Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The boys were working hard yesterday. 1 1/2 hour football show and then another 45 minute pod drops after 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭halfpastneverr

A rare treat of Murph-less football show yesterday. Flows so much better without his endless interuptions and attempts at jokes. Leave Ken & Eoin to it please!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Lampard back at Chelsea maybe, yes please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken talking about having dramatic music playing while you go about your day was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Ken is on flying form lately and now lampard is possible going back to Chelsea we're about to get even more juicy content 😀

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was delighted when I saw that news. The Lampard audiobed where he's looking at the Everton squad and hearing sad music is one of my favourites.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That's actually the Chelsea squad he's looking at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I think the addition of Murphy is a poor choice too. He also seems fairly dull. You need someone with a bit of life to them. I like gaa but found myself skipping their preview. Whereas I have almost zero interest in golf but enjoyed donegan and us Murphs chat about the masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Not sure what to make of the Sarah Rowe propaganda pod. She is definitely trying to get into the WC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 john_galt

They might have viewed the interview as an opportunity to get some open dialogue on a couple of topics similiar to the Jack Conan one earlier in the week. The way it played out they could have pulled the plug on this one early enough, I think Ken sensed it was basically dead air with some of the interjections later on in the piece.

Good pod for the Lampard stuff alone however 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Ken clearly thinks Real Madrid employ nefarious methods in their surprising ability to cope with the rigors of intense competition.

wonder has he heard anything or it’s just the same bullshit theory any of us could dream up.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I think they really need to rethink their gaa coverage - hurling and football.

Also having players on rarely works in the last few weeks between baird conan lowe Murphy and flynn I found myself just zoning.. its all just corporate buzzword bullsh1t. There will be exceptions to this.

Journalist are much more insightful - like donegan who aren't afraid to call something what it is.

(Thinking his review of Full Swing )

I thought the Conan interview was pretty good but the one with Baird was dire. Ive been giving the GAA coverage a miss since McConville left and I skipped the interview yesterday - seems like I didn’t miss anything. Sometimes I consider pausing my subscription but then there’s pure gold like Ken on Lampard that keeps me hooked

Agreed with you re:players. 95% of them have nothing interesting to say.

That interview yesterday with Sarah Rowe. She has moved between various different sports which should be interesting from a comparison point of view. But it seems pretty obvious to me that she has asked Vera Paauw if she needs to be playing in Ireland to have a chance of making the World Cup, but she was letting on she hadn't, and that the interview wasn't a come-and-get-me plea.

Also thought her answers on the shorts issue were completely "I want to make the world cup so I can't be seen to criticize the FAI here" rather than having the courage to back up the girls who do have an issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

To be honest if they want to turn the football pod into a 35 mins women's football thing I won't be tuning in anymore. No matter how it's dressed up I find it incredibly incredibly boring.

Separate pod is grand.

Really enjoyed today's podcast, Joe Brolly was very interesting, Dionne Fanning I find kinda dull though,don't think he adds anything when he's on, He hardly said two words on today's episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭halfpastneverr

I'm not into GAA so have no idea how his analysis is viewed, but Brolly just annoys me (his comment about money in todays pod sums it up for me) and Fanning is a bore. I'd have zero interest in that new pod anyway.

Didn't like Murph being shoehorned into Ken's politics pod either, less of that from now on please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Which money comment are you talking about?

I really enjoyed the podcast. I thought Murph was pretty good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Enjoyed it very much. Would've liked to hear McDevitt in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Paul Flynn and Michael Murphy will be tough to listen to if that's their GAA football pundits for the year. Oisin McConville a big loss as at least he had a bit of personality and mischief to him. Murphy seemingly has replaced him and is very dour. Their football championship preview was tough to get through. And I'm into GAA.

I'd imagine Murph was on as he would know far more about Brolly than Kem does.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

Sarah Rowe is only interested in staying relevant. It would be some indictment of women’s sport if she was able to force her way into the World Cup squad.

Women’s national team qualify for a World Cup and she decides, you know what, I fancy a bit of that. How low can the standard be if you can be years away from a sport and then come back and play in a World Cup. Imagine that happening in any other top sport, playing GAA for Dubl then going to a World Cup a couple of months later. Incredible neck really

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

Given Rowe’s history with everything, be it dating life etc, she’s clearly only interested in being in the spotlight and the centre of attention

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Israel Folau is the most recent i can think of that switched codes at a high level.

