Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

I thought it was a great show yesterday. I can't remember what points they were making but it was all good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

A bit too US election heavy the last few days. They didnt give the champions league a proper go with Ken deviating from Chelsea V Rennes to talk about Biden and Trump. They have the usually brilliant Caitlin Thomson on again today to talk more politics . A shame . I'll give it a miss and hopefully they are back to sports on Monday. I was really hoping the podcast would provide a nice distraction to all that other nonsense going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't get enough of Ken talking about the US election to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,811 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    A bit too US election heavy the last few days. They didnt give the champions league a proper go with Ken deviating from Chelsea V Rennes to talk about Biden and Trump. They have the usually brilliant Caitlin Thomson on again today to talk more politics . A shame . I'll give it a miss and hopefully they are back to sports on Monday. I was really hoping the podcast would provide a nice distraction to all that other nonsense going on.

You do know that one of the main reasons they left newstalk was because they wanted to move into covering more current affairs stuff and not just sport?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The more time they dedicate to laughing at Trump the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    They have the usually brilliant Caitlin Thomson on again today to talk more politics . A shame . I'll give it a miss and hopefully they are back to sports on Monday. I was really hoping the podcast would provide a nice distraction to all that other nonsense going on.

This was an excellent pod, the best commentary of the election I’ve heard so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"This is an incitement to civil war if you read it, sounds like a cry for help if you're listening"

Was a great pod, very nuanced and informative from Caitlin, didn't know Fox calling Arizona early had an effect on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Didn't find anything new or nuanced about it. She glaringly missed the fact that the main cause of much of the division is poverty and the governments (either democrat or republican) complete lack of interest in alleviating it, or its causes. Obama wasn't arsed, Trump clearly wasn't and either will Biden.

Yer ones analysis that it's the fault of people without passports or who don't read the New Yorker or whatever isn't new and or helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Failed to hear any nuance in it myself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yer ones analysis that it's the fault of people without passports or who don't read the New Yorker or whatever isn't new and or helpful.

There was a good bit more to her argument than that - amongst other things she touched upon the problems of news as entertainment, politics being perceived as too corporatist, that the way the narrative about the election is overlooking the massive civic engagement it showed.

I think she over-egged some points and was occasionally a little clumsy, but, overall she was perceptive, passionate and knowlegable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Noticed this post on twitter, it's from a Paul Kimmage article on rugby players. Think it sums up the sentiment here.

https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/status/1325355734582824961?s=19

Would say the same applies to most sport autobiographies, at least Gordon Darcy took a different approach with his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

Cienciano wrote: »
    Noticed this post on twitter, it's from a Paul Kimmage article on rugby players. Think it sums up the sentiment here.

https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/status/1325355734582824961?s=19

Is it just me or does Paul Kimmage seem to have a vendetta against Rugby? Like he's not wrong about the dull sports books etc but why single out rugby? Seems to have a real chip on his shoulder and this comes from someone who loves the 6 nations but couldn't give a fiddlers about rugby any other time so i'm no fan boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

jones wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Paul Kimmage seem to have a vendetta against Rugby? Like he's not wrong about the dull sports books etc but why single out rugby? Seems to have a real chip on his shoulder and this comes from someone who loves the 6 nations but couldn't give a fiddlers about rugby any other time so i'm no fan boy.

Has very little time for GAA either. He can write on cycling and golf. If you hear him speak on the radio you soon realize the knowledge isn’t there when it comes to other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I know it may not be a hugely mainstream sport, but he was on The Stand specifically to talk about Conor McGregor and he didn't know how many minutes were in a round of an MMA fight. Absolute spoofer.

Has very little time for GAA either. He can write on cycling and golf. If you hear him speak on the radio you soon realize the knowledge isn’t there when it comes to other sports.

THB, pro golfers are the dullest people in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭bren2001

Cienciano wrote: »
    THB, pro golfers are the dullest people in sport.

Personally, I would say the exact opposite. They are some of the most interesting sportspeople I listen too. I find people in individual sports far more engaging then people in team sports. I could listen to Harrington or Rory all day talk about golf and their processess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,811 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

bren2001 wrote: »
    Personally, I would say the exact opposite. They are some of the most interesting sportspeople I listen too. I find people in individual sports far more engaging then people in team sports. I could listen to Harrington or Rory all day talk about golf and their processess.

Harrington - yes.
    Rory - no.

Shane Lowry is a great interviewee...

healy1835 wrote: »
    Ken's naked contempt for Jason McAteer was pretty funny. And justified.

I really like McAteer. Seems like really funny guy - and he scored the goal against Holland in 2001 - one of my all-time favourite wins / days as an Ireland fan.

I really like McAteer. Seems like really funny guy - and he scored the goal against Holland in 2001 - one of my all-time favourite wins / days as an Ireland fan.

I think he’s a layabout. Pissed his career away at Liverpool and now portrays himself as Mr. Liverpool on LFCTV. Got the most disgraceful sending off I’ve ever seen in Macedonia. Chancer.

• Advertisement

I think he’s a layabout. Pissed his career away at Liverpool and now portrays himself as Mr. Liverpool on LFCTV. Got the most disgraceful sending off I’ve ever seen in Macedonia. Chancer.

Yeah I don't think he was the best player and he was certainly not the only one who embarrassed himself in the Spice Boys-era of Liverpool. But he has always been a Liverpool fan (he stood on the Kop on the last day in 1994) and played for the club so why not appear on LFCTV?

But personality-wise he seems like a witty and personable lad.

Yeah I don't think he was the best player and he was certainly not the only one who embarrassed himself in the Spice Boys-era of Liverpool. But he has always been a Liverpool fan (he stood on the Kop on the last day in 1994) and played for the club so why not appear on LFCTV?

But personality-wise he seems like a witty and personable lad.

He was quite a talented player just hadn’t a professional mentality and preferred drinking to training. So that’s why I think he’s a layabout and a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He was quite a talented player just hadn’t a professional mentality and preferred drinking to training. So that’s why I think he’s a layabout and a chancer.

More power to him. To make it to the top level of the game ahead of hundreds of thousands of others and remain there becomie one of the highest paid sportspeople in the world at the time.
    Hardly the behaviour of a layabout or indeed a chance.

He fooled a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Jesus Ken was hard to listen to today. Just whined and moaned. Especially about Keane and also the 5 subs issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

Apart from actually enjoying the John Delaney doc tonight, I’m also being entertained by the audio bed bingo. Never realised before who said ‘John Delaney could run anything’

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Apart from actually enjoying the John Delaney doc tonight, I’m also being entertained by the audio bed bingo. Never realised before who said ‘John Delaney could run anything’

Ja, they asked for that. Really!

Think that makes it extra funny for the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Was thinking the same! It was basically a giant Second Captains audio bed compilation!

Haven't seen the doc. Can you give us a clue who said that quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Haven't seen the doc. Can you give us a clue who said that quote?

Think it was Denis O Brien maybe ?

Advertisement