Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken talking about the “blue Jewell” = he is back on the smokes

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Ken talking about the “blue Jewell” = he is back on the smokes

He is the star of the pod by a country mile. So dead pan funny at times. Once he keeps the personal politics out of it he's brilliant.

I think he could blossom in broadcasting roles beyond the podcast. Hes worth the fiver alone.

Have to disagree with Ken today laughing at Luis Enrique's attire though.

After what that mans been through in the last year im surprised he can get out of bed in the morning. For him to turn up after his number 2 tried to essentially usurp him under incredibly callous and insensitive circumstances is remarkable.

Not only that... he launched a load of big names such as De Gea Pique and Busquets and ushered in a load of young talent.

I tip my hat to Enrique and he can wear what he wants. He looked cool anyway.

Id say he just has a new perspective on life and **** anyone who sneers from the cheap seats. More power to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    He is the star of the pod by a country mile. So dead pan funny at times. Once he keeps the personal politics out of it he's brilliant.

I think he could blossom in broadcasting roles beyond the podcast. Hes worth the fiver alone.

I get the feeling he has done some theatre before. So theatrical at times it's brilliant. He'd excel in improv I'd imagine!

Also, I've noticed Ken using a few computer terms in the past, like schemes, databases, etc. Has he worked in IT before I wonder? Maybe it's just his extensive vocabulary....or that he's a bit of a geek!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I get the feeling he has done some theatre before. So theatrical at times it's brilliant. He'd excel in improv I'd imagine!

Also, I've noticed Ken using a few computer terms in the past, like schemes, databases, etc. Has he worked in IT before I wonder? Maybe it's just his extensive vocabulary....or that he's a bit of a geek!

Considering he couldn't figure out how to change his Zoom background wallpaper I don't think he's all the much of a geek.

I don't know what Ken studied in Trinity but he worked on the Misc when there in the late 90's and I reckon he'd been knocking around Newstalk since '05? So journalist most of his working life I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it takes more than using the word database in a sentence to be considered an IT boffin.

Ken was working as a journo for the 02 world Cup. I vaguely remember him talking about how he got his break with Newstalk in some other pod. He was drinking with Ger Gilroy in the Trinity Bar and Gilroy said did he want a job, that was basically it, as far as I remember.

Arghus wrote: »
    I think it takes more than using the word database in a sentence to be considered an IT boffin.

Ken was working as a journo for the 02 world Cup. I vaguely remember him talking about how he got his break with Newstalk in some other pod. He was drinking with Ger Gilroy in the Trinity Bar and Gilroy said did he want a job, that was basically it, as far as I remember.

I vaguely recall him saying on the Jarlath Regan pod that he worked in an online bookie or something back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

The excuses Richie was giving to Kenny compared to the abuse he gave to previous managers was ridiculous today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Murph at his most annoying interrupting best today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The excuses Richie was giving to Kenny compared to the abuse he gave to previous managers was ridiculous today

It is, but Kenny has been in the job a wet week, in the middle of a global pandemic, on the back of some not so glamourus results performances in the previous year with a rebuilding job required.

The issues Kenny has had in his first few games with Covd alone have literlly never been had by any other Irish manager prior to him. One of this first matches was a make or break qualifying match.

I don't think people appreciate the difficulty working with a squad like this in the middle of all the covid restrictions, never mind all of the covid related losses the squad have had, particularily for a new manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It’s a nice change if they are being understanding and patient with a manager. I support it. It hasn’t being their approach up to now where they were snide and fickle about O’Neill and just snide about McCarthy.

It’s a nice change if they’ve decided to turn a blind eye to 2 elephants in the room with Kenny

1- the possibility that Kenny may be out of his depth, outside of the results there is ample evidence from Kenny’s press conferences that he is a poor communicator who struggles to articulate himself in a quick and efficient manner. As we should all know Ken is fond of analyzing press conferences in detail so he must have noticed Kenny’s uncertain, hard to listen to style of speaking in pressers.
    2- the possibility the tactics previous managers used (deep block, central midfielders as central defenders and attacking through crossing) actually suited the standard of player we have in the squad.

We need patience and the realization barring something close to a miracle we won’t be going to the world cup so it’s good if second captains are on board with this.

