Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

You just knew Rovers were screwed the moment Branno gave it large. Still managed to find a way to slide under that low bar of expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Weird interview with Arthur Mathews (one t) about his Kevin O’Higgins book. He seemed annoyed that Ken challenged his viewpoint and was unable to properly articulate his arguments. Seemed like he was coming to the issue as an advocate rather than a nominally dispassionate historian.

Post edited by cheese sandwich on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭joinme

And he either speaks in a very low tone or they needed to push his levels a bit. I couldn't take to him, not a great interviewee

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Yeah that Mathews guy seemed a bit weird, kept brushing off what his chosen side did, while going on about what the other side did. I know the word is thrown around a lot nowadays, but it was classic whataboutism. Weird character otherwise, I can't imagine reading a book from him would be a good exercise for someone who wants to get a realistic and balanced idea about what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I spent the whole interview picturing Graham Linehan in my head for some odd reason. Maybe because they sound kinda alike

Won't be giving that book a read anyway, his whole argument seemed to be that the Anti Treaty started it which justified the Free State's actions, he also kinda dismissed Ballyseedy because of what happened in Knocknagoshel. Bit of a weird opinion he has on it all really

No, not for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Listening to him today and knowing how Linehan has turned out in the past few years, it's incredible that they are the two guys who wrote a series as good as Fr Ted…

He seemed immediately put out by Ken's "this book passed me by originally" comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I agree with the above about the interview, but my main take away is that Ken appears to be unbelievably well-read across so many topics OR works incredibly hard to prepare for interviews such as this which is almost equally as impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I can understand a historical book having a specific bias or slant. But jesus that Arthur Mathews interview was hard listening to. In short: free state good, Republicans bad. Anything the free state did was fine.

The fact he downplayed the ballyseedy massacre was very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It didn't make me want to buy the book, but I still thought it was an interesting interview. Nice to hear different perspectives discussed by people who know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I didn't find it to be that bad an interview either to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 choosetheend

I thought it was a weird interview. There was a lot of Ken asking an interesting/probing question and then Mathews saying, "yeah?"

Fairly interesting topic but Mathews didn't seem very familiar, to me, with his chosen subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That Rich Jolly lad doesn't bring much to the table.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken's right about Oasis, they were nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

You take that back they defined my teenage years 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Disappointed that the proper pronunciation of 'tousled' wasn't resolved today and was forced to look it up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd disagree and would go to see them in Croker if i got ticket, but the frenzy around almost all big events since Covid is getting a bit much now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They're not awful either, given how cocky the Gallaghers are all the hype around them you'd expect something more from them, this sketch sums them up perfectly.

Loved the interview with Rhasidat, she has a great attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

What I don't like about interviews like this (with people from sports that they don't follow) is that interviewers like Eoin (and he's not alone with this) can't help but ask a drug related question.

They wouldn't ask a rugby player about drugs - "how did you feel like playing against those dodgy South Africans?"

To my mind, it doesn't add anything to the chat and we never get a good answer, except the obvious one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭bren2001

I think you're quite wide of the mark here. When Grobler signed for Munster, it was all anyone could talk about. Plenty of people were asked about it.

Considering it probably cost her a medal it seems like a genuine question but there's not really much she could say outside of what she said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

What a welcome surprise having Cian Ward on for the GAA episode. Found him brilliant on Wooly’s GAA podcast before it went behind a paywall. Would absolutely love him to feature more often. I’ve grown to Oisin McConville but just himself paired with Micheal Murphy, it’s very monotone and hard to get into at times. Perhaps I’m in the minority there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭bren2001

So much better than Flynn and Murphy. First GAA pod I've enjoyed in quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Stephen Kenny may be incredibly thin-skinned and ill-equipped for top level football but his dedication to having a running battle with RTE and losing aboard is admirable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

You're an absolute bore when it comes to Stephen Kenny.

Great episode today, Ken in free flow story telling mode is always a good listen. Branno bursting his hole in the background too added to it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Loved today's rambles from Ken, it's what differentiates second captain's from other sports podcasts and they do it dam well... Or should I say Ken does

• Advertisement

Part of why it works too is how Eoin and Murph will spur him on and don't try reign him in.

I thought Murph was quite funny too with his random comments, him taking the piss out of Eoin's inability to multiply was very good

Advertisement