Kevin Moran was pretty successful and highly celebrated for it.

Michael Jordan less successful. Pretty sure it's common in Australia with cricket in the summer and field sports in the winter.

Surely she'd be in and around the squad already if she was in contention. I think VP may have given her positive vibes just to have her own cover. A series of unfortunate injuries and I'd say the pickings wood be fairly slim. No harm telling SR to come back to Ireland and play even if there's only 1% chance of calling her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It was an odd podcast. It was almost a chat about nothing, but interesting all the same. Brolly's comment about Piers Morgan at the end was epic though, burst out laughing in the car.

I've downloaded their podcast to give it a try, sounds like it might be interesting stuff.

Brolly said if he tried to be a tony robbins type guru he would make 10s of millions out of it.

Sure joe sure, just another highly dubious comment in a media career of highly dubious comments

I can’t work out if he believes his own bullshit or if it’s all purely for show .

He’s entertaining enough in small doses but I wouldn’t be able to handle his attention-seeking for a whole series

Can I shock you? Piers and Brolly are pretty similar in their media careers and public personalities.

they both got by on their own talent initially in their careers before discovering the way to stay relevant was to attack other high profile people and that’s their calling card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bamayang

Listened to the first 2 episodes of brollys new Pod, found it very hard going.

Really enjoy Dion on SC, but he’s not going to get much a look in, with Brolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Brolly can be grating at times but he was bang on the money with his contributions here, particularly when speaking about the proliferation of grifters who have blighted popular discourse in recent years. Dion is a good contributor whenever he is on and I think he will serve as a good counterweight to Brolly in their new podcast. I'll definitely be giving it a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Wouldn't mind brolly to be on once a month for the GAA.

Turned on the Sunday game last night and that drip flynn yapping away - how has he become such a voice for analysis..

RTE want bland analysts these days, nobody who might offend someone or cause a rumpus on Twitter is welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Listened to the SC podcast with Joe Brolly, thought it was good enough. Then listened to the 2 Free State podcast episodes and really the SC podcast was like a "best of" the first 2 podcasts. A lot of repeated stories so not as off the cuff as I had thought. Wonder how much legs the new pod will have.

There must be someone better than Andrew Mangan out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I really like the handbrake off podcast with Amy laurance and Adrian Clarke when it comes to the gunners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Haven't heard Amy Lawrence on a podcast in ages. She's great. Does she do any general football podcasts any more? Not going to listen to an arsenal one. She was an early guardian football great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

• Advertisement

Not sure about Ken today. He was defending Trent's defensive ability despite Trent making a ridiculous amount of mistakes this season.

He was more outraged at the linesman elbow than he was at Mitrovic and he was giving the impression this was rampant behaviour by match officials. At least Eoin called him out on it. Robertson has always been a moany fucker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

There was other games on this weekend

I don’t know why they get him on, he’s just an arsenal fanboy. If I want to listen to fan podcasts there are thousands out there, the reason i subscribe to SC is for more objective analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Totally agree with this. He's completely biased, which is fine to a point, but its like contacting a random fan of X club to talk about a big match. I presume its because he's irish they keep using him because i do not think its for his searing insight.

Plus his bit about Xhaka on Trent not firing the anfield crowd up and shifting of momentum was complete bollox. It was the turning point in the game IMO.

Post edited by jones on

My biggest gripe with Mangan is his Conor McNamara-like fake voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I strongly get the vibe that himself and Ken are drinking buddies. Ken has appeared on his show a good few times. Could have been one of those situations where he was one of the few available on an Easter Sunday/Monday.

I don't mind him too much, but his voice seems to be getting even more OTT as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I don't think it's a fake voice. Listened to arsecast for almost a decade before I knew what he looked like and I didn't expect him to look like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LostWeekend

Personally prefer AM on his own Arsenal podcast when moderating and less so on second captains when hes being brought in to bat for the Arsenal side.

Ken does the start of season general premier league preview pod with him on the Arsecast which is usually a good listen and bit more free flowing, think he also produces the Stand for Eamon Dunphy

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

The handwringing around Vera Pauw's role in the NWSL abuse scandal is a bit disappointing.

Ken missed the "League of their own" pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I really enjoyed the Brolly and Dion episode. Will give their pod a listen.

Also, just a quick shout out to Gavin Cooney's mic setup. Crystal clear. It was like he was in bed beside me, the audio quality was that good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement