Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Done away with the football show for bogball? glad I cancelled at this stage between this, the shilling of the overhyped Gibney pod, constant use of clowns like Miguel & Sneyd and the return of O'Doherty in place of something decent either current affairs-ish or sporting wise. Completely lost the run of themselves at this stage unfortunately, as I used to really enjoy the lads.

Good lad, don’t let the door hit you on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Obrieski wrote: »
    Good lad, don’t let the door hit you on the way out

It’s a discussion forum. People should be free to give their opinion on the show’s strengths or weaknesses without being a smart ass about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It’s a discussion forum. People should be free to give their opinion on the show’s strengths or weaknesses without being a smart ass about it.

Calling something Bogball isn't the greatest of opening gambits on an adult discussion of the shows perceived strengths or weaknesses......
    Particularly after the weekend that was in it.

kippy wrote: »
    Calling something Bogball isn't the greatest of opening gambits on an adult discussion of the shows perceived strengths or weaknesses......
    Particularly after the weekend that was in it.

I doubt that was what had big lad delivering his put down. Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

There is a real passive aggressive tone shown from those who like the show to those who criticise the show.

Its clear who is holding the conch in this thread and they feel emboldened by being constantly allowed to ****e all over anyone with an alternative view.

• Advertisement

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    There is a real passive aggressive tone shown from those who like the show to those who criticise the show.

Its clear who is holding the conch in this thread and they feel emboldened by being constantly allowed to ****e all over anyone with an alternative view.
    I've and issue with use of the term Bogball to be honest.
    Criticise the show all you want, have done so myself.

I've an issue with use of the term Bogball to be honest. Absolute nonsense...and not very adult.
    Criticise the show all you want, have done so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Absolutely fine to hold an alternative view if it is articulately presented. The post above is just a straight out attack with additional name calling. If you have to resort to name calling.....

Aidric wrote: »
    Absolutely fine to hold an alternative view if it is articulately presented. The post above is just a straight out attack with additional name calling. If you have to resort to name calling.....

i've seen plenty of smart arsery from the cheerleaders too to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Anyone is allowed have their opinions, but "bogball" - really?
    I remember school kids saying stuff like that and thinking it was ridiculous.

He (I presume he, apologies if not 'thenightman') said he is glad he cancelled the show. The fact the free pod the past couple of weeks was GAA meant there was a football one later on in the week, so you could argue you are getting more value for money from your subscription this month as your fiver gets you pods you actually will listen to and like. I clearly like GAA so maybe I am biased but I listen to the majority of the shows anyway so it doesn't really bother me when in the week it is on.

As for "Completely lost the run of themselves at this stage" - I think that is also over the top.
    The Gibney pod has got good praise from a variety of sources for giving a voice to the victims (However, I was also disappointed and underwhelmed with how it played out at the end).

I can understand people's attitudes towards DOD - not sure I would ever go to see him live but I do listen to his pods as I walk around. Some I like, some I find are a waste. Wouldn't agree having him on means the lads have lost the run of themselves at all. Also "in place of something decent" - the DOD pods are in addition to the pods they were already providing (ok except the 2nd free one on a Monday admittedly) so could be deleted if required.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, and my response was probably a bit smart-alecky, but it was meant in the same tone as the original post which was over the top also, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Obrieski wrote: »
    I can understand people's attitudes towards DOD - not sure I would ever go to see him live but I do listen to his pods as I walk around. Some I like, some I find are a waste. Wouldn't agree having him on means the lads have lost the run of themselves at all. Also "in place of something decent" - the DOD pods are in addition to the pods they were already providing (ok except the 2nd free one on a Monday admittedly) so could be deleted if required.

I noticed there was a big drop off in subs when DOD stopped after the first lockdown and it's gone up by about 700 since he started again, it's more income for little work.

As someone who was called a "fanboy" on the previous thread, I have been critical of them and see some legitimate criticism on here, but it's hard to respect the views of someone who uses derogatory terms and resorts to flat out abuse.

I noticed there was a big drop off in subs when DOD stopped after the first lockdown and it's gone up by about 700 since he started again, it's more income for little work.

As someone who was called a "fanboy" on the previous thread, I have been critical of them and see some legitimate criticism on here, but it's hard to respect the views of someone who uses derogatory terms and resorts to flat out abuse.

DOD would have his own audience alright and maybe more of an international audience. I really enjoyed most of his stuff when isolating down West but haven't dipped into this series at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

kippy wrote: »
    DOD would have his own audience alright and maybe more of an international audience. I really enjoyed most of his stuff when isolating down West but haven't dipped into this series at all.

I assume the data they have show a lot of international downloads. He's always at pains to explain all parts of Irisg culture we'd all be familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

I assume the data they have show a lot of international downloads. He's always at pains to explain all parts of Irisg culture we'd all be familiar with.

