Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Raoul wrote: »
    The thing about Stephen Kenny in the press interview...he does take a lot of time to answer and when he was with Dundalk, you would think he is nearly going to cry sometimes when talking about the team after a good result. But like...so what? He actually takes time to think about the questions put forward to him and give a genuine answer. He doesn't just fly off the handle or give a really bland answer. I think it is good to see someone a bit different. From a lot of accounts, he is a different man in the dressing room when talking and when talking to individuals.

The old “he talks slowly and methodically because he’s thinking very deep, much deeper than those of us who are able to answer questions normally” argument. I think he may be a bit dim but it’s just a theory.

I haven’t heard accounts that he is a different man in the dressing room or one to one. Do you remember who said this? I’ve heard players say they want to play for him and do well for him but they weren’t able to articulate why. So I don’t know what he’s like in the dressing room or one to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

The old “he talks slowly and methodically because he’s thinking very deep, much deeper than those of us who are able to answer questions normally” argument. I think he may be a bit dim but it’s just a theory.

I haven’t heard accounts that he is a different man in the dressing room or one to one. Do you remember who said this? I’ve heard players say they want to play for him and do well for him but they weren’t able to articulate why. So I don’t know what he’s like in the dressing room or one to one.

I didn't say that at all though did I? I just said he takes his time to answer.

The LOI weekly podcast had lots of ex-players on talking about him. Ciaran Kilduff and Mark Rossiter are the first that come to mind that spoke about how he motivated them and talked to them and how he could lose it if the game wasn't going well.

I think Richie made some good points about the players. Under Mick and MON they were being told they can't pass the ball. Now they have the opportunity to do so and they aren't doing it. So who is to blame essentially? :confused::confused:

Anyway, you can't make any conclusions fairly from these games. They are a joke. If you have a team of 11 random players turn up, some who have never met each other before, how can you expect them to play well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Is this really an old argument? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

It burst out laughing when Ken said Farrell would show the team Mel Gibson in the Patriot, rather than Braveheart as I was anticipating he would say.

The Field audio clip was great too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

ongarite wrote: »
    It burst out laughing when Ken said Farrell would show the team Mel Gibson in the Patriot, rather than Braveheart as I was anticipating he would say.

The Field audio clip was great too...

I enjoyed the ending in the video on Ken's Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Jamie Wall and Derek McGrath were brilliant on Wednesdays Hurling pod and I know little about hurling. Such a contrast to the usual rugby coverage. Both guys were so engaging and well-prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Seamy Fitz wrote: »
    Jamie Wall and Derek McGrath were brilliant on Wednesdays Hurling pod and I know little about hurling. Such a contrast to the usual rugby coverage. Both guys were so engaging and well-prepared.

Jamie wall is a "ja'know" merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Didn't like it at all to be honest, Derek McGraths repetition of "If you like" after every comment was too distracting. Thought he was talking nonsense about John Kielys comments too which I also thought were a load of ****e. Surprised Eoin didn't challenge him on it, particularly since it was journalists he was having a go at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Didn't like it at all to be honest, Derek McGraths repetition of "If you like" after every comment was too distracting. Thought he was talking nonsense about John Kielys comments too which I also thought were a load of ****e. Surprised Eoin didn't challenge him on it, particularly since it was journalists he was having a go at.

I thought Derek McGrath was quite good - thought he was very articulate and perceptive.

I don't usually bother with the GAA stuff, but I kept listening on Wednesday because I thought the two guys were interesting to listen to. I'm not a "hurling man" so maybe they were really talking shyte but I thought they were engaging to listen to and I wouldn't mind hearing from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Arghus wrote: »
    I thought Derek McGrath was quite good - thought he was very articulate and perceptive.

I don't usually bother with the GAA stuff, but I kept listening on Wednesday because I thought the two guys were interesting to listen to. I'm not a "hurling man" so maybe they were really talking shyte but I thought they were engaging to listen to and I wouldn't mind hearing from them again.

I'm the same myself, would be into hurling to watch but don't follow it obsessively or anything and am far from a "hurling man" as well but just thought his comments on Kiely were particularly rubbish. To be fair I didn't mind the rest of it as such but I find a lot of GAA analysis often boils down to talk of "passion" and "wanting" it rather than anything more nuanced. I was only half listening as well so maybe it was better than I'm remembering. McGrath is far from the worst of them in fairness but I generally find GAA punditry all a bit cringe and rarely gain much insight from it. I do like Skys attempt to get Jamesie O' Connor breaking down puck outs/tactics alright but other than that I wouldn't be too interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was funny when they played the clip of Davy Fitz giving out about what Loughnane said to the Clare team, and when they read the full quote it was basically what you'd expect to hear from a manager.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Given the drama in the Gaelic Football today, wouldn't be surprised if we hear Oisin and Andy Moran tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Given the drama in the Gaelic Football today, wouldn't be surprised if we hear Oisin and Andy Moran tomorrow.

As a Meath man, please god can I request no GAA talk until next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Obrieski wrote: »
    As a Meath man, please god can I request no GAA talk until next week!

I agree, especially if it means not hearing Murphs Meath accent. I'd rather listen to an hour or Eoin's Poems

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Was thinking the same. Oisin will be buzzing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

den87 wrote: »

“Owen how’s it Gowen”

Fingers crossed it’s too short notice for Moran, the awe they have is insufferable. Malachy Clerkin offers far more when he's on with McConville anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

unplayable wrote: »
    “Owen how’s it Gowen”

That in Oisin's accent is playing non-stop in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Nokotan wrote: »
    That in Oisin's accent is playing non-stop in my head!

How's de form?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Jaysus !!! It’s more GAA !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

What's the craic with GAA mondays now? NOT A FAN haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

jones wrote:
    What's the craic with GAA mondays now? NOT A FAN haha

I think with the crazy results in the football yesterday that this was always going to happen in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think with the crazy results in the football yesterday that this was always going to happen in fairness.

Yeah, it makes sense. Still annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Sure what does the GAA coverage offer? It’s vanilla as fcuk. Their GAA coverage just isn’t fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, for once I have to grudingly accept GAA talk on this particular Monday. Even I can appreciate it was a mad weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Great weekend. Looking forward to this.

Assuming they don't mention flamin' Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

How's de form?

*How's de faww-rm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

den87 wrote: »

That was comedy gold his reaction that time. Whether he meant it or not, it was hilarious! I think he's self aware enough to know he's drole. He's one of those pundits whose accent puts you off but is actually sound and is a good contributor. See also: Kenny Cunningham and Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

sheroman01 wrote: »
    That was comedy gold his reaction that time. Whether he meant it or not, it was hilarious! I think he's self aware enough to know he's drole. He's one of those pundits whose accent puts you off but is actually sound and is a good contributor. See also: Kenny Cunningham and Brian Kerr.

Ah yeah, he is definetly aware of it alright and has made reference to it a number of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Done away with the football show for bogball? glad I cancelled at this stage between this, the shilling of the overhyped Gibney pod, constant use of clowns like Miguel & Sneyd and the return of O'Doherty in place of something decent either current affairs-ish or sporting wise. Completely lost the run of themselves at this stage unfortunately, as I used to really enjoy the lads.

Advertisement