Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

First half of today's pod was a total disaster technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Quango Unchained

I don't believe that getting rid of off-side would result in lumping it up to the big man. In GAA these days, they still try and play out from the back and retain possession. I'd at least like to see it tried in football between elite sides over a period of time to see how it works.

Technology is ruining the game. It should be the same game from lowest amateur level to the highest professional level. You can't police off-side fairly without technology. Hence it makes sense to get rid of off-side and technology at the same time. Goals should be celebrated in the moment.

This is the most "technological" competition in history and it hasn't been great so far.

Football is one of the most watched and played sports because of its simplicity. Not much equipment is needed. Rules are straightforward. Technology is getting away from that simplicity.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Allow the player to dribble or pass from the kick-ins, as they do at underage. I think this would be an improvement over throw-ins.

Allow the player to dribble, pass or shoot from free kicks. This would allow a free kick taker to take a step and hit around any walls. It would make free kicks more exciting. Have there been any free kicks scored in this competition?

Corners and free-kicks are damp squibs currently.

My concern about changing the game too much and making it too attacking is that it would be advantageous to the stronger teams. What makes football so enjoyable to watch is that it is unpredictable, goals are hard to come by and Iceland can beat England on occasion. That aspect of the game should be kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭bren2001

Technology is ruining the game. It should be the same game from lowest amateur level to the highest professional level. You can't police off-side fairly without technology. Hence it makes sense to get rid of off-side and technology at the same time. Goals should be celebrated in the moment.

Offsides were policed fairly from the creation of the game until 2016.

That's not the case and hasn't been for quite some time. Pandoras box has been opened and it can't be shut. I also disagree that the argument exists for it to be removed. If we reverted to the offside without technology for the elite level, it would return to what we had before which nobody had an issue with. There were contentious offsides but overall it was broadly agreed the rule was good (Wenger aside nowadays).

Comparing GAA which is an entirely different game to football is pointless. Big man at the edge of the square is a tactic that is sometimes used but goals are not everything in GAA and its relatively easy to defend against. Football is entirely different. If offside was scrapped, big man at the edge of the box would be the very first thing people try. It would make the game a terrible spectacle and not something many people are calling for. There really is no issue with offside. The current issue is with technology and semi-automated solves that. Going back to no technology also probably solves that.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Sure but I don't think much of what your proposing is an improvement. They're changes for changes sake (imo).

Allow the player to dribble or pass from the kick-ins…Allow the player to dribble, pass or shoot from free kicks.

Sure. I don't think that changes much.

Of course, they're your opinions but this is SCs thread and this has nothing to do with SCs so I'm gonna stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Quango Unchained

Hockey scrapped offside - see the article below. I'd like to see it tried over the course of a season at a high enough level to see how it would work and how teams would adapt to it. It would definitely have the benefit of making football more free-flowing, less stop-start, less interruptions to the game, less contentious decisions, making it easier to referee the game, making the pitch bigger.

Too many people are fundamentalist about it though so unless there's a Catholic / Protestant, rugby union / rugby league style split it will never happen. It took over a hundred years to bring in the back-pass rule - nobody would want that gotten rid of now. They are now only allowing captains to speak to the ref - another good idea very long overdue.

I'll say no more on it here and to bring it back to the Second Captains - potential rule changes to football would make a good topic for debate on the podcast.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12249982/marco-van-basten-on-the-offside-law-why-it-should-be-scrapped-and-the-hockey-precedent-that-might-surprise#:~:text=%22Without%20offside%2C%20you%20then%20have,around%20teams%20or%20through%20teams.%22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I've been listening to Ciarán Murphy's audiobook this morning. So far so good but I find it very annoying how he refers to his father as "dad", and not "my dad" but "dad".

For eg "So dad was training the under 16s.."

Or "Dad was driving down to Galway..."

That's ok if you're talking to one of your brothers but not in a podcast or in an audiobook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wouldn't that point be more relevant if he was on about someone else's dad? He's only ever on about his own dad so no need for further clarification. Didn't even notice when I read it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Pity Malachy Clerkin hasn't been on doing the hurling in recent weeks, be gooud to have someone who'll argue Jamie's opinion every now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Shíte Euros huh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭bren2001

I didn't realize whether the Euros is good or bad boils down to a single game…

Wonder why Cucurella is keeping the arms behind his back so much tonight

Why are the RTE crew so misinformed, it was an accredited cameraman that slipped and accidentally tackled Morata

No one to blame for it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Advertisement