Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

Totally agree, the whole piece came from a certain angle. The guest admitted he didn't even talk to the "far right" as to summarise his reasoning - what's the point. Now I can sympathise with not giving certain factions air time but I think dismissing everyone who had an issue with immigration as far right is very reductive and in my opinion only drives loons from far right and feeds into their retoric.

Even his comment about Sweden will have no nurses/doctors with their negative immigration policy seemed just a tad extremist in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

They said it on the podcast he’d be extradited. They discussed it. His asylum was gone.

I don’t give a toss what the law says, common sense says he abused nothing. He was going to be shipped back to where he came.

It was discussed.

At 11:17 you had not listened to it and at 11:37 you have an opinion. You don’t actually know what was said in the podcast. Good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There is no suggestion in that article that Sweden will be extraditing Kurds back to Turkey. The documentary maker said, to my ears on one listen, matter of factly that this was going to happen. So the original point stands.

there is also no background in the story of the delay in residency permits being felt by all applicants or just Kurds. Given the crisis in ukraine, there are huge delays in the granting of residency permits in Poland anyway.

• Advertisement

Hence the “you can form your own opinion”.

The interviewee was very clear that this person (along with other Kurds) would be deported. I am just going off what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Tbh, the abuse of the process wasn't abig issue for me. If someone's life is so terrible that they make the trip here, get government payments for a while then fair play to them.

My issue is that we obviously have no room. Buying old office blocks of a ridiculous solution. We simply are at full capacity. And a "housing for all" chant/banner has to be the dumbest thing the left have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If someone on a podcast says it it must be true. Gotcha 🙄

I didn't state an opinion, I stated a fact.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You don’t even know what was said on the podcast. You’ve no idea if your opinion is relevant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Scotland are a disgrace to world sport (Maybe a bit unfortunate in this case)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I listened to the politics pod earlier today. Your man was a bore. And when he was asked about the far right he said he didn't think about them, but he came across as obsessed with them too.

My biggest issue was the way he implied that if you disagree with the beliefs of the far right (which obviously the vast vast majority of people will) then that means you must agree with the strong left. No in between for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Given that he’s a self-confessed ideologue, perhaps an opportunity was missed to pose more searching questions than those that were asked in the interview.

It's entirely relevant to the comment here which was what I was replying to. And again I stated a fact not an opinion.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Again, you had not listened to the podcast. You’ve no idea if it was relevant when posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Go to bed lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Very little GAA in the past week despite a full round of football fixtures and the hurling league about to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Ngl I’m rooting for the Chiefs entirely because I want them to win to shut up US Murph

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Advertisement

**** yeah KC

He'll be as bad as that Kilmarnock fan when they get him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 StuttgartKY

Don‘t think the split season helps the lads on that front. League and early Championship now clash much more with Six Nations, Premier League, Masters and even LOI season starting. So if they miss a week in the GAA it now feels like they haven‘t covered it in ages.

The lads are going soft on Scotland. No sympathy for the fancy dans. Ever. Unacceptable weakness being shown.

The rules need to be changed but when the on-field was held up there wasn’t enough to overturn it even if Simon seemed convinced there was.

Whoever the lad they got in with Thornley who seems like he rolled into the segment straight from his thoroughbred stud farm in the Curragh would want to calm down with the Crowley defensiveness. He’s being asked to do play a slimmed down version of 10 with Lowe basically babysitting him doing almost all cover kicking. Crowley twice in a week now has been blocked down for near intercept tries and he’s made a lot of poorly executed kicks from hand, too. His kicking for goal yesterday was brutal if we’re being honest.

Which isn’t to discount the good work he’s done and the promise he’s showing but if the last two weeks were close games he would be getting roasted by supporters and media for his wastefulness. I hope the fact he’s coming into a team that’s ticking over allows him the time to grow because the reality is a performance like Crowley’s on Sunday in a one score game would probably be the difference between losing and winning and Matt Williams is right in his comments in that sense.

Post edited by Tucker.Tim on

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭halfpastneverr

The politics pod was fairly weak. The guest (& Branno, who I find increasingly irritating in general lately) weren't even mildly challenged by Ken, despite the main lad the guest was on about clearly being an economic migrant here. I'm no far-right supporter, but these types of interviews do the pro-migrant POV no favors. He was granted asylum in Sweden, fears he might be deported to Turkey, but somehow ends up in Ireland which isn't exactly the closest 'safe country' to Sweden.

Same for criticizing the guards, who are caught in the middle of a mess not of their own making & can't win with either side. Either branded as thugs by one side or as traitors by the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm surprised they haven't had any football chat alright.

However there is no point whatsoever dedicating a daily pod to discussing the hurling league (even though hurling is my favourite sport). The league has become pretty irrelevant. Even Jamie Wall said it last year on the pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

They had Michael Murphy on after the first round of league games

I’m perfectly fine with players not celebrating against their old clubs and it’s usually one of the few displays of proper sportsmanship you see in soccer.

That said, it’s incredible listening to the lads be wound up by something so benign so regularly. Even Eoin loses his marbles over it.

Also, Marcelo Bielsa is the coolest MFer in soccer. And Kalvin Phillips has always came across as a decent lad, I hope he finds his feet again at West Ham.

The non-celebration celebration is a a scourge on the sport that needs to be eradicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bike2wkr

I subscribed recently to second captains. Have to say Ken is great on the football. Very insightful and good craic. Football coverage in general is good

Advertisement