Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL Team of the Season

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Good reasoning for Ake
    One liners like 'team that got relegated' doesn't paint the full picture

Ake - i thought so too ;)

And people are full of one liners at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

brinty wrote: »
    Hasn't been a classic season, but i think everyone is entitled to their opinion on their 11. There will never be unanimous support for an 11 and that's what makes for good debate.

Ake is a target for both Manchester clubs with Ole saying he needed a left footed centre back after their recent game.

And didn't Scott Parker win POTY the same year his team were relegated from the premier league, so don't see why relegation should rule Ake out.

He sure did but didn't make it into the official team of the season ,

Roy Keane and Andy Johnson made it into team of the season being relegated ,the only 2

Nothing wrong with Ake hence why City are looking at him but like your right back there just other guys who have been better than him this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

A shame to see others laughing at other people’s choices. Disagree all you want and say why but quoting someone’s selection with a smiley paceman after it or whatever is pretty condescending imo.

I haven’t put a team up but have enjoyed reading people’s choices and the counter arguments for the perceived controversial ones.

Good reasoning for Ake
    One liners like 'team that got relegated' doesn't paint the full picture

Bayern are looking at Max Aarons hardly reason to say he should be in team of the season ,

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

..............Henderson

Trent - Gomez - VVD - Robertson

..................Ndidi
    .........Henderson...KDB

....Auba ....Vardy........Mane

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Wasn't there a TAA v AWB thread before? Who won last time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm not a big fan of stats for defenders they can be so misleading

A few examples

Trent has headed more clearance than Bissaka but Bissaka has won more aerial battles and also lost more aerial battles than Trent (WTF)

Trent has more clearances than Bissaka but what's a clearance ? is it a good thing or bad thing ? Would a pass not be better ?

Trent has more recoveries what's a recovery ?

Bissaka has won way more tackles but attempted way more but only 1% difference in successful tackles, So is it good or bad Bissaka tries more tackles but only has the same success rate ?

Trent has lost less duels than Bissaka ,How to define a duel .

I think iv you've watched football for a long time like most of us, its best to use your eyes and look at what you are seeing than looking at stats of players in different teams, playing different styles against teams who approach each team slightly different

Id rather take peoples opinion of who's there right back of the season than look at stats to define it ,
    I'm not arguing that AWB is better than TAA.

I'm not using the stats to say one is better than the other.

I'm arguing that his tackle numbers aren't actually an indication that he is poor. and that his ability on the ball isn't 'awful'. I'm comparing him to other defenders to show how he stacks up numbers wise, and that nothing indicates he is actually a poor player.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a TAA v AWB thread before? Who won last time?

Probably was sir, but think people are entitled to have an opinion on things ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Settle down and be more civil please.

Remember, the league season may be over, but Yellow Cards stay on your account.

As always, do not quote or reply to this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If you were given a 1000 euro free bet and it was to put on who do you think will be right back in team of the season, its a no brainer

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    A shame to see others laughing at other people’s choices. Disagree all you want and say why but quoting someone’s selection with a smiley paceman after it or whatever is pretty condescending imo.

I haven’t put a team up but have enjoyed reading people’s choices and the counter arguments for the perceived controversial ones.

I think your aiming that at me because I said "Ake now that's left field :D"
    It wasn't a go at the poster , it was just a smile because of the back and fort about Maguire inclusion in some teams , I thought the selection of Ake would put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak ,

Its a discussion board where are so suppose to discuss opinions ,I was not laughing at him,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Exactly. Because if it was, Vardy would have to be in every team. ;)

Ah, I see you're a Liverpool fan now. No surprise you had an issue with Mane being left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

bangkok wrote: »
    If you were given a 1000 euro free bet and it was to put on who do you think will be right back in team of the season, its a no brainer

Depends on the odds :)

Seriously though, I'd have TAA, Doherty & Pereira as my first 3 choices this season for that position.

I'm not arguing that AWB is better than TAA.

I'm not using the stats to say one is better than the other.

I'm arguing that his tackle numbers aren't actually an indication that he is poor. and that his ability on the ball isn't 'awful'. I'm comparing him to other defenders to show how he stacks up numbers wise, and that nothing indicates he is actually a poor player.

I know me either

I was agreeing and showing how stat's can be misleading and taken in different ways,

Example if there's a ball played forward and the right back(whoever) is standing over at left back a stat won't record that ,
    If a right back decied I'm just going to bother track my player a stat won't record that,

Much prefer to take peoples opinions from watching games than stats ,

I was agreeing with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »

Going by some of the previous years version of the team I wouldn't be suprised to see Kyle Walker get the spot tbh.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Going by some of the previous years version of the team I wouldn't be suprised to see Kyle Walker get the spot tbh.

Or Kyle Walker Peters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Ah, I see you're a Liverpool fan now. No surprise you had an issue with Mane being left out.

A Liverpool fan "now"? I've always been a Liverpool fan!:p
    I've no issue with Mane being left out. Everyone is entitled to their incorrect opinion.
    You said it was not just about goals and I agreed with you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A Liverpool fan "now"? I've always been a Liverpool fan!:p
    I've no issue with Mane being left out. Everyone is entitled to their incorrect opinion.
    You said it was not just about goals and I agreed with you.:)

Mane plays LW. Auba played LW a lot of the season.I can see plenty who can argue Aubam had a better season. Hardly 'incorrect'

Mane plays LW. Auba played LW a lot of the season.I can see plenty who can argue Aubam had a better season. Hardly 'incorrect'

What you on about?
    It was mane v vardy debate.
    I'll explain...
    The comment was made that mane's level had dropped off in the final part of the season and that's why vardy was picked by a poster on here.
    Then it was pointed out mane had more goals than vardy in this period.
    Then it was commented it's not all about goals. Then I agreed with that stating otherwise vardy would have to be in every team of the year,which he isn't.
    Nothing to do with Auba at all.

What you on about?
    I'll explain...

I'll explain....

''I've no issue with Mane being left out. Everyone is entitled to their incorrect opinion.''

Indicating that anyone that left Mane out is incorrect.

• Advertisement

I'll explain....

''I've no issue with Mane being left out. Everyone is entitled to their incorrect opinion.''

Indicating that anyone that left Mane out is incorrect.

Ah right, I apologize for my poorly constructed attempt at humour.

rob316 wrote: »
    How can you pick someone other than TAA at RB? :confused:

I think perriera at lecister at least deserves a mention, think he has the most tackles per game in Europe or in the top 5 and he is good going forward too.

Can we n play 2 rbs, trents been exceptional Though but thought he was worth a shout out

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

Pope
    TAA Gomez Van Dijk Robertson
    Rice
    Henderson KDB
    Salah Vardy Mane

Honourable mentions: Egan, Doherty, Chilwell, Fabinho, Ings, Aubamayeng.

Player of the year for me in Kevin De Bruyne. I think he’s been the best player in the league. If I had to choose a Liverpool player, I’d pick Van Dijk as I don’t think they win the league without him. I think they’ve enough there to replace everyone else and win the league with City being so poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Alisson

TAA Gomez VVD Robbo

Fabinho

Hendo KDB

Salah Bobby Mane

I was going to put Gini in instead of KDB but didn't want to come across as being biased towards Liverpool.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Alisson

TAA Gomez VVD Robbo

Fabinho

Hendo KDB

Salah Bobby Mane

I was going to put Gini in instead of KDB but didn't want to come across as being biased towards Liverpool.

I enjoyed this. :pac:

Advertisement