Big Mexican listenership apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Two people I know, who would have zero - less than zero - interest in sport subscribed just to listen to the DOD podcast earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

One thing I've noticed with people who seem to object to some of the output of the podcasts is that they cover more than just soccer. Or sport even. For a lot of people (mé féin anyway) I don't want to listen to a soccer podcast, or a pure sports podcast either. That's their edge I feel, that they go beyond that.

Also, not enough comment that it's grunge week...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Post an opinion on a public message board, expect replies. The tone of the criticism was ridiculous. Just name calling, moaning and flat out bullshìt when they somehow think DOD is replacing something else.

Posting criticism is fine, people do it all the time. But do it in such a lazy, vulgar, ignorant way: expect people to take issue.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Post an opinion on a public message board, expect replies. The tone of the criticism was ridiculous. Just name calling, moaning and flat out bullshìt when they somehow think DOD is replacing something else.

Posting criticism is fine, people do it all the time. But do it in such a lazy, vulgar, ignorant way: expect people to take issue.

“Name calling”- bog ball and calling snyed and Delaney “clowns”. He’s not the first to criticize Delaney...at all.. I’m a GAA fan. I wouldn’t even blink at it being called bogball. It wouldn’t even register but if it triggers you and others then ok, maybe it’s a thing I wasn’t aware of.

“Moaning” - or by another word criticism. Honestly it was just criticism. So I don’t know what that means.

“Flat out bull****” - well we have 2 shows on a Monday now- DOD and sport. Before Lockdown and DOD we had 2 shows for sport on a Monday. So it’s not flat out bull****. Again it’s criticism and a reason to not like the show as much as thenightman used to. Completely fair game.

Also seems strange to accuse him of being vulgar and ignorant while you call his opinion flat out bull****.

“Name calling”- bog ball and calling snyed and Delaney “clowns”. He’s not the first to criticize Delaney...at all.. I’m a GAA fan. I wouldn’t even blink at it being called bogball. It wouldn’t even register but if it triggers you and others then ok, maybe it’s a thing I wasn’t aware of.

“Moaning” - or by another word criticism. Honestly it was just criticism. So I don’t know what that means.

“Flat out bull****” - well we have 2 shows on a Monday now- DOD and sport. Before Lockdown and DOD we had 2 shows for sport on a Monday. So it’s not flat out bull****. Again it’s criticism and a reason to not like the show as much as thenightman used to. Completely fair game.

Also seems strange to accuse him of being vulgar and ignorant while you call his opinion flat out bull****.

This was exactly the posters intention I'd say.
    To incite an argument and rile people up.
    You'd get a card for less in other fora.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

dulpit wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed with people who seem to object to some of the output of the podcasts is that they cover more than just soccer. Or sport even. For a lot of people (mé féin anyway) I don't want to listen to a soccer podcast, or a pure sports podcast either. That's their edge I feel, that they go beyond that.

Also, not enough comment that it's grunge week...

I've noticed more complaining about them covering GAA/Rugby on this thread recently, doesn't seem to be an issue on their Patreon/Twitter page, generally I like the Soccer chat but it can be a bit repetitive and long, the political pods can be great or dull depending on the guest, I'd have little interest in Boxing, Tennis or Golf but the contributors are usually interesting, it's hard to please everyone but I think they get the balance right.

On grunge week, I've noticed Ken or Murph didn't seem to get McDevitt's Like a Stone pun, not Audioslave fans obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I enjoy all the content apart from the rugby stuff, I gave up listening to anything rugby related after the interminable Rob Kearney interview.

I've noticed more complaining about them covering GAA/Rugby on this thread recently, doesn't seem to be an issue on their Patreon/Twitter page, generally I like the Soccer chat but it can be a bit repetitive and long, the political pods can be great or dull depending on the guest, I'd have little interest in Boxing, Tennis or Golf but the contributors are usually interesting, it's hard to please everyone but I think they get the balance right.

On grunge week, I've noticed Ken or Murph didn't seem to get McDevitt's Like a Stone pun, not Audioslave fans obviously.

quality tune. Was lucky enough to see them in the point depot (it'll always be the point depot to me).

Ah, look, people can criticise the show, but they can expect pushback if people don't agree. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ken being a secret grunge fan was quite the revelation at the end of the podcast.
    I can imagine a young Ken at Wellington monument with even more unkempt hair and wearing a poncho style jumper.

Think Ken talked about seeing Alice In Chains in 1993 a good while ago, that type of music does fit his general dispostion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Had a feeling they would do the GAA today after the weekend shocks. Normally it wouldn't be a problem when they did two pods on a Monday but they seem to have quietly done away with that.

Ken is more Alice in Chains alright.
    Eoin and Murph are bit more Pearl Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

deisedude wrote: »
    Big Mexican listenership apparently

I'm a subscriber in Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken’s hair is pure grunge week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

al87987 wrote: »