Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

Arghus wrote: »
    When I read this post first I thought it was gas that they just happened to be talking to some lad who happened to be called Tim Robbins.

I didn't realise they were talking to Tim Robbins.

Same here! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Beersmith wrote: »
    Yes he is a Liverpool fan! It's been common knowledge for years

First time I twigged it... He's hidden it well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I saw him at an Anfield Wrap event in 2013 so presumed he was a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

lawred2 wrote: »
    First time I twigged it... He's hidden it well enough

Not really, his obsession/hatred for Jose Muriniho is a big giveaway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's specifically a Liverpool thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Nobody likes Jose.

elefant wrote: »
    Nobody likes Jose.

Andros Herrera ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Still Ill wrote: »
    Might be for the best if TRANQUILLO avoids today's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think he just hates Jose because he's such an obvious troll.

Has it ever actually been stated anywhere even obliquely that he's a Liverpool fan? Is it one of those rumours that just gained credence because some randomer said it once and everyone has repeated it since? He could easily be one of course, but he's never said it himself once AFAIK or has anyone else, so it could all be nonsense. Like the Richard Gere gerbil story.

I get the feeling that he's not much of a diehard fan of any team to be honest, it's hard not be cynical of all of it as time goes by. I support Arsenal and I don't detect any noticeable bias in his reporting. He seems to pour scorn equally on any ejitry. It's been a lot harder to single out Liverpool for criticism in recent times, so his perceived bias could just be a reflection of the reality that they've had some pretty good recent years compared to their rivals. I can remember him taking the piss out of plenty of Liverpool fck ups in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

no way ken is a liverpool fan where has this been confirmed. i would be shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

His LFC bias is much more apparent in his Irish Times articles, oddly enough. e.g. writes an entire article about how the sky is falling in because United conceded 6, club is doomed etc etc. Not a peep about Liverpool conceding 7 on the same day. Must have been a deadline issue :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

As an antidote to the blanket coverage of Covid's impact on, well, everything, I started listening to the 2018 World Cup daily shows from the beginning of the tournament and they are absolutely brilliant. A perfect tonic for me anyway. Highly recommend it if you have the time.

Today's couple of episodes included analysis of England v Tunisia and Egypt v Russia (suspiciously running 118km per match), a preview of Iran v Spain and of course the story about Nevsky Prospect and the laughing gas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

His LFC bias is much more apparent in his Irish Times articles, oddly enough. e.g. writes an entire article about how the sky is falling in because United conceded 6, club is doomed etc etc. Not a peep about Liverpool conceding 7 on the same day. Must have been a deadline issue :rolleyes:

It probably was a deadline issue. The Liverpool Villa game was the late game

After Jose dismantled Liverpool’s title bid in 2004, Ken turned sour on him. Check the tapes !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

In order to keep things fair and balanced, I hope/expect that Ken will be interviewing a right wing Hollywood star next week. Maybe a Jon Voight or a James Woods would be a good choice ?

Why? They're not a public broadcaster. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

unplayable wrote: »
    no way ken is a liverpool fan where has this been confirmed. i would be shocked.

His brother told me about 12 years ago so I heard it from his immediate family If that’ll do. Ciaran and Eoin are Man United fans. I don’t think any of them is that rabid though, least of all Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

After Jose dismantled Liverpool’s title bid in 2004, Ken turned sour on him. Check the tapes !!!

Think you have the year wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Bias.

Sigh.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Think you have the year wrong there.

Damm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Maybe Ken is a Liverpool fan, but it's to his credit that you'd never realise it. He's an equal opportunities kind of guy when it comes to hammering teams and laughing at them I've found down through the years.
    I had a chuckle about the previous poster's view that he showed bias in his coverage of United and Liverpool's hidings the other weekend (and I'm a United fan). I still find it hard to believe he's a Liverpool fan though :D I remember how much he seemed to enjoy the Brendan Rodgers' team's title collapse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

His brother told me about 12 years ago so I heard it from his immediate family If that’ll do. Ciaran and Eoin are Man United fans. I don’t think any of them is that rabid though, least of all Ken.

I thought Murph was a Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

dulpit wrote: »

He's 100% a Man United fan, it's come up on a few pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

dulpit wrote: »

Nah, I thought Murph was outed on the show as a Man U fan a while back, maybe not. He’s one were the veil slips a little occasionally. Ken you’d never know where his loyalties lie by listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bren2001

At the last live show I asked (accused) Ken was he a Liverpool fan. With the wry smile that creeped across his face and his response (I can't remember exactly what he said) but he pretty much confirmed he was a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Ken was at Anfield when Blackburn won the league in 1995. He’s Liverpool.

I enjoyed the Tim Robbins interview, especially when Tim rather adeptly turned the tables on Ken by asking him how much of the podcast he had actually listened too. Squeaky bum time for Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Todays report on sport involved Nigel Farage, government meal vouchers for kids in England,Brexit minister Steve Baker, politics in Nigeria. Uighur oppression in China.

I thought yesterday was the politics podcast with Tim Robbins? Did they tell us how the 49ers got on at the weekend during it?

I don't even know who scored the goals in the matches last night after listening to todays episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Ken was seriously bad for not listening to tims pods! He said he listened to two out of five! They are only 30min long and you are interviewing the guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cmac2009

deisedude wrote: »
    It probably was a deadline issue. The Liverpool Villa game was the late game

Correct. I'm quite certain he mentioned this on the pod, he was trying to get his article in on time but was distracted by the Liverpool Villa game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Correct. I'm quite certain he mentioned this on the pod, he was trying to get his article in on time but was distracted by the Liverpool Villa game.

Yeah and he mentioned he had to tone it down on the criticism at MU then.

Again loads of people on here seem to not pay attention to what is actually covered/said on the pods. Must just be background noise for some!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Enjoyed the politics pod, was interesting if a bit depressing, Ken talking about how it's hard to take the piss out of Trump because he's so outlandish, is a bit like watching Apres Match over the old RTE panel, who were far more entertaining than any spoof of them, Might actually give his podcast a listen.

Advertisement