It’s a nice change if they are being understanding and patient with a manager. I support it. It hasn’t being their approach up to now where they were snide and fickle about O’Neill and just snide about McCarthy.

It’s a nice change if they’ve decided to turn a blind eye to 2 elephants in the room with Kenny

1- the possibility that Kenny may be out of his depth, outside of the results there is ample evidence from Kenny’s press conferences that he is a poor communicator who struggles to articulate himself in a quick and efficient manner. As we should all know Ken is fond of analyzing press conferences in detail so he must have noticed Kenny’s uncertain, hard to listen to style of speaking in pressers.
    2- the possibility the tactics previous managers used (deep block, central midfielders as central defenders and attacking through crossing) actually suited the standard of player we have in the squad.

We need patience and the realization barring something close to a miracle we won’t be going to the world cup so it’s good if second captains are on board with this.
    TBF, again, O Neill had a one year(ish) run in of friendlies in to get settled and Mick had been there before.
    There's gonna have to be some patience give with a brand new international manager........

As for 1 - I haven't heard much of Kenny to be honest in conferences but aren't press conferences more of a remote call nowadays rather than an actual "press" conference (pre covid)?

As for 2, maybe the used the player to suit the tactics - either way our goalscoring ability has been woeful for a while now.

It will be interesting to see where it all goes.

kippy wrote: »
    TBF, again, O Neill had a one year(ish) run in of friendlies in to get settled and Mick had been there before.
    There's gonna have to be some patience give with a brand new international manager........

As for 1 - I haven't heard much of Kenny to be honest in conferences but aren't press conferences more of a remote call nowadays rather than an actual "press" conference (pre covid)?

As for 2, maybe the used the player to suit the tactics - either way our goalscoring ability has been woeful for a while now.

It will be interesting to see where it all goes.

Pressers would worry me. No PL manager talks in such a stunted self conscious manner. Even whispering Claude Puel was just boring but at least his answers were short as opposed to Kenny’s manner which is boring and slightly long winded.

We usually scored a goal a game under mick and Martin. And got a lot of one alls, and a few notable 1-0s in Martin O’Neills case. Kenny reign has downgraded us to a team that scores zero per 90 mins.

As for where it all goes, I think likeliest next year is a write off qualification wise so I doubt Kenny will make it to 2022 as the manager.

Pressers would worry me. No PL manager talks in such a stunted self conscious manner. Even whispering Claude Puel was just boring but at least his answers were short as opposed to Kenny’s manner which is boring and slightly long winded.

We usually scored a goal a game under mick and Martin. And got a lot of one alls, and a few notable 1-0s in Martin O’Neills case. Kenny reign has downgraded us to a team that scores zero per 90 mins.

As for where it all goes, I think likeliest next year is a write off qualification wise so I doubt Kenny will make it to 2022 as the manager.

Pressers mean very little when you actually think about it. Not sure why they would worry you.
    Pressers in the Premier League mean nothing - just used to fill media time and provide some sound bites for "analysis".

I wouldn't be too concerned abou the scoring stats right now and will reserve judgement till he has had a decent run at things.

Pressers mean very little when you actually think about it. Not sure why they would worry you.
    Pressers in the Premier League mean nothing - just used to fill media time and provide some sound bites for "analysis".

I wouldn't be too concerned abou the scoring stats right now and will reserve judgement till he has had a decent run at things.

Pressers don’t matter really. A manager’s ability to communicate well matters. If Kenny walks from the press room to the dressing room and has a transformedly improved manner of communication in the latter situation then great but it’s seems unlikely to me.

He doesn’t think fluidly and speak cogently

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

It is, but Kenny has been in the job a wet week, in the middle of a global pandemic, on the back of some not so glamourus results performances in the previous year with a rebuilding job required.

The issues Kenny has had in his first few games with Covd alone have literlly never been had by any other Irish manager prior to him. One of this first matches was a make or break qualifying match.

I don't think people appreciate the difficulty working with a squad like this in the middle of all the covid restrictions, never mind all of the covid related losses the squad have had, particularily for a new manager.

