Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Delighted to hear the return of Administrator of the Week today.

That's what I'm paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I think not being with guests in the studio has a negative effect for them sometimes where the conversations dont flow as well as they used to. Works fine for the 3 lads on their own though

Anyone else think Ken’s comment about Frank Lampards hair was a cheap shot !!! ???

yeah and i loved it

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ken could just talk us through a daily trip to the shops to buy bread and milk and I'd be happy

as long as he didnt keep going on about the crowd noise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

I don't mind that they cover rugby, it's just the coverage is boring.

I'm not a big GAA fan but I do find that Oisín McConville is decent enough and there is a bit of life in him. Whereas it is difficult to listen to the typical corporate speak rugby bores.

As we are complaining, I don't know if it annoys anyone else and I am probably being totally unfair, but it grates on me when Murphy calls Oisín "Ois". :D Maybe that is what people call him though. I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If they just covered soccer they would have a bigger international audience and make a lot more money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If they just covered soccer they would have a bigger international audience and make a lot more money

How many podcasts and coverage does soccer have? Talking about generally the same stuff over and over again.
    The lads are taking in over 700K gross per annum on Patreon alone. That's not a bad return for them doing content that they generally like.
    I'd assume there's some more income as part of the second captains umbrella as well as the work they all seem to have and are getting individually now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

kippy wrote: »
    How many podcasts and coverage does soccer have? Talking about generally the same stuff over and over again.
    The lads are taking in over 700K gross per annum on Patreon alone. That's not a bad return for them doing content that they generally like.
    I'd assume there's some more income as part of the second captains umbrella as well as the work they all seem to have and are getting individually now as well.

People in Asia have no interest in Gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

People in Asia have no interest in Gaa

They don't have any interest in the Second Captains either.
    The lads have built up their following over almost 15 years (maybe more not sure) through a lot of very good work with large Irish media outlets and decent content.
    It takes an awful lot to get exposure elsewhere but I'd expect the BBC tieup might help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Raoul wrote: »

I'm not a big GAA fan but I do find that Oisín McConville is decent enough and there is a bit of life in him. Whereas it is difficult to listen to the typical corporate speak rugby bores.

As we are complaining, I don't know if it annoys anyone else and I am probably being totally unfair, but it grates on me when Murphy calls Oisín "Ois". :D Maybe that is what people call him though. I don't know.

Next rugby section includes a PowerPoint presentation, with pie charts of projected figures for our next game.

Shane Horgan sounds like he's give a HR presentation. I like rugby, but skip it. Unless it's Matt Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I wouldn't like them to go football only. There are a gazillion football only podcasts out there already. One of the things I most enjoy about SC is they cover a variety of sports. Obviously football, rugby and GAA are the big three but I enjoy when they dip into other sports like golf, tennis, boxing, cycling, etc, a few times a year even though I don't follow those sports all that closely. I like the US sports stuff as well even though I wish they would use other commentators apart from US Murph sometimes. So many interesting reporters on US sports out there to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The biggest issue I find at the moment is that I end up listening to reports on sports I'm not that interested in (soccerball) because it's entertaining, but their segments on sports I do like (rugby) are woefully boring. I get that having a former rugby international and current pundit as a brother of a producer means you're likely to use him from time to time, but still and all...

I think I mentioned this before, they also tend to cover the sports differently. A lot of their soccer coverage is about the sports or the wider stories. Rugby in particular is about the tactics of why player X is good at position Y and they should use scheme Z when defending against him or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

dulpit wrote: »
    The biggest issue I find at the moment is that I end up listening to reports on sports I'm not that interested in (soccerball) because it's entertaining, but their segments on sports I do like (rugby) are woefully boring. I get that having a former rugby international and current pundit as a brother of a producer means you're likely to use him from time to time, but still and all...

I think I mentioned this before, they also tend to cover the sports differently. A lot of their soccer coverage is about the sports or the wider stories. Rugby in particular is about the tactics of why player X is good at position Y and they should use scheme Z when defending against him or something like that.

