly something to be proud of. Especially at a club at the top end of the table. It's like being proud of having a goalkeeper make the most saves because the defence was poor and kept conceding chances. Having a high tackle success would be something to be proud of.

AWB was booked 8 times in the league. Only 3 defenders were booked more, and the highest number of bookings for a defender was 10.

In certain contexts I would agree with you, but no on AWB.

He isn't making tackles because of poor positioning, imo. He is making tackles because he can and likes to - while other players in the same position as him would jockey the opponent or look to block the cross down, force them backwards etc... AWB sticks his foot in.

Comparing him to Shaw, Pereira and TAA.

Per 90mins.

Records the most interceptions. 1.9 vs 1 (Shaw), 1.8 (Pereira), 1.2 (TAA)
    Records the most blocks. 0.4 vs 0.3 (Shaw), 0.2 (Pereira), 0.2 (TAA)
    Joint fewest fouls. 0.6 vs 1 (Shaw), 1.6 (Pereira), 0.6 (TAA)
    Fewest clearances 1.7 vs 2.1 (Shaw). 2.6 (Pereira), 1.8 (TAA)
    Second most tackles 3.7 vs 1.4 (Shaw). 4.3 (Pereira), 1.4 (TAA)
    Joint lowest dribbled past 0.6 vs 0.6 (Shaw). 1.9 (Pereira), 1.1 (TAA)

Defensively he is very good rather than making up for shortcomings.

His passing/crossing is a weak aspect of his game, but far from 'awful' as MD said, for the most part. the last few matches were plain bad for him going forward. But from January onwards there he was becoming much more of a threat. If you take TAA as the average for a fullback, then yeah, AWB could be argued to be awful. but TAA is not an average fullback - he is superb.

When you compare AWB to most other fullbacks I would say he is better defensively, and no where near as bad on the ball as people would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

rossie1977 wrote: »

It's not just about goals.

• Advertisement

It's not just about goals.

Exactly. Because if it was, Vardy would have to be in every team. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

He isn't making tackles because of poor positioning, imo. He is making tackles because he can and likes to - while other players in the same position as him would jockey the opponent or look to block the cross down, force them backwards etc... AWB sticks his foot in.

Per 90mins.

His passing/crossing is a weak aspect of his game, but far from 'awful' as MD said, for the most part. the last few matches were plain bad for him going forward. But from January onwards there he was becoming much more of a threat. If you take TAA as the average for a fullback, then yeah, AWB could be argued to be awful. but TAA is not an average fullback - he is superb.

When you compare AWB to most other fullbacks I would say he is better defensively, and no where near as bad on the ball as people would have you believe.
    As a United fan I agree here. Its why we need Sancho honestly. Just let AWB be a RB as he is quite a rock at the back, be an avenue for passes in midfield but just let him defend. Wing backs are great if you don't have a good winger but when you do, if they can defend them just let them defend.

Shaw is a lot better as a LWB then as a straight LB, opposite is true for AWB. Wouldn't have him in my team of the season over a true starlet in TAA.

Per 90mins.

I'm not a big fan of stats for defenders they can be so misleading

A few examples

Trent has headed more clearance than Bissaka but Bissaka has won more aerial battles and also lost more aerial battles than Trent (WTF)

Trent has more clearances than Bissaka but what's a clearance ? is it a good thing or bad thing ? Would a pass not be better ?

Trent has more recoveries what's a recovery ?

Bissaka has won way more tackles but attempted way more but only 1% difference in successful tackles, So is it good or bad Bissaka tries more tackles but only has the same success rate ?

Trent has lost less duels than Bissaka ,How to define a duel .

I think iv you've watched football for a long time like most of us, its best to use your eyes and look at what you are seeing than looking at stats of players in different teams, playing different styles against teams who approach each team slightly different

Id rather take peoples opinion of who's there right back of the season than look at stats to define it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FWIW, my 11 is as follows

Pope or Henderson (can't decide)

AWB - Ake - VVD - Robertson

KDB - Ndidi-Fernandes

Sterling - PEA - Mane

brinty wrote: »

KDB - Ndidi-Fernandes

Sterling - PEA - Mane

Ake now there's a left field choice, :D

from a team thats relegated :pac:

65 goals conceded is more the issue

• brinty wrote: »

KDB - Ndidi-Fernandes

Sterling - PEA - Mane

Decent choice. Especially at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

While I dont think he was best CB, Ake is fine CB and reason he is off to City and plays and scored for Dutch National team in last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Decent choice. Especially at right back.

Hasn't been a classic season, but i think everyone is entitled to their opinion on their 11. There will never be unanimous support for an 11 and that's what makes for good debate.

Ake is a target for both Manchester clubs with Ole saying he needed a left footed centre back after their recent game.

And didn't Scott Parker win POTY the same year his team were relegated from the premier league, so don't see why relegation should rule Ake out.

• Advertisement

• brinty wrote: »
    Hasn't been a classic season, but i think everyone is entitled to their opinion on their 11. There will never be unanimous support for an 11 and that's what makes for good debate.

Ake is a target for both Manchester clubs with Ole saying he needed a left footed centre back after their recent game.

And didn't Scott Parker win POTY the same year his team were relegated from the premier league, so don't see why relegation should rule Ake out.

Good reasoning for Ake
    One liners like 'team that got relegated' doesn't paint the full picture

Advertisement