Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

dulux99 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe how annoying I found Rob Kearney on Friday. He is, what non rugby fans, view as rugby personified. I found it hilarious that Joe Schmidt said "were expecting a big game from you today" and Rob took it as "all of your friends and family will be murdered if you don't play well". Jesus what a dose of a man.

I couldn't listen beyond his early days at Leinster. It's like he's concentrating so hard to maintain the D4 accent that he can't actually put any intonation into his conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I thought the Rob Kearney interview was hilarious. I fully laughed out loud when he said 'regardless of what he thinks of me, he shouldn't be told to get out of a boozer'. The accent just added to the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Thought that the interview was alright. Not too long.

He has an accent...so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jonathan Wilson is brilliant, would listen to him all day alongside Tim Vickery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jim Root wrote: »
    As a running bore myself, Richie and Ciaran’s gentle needling of Eoin’s marathon efforts was pretty funny yesterday

Richie said it in a way that was a lot more subtle than Ciaran, Eoin did well to take it on the chin, not sure I would have reacted as calmly as Eoin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know it was tounge and cheek and all, but there really is nothing more boring than listening to someone talk about their run; except maybe hearing Graham Hunter talk about anything. He kept it in, but you could tell that Eoghan would have talked all day about it if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

siblers wrote: »
    Jonathan Wilson is brilliant, would listen to him all day alongside Tim Vickery.

Yes they lift the show to even new heights and then the guys undo all that as soon as they have Delaney on #ditchdelaney

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If Miguel was coming out with boring edgelord crap like Ewan McKenna, then I could understand the 'Delaney alert' nonsense that gets posted here.

Honestly I have a hard time telling him apart from most of the soccer writers they have on.

Yeah, I also completely fail to get it. He's basically the same as the vast majority of the football contributors they have on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The Kearney interview was decent I thought. Not a huge fan of Kearney and his insights into why he played the way he did over the last 10 years is probably the same reasons he wont be considered an all time great despite having the potential. He was Irelands best full back in that time without a shadow of a doubt but he could have been one of the best. He seems very easily influenced, his persona was so he would fit in to Leinster apparently and he played totally safe at 15 to make sure he was continiously picked at 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw the headline and laughed. AOC ripping off Murph

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/522899-ocasio-cortez-republicans-dont-believe-democrats-have-the-stones-to-play

Ocasio-Cortez: Republicans don't believe Democrats 'have the stones to play hardball'

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

waiting all day for the pod. trimby and shaggy fml fast forward the full ep. the guys are insufferable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yep.. Two skips in a row for me. At least we'll have football tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

unplayable wrote: »
    waiting all day for the pod. trimby and shaggy fml fast forward the full ep. the guys are insufferable

I was worried that that may be the case. I wish they would put out a poll on the patreon as to who do the listeners actually want to listen to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

God I wish someone on this thread would complain about the saturation the Premier League gets, it seems never ending.

God I wish someone on this thread would complain about the saturation the Premier League gets, it seems never ending.

If they only ever talked football I'd be totally fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Arghus wrote: »
    If they only ever talked football I'd be totally fine with it.

The lads are sick to their back teeth talking about 'football'.
    I don't mind any of the content tbh, football rugby etc once it's relatively entertaining.

kippy wrote: »
    The lads are sick to their back teeth talking about 'football'.
    I don't mind any of the content tbh, football rugby etc once it's relatively entertaining.

I find the rugby and GAA stuff to be incredibly, incredibly boring, but the items they do about other sports can be quite good.

But, yeah, a football show all the time would raise zero complaints from me and a fair whack of other people too I suspect. But, having said that, I still don't feel short changed by the sub in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ken could just talk us through a daily trip to the shops to buy bread and milk and I'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I find the rugby and GAA stuff to be incredibly, incredibly boring, but the items they do about other sports can be quite good.