Agree it has been very tough and I'm not asking him to tear him to shreds or anything. However for an example off the top of my head, Eoin put it to him that the subs came too late and that Jack Byrne probably only came on because Brady was injured. Now anybody watching could have seen that we needed the subs earlier and Jack Byrne deserved a chance. Richie instead gave a long winded answer about how we don't know what Jack Byrne is showing in training, etc. There's no way he would have gave that excuse to MON definitely or probably McCarthy

The way Kenny communicates in pressers is something that has bugged me as well to be honest. The stops and pauses and the sort of hesitancy in his voice does make me wonder if he struggles to get his point across to the players. But, I've also heard him speak really well and passionately in the past, so maybe it depends on the setting.

But, I think some people are being madly, madly harsh on Kenny. The amount of players that have been missing is simply insane, he's had very little time to properly train with the squad and he is trying to completely overhaul the teams style of play.

I will probably get some flack for this, but part of me doesn't care about the results. Ireland have been so, so, depressing to watch since late 2016. We might have got the odd result here and there, but we were awful - I used to feel ashamed at times at our utterly barbarian football.

We were a disgracefully ugly football side and it made me genuinely sad to see us stoop to playing such hoofball. So I'm prepared to wait quite a while before we go back to that again. People have short memories - it was awful stuff.

Give Kenny time to see if he can implement a new style. And if we've really gone nowhere in two years then, fair enough, we can go back to passing from the keeper to the centre back to the winger, back to the centre back to launch 100 yards for absolutely no-one until the end of time - because that's what we'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hoping we don't qualify for Qatar anyway, it'll make the whole shítshow much easier to ignore. Their hosting of the WC is the epitome of the amorality and corruption of FIFA.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Arghus wrote: »
    The way Kenny communicates in pressers is something that has bugged me as well to be honest. The stops and pauses and the sort of hesitancy in his voice does make me wonder if he struggles to get his point across to the players. But, I've also heard him speak really well and passionately in the past, so maybe it depends on the setting.

But, I think some people are being madly, madly harsh on Kenny. The amount of players that have been missing is simply insane, he's had very little time to properly train with the squad and he is trying to completely overhaul the teams style of play.

I will probably get some flack for this, but part of me doesn't care about the results. Ireland have been so, so, depressing to watch since late 2016. We might have got the odd result here and there, but we were awful - I used to feel ashamed at times at our utterly barbarian football.

We were a disgracefully ugly football side and it made me genuinely sad to see is stoop to playing such hoofball. So I'm prepared to wait quite a while before we go back to that again. People have short memories - it was awful stuff.

Give Kenny time to see if he can implement a new style. And if we've really gone nowhere in two years then, fair enough, we can go back to passing from the keeper to the centre back to the winger, back to the centre back to launch 100 yards for absolutely no-one until the end of time - because that's what we'll get.

No reply I could type would say anything more than I agree 100% with all of this. Nail on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Only Ken could make discussing last night's match fun..

Today was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Richie and Eoin's "we won't be talking about international football for a while" statements certainly jinxed things. They'll definitely be talking about it tomorrow given that story in the Indo.

With a bit of luck they’ll treat it as the nothing story that it is.

Since Kenny was announced as going to be our manager I can’t decide if he’s thicker or smarter than the average football manager. Stories like this don’t help.

Depends what it was. No matter how much the trend is now for self loathing, being pro Irish certainly shouldn’t be seen as being wrong.

I doubt reminding our players of our historical conflict with England is going to mean a jot to any players. Maybe Duffy and McClean but I doubt the majority of the squad would take anything from it. Sounds cringe. He could do without this story and I wish I didn’t know about it.

I doubt reminding our players of our historical conflict with England is going to mean a jot to any players. Maybe Duffy and McClean but I doubt the majority of the squad would take anything from it. Sounds cringe. He could do without this story and I wish I didn’t know about it.

I have a gut feeling this is a nothing story - I'm sure more will become clear in the next few days.

I usually find Ritchie pretty damn boring, but I thought he was pretty good today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

The thing about Stephen Kenny in the press interview...he does take a lot of time to answer and when he was with Dundalk, you would think he is nearly going to cry sometimes when talking about the team after a good result. But like...so what? He actually takes time to think about the questions put forward to him and give a genuine answer. He doesn't just fly off the handle or give a really bland answer. I think it is good to see someone a bit different. From a lot of accounts, he is a different man in the dressing room when talking and when talking to individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I thought Kenny was a complete tosser anyway but this story confirms it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

They're definitely talking international football again today: https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/1329747031133458433

Advertisement