Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I

I am extremely hungover (once in a life time levels), I do love you all, and I’m not claiming credit for creating Brit pop, but…. It’s all good……is Ten Hag Jesus Christ ? Lord and savior ? I would say yes, almost certainly. I will soon be sending individual emails with directions to a hidden prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 19,177 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You're making the drunk posts while hungover there Elton 😜

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good to hear that Todd Terje song on RTE's Euro 2024 ad, wasn't it the song that started the synth week chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A long long weekend for the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

Wouldn't have minded some French Open chat this week considering there's little else going on. 14 time champ Nadal going out in the 1st round (in probably his last FO) vs tournament fave Zvervev (whose court case for domestic battery started in Germany this week). Seemed like enough there for a Caitlyn Thompson segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

That US basketball guy sounds like a dude but I didn’t need to hear half an hour about him

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Arsenal, utd and real Madrid all got results against them by sitting deep and countering this season. Given how bad they've been the last few years, Utd actually have a pretty decent record against city from playing like this.

Obviously they'll pick off weaker teams regardless because there's too big of a gulf in class.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Never listened to the Grateful Dead, always thought they were a punk band, at least they should be with a name like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I actually bought a record of theirs (honestly because I listened to Paulie Mac's podcast for years and he mentioned them every week/five minutes).

Tried hard to like it, didn't quite work for me.

• Advertisement

No doubt Ken is enjoying Lenny Kravitz playing at the start of the Champions League final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I recommend The Festival Express for anyone. The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band amongst others on a train travelling around holding festivals. Good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

My god this Don Diego Torres is a tough listen. Berating Jude Bellingham for about 10 minutes now - a double winner, with 34 goals and assists, all at 20 years old. Of course he's a Balon D'or candidate. And then he goes on to say Courtois is the best GK in history, and won the CL for them. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I would agree with him on Bellingham not doing it in the big games though. Be interesting to see how he does in the Euros. Some of those La Liga teams would probably struggle in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

I always feel Torres goes hard on the contrarian angle for the sake of being controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

I mean he pretty clearly truly believes what he’s saying. It’s very interesting to see a take so close to the machine that is Real that cuts against the popular perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I've watched Bellingham's last 7 CL games and he's been rubbish.

I'm not saying he's rubbish because I've seen him play class before but he's nowhere near Balon D'or imo.

City have at least 4 players that are better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

An incredible amount of sanctimonious bullshit about Rheinmetall yesterday, ffs. We don't live in a world of unicorns and rainbows.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bren2001

We also don't live in a world where the German government should be pressuring a football club to accept a sponsorship deal from anyone let alone a weapons manufacturer. Nor do we live in a world where weapons manufacturers should be sponsoring football teams.

Personally, I like to keep my football and genocide separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i agree with you but we definitely seem to be in the minority going by patreon comments. obviously people have their views on israel/gaza and ukraine/russia and I won't get into that, but I don't understand being against any and all weapons manufacturers. actually, i suppose it does make sense if the whole world agrees not to make any weapons, but that's not going to happen. are people OK with no western countries making weapons but russia/china pumping them out?

• Advertisement

What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

are people OK with no western countries making weapons but russia/china pumping them out?

Apparently so. The hypocrisy is nauseating, the naivete laughable.

I've asserted nothing without evidence. I've repeated what the podcast said.

I don't want weapons manufacturers anywhere near football. The same way I don't want petrochemical states sponsoring football teams. As I said, I like to keep genocide and football separate. Clearly, you don't have an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The podcast presented no evidence that Germany pressured rheinmentall. It was a theory of Ken’s which is fine but that’s all it is: a theory.

In terms of genocide, well the actual last few recorded official instances of genocide in the world happened because the west didn’t bring force to bear on the perpetrators before it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That Spanish lad was painful. Utter refusal to give Vini any credit was frankly bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Yes, you repeated the BS they came out with…

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I think it’s safe to assume most people here will have already heard what was said on the podcast.

• Advertisement

One aspect of what I said was a repeat of that and which you decided to focus on.

The other part which is that I prefer my football separate to a weapons manufacturer is one you choose to ignore. Theres no BS there. Its simply an opinion. Weapons manufacturers have no place in football the exact same way petrochemical states who have committed mass genocide have no place in football. Of course, that's my opinion. There was nothing sanctimonious about it. Its Germany committing sportswashing and it should be called out just like Man City and the like.

As I said, I'd like to keep football and genocide separate.

Advertisement