But, yeah, a football show all the time would raise zero complaints from me and a fair whack of other people too I suspect. But, having said that, I still don't feel short changed by the sub in any way.
    The GAA can be a bit humdrum, am hoping Andy Moran can add a bit to it!
    Same feeling on the sub for me. Enjoy the product and don't feel like am getting short changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Absolutely this. I'm mainly there for the football, but enjoy the other 'non-regular' items they cover too. It's only GAA and rugby I skip. No complaints on them covering them though. Would be strange if they didn't considering they're our other two main sports. More than happy to play my fiver a month regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

My interest in the rugby & GAA stuff has lessened as I gradually lost interest in these sports over the years. If I was to listen to any coverage of either, it'd be theirs.

I skip all English premier league talk and I still find the podcast value for all the cost is, so nobody can really have any complaints if they have to skip the small few rugby or GAA ones a month.

Generally I don't mind the soccer chat, but a fair amount of it is the same sh1te over and over again, spending half an hour disecting an uninteresting quote from Lampard/Mourinho, VAR, Ken being cynical about some impending transfer, while they are worth listening to because the chance of some gold from Ken, the last while they've been dull and I'm zoning out more and more, but Richie was interesting talking about working as an analyst Monday.

To be honest I find it a bit galling that people here complain about a general sport podcast with an audience of 12,000 covering sports that are popular here, and what makes it worse is GAA/Rugby get feck all coverage compared to soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm very happy with the podcast. It has become very football-heavy over the last while, but I won't complain about it as Ken is undoubtedly the star of the show.

The Rugby talk is boring. I don't even mind Shane Horgan, as he comes across as a nice enough fella, but the coverage of rugby and the way in which it is analysed is just so boring. I will skip Horgan and Trimble (yawn) pod from today. I enjoy listening to Matt Williams as he's willing to actually be critical of the Irish team in a way most other contributors are not. I like Simon Hock and he clearly has a real love and knowledge of rugby, but he is basically a cheerleader for the Irish team these days (maybe it's a deliberate act to provoke the guests?).

The GAA coverage is also quite boring a lot of the time, and they are the pods I'm most likely to skip. I actually prefer listening to them discuss what's going on within GAA circles rather than matches. I enjoy McConville's contributions when I do listen - I think he's straight to the point and is happy to throw out criticism when needed. I thought he was completely wrong on the recent discussion about the championship going ahead, where he was defending the GAA, but at least he's willing to give an opinion rather than sitting on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,718 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm very happy with the podcast. It has become very football-heavy over the last while, but I won't complain about it as Ken is undoubtedly the star of the show.

The Rugby talk is boring. I don't even mind Shane Horgan, as he comes across as a nice enough fella, but the coverage of rugby and the way in which it is analysed is just so boring. I will skip Horgan and Trimble (yawn) pod from today. I enjoy listening to Matt Williams as he's willing to actually be critical of the Irish team in a way most other contributors are not. I like Simon Hock and he clearly has a real love and knowledge of rugby, but he is basically a cheerleader for the Irish team these days (maybe it's a deliberate act to provoke the guests?).

The GAA coverage is also quite boring a lot of the time, and they are the pods I'm most likely to skip. I actually prefer listening to them discuss what's going on within GAA circles rather than matches. I enjoy McConville's contributions when I do listen - I think he's straight to the point and is happy to throw out criticism when needed. I thought he was completely wrong on the recent discussion about the championship going ahead, where he was defending the GAA, but at least he's willing to give an opinion rather than sitting on the fence.

Same here... same goes for the Rugby too. I quite enjoy listening to both when the subject matter is a little broader, but totally zone out when they get into the specifics of games. Love everything else though, from US Murph, to the random segments on sports lesser lights, to the players chair, and Ken's political podcasts - you really do get so so much content, it's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Thought they'd go back to two Monday podcasts now that sport is pretty much back up and running, maybe they think they don't need to put out that much content anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

RedRochey wrote: »
    Thought they'd go back to two Monday podcasts now that sport is pretty much back up and running, maybe they think they don't need to put out that much content anymore

There should be 4 football shows on a Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

unplayable wrote: »

As soon as I heard they were on I just skipped today, can’t take anymore rugby for a while after the audio torture with Rob Kearney last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RedRochey wrote: »

Yeah they seem to have quietly dumped the two shows on a Monday. Seems to be a football show on Monday. GAA on Tuesday and maybe rugby on Wednesday.

Advertisement