I feel the same. They'd have Andy Lee on waxing lyrical about Katie Taylor knocking over a tomato can but had no reportage of Lomachenko vs Lopez last week or Zepeda vs Baranchyk which was one of the best fights of the last 20 years. Rugby is my favourite sport but I don't even bother with it on SC anymore.

Their soccer coverage (kens surrealism) is what I like the most. In fact id listen to Ken on his own every day if that's all the podcast was. He's the brightest star in their sky.

The rugby coverage is myopic and as I alluded to in previous posts laced with South County Dublin corporate jargon and lacks rigorous critique .Everyone is a great lad.

Green and Gold Rugby or the Rugbyruckus (both of which are Aussie based pods) both cover rugby particularly north of the equator more dispassionately and honestly. They are not too close to the players like Gerry Thornley et al are. Morgan Tuirinui's analysis is streets ahead of what we get served up here.

Even Rob kearney mentioned texting a journalist in Japan to say sorry to him . Its all a bit cosy.

I wouldn't like them to go football only. There are a gazillion football only podcasts out there already. One of the things I most enjoy about SC is they cover a variety of sports. Obviously football, rugby and GAA are the big three but I enjoy when they dip into other sports like golf, tennis, boxing, cycling, etc, a few times a year even though I don't follow those sports all that closely. I like the US sports stuff as well even though I wish they would use other commentators apart from US Murph sometimes. So many interesting reporters on US sports out there to use.

Ive actually been really impressed by the Tennis coverage and its a sport that passes me by these days. Caitlin Thompson is a great speaker and really hold the attention of the listener. She's not a afraid to go against the consensus too as evidenced by her stance on Sharapova and PEDS much to Eoin's astonishment.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Next rugby section includes a PowerPoint presentation, with pie charts of projected figures for our next game.

Shane Horgan sounds like he's give a HR presentation. I like rugby, but skip it. Unless it's Matt Williams

To be fair its not just SC .

Ive seen Ireland teams announced with the players twitter accounts instead of their names. The horse long since bolted. ABC'1s etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Raoul wrote: »

Andy Dunne is still pretty much the only rugby pundit I enjoy listening to. Isn't just in it to be one of the goys

lawred2 wrote: »
    Andy Dunne is still pretty much the only rugby pundit I enjoy listening to. Isn't just in it to be one of the goys

He is good to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Skipped the football show as no Ken or even Richie plus Murph was banging on about gah for first 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

lawred2 wrote: »

I agree with. I like listening to him too and think he's excellent.

Dunne's career was the type you see excel as pundits in other sports too.

He was the next big thing as an underage player, and had a lot of hype behind him when he started out in Leinster. It never really worked out for him but he went on to have a good journeyman type career. He played for a few different clubs and played in England so he's been exposed to a lot as a pro player.

One of the big problems for players when they turn pundit is that they personally know the players and coaches they're covering. Dunne doesn't so he can be much more open with his thoughts as he's rarely going to be critising a friend of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    To be fair its not just SC .

Ive seen Ireland teams announced with the players twitter accounts instead of their names. The horse long since bolted. ABC'1s etc

Something about rugby that brings out the middle manager in people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like the isolating podcast is making a very welcome comeback.
    More jigsaw & SuperValu action..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

YOU'RE GOING IN THE JIGTIONARY!! :D

Amzing news. Delighted with this.

I realised earlier that when i see the word Google, in my head immediately another voice goes Gooooooogle

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Now if they revive Dog Chat, 2020 will be one of the best years ever.

Something wrong with me, I'm a cuckoo...

He does nothing for me at all I have to admit. Wackiness for wackiness sake.

An instant skip.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    He does nothing for me at all I have to admit. Wackiness for wackiness sake.

An instant skip.

I'm tempted to ask why you listen to any element of second captains? You seem against all of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Great chat with Michael Foley yesterday, I thought.
    Downloaded his podcast series as well, be interesting to hear about the events of 100 years ago in podcast form. Find it easier than reading articles or information online

• Advertisement

I'm tempted to ask why you listen to any element of second captains? You seem against all of it...

Not at all. Day 1 subscriber and long time listener from news talk days.
    Been to a few liberty hall shows and bought all the annuals and a mug.

Its much better than what OTB serve up.

